Apologies for the late review, as we holidayed in July of this year but just felt I had to write this as we had a rather unpleasant experience which almost ruined our holiday.
Before booking the holiday I was aware that the Norida beach was amongst a complex of other Mitsis hotels and was rated a 4star with the Blue Domes rated a 5star. On arrival we dropped off at the Blue Domes first which appeared absolutely stunning on approach. However, we were not disappointed when we arrived at the Norida Beach as it semed very modern and clean.
We were checked in at reception , in the early hours of the morning,by an older chap( whose name I did not get ! ) who explained to us that our room in the Norida wasn't ready and would not be available until the following lunchtime. He stated that we would have to spend our first night in the Family village hotel and then to go back to reception the next day at 12pm to changeover. Needless to say we weren't very happy with the arrangement as we were only there for a week as a family of four and knew that this would eat into one of our precious days.
Then came his olive branch - he put "black bands" onto our wrists and asked us if we knew what these were. We said that we didn't and he explained that it meant we could eat and drink at any of the Mitsis hotel in the complex. I looked at him and asked if this included the Blue Domes and he nodded and said yes "all" of the hotels. Well, we gave him a huge grin and said in that case we would put up with the inconvenience if this was the case. We were given sandwiches and taken by buggy to the room which was lovely as it had its own pool! We would have been more thatn happy to stay there. The next day however, we went for breakfast in the Family Village restaurant( nice but small) and had a walk around until lunchtime when we could be moved. The hotel itself was lovely, a fabulous location right on the beach and very clean.
We decided to go over to the Blue Domes which we also thought was really nice and even more modern and a little more exclusive and contempory than its neighbour. We sat and had a drink by the pool and an icecream , thinking what a lovely alternative this would be for a change of scenery whilst we were there.
We finally got into our new room at the Norida Beach about 1pm and again was pleasantly surprised to be given two rooms and I think it was probably the cleanest room we had ever stayed in.T he only drawback it was at the back of the resort which was very hilly and the daily trek in 40 degree heat was almost unbearable.
By the time we got out to the pool side there were no sunbeds available and we noticed a serious lack of these , which was a shame because as a family we like to be by the pool. There is a lot of grassed area but no sunbeds allowed. We therefore, ended up on the beach on numerous occasions unless we managed to secure a bed early enough.
The second day we decided to walk along the beach again to the Blue Domes for a drink and another icecream. This is where the nightmare began. We sat in exactly the same spot as the previous day and my husband went to the bar to order his drinks. He came back looking rather embarrassed and said that despite him showing his black wrist band the barman refused to serve him. I marched straight over to the bar rather annoyed and explained to the barman exactly what the chap at the Norida had told us. He retorted , in a rather aggressive tone that he did not care what we had been told but they were a five star plus hotel and basically we weren't welcome. Well, I can honestly say in many , many years of travelling as a family and also as a couple I have never been so humiliated. I told him I would take it up with the Manager.
We basically spent the rest of the afternoon trying to sort , with no sign of the original man who gave us the black bands and everyone else denying all knowledge of the situation. I decided to not pursue it any further as it was just spoiling our precious holiday but it left me feeling very bitter for the rest of the week.
In summary - the rest of the holiday as follows:
Room - Beautiful
Cleanliness - excellent
Location - Fabulous
Food - Very good but lack of air con in restaurant. Hotdogs available at small pool and beach
Entertainment - Average - in a separate building up a hill from the hotel so not ideal
Swimming pools - Nice but one salt water - took some getting used to by children
Water slides - a little grotty and poor location
Beach - lovely
Hotel terrace - Good atmosphere to sit on after dinner
Service - Restaurant staff very friendly.
Overall I would rate the hotel a 3 star plus, with 4 star rooms and setting !
Just do not get conned into the black band scenario as I believe has also happened to some other reviewers since we went.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NORIDA BEACH is a high standard all-inclusive resort where the good service meets the hospitality and the original smile. It is the right choice for couples and families seeking quality accommodation in a quiet location combines sea and Mountain View. ACCOMMODATION: comfort and warmth Totally renovated in 2012, Norida beach whether in the main Hotel or in one of 25 bungalow buildings all 455 comfortable and spacious guest rooms are carefully appointed and offer all the facilities of a 5-star resort. Hotel is surrounded by immense gardens and is decorated with warm gentle colors, marble floor and wooden furniture. The magnificent view of the Aegean Sea and of The Volcanic island of Nissiros will help you to relax while enjoying one of our nice cocktails in your Balcony! RESTAURANTS AND BARS: tasty treats all day and nightMITSIS NORIDA BEACH offers numerous gastronomic delights at no extra charge. At all bars a large variety of appetizers, snacks, ice cream, alcoholic and non drinks are richly offered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Bookgreece.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mitsis Norida Beach Kardamena
- Hotel Mitsis Norida Beach
- Norida Beach Kos
- Norida Beach Hotel Kos
- Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel Kos/Kardamena