“Very Enjoyable”

Mitsis Summer Palace
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very clean hotel, friendly, helpful staff, especially in the dining room; Daria, who greeted us for every meal, and Thomas and Dimitris, who made sure we had a table overlooking the sea each time. It's a big hotel, spread over a large site on a hill, so lots of steep climbs, but the views make it worth it. Some of the blocks of accommodation have their own "private" pool, and our 2nd floor room had a ladder leading from our balcony straight into our pool. There are several other pools, so always somewhere different to sit. The beach is a bit disappointing, as the sunbeds and parasols are all very close together, and the "sand" is more like grit. 70% of the guests were Russian; they can be a bit pushy, and not at all friendly, but we did meet a few other British guests. I'd say this hotel is great for families and couples - if you're looking for night life, you need to go into Kardemena, as this hotel is part of a complex of about 5 hotels a couple of miles out of town. The buses are not very frequent.
The wind, which was present most days, kept the temperature very pleasant.
Food was ok, not excellent, but we could always find something we liked. All drinks were included, and were not limited to local spirits. Nice cocktails in the main bar! Tea and coffee available all day too. For a bit more luxury, the Mitsis Blue Domes, on the same site, offers a beautiful spa, and from what we saw is a superior hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up the hill from main reception
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jane d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived late in the evening to be told we would only be on our room for one night as a much better one was available but not until the following day. We were tired from travellling did not want to make a scene so accepted this. Thankfully we did get to move the next day as the room situated above reception was noisy and sounded like there was a wind tunnel situated through the centre throughout the whole night. Our new room was mush better located, next to the Italian restaurant, near the pool and with a great sea view. There was no apology from reception for the inconveneince when I queried the delay later...I was infact told they were doing us a huge favour as we had booked the room above reception. Really....???
The hotel was spotlessly clean, with plenty of staff cleaning continuously, to the point that if you were sitting in the lobby the cleaner would come and give you a look ( No asking ) to lift your feet so that she could mop with her bleach infused mop under your feet. Surely this could have been done when we were all in bed.
The rooms are ok pretty basic, more 3*. The fridges only work whern you're in the room as your key keeps the power going so you always have warm drinks. The TV's have one BBC English talking channel, and even thats fuzzy. The double bed was 2 singles pushed together and matresses that were very old with lumps and bumps everywhere. The Air con however was good so you could keep cool overnight if that any consolation.
The restaurant was very hot so you have to sit outside for some air, and of all of the staff throughout the hotel the best ones are situated here. Darina, Thomas and the Grill chef were extremely helpful to assist. During my stay I became very ill on Night 3 of 7, which I suspected was Acute Food poisoning. I spent the whole night throwing up, to the point it was so severe I burst a blood vessel in my eye. This was then followed by a further 5 days of Gastroenteritis which really spoiled my entire holiday. I would go to the bar and retaurant with my boyfriend for meals and sit and nibble on a piece of bread, accompanied by the bottled water that I had to pay for as this was not included. So despite not being able to eat properly or drink alcohol for 5 days I still had to buy bottled water. The restaurant staff were very sympathetic offering to make me special meals but I had no appetite until my final day when I allowed them to make me some Chicken broth.( The best meal I experinced whilst here ) Reception were not interested in anything you had to say to them, only saying I could call a doctor out for 90 Euros, plus then i'd have to pay to go to Kardemana and pay for any prescriptions also. The local rep suggested they were a rip off and there was a really good pharmacy in the town plus a walk in mediacl centre that did proper English speaking consultations for 30-40 Euros.
We also experienced one night of Power cuts in the hotel when we were in the Lobby one night. It was pitch black, and people were using their phones as torches to get around. There was clealry no contingency plan for this, it was terrible and lasted for almost an hour. When I later saw the manager I suggested they buy some battery powered torches for such events, to be told it wasnt down to him but Head office ! But clearly its ok for Children and elderly people to not see where they are going. There was no communication or announcements to notify us of anything so just say there in the dark.
There was no entertainment for the adults whatsover, although some peolle paid extra for black bands to use the other neighbouring hotels which we heard were better.
This hotel has a long way to go to live up to what they sell. We read the mixed reviews on here before we left and were concerned. All in all, it has a great location, its clean and its ideal for a peacful break. But if you're looking for the usual combination package go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room over reception, and if you have your booking papers show them you have not requ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LLLTripleLLL
Port Erin, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Lovely weather at end of June. 30 degrees with a wind. Nice view from outside part of restaurant. You need to queue for a few minutes to get an outside table (advisable as its a bit hot inside). Food was edible but now great. No steak, fillet of chicken, roast beef etc. You can get pork, chicken with bone and gristle. 1 fish dish a day which may be squid or mushy fish. The 2 speciality restaurants, greek and italian were excellent and all inc. All staff were excellent. No need to tip but we did on last day. You can book them for lunch and dinner. You need to book the day before, early (7-8.20). sunbeds were at a premium. Again you need to get up and put towels down before breakfast or you won't get one. However at the start of the week there were spare beds around the lovely family pool.(until the russians discovered it with their hyper kids). Russians don't contribute to much and are fairly blunt with staff. You will however find a few english speaking people. Polish, french, lithuanian, hungarian, bulgarian are all great. Entertainment would have been non existent if myself and another couple of blokes didnt get up on stage for Dance competition, Mr Kos type thing etc. Very poor entertainment. Didnt bother with any activities as they were the same every day. Water polo, beach volleyball (on pebbly beach). Beware of slippery tiled steps in the pools. Almost everyone slipped. Rooms were fine but we had a crap view with people walking past our balcony so we didnt use it. Perhaps you can pay a premium to get a better room. Mini bar had 1 bottle of beer and some pop. We always make the best of a holiday so had a great time and made good friends. However if I were to return to Kardamena I would probably book the Blue Domes which looked magnificient. Every room had a great view in blue domes, loads of speciality restaurants, pools. It's a 5 star +

