“Don't believe the hype!”

Lagas Aegean Village
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed September 25, 2011

First things first - let me set you straight on the reviews on here of this hotel - I am highly suspicous of them. This hotel is perfectly adequate but by no stretch of the imagination is it as good as most of the reviews on here say it is. I booked to stay at the Aegean Village on the strength of the fantastic reviews on here and was a little disappointed when I got there - I'll get into why in a moment, I just wanted to make that clear first and say that in my opinion some of these reviews must be dodgy - i.e. hotel writing them themselves or asking guests to write them.

Here's my realistic review!

Overall the Aegean Village is ok. The things we liked were:

The room - nice, clean, good bathroom, good aircon, balcony with nice sea view and comfortable bed

The pool area - big, clean pool, lots of comfortable sun loungers available all day

The grounds - nice gardens and everything was kept clean (also lots of friendly cats and kittens around!)

The food - good selection of fresh food at breakfast and dinner for a mass catering buffet set up. My girlfriend struggled a bit as a veggie, she mostly ate soup, salad and pasta

Good gym - although beware they charge you 5 euros per day to use it - which is not advertised on website / in brochure

On site shop - handy to buy drinks to stock up fridge in room, we found ourselves going there everyday as was easier than lugging bottles of water 25 minutes back from kardamena.

The aspects that let the hotel down are:

Rude, unfriendly, unhelpful reservations manager - he really doesn't know the meaning of customer service - a bit of a joke really given he won't let any of the other reception staff deal with guests other than himself

Poor service in restaurant - during breakfast and dinner the waiting staff were slow to serve, at breakfast I think there was a rule that we were only allowed one serving of tea or coffee, we saw a fellow guest reprimanded by a waiter for getting up to serve himself some coffee after waiting for so long for a refill! Waiting staff were also miserable and looked as though they didn't want to be there - after asking our waiter a couple of times how he was, we gave up as he always answered, "I'm tired"! The restaurant itself is a bit dated, a bit 1970s

The lunch cafeteria - a weird school canteen set up where the food was quite expensive for lunch. We ate there once and didn't enjoy it so didn't have lunch there again

The beach - If you are looking for a beach holiday then this place isn't for you. I won't lie - the beach is rubbish! It's very close to the main road, rocky, not so much sandy and there were visible drainage pipes leading from the road to the beach - yuk!

The location - the hotel is a good 20 minute walk into Kardamena which some nights just felt too long to bother with, especially as the walk didn't have the nicest views and Kardamena was nothing to write home about (typical Brits abroad affair).

We had a good holiday overall, but I struggle to see how reviewers can give this hotel 5 stars due to the poor customer service. I say this having also spoken to other guests at the hotel who felt exactly the same way.

Don't judge Kos by Kardamena - there are far more lovely places to visit, e.g. Kos town, Zia, Mastihari.

Also - beware of Kos airport which is an absolute nightmare!

Room Tip: Definitely hire a car to explore the nicer places Kos has to offer - Kos town, Zia, Mastihari. There...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Barry S

Reviewed September 24, 2011

What a wonderful hotel. The staff were all friendly and helpful, in fact couldn't do enough for you. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. The food was very good and lots of variety. We were pleasantly surprised with the price of the lunches at the pool bar. The pool was fantastic.

The entertainment team worked very hard, I can't say we entered into anything they did mainly because we liked to walk into Kardamena in the evenings and just relax either by the pool or on the beach during the day. However, if you have children or you want to be involved in table tennis, tennis, water aerobics, football, beach volleyball, crazy golf, then you will be made very welcome.

Ok, the hotel is built on a hill but if you, like us, were in a room near the top, fear not, there is a mini bus constantly running round to take you up and even bring you down if you wish. At busy times there are two buses so you don't have to wait too long.

