I have just returned from a weeks holiday at this hotel. I was a lover, up until this stay, of the Mtsis brand having visited 3 others in their portfolio in the last 3 years, both 5* hotels in Rhodes and Crete and completely deserving of that title. Thomson have this hotel listed as a 4* and that is probably right depending on the level of service you encounter from some members of the hotel staff. I have to say I've stayed at far better 4* hotels that do not benefit from a 5* star label given by other companies and that the Hotel advertises itself as. The room as expected with a Mtsis Hotel was a good standard and the hotel always kept the mini-bar fairly well stocked and for free. The air-conditioning could have been better as it was 31 degrees all week and still very hot in the evenings. The hallways weren't air-conditioned and sometimes it was quite uncomfortable walking in them, I know the maids found it hard to work in them.
The hotel grounds are quite lovely with the setting of the cliffs behind and being in close vicinity to the beach. Their were some fantastic views over some of small islands close and the southern end of Kos itself. The resort is in a cluster of 4 Mtsis Hotels which does work well as the Mtsis village. The beach is nice, and the pools are of good quality and size. I did notice the top pool had no Lifeguard, I can't be sure about the second pool, but for the amount of children in this hotel that did seem strange. The one thing I have to mention is that throughout the swimming pool areas, the terrace sun-bathing area, and the beach, there was a complete lack of sunbeds. If you arrived at any point after 9 am it was unlikely you would get a sun bed much before early afternoon. Not a problem but there were a lot of rather large black sort of sand ants that did bite my partner a few times. (Also watch out for the massive hornets they have there, I saw someone pretty upset after getting stung by one) The hotel did nothing to limit people reserving sunbeds on the beach and some people wouldn't arrive till early or mid afternoon to use them. Out of interest there is no cash point on site, the closest is in kadamena 5 or so miles away. The supermarkets do accept cards though.
The biggest downside to this Hotel was that some of the staff were rude, unhelpful, and in need of complete retraining in how to look after and deal with customers courteously. For a lot of people it's the service that really makes a hotel and I feel that it is extremely important. There was one member of the bar staff who was totally unbelievable. He was so rude, not only to people staying at the hotel but to his co-workers also. He argued and shouted with many of them. He could get quite angry with the customers no matter if you were polite or rude to him. Then, unbelievably, he would tell you to give him a tip and point to the tip-bowl. Where I come from a tip is deserved and for good service and that is far from what this barman gave. This was unless you gave him what he felt was a decent tip then he warmed to you, after being rude to you until you put your hand in your pocket. He was not the only member of staff that had atrocious service, the staff at the beach bar and the adults only bar were poor but that earlier individual really sticks out. I would like to balance this up by saying that the staff in the main restaurant were excellent. They work very hard and the food is of good quality. The food is varied very much from day to day and they have a proper, old fashioned pizza baking oven, along with show cooking, salads, fruits and much more. Plenty for even a fussy eater like myself. The main hostess was fantastic, she was most helpful and accommodating. Also Florien at the main desk was extremely helpful and very knowledgeable.
Overall I would not return to this hotel simply because of the service and the frustration at lack of sunbeds every single day. Everything else about this hotel is typical of the good quality Mtsis brand except some of the staff. Out of interest there is no cash point on site, the closest is in kadamena 5 or so miles away. The supermarkets do accept cards though.
A footnote that I feel is possibly the most important part of this post is about booking a holiday to Kos, and through Thomson. Although the arrival was effortless baggage reclaim was quick and easy and the airport (being very small) is very clean the departure is quite simply the worst I have ever experienced in many years of holidaying anywhere in the world. The airport cannot deal with the amount of departures and has too many flights leaving too close together. This is hugely down to Thomson rather than the airport as the company completely overwhelm the airport and its staff. My departure date was a total nightmare as Thomson had arranged multiple flights leaving the airport in extremely short periods, 3 within 40 minutes. Completely ridiculous. It is important to remember that if you have children you need to be prepared to queue in the baking hot sun for at least an hour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NORIDA BEACH is a high standard all-inclusive resort where the good service meets the hospitality and the original smile. It is the right choice for couples and families seeking quality accommodation in a quiet location combines sea and Mountain View. ACCOMMODATION: comfort and warmth Totally renovated in 2012, Norida beach whether in the main Hotel or in one of 25 bungalow buildings all 455 comfortable and spacious guest rooms are carefully appointed and offer all the facilities of a 5-star resort. Hotel is surrounded by immense gardens and is decorated with warm gentle colors, marble floor and wooden furniture. The magnificent view of the Aegean Sea and of The Volcanic island of Nissiros will help you to relax while enjoying one of our nice cocktails in your Balcony! RESTAURANTS AND BARS: tasty treats all day and nightMITSIS NORIDA BEACH offers numerous gastronomic delights at no extra charge. At all bars a large variety of appetizers, snacks, ice cream, alcoholic and non drinks are richly offered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mitsis Norida Beach Kardamena
- Hotel Mitsis Norida Beach
- Norida Beach Kos
- Norida Beach Hotel Kos
- Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel Kos/Kardamena