Room Tip: Contact hotel. ask for good sea view, proper balcony. we had a glimpse of the sea but more of the bu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Garry R
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

As we arrived at the Hotel in the early hours of the morning, we were greeted by very friendly reception staff and porter who carried our bags, or should I say struggled as he refused help. He showed us to our room and explained the air conditioning etc. The room was very airy and spotless.
After a good nights sleep we were greeted by the most amazing breakfast selection and this continued through lunch and dinner. All the staff work so hard to keep this place spotless from top to bottom. They were so helpful and if you needed anything there were there for you. The bar staff and the guy on the griddle cooking were so polite, friendly and helpful, no matter what and there were times, when I could honestly say I would have struggled to be so polite and composed, when dealing with, what appeared, the Russians lack of manners.
The meal on the beach was so lovely and romantic, I think it even got to my better half, who does not do Romance.
I struggle to find a negative any where, but what I will say is I think a little Adult entertainment in the evenings would enhance this hotel even more.
We are already looking to return if funds allow before the end of the year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara D
Reviewed July 5, 2013

As a solo traveller again I chose this hotel as it appeared to give all the elements I required - well - lets begin....
I cannot for a moment fault the cleanliness of the reception and restaurant or my room (which was unfortunately at the front of the hotel and was noisy as hell, constant noise from coaches, buses and hire cars) - there was no room for me to upgrade to sadly. The maids are very sweet and clean with enthusiasm every day - the room was basic as always in Greece and yes the TV belonged in a museum as did the fridge.
Food is plentiful but quite boring but nicely presented and the staff are helpful and smiley - breakfast on the terrace was really nice looking out over the sea.
The beach is reached via lift which was fine and reliable - the beach is pebbly but not overcrowded and there are loungers and static brollies - there isn't any sand so not that great for children.
Having hired a jeep to explore the next village of Kardemenia (tired harbour village needing serious renovation - lovely people though very sweet) and Kos Town (lively and more to see and worth the drive) I have to say the location of Mitsis is okay if you literally just want to stay on site and sunbathe or use the indoor pool - to get about its either taxi, bus or hire car.
There is some kind of evening childrens entertainment in the downstairs area but the noise from the children and the music was impossible to escape if you wanted to relax in reception or use the Wi-Fi etc.
I have to comment too on the Wi-Fi which was really annoying and intermittent - none in the room and you had to wander about reception to try and get a signal - the staff were a bit vague to about logging in - the reception area is always heaving in the evenings and there needs to be more seating.
As a solo female I did feel safe here which was hugely important - I drove around quite happily and visited a few local places without feeling uncomfortable but always being aware of your surroundings is imperative.
To sum up - its a lovely clean hotel with nice staff - not 5 star but more than adequate for a cheap holiday - Kos is a lovely picturesque island with memorable sunsets, friendly locals and gorgeous views ! xx

Room Tip: Ask for room not overlooking front of hotel !!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bevvyboo
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We arrived at Summer Palace in early morning, about 1.30am and was greeted by a tired disinterested night porter at reception, who did help us drag our bags up the steep hill, but quickly hurried off as we think he knew what unfortunate state of affairs the room we had been allocated was in.

The room - was humid, damp feeling as the air con is horrendous and made a racket all night. Further more, the small adjoining room (the family room) had no air con what so ever so we had to have all 3 of us in the one double room to even be able to breathe. Really struggled to sleep with the noise of the aircon! To further our dissapointing first impressions, our mini bar fridge was broken and all the drinks were hot! When we complained to the disinterested night porter , he simply suggested to wait till morning as nothing could be fixed till then.
The room decor is tired, and old fashioned. Although very clean, needs updating massively (scabby dirty chair, 90's style box tv and damaged bath tub).
Although we had booked a garden view room, all the professional images showed balconies and we was highly disappointed to find we didn't have that but a patio door leading to a communal walk way.