We would have no hesitation of going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on a lower level are easier to reach on foot, without having to use the mini bus.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dk_iom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I love this hotel, ive been going for 10 years now in mid june an end of aug and its gets better and better every time.What i love about it is how clean it is and that a big plus to me also how friendly ppl are, over the years ive made friends there and its fab to see them every year.
The breakfast has everything you need to set you up for the day and dinner has a good selection so you shouldnt go hungry, The cakes and bread are made at the hotel and are to die for lol.
The town is a 20 min walk or 2 stops on the bus, its a lively town and great for us oldies to ppl watch at the local cocktail bars and also the town is far away to have a good nites sleep.
The hotel has activites throughout the day and mini disco in the evening with entertainment for the family after.
So really if you want a clean friendly and beautiful scenery then give this hotel ago and i hope you get to love it like i do.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clareking91
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Returned yesterday from this lovely hotel. The hotel itself is one of the cleanest and prettiest we have stayed in and the most welcoming. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The restaurant manager has received some bad press but we found him to be very attentive and friendly as was the hotel manager.The food was always hot and well cooked but did lack a little in variety, having said this we always enjoyed our meals.The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, sheets, bedding and towels were snow white and regularly changed. The entertainment team worked hard to involve everyone during the daytime activities but were never pushy. The evening entertainment was the usual bingo karioke,etc if you wanted it or you could sit at the top bar and have a quiet drink. All in all a fab relaxing holiday would definately visit again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jill5011
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Just returned from my first trip to Kos staying at the Aegean Village. First impressions are great as the hotel is stunning and the rooms excellent. I stayed in room 358 which enjoyed an excellent sea view from the small (shared) balcony but wasn't too far from the pool/bar/restaurant etc.

Pool area is very nice and we didn't have any issues securing sun beds at any time of the day.

The staff at the hotel work extremely hard and are generally very friendly - especially if you put a bit of effort in by smiling and chatting to them. The evening entertainment is a bit lame but it is only a short walk/taxi ride into town where there is a diverse range of bars and restaurants as well as a few clubs.

I found the food a bit hit and miss - breakfast and dinner are typical mass-catering buffet restaurant fare which was OK but can get a bit samey. Lunch is served in a slightly bizarre self-service "school canteen" snack bar which I didn't enjoy although on Sunday there is a BBQ which was excellent.

Overall I enjoyed the holiday and would definitely consider going back to this hotel but would probably budget to have a few more meals away from the hotel.

Room Tip: It's all been said in previous reviews - higher numbers get better views but are a bit of a hass...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Surby_Girl
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A wonderful place,friendly hosts, very good food and comfortable rooms.Nice sights

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank colinetm
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I travelled with a friend on a first visit not just to Kos but to any Greek Island. The hotel looked spectacular on the First Choice website and we were really looking forward to it. Before we left we read the reviews on here, most good but the odd negative review which always puts me on edge...I needn't have worried.

The Aegean Village is a beautiful hotel built into the hillside that we flew over on our way in, first impressions were breathtaking, it really is a wonderful setting. We contacted the hotel beforehand with a couple of requests and questions, these were dealt with to my appreciation and with minimal fuss. We got a room on the first "layer" room 126, a fairly simple room, sure there is little on the tv in English, but quite why anybody would want tv choice in this setting is beyond me. The rooms were spotlessly clean, had plenty of storage space, a good well presented bathroom and were comfortably all we needed. We had a lovely view of the Aegean from our room (sure the higher ones were better view wise but we loved ours) and a little 'balcony' to relax as we wanted.

All the amenities are close together, the pool is very nice and we had zero issue with sunbeds, morning, noon or night there was availability despite the hotel being very busy. The bars are all very nice and we loved the pool bar, the service there was outstanding and we really liked the staff. The entertainment was plentiful, sure its simple, but what exactly do people expect in a holiday hotel? There were plenty of activities to take part in if you wished (my friend did) or you could just relax (as I did). In the evening they put on something different every night and while its nothing special, we happily spent 6 of our 7 nights there and really enjoyed it.

The food was very nice, for a week it was great and given the weather I didn't want much in the way of hot food anyway but maybe after a couple of weeks it might have got samey? Don't know, wasn't a problem for us. The hotel has it all covered, bars, restaurants for all meals and entertainment, or you can take the 10-15 minute stroll to Kardamena, a pretty town and a bit more 'touristy'.

Some complained about having to pay for sunbeds on the beach (not hotel owned), a whole 6 Euros for two for the full day in a country whose economy has collapsed, hardly a hardship! Also others complained of having to wear trousers for dinner, honestly is it that big a problem if you know? I don't want to stare at men's legs at dinner so was more than happy. The one thing you need to be ready for is that very few places in the area (hotel included) take cards, you need plenty of cash to go...but as long as you know beforehand its not an issue.

The only thing I didn't get was the strange pricing policy for the drinks which was different in each location and I couldn't really understand why. I haven't seen that before but its most certainly not a deal breaker! I can't recommend this hotel enough, or Kardamena, or indeed Kos...and if you get the chance to visit Nisyros, don't miss it.

Room Tip: If you are happy walking ask for a higher room, but the lower ones are just fine
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends