We stayed at this accommodation as part of an Olympics Holiday package. Some of my thoughts on the accommodation & transfer experience is below:
Transfer there - we arrived into Kos at 3am, but did not get to the accommodation until 5am (despite it being only a 15 min drive from the airport). This is due to:
1) Having to wait for the transfer bus to fill up before leaving the airport. I think Olympic waits for 2 flights to arrive (from Manchester and Gatwick) so if you're on the flight that lands first you may be waiting on the bus a while! We were on the 2nd flight and got out of the terminal quickly, so we waited about 45 mins.
2) Each drop off takes about 5-10 mins as the Olympic rep walks you into the accommodation.
When we reached our accommodation (Kardamena Holiday Apartments & Studios) we were pointed to our room and left (no one is around when you check in).
The accommodation - our first thoughts on our room was disappointment. We had booked a "studio with terrace or balcony" but we were given a lower ground room with tiny windows and neither terrace or balcony. It was extremely hot in the rooms and there was no way to turn on the air conditioning, and being lower ground there was no breeze through the windows. You could also clearly hear the people above us walking around. There was no one around to complain to, so (after ages due to the noise and heat!) we went to sleep.
In the morning the reception was open and we asked to change rooms, but we were told that all the studios were on the lower ground and we should have booked an apartment instead if we wanted a balcony (frustratingly this was an option when I booked - but the room descriptions were identical so I had no idea (assuming this is even true)! So be warned - book an "apartment" not "studio" room!). After pushing, we got moved to a ground floor studio, so at least it had doors that we could open to get a breeze into the room. Air conditioning you have to pay extra for.
Our "kitchenette" was a cooker with 1 cooking ring and lots of cupboards. Our first room had nothing else but some utensils, our second room had a kettle (broken), toaster (didn't try it), 1 plate, 1 bowl, 1 fork, etc. Very randomly and unsuitably equipped.
Our bathroom had a shower area, but no divider - so everything gets wet. We also didn't have hot water for the last 2 days for some reason (it was sunny all the time, so it wasn't due to any solar heating issues).
The bedsheets we got had old blood stains on them and were not changed during our week stay. The towels are small - more like a towel you would put on the floor to soak up water.
I think the above covers our main complaints! We knew this place would be basic, but we were not expecting something quite so rough! I would say it was lower than hostel quality.
Some of the positives:
- The guy that ran the place was nice - just running a bad quality place.
- Easy walk to the main square and "action" and beaches.
Transfer back - You leave the accommodation at 2am in the morning, so be prepared for a long and tiring final day as you have to check-out of your accommodation at midday. Why Olympic can't charter a flight at a better time is anyone's guess. We were lucky to have a further 3 hour flight delay at the airport on the day we left!
In summary, i won't be returning to Kos on an Olympic package staying at this accommodation again anytime soon (or ever!).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Kardamena Holidays Apartments & Studios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kardamena Holidays Apartments & Studios Kos