“JUST PERRRFECT”

Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
united kingdom
“JUST PERRRFECT”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have just come back from another 2 weeks at the Aegean and as usual it was just perfect. I go twice a year in June and Sept and just love it. We've been going 11 years now and it feels like home every time. When you arrive you really will love the way the rooms are built into the hillside (which makes it so pretty) and the gardens are so well maintained, bravo to the gardeners.

As for the pool area; it is very clean and the pool is big, I just love lying there looking at the pretty lay-out of the hillside and gardens. There's also a very clean snack bar which I must say do a fab pizza lol. Plenty of sun beds which you don't have to run for first thing in morn.

The restaurant is a nice size with outside seats too, also very clean. The food is of a high standard and caters for every nationality, which I like as I get to eat a mixture of foods. The bread and desserts (which like the other food is made on site) are to die for, so if you don't eat much main, the lovely fruit, deserts and ice cream to indulge in, and then followed by cheese and bread.

As for the waiters and helpers they are very professional and friendly which is nice, nothing is too much trouble.

The rooms are modern bright and air conditioned and cleaned to a high standard which is a winner for me, there's always clean daily towels and bedding. I can't fault how hard those ladies work every day to keep the whole place spotless.

As for the staff and management all I can say is a big thank you, you are the most friendly helpful people I've met; nothing is too much trouble and the staff must be happy as quite a few have been there years.

Well I could bang on all day bout the Aegean village, but all I know is there are lots of loyal regulars who like me go back year after year, so it's nice to see a familiar face as well as making new friends of all nationality. If you want to know anymore please don't hesitate to message me.

Keep up the good work Aegean village! You're the best !

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank clareking91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel complex is great the staff are welcoming and helpful the rooms spotless and the mix of nationalities amounts the guests makes for a relaxing time. The half board is great food wise and I hope that this does not change as all inclusive seems to encourage loutish behaviour
As to the one or two Brits who seem to have a problem with 'different nationalities ' do not go abroad because the those Brits become the foreigners so become the the problem

Room Tip: The rooms are quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chris S
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at the Aegean Village in August 2013 and we could not have chosen a better place to stay during our time in Kos. The accommodation is high standard and all the staff are very friendly, they could not do enough to ensure your stay is a memorable one.
Our trip was a belated honeymoon and being a same sex couple we were a bit unsure how we would be received. This made no difference and we were afforded the same respect and treatment given to any other newlywed couple. The food was served buffet style with a good varied choice.
Everything within the complex was spotlessly clean and well cared for. The apartment style rooms are spread out up a hill but the village provides a 24hr shuttle bus service to take you up and down from your room to the maim complex.
We would not hesitate to return here or recommend to anyone.

Allan and Brian McKenzie-Kerr. Aberdeen Scotland

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am Greek - Australian and met up with friends of mine from the UK at this hotel in August 2013. We had a wonderful time all round.
The facilities are so very clean, the views of the Aegean Sea are indescribable, and the staff, eventhough very busy, are very friendly, starting from the cleaning ladies who will always say goodmorning with a smile on their face, to the reception staff who will always help you, the waiters who will serve you hot coffe or tea in the morning. The managers and owners (from what we understood it is family run businees) will always say hello to you and if you speak to them will be very polite and friendly with you as well.
The food was freshly cooked on site, with very high quality food, and fresh vegetables that were brought in on a daily basis, as we saw them unloading all types of fruits and vegetables on several ocassions. As IO heard some comments about there not being Greek food, myself being Half Greek found dishes like mousaka, kalamari, tzatziki, spinach pie, oven potatoes with oregano and many many more Greek dishes throughout my 1 week stay. Breakfast was lovely with a wide range of cereals, fruits, croissants, 3 types of eggs, baked beans, 5-6 types of freshly baked breads which were still warm from the oven on most ocassions. It would be easier to right down what wasnt on thtat breakfast buffet.
Yes, the restaurant can get busy at times, but then again you have the choice of coming down a bit later and having a lovely quiet dinner on the balcony overlooking the pool and the sea.
The animation team were lots of fun, that didnt bug you to take part if you were not interested.
The evening entertainment was quite enjoyable, and the Greek night with a alive professional orchestra and professional Greek dancers was great. They also offer Greek souvalik on that night which the chef and his cooks are bbq- inf in front of you...yummyyyyy...!!
On another night of the week they also have this other professional dance group come in from the UK with great costumes which was most enjoyable.
Kardamena was a 10-15 minute walk away, or the public bus runs right outside every hour or so, otherwise a taxi only costs 7 euro which is nothing when split by 4 people. Nice little Greek traditional fishing village, with restaurants and bars.
Its good to hire car for a day and have tour of the island, the beaches in kefalos are gorgeous.
I have read some of the previous racist reviews and it is really quite upsetting how people cannot mix and mingle with people of other nationalities. Whilst there, I spoke with people from YES Germany which were loely, Italians, Austrians, French, Swiss and a few other European countries.
I had a great time and so did our friends from the UK.
It is a lovely, very Greek hotel, reasonably priced for a 4 star hotel.
Would I go back? Definately!!!

