“My ideal holiday”

Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We went to the hotel with the zumba dancing group.
The vacation was ideal. Good service, tasty food, remarkable entertainment programs. No complains or disappointment. We will definitely return. Thank you for the great time!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mārīte K
There are newer reviews for Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Thank you Blue Domes and all the stuff everyone was very welcoming I've spent one weeks in this hotel with my family, and it was a nice and relaxing holiday. The food was excelent had so many choices and everyday there was something different. The animation team were the best of all, they were always happy, and they come round to talk to you when your on the beach which is nice, they also did the show in the evening, my favourite one was the lion king. Miss everyone already. Xx

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank 24claire1989
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Blue Domes in August this year for a week. We arrived around 11pm and was offered late dinner in the main restaurant and ad lovely welcome by the staff. We chose to walk to our room which was about half way between main house and beach and was very pleasantly surprised by the room. We booked a standard room although was a lot nicer than we expected! Amazing comfortable bed and nice and dark and quiet. You will need to be prepared to do a lot of walking up and down hills and stairs so it's worth making sure you have have everything you need to save going back and forth!! Stunning food in all restaurants although didn't eat in the ones you had to book, we found the choice we had in the main room and side restaurants we had everything we needed. One down side was that we were never able to get a sun bed by the pool as it seems there were towels on every single bed by about 6am!! We never struggled to get a bed on he beach which was much nicer anyway so not really a complaint!!

We took a taxi to Paradise beach which was about 20 minutes away and stunning so highly recommended. We also went to in Kardemena main town one night which I would not advise anyone to do. Ever!! Was awful, was a bad version of a tacky school disco in every bar and not really my thing! So we stuck to drinks in the hotel after that!

Would definitely recommend this hotel, beautiful island, weather was incredible and great food.

Thanks for a lovely holiday!

Room Tip: Lots of walking to be done so a room close to the main building is good for restaurant/bar but rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jess H
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The resort itself is stunning with pools cascading down the hill and well tended grounds. We had a few niggles. The pool water was excedingly salty so we swam in the sea - yes, the Med is less salty than these pools (which had quite a number of tiles missing)! I've never been anywhere with so many pools - and so few swimmers! The sea however, was lovely. Clear, full of fish and with a good slope so no wading in. Beach is pebbles.
We managed to get the bus out on three days but the service is limited. Out in the morning and back in the afternoon. If you miss the bus, then you walk into Kardemena which is probably 4 - 5 km at a guess - less than an hour and probably 1/2 hour at a reasonable pace. There is nothing closer. The bike hire shop was closed, for no apparent reason but there are no places to cycle to unless you like hills. No where to walk to either apart from Kardemena. We did feel a bit isolated/trapped by the end of the week
My friend was reprimanded for sitting sideways on a sofa in the reception area!!! She didn't have her feet on the furniture and was just trying to get comfortable in a really wide and low sofa. There were parties of holiday reps in residence that week, who the hotel was trying to impress. We did, at times, feel like second class citizens to them.
Food and waiting staff were generally very good but booking for restaurants in the morning was a bit of a pain as stated in other reviews. The omlet lady was loved by everyone for her smile and her memory. No mean feat in a place of that size. Pizzas from the wood oven available most nights were excellent. The pancake place was the only one open when we arrived at 11ish. The influx of arrivals I think overwhelmed the staff and they decided to close, even after having taken our orders, leaving us hungry after the evening flight.
Restaurants on the beach did not serve coffee - you have to walk back up to the top for this which is a bit of a trek (but worth it - good coffee).
The bar area had a strange system where sometimes you could get served and sometimes they would only serve the waiters, pointing you to a long queue at the end of the bar.Spirits were, sadly, the 'all inclusive' type but the beer and wine were generally fine (occasionally wine tasted watery!). The bar area had nice looking chairs which were actually too low for the tables. There was a queue to be seated in the restaurant most days too. Oh, how we love to queue!
The diving staff on the beach were lovely. Two dive sites available, one called the pinnacle where we saw a giant turtle and the other through a field of sulphur bubbles - very pretty.
A friend had a massage and enjoyed it so much she went back twice more.
We tried the entertainment but gave it a miss after a few minutes except for the night they did 'The Lion King' which included in the cast, some of the children on holiday there. This was well done for the facilities they had (don't expect West End style)
There were a lot of pongy sewery niffs around the resort and I'm told this is normal and not just a problem of the moment.
Rooms were very good with stocked fridges and all you needed (hair dryer, scales!!!)
All in all a good holiday but I won't be going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Allybindahouse
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited on 12th October for a week and we both really loved the hotel, and for what we paid we thought it was fantastic value.

The hotel was really beautiful, the complex of pools is really quite impressive, we had a seaview room and the view across the pool, out to sea and across to the mountains was really quite spectacular. The hotel was immaculately maintained, inside and out.

We both found the food to be excellent, the food in the main restaurant was of a good quality breakfast, lunch and dinner, lots of variety and all good quality, the freshly baked pizza’s were particularly yummy. We found that the extra restaurants made the holiday as this enabled us to have a change of scenery and was nice to have your food served to you. We visited the Italian, Greek, Creperie, Ouzeri, Beerhouse and Sushi restaurant and really enjoyed every meal.

