First things first - let me set you straight on the reviews on here of this hotel - I am highly suspicous of them. This hotel is perfectly adequate but by no stretch of the imagination is it as good as most of the reviews on here say it is. I booked to stay at the Aegean Village on the strength of the fantastic reviews on here and was a little disappointed when I got there - I'll get into why in a moment, I just wanted to make that clear first and say that in my opinion some of these reviews must be dodgy - i.e. hotel writing them themselves or asking guests to write them.
Here's my realistic review!
Overall the Aegean Village is ok. The things we liked were:
The room - nice, clean, good bathroom, good aircon, balcony with nice sea view and comfortable bed
The pool area - big, clean pool, lots of comfortable sun loungers available all day
The grounds - nice gardens and everything was kept clean (also lots of friendly cats and kittens around!)
The food - good selection of fresh food at breakfast and dinner for a mass catering buffet set up. My girlfriend struggled a bit as a veggie, she mostly ate soup, salad and pasta
Good gym - although beware they charge you 5 euros per day to use it - which is not advertised on website / in brochure
On site shop - handy to buy drinks to stock up fridge in room, we found ourselves going there everyday as was easier than lugging bottles of water 25 minutes back from kardamena.
The aspects that let the hotel down are:
Rude, unfriendly, unhelpful reservations manager - he really doesn't know the meaning of customer service - a bit of a joke really given he won't let any of the other reception staff deal with guests other than himself
Poor service in restaurant - during breakfast and dinner the waiting staff were slow to serve, at breakfast I think there was a rule that we were only allowed one serving of tea or coffee, we saw a fellow guest reprimanded by a waiter for getting up to serve himself some coffee after waiting for so long for a refill! Waiting staff were also miserable and looked as though they didn't want to be there - after asking our waiter a couple of times how he was, we gave up as he always answered, "I'm tired"! The restaurant itself is a bit dated, a bit 1970s
The lunch cafeteria - a weird school canteen set up where the food was quite expensive for lunch. We ate there once and didn't enjoy it so didn't have lunch there again
The beach - If you are looking for a beach holiday then this place isn't for you. I won't lie - the beach is rubbish! It's very close to the main road, rocky, not so much sandy and there were visible drainage pipes leading from the road to the beach - yuk!
The location - the hotel is a good 20 minute walk into Kardamena which some nights just felt too long to bother with, especially as the walk didn't have the nicest views and Kardamena was nothing to write home about (typical Brits abroad affair).
We had a good holiday overall, but I struggle to see how reviewers can give this hotel 5 stars due to the poor customer service. I say this having also spoken to other guests at the hotel who felt exactly the same way.
Don't judge Kos by Kardamena - there are far more lovely places to visit, e.g. Kos town, Zia, Mastihari.
Also - beware of Kos airport which is an absolute nightmare!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lagas Aegean Village is a hotel resort located on the golden sandy shores of the south coast of Kos Island, Greece. It's layout and use of space is characteristic of the distinctive Aegean architecture. Built on a slope, every corner offers magnificent views of the endless deep blue Aegean Sea.The main building lounges, restaurants, bars and facilities are located at the bottom of the slope, while all 330 rooms are situated on the hillside, which are accessed by the 24hour complimentary minibus service. It is worth mentioning that the hotel underwent a complete renovation in 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Bookgreece.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lagas Aegean Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lagas Aegean Village Hotel Kardamena
- Hotel Aegean Village
- Aegean Village Kardamena
- Aegean Village Kos
- Lagas Aegean Village Kos/Kardamena