Room Tip: Be polite and friendly and everyone else will return the friendliness. The higher up the room the be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lovetravels77
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Accommodation-
Impersonal 300 rooms, very clean, reasonable airconditioning, stunning views, a breathless hike up the steps to anything above level 3.

Staff- surly, unfriendly unless you sprechen Deutsch which seems to be the hotel's staple tourist fodder. I love the previous comment about the Fawlty Towers like owner. Reminded us of Slugworth from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Rudely demanded we come back down to reception immediately to settle our €5,40 drinks bill that we forgot to pay at dinner in the canteen, even though we were staying another 4 days. Even had the cheek to ask a lady who stopped by our table for a chat if she knew where we'd gone and if she'd like to pay our bill- horrendous!
Whilst German visitors were patted on the back, talked to regularly and asked if they needed anything else or general chit chat about their holiday.

Food- average fried breakfast, breads, tinned fruit and cereals. Still a reasonable start to the day if you can bear the military canteen atmosphere. Dinner- disappointing day one, hopeful day two but sadly disappointed again and by day 3, off to a nice local taverna- try Pelagos on the harbour front in Kardamena town.
German standard stodgy food- sauce on everything, school canteen atmosphere and pretty tasteless. Isn't this Greece? Where is the souvlaki? Moussaka? Stifado? Instead tray after tray of kartoffeln, Schwein, fleisch im gypsy sause.. Get the idea. We skipped 4 nights out of 7 as we just couldn't face another evening staring at bland food in a canteen full of Hans und Helga.

Entertainment- gotta give them credit for trying but it was beyond laughable. We were hoping for Neptunes at the Solana perhaps.. More local youth club meets Woman's institute.
Water aerobics was pitiful and karaoke was like The Hoff on acid.

Go back to Kos? Definitely.
Go back to Aegean Village? Maybe if it was free and I could eat out every night or become a little more cosmopolitan in terms of guests. Typical clientele?- German, Russian and definitely drawing a pension.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank TimmyFK
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the Aegean during the first week of September.

We found plenty more pros to our stay than cons and were very satisfied as everything was very last minute for us!

Pros!

- First of all we were really taken with the beauty of the hotel. The Aegean is built into a hillside with individual blocks spaced out up to the peak. Typical whitewashed stone buildings and really well landscaped gardens.

- Rooms - I personally was really impressed with the room we got. We were allocated room 304 which was literally 2 minutes away from the reception area. The blocks have one room above and one room below, and unfortunately ours was a ground floor room which didn't provide the best views, however A+ for convenience. The rooms were well equipped for our needs with a fridge, air con, a flat screen TV (Only one English channel, but hey you don't go on holiday to watch TV!) and comfortable beds. Stylish and comfortable so very happy. The other rooms go right up the hillside which I can imagine would be quite a trek everyday but the hotel does offer a very efficient 24hr mini bus service :)

- Pool - The pool was massive and kept clean. There were always plenty of free sun-beds it being just out of season. You do get a touch of sun-bed reserving but it didn't matter so much during our week.

- Meals - Happy with the available foods, ESPECIALLY Breakfast. Even if we had sore heads from the night before we made sure we were up in time to gorge ourselves in the morning! Dinner didn't have as much choice as Breakfast seemed to but did seem to cater to all tastes considering there were many nationalities stopping at the hotel. Lots of tasty meals available at a cost at lunch time, but everything was reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend the Pork Gyros, they were delicious!

- Location - The hotel is a good 15-20 minute walk into the centre of Kardamena for us , however we found this walk along the seafront comfortable at night and during the day. If you don't want a hotel right in the middle of the towns nightlife then the Aegean is perfect for you.

- Staff - MOST of the staff were really friendly especially those in the poolbar/mainbar and reception. They offer an at seat service and are always pleasant and efficient.

Ok..so thats the pros for us over there were a few teeny tiny niggles the first being..

- Management - As mentioned in some of the reviews below the hotel management seem to always be harsh on their own employees, usually during the Dinner and Breakfast service. This did make me and my boyfriend feel a little uncomfortable at times. We also had a mini dispute with one of the management at the end of our holiday which left us feeling a little bit like cattle being herded out ready for the next lot to arrive. Some improvements could be made here.

- Beach - The beach is smallish, nice and sandy / shingly, However there were not enough sun-beds and parasols for the hotels guests. Another note was after sunbathing for over an hour we were woken up and told we needed to pay for the use of the sun-beds. Wasn't exactly explained to us before hand, maybe I should've read the reviews a little more thoroughly ;) Please do not let this put you off though because all in all I was happy with the quality of the beach.

To summarize the Aegean is a beautiful hotel with lots of fantastic features. I have already recommended it to friends and family.Kardamena has lots of amazing restaurants, our favorite being Pelagos on the seafront. Theres a whole host of tavernas, bars, touristy type shops and excursions to enjoy in the area :) We would definitely consider returning here again!