The Wifi - is absolutely frustrating and would never work, when it did you were kicked off seconds later by children abusing the signal with constant game playing on their devices. You could never do business emails whilst staying at this hotel. Very important this needs updating!!
There was hardly enough room to sit in the lobby and was like a game of musical chairs as every time you went to get a drink someone sat in your seat.

Kids - we chose to visit before the school summer holidays to limit the amount of children in the hotel but it was over run with European children everywhere, in the restaurant, beach, reception, screaming and crying constantly. Clearly the school timings are different out of the UK and we didn't expect so many children which could sometimes be irritating when hoping to relax.

The communal shower room - our flight was a late night flight so we wanted to keep our room on till the evening so we could shower before our journey but was told we couldnt keep the same room as it had new arrivals coming and could move to another room for a fee. We chose to shower in the communal shower room instead for free but was appalled and shocked at what turned out to literally be a 4x6 ft shower wet room with no where to change, no where to dry hair , mirrors etc. We literally had to stand in a towel on a slippy floor in the corridor next to the mens toilets (very unpleasant as females!) and change in the humid hotel which defeated the idea of showering. This is a major issue and felt the hotel just wanted us out now we were leaving! A disgusting and stressful experience that seriously needs looking at!

On the PLUS side.... The restaurant food was very nice, even though a little repetitive but what do you expect from all inclusive, and the restaurant manager and maitre D were very welcoming and attentive to your needs. Also the main bar staff, especially Christoph (cocktail maker) were extremely polite and friendly.The restaurant and bar staff gave the 5* service we expected and other staff need to learn from these!!
Also the beach had crystal clear seas which was lovely and cleaned every day .The sun loungers could do with updating again but seemed plenty of them. The beach is pebbly but expected in Kos.

Overall it is not a 5* hotel , more like a 3*+ and not worth the expensive price at this time of year. Much nicer hotels around for the same price as we've been to Kos. We made the best of what was there even though the hotel wasn't up to standard and will return to Kos in future but stay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank beth s
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

It is easy to focus on the negatives of a hotel but I will try to attempt a balanced review. We did however have a couple of very bad experiences at this hotel which I will start with.

Myself and three female friends, all in our late 20s, arrived at the hotel and were told that we would need to stay for one night in a family room as the two twin rooms which we had booked had apparently suffered from a plumbing problem. We were assured we would be reimbursed so we thought fine, only for one night. It was a long night as one of the rooms did not have air conditioning and it was incredibly hot. We were pleased when we were moved to our twin rooms which were a lot nicer in general and more importantly both had air conditioning.

We were asked to sign a piece of paper saying that we had been 'reimbursed'. Most of this was not worthwhile - we were given black bands for the other hotels on the complex but we visited them and did not consider them to be any better than ours and so remained using our own facilities. We were told that we had been given the minibar for free - however we found out from other guests that this was free anyway. But, the one useful 'reimbursement' we were offered was the ability to keep our room until 6pm on the last day, which was very good for us as we were not leaving until the evening. So we signed the form and went on to enjoy our holiday.

However, we were then phoned up and asked to move again! So this was twice in one holiday we were asked to move rooms. We concluded that the hotel decided it was better to inconvenience us twice, rather than inconvenience another set of guests. We also felt we were treated with little respect because of our age, we were a group of four girls in our late 20s amongst a large number of families and couples, and we felt to some extent that we were being picked on and were easy targets to shunt around from room to room. When we went to complain at reception, rather than being apologetic about this massive inconvenience of having to once again pack all our things and move, the reception staff argued back and tried to insist on us moving (once again to a family room which was ridiculous us we had paid for two twin rooms).

Anyway, I feel I have ranted enough and should move on to the positives. We actually enjoyed the food on the most part, the buffet was a bit samey but we used the restaurants enough not to get bored of it. The Italian and Greek restaurants were very nice, the Chinese not so much.

The pools were lovely, we avoided the crowded main pools and used the much quieter family pools at the top of the complex. We did not find the salt water to be an issue. We tried the hotel beach once but found it very difficult to get sunbeds and didn't try again. The beaches in the town centre were nicer and also less pebbley.

The twin rooms were nice, the doubles were two singles so we could sleep separately. However, unfortunately money was stolen out of my bag, I assume by the maid. Would highly recommend you make use of the safe.

We enjoyed the cocktails and the rose wine was ok. The white wine was appalling and tasted like it was watered down.

All in all, the hotel was ok and I think if we hadn't had the bad experience described earlier then we would recommend it. However, the experience did tarnish our opinion of the hotel and feel the staff could use a bit of training on how to treat guests respectfully.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Charlotte H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Mitsis Family Village Beach Hotel
Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel
Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
#2 of 39 in Kardamena
Michelangelo Resort and Spa

Been to Mitsis Summer Palace? Share your experiences!