Just a quick note, we are a couple traveling together in our twenties.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 500s seemed to have the best views but be prepared for a walk!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Fletchyyy
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hi. Returned on Sunday after a weeks break at this hotel / village. I shall break it down into categories. Accommodation, food, staff, facilities.
Accommodation.
This is a gorgeous place. It looks as it does, very Greek, blues, whites, yellows, stunning !. We had rooms at the top, 621 and then 618. Two rooms as the 1st flooded when Mrs H had a bath. When the bath plug was lifted. As it wouldn't operate with the plug device / lifter, the whole bath water re entered via a drain under the bathroom sink, flooding the whole area. Not very good. After 3 calls to 3 different members of reception staff, we got the move i requested and relocated to a room just a couple of rooms along. No big deal really, but beware of taking a bath on the upper levels, oh and ants posed a problem in our 1st room but not in the 2nd.
We had reviewed this hotel, obviously, and were not surprised with the layout. Our rooms where situated at the top of the hill. Not a problem !!. The courtesy bus ferries you around 24.7. But you have the option to walk back. 177 steps for us, or a nice stroll on the roadway. It only took us 5 mins to do the steps or the road, either way, and it was exercise !!.

Okay. Not the best despite what other reviewers state. As its half board you might expect quality fodder. We don't think this is the case, 5x isn't it?. We recon its 3x at the best. I like an egg for breakfast with toast. No toast, which we knew, fried eggs are cold every morning, beans every other day, and just no where near 5x. The subdued Mr Fawlty will pop up later !!. Evening meals aren't up to much either, boring to say the least. All, the deserts are just open for all to cough on, sneeze on, pick up and examine and put back down, hope hands are clean, and no cold area for them, bit unhygienic at best. The food area is a very large canteen, with canteen facilities, it is not a restaurant !!. Far to crowded. I went at 7.45 for my breakfast most mornings, and the eggs are still flippin cold haha, but it was not as busy thankfully. So be warned. It's not the best. You will find food and drinks quite expensive when you have to buy them. Oh, the poolside restaurant is quite nice, I can recommend the freshly baked to order pizza, gorgeous. The gyro plate is a fatty, charred plated of meat, on a fried bread with chips. Don't order separate chips !! it's to much food, and its just not as nice as others state, but the food is quite nice in general If you buy a bottle of wine from the supermarket on site, and its not that good, it will cost you about 9€. Walk into kardamina, took me 30 mins there and back, you get 3 blossom hill for the price of 1 bottle of agean white, stock up as a one off, it's worth it. Get all your booze and water, crisps etc, it will save you a fortune, get a short cab ride back, it's honestly worth it as a one off at the start of your holiday.

Staff, hahaha, shall enjoy this
All British guests will be familiar with Basil Fawlty. He's here, be it somewhat subdued. Check him out lurking out around the canteen and poolside food area, ok he's a Greek version. He's like a hawk just waiting to pounce. I was just waiting for him t smack the back of a head of an unsuspecting Manuel, opps sorry, thanasis, but he never did alas, but a constant source of amusement at each meal, ( you will see what I mean) Manuel, Manuel. Honestly he's brill. We found all staff, all, very friendly and polite, helpful. I have to mention our waiter in the canteen, costas. What a lovely, friendly, nice guy. Great service from this guy at all times, made our dining experience here bearable.
The owner !!!
What a horrible person.
You will see this thing, old, grey hair, suited and booted, around the food areas and bar in the evening. If you see it smile try and take a pic, it must be a miracle. You would think, as the owner, he would be having a chat, welcoming his guests, yeh right. Never have I seen such a miserable, horrible host. He seems to relish rollicking his staff in front of the guests, one such incident at the poolside food area, awful !!! This is not a nice person, you can't miss him

Facilities

A very large pool, if a bit dated and grubby around the edges, but the place is about 25 years old. I Have to say that this is the 1st hotel we have stayed in where you don't have to worry about the loungers, as others state. You can always have a choice throughout the day, all day, every day, it's great!! Loads always empty. The pool bar is run by great and friendly fellas, they cotton on to your routine quickly, nice guys. The animation team seem to do a good job to, credit to them. We didn't use any other of the facilities on ofer as it was a pool, chilling holiday.

Overall then.

A very gorgeous place. The sea views are just the best, well the higher you get, just spectacular. Don't worry about the hill, the bus provides, with very nice drivers, I forgot about them, thank you to all of ya !! Foods not the best, unless your easily pleased, no problems getting a lounger, loads of Germans, our neighbours switze and French, both charming. Would we come again? Nope. Despite the overall niceness of the place, and it Is, it's not a 5* gaff, it's 3* and expensive. Got a nice tan though. See ya, but not there.

Thanks

Room Tip: Read my review. Don't worry about the top of the hill as if you don't mind the 177 steps, ye...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ian h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Sovereign Beach Hotel
#15 of 39 in Kardamena
Nissia Kamares Hotel Apartments
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa

Been to Lagas Aegean Village? Share your experiences!