The only thing that let this hotel down, I would say, is the evening entertainment. The old guy in the leather trousers playing his keyboard was not good, he didn’t seem to know the words - he really was awful. The main bar was also really bright at night, like it was some kind of canteen, with a bit of ambient lighting and someone pulling the plug on the guy’s keyboard the evenings would have much better.

There also seemed to be a lot of Russian guests at the hotel and they were extremely rude constantly pushing in, but that was not the fault of the hotel.

Overall I would say the days at this hotel were idyllic but we did feel at a bit of a loss as to what to do in the evenings, as the entertainment was so poor and the hotel was not close to the main town. I woudl have given this hotel 5 stars but because of this I only gave it 4

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked a week at this hotel through Travelzoo, redirected to Luxury Inspired Escapes, redirected to Broadway Travel, then Olympic Holidays and on arrival it was Holidays 4 U...I believe this could be an important factor in what level of service you get!!
I travelled as a single parent with my 3 year old daughter and was looking for a holiday to suit both of us.
On arrival at the hotel (12.30am); we were told that the hotel was unfortunately overbooked and we would be placed in the Summer Palace for 1 night only. I was told there would be compensation for this and to come back in the morning for everything to be resolved. I really couldn't be bothered to argue; at the end of the day it wouldn't have made any difference and I had a very tired 3 year old to get to sleep. The Summer Palace is comfortable enough and the staff I met were very friendly; however, it is not anywhere near the standard of Blue Domes.
I had been given a map with details of my 'welcome party' the next morning and despite my daughter not really wanting to get up; I made it back to the hotel in time. However, the note just says 'room downstairs' and there are lots of rooms downstairs if you don't know your way around!
By the time I had found the reps room; Dougie (I found out his name later) had gone.

I made my way back to reception and was told I needed to see 'Guest Relations'. At first the girl I saw told me I could check in at 2pm; I pointed out that I had checked in the night before and just wanted to get on with my holiday. She just kept repeating herself so I asked to see a manager. She told me I could make an appointment to see one! There were other British people there and one couple said that they had been waiting for 4 days to see one. I did make a bit of a fuss and finally saw the man in charge of front desk (not sure what title he has!). He brought out a piece of paper that had been photocopied many times; the date of the original being 2011. This is something that happens on a regular basis and you have to sign a disclaimer at the bottom to say you will not seek any further compensation. I decided to take the services on offer as I just wanted to get on with our time there and forget about the issues. I was told we would be upgraded; however, I had already booked a room with a sea view so I don't think we were. I took the a la carte restaurant bookings, free excursion, used the free wi fi and the laundry service.
When I got the towel vouchers; it became a complete farce as they sent me down to the towel station only for me to find no one there. I went back up (read other reviews...steps/slope!) only to be told to go down to the beach. I asked if perhaps they could get them for me as my daughter was getting tired of all the walking; they obliged reluctantly. I had to go back to 'Guest Relation' to get my room info and key but due to them being busy; decided to get my daughter some lunch first. Big mistake...I left the towels on the chairs in Reception!! 30 mins later and I realised what had happened; they had gone and despite other members of staff confirming they'd seen them; I was made to feel like a real nuisance when I asked for more. The receptionist made a big deal of giving me more tokens and telling me I wouldn't get my 40 euros back (I did though!). We didn't get settled until around 4.30pm and I felt like we had wasted the first day of our holiday.
The main restaurant is ok but staff are hit and miss; it's also true they seem to have a teaspoon issue. I was actually told by one waitress that they didn't have any; after pleading I wanted one for my daughter to eat her dessert, another waiter got one for me but it was clearly inconvenient.
I didn't like to leave my daughter at the table alone so she had to follow me around while I gathered food and drink from the far flung places at breakfast time; not once did anyone offer help; in fact we were often in the way as they barged around scowling if you didn't move quick enough.
I thought the a la carte restaurants would offer some relief and on arrival at the Italian I was greeted by a very friendly waitress who made a fuss of my daughter and seated us at a nice table. The menu isn't vast but still ok and I asked if my daughter could have a small bowl of pasta while I ate my starter. This completely threw them and I was told that my starter was already prepared and they would have to cook the pasta as it's fresh...that's around 3 minutes where I come from! I said I would wait for my starter until hers was ready. 30 mins later and we still didn't have any food so I asked and she said 'it's coming soon'. It arrived a few minutes later and they had produced a big steaming bowl of spaghetti for my daughter; it was too hot and she was getting fed up as was I. I saw one of the restaurant managers standing at the front (Micklaus?)and asked him why this had taken so long. He then told me that I should expect to wait 15mins and that he knew what time I arrived...did I? I said yes; I arrived at 7.20 for a 7.30 booking. He then said but it depends when you ordered your food. I said I ordered at 7.30 and it had arrived at 8.05. He just shrugged his shoulders and said they were busy (they weren't). There were 2 other people with him, another manager and a chef. The chef was staring at me quite menacingly and I asked him why; the manager said 'he doesn't like what you're saying'. I then turned round to see our main courses had also been delivered at the same time; his response to this was to walk away. At that point I felt completely intimidated and no longer wanted to eat; I'm ashamed to say it made me cry. The other manager (Kosmas?) came over and was really apologetic. He asked me to come back the next day and he would make sure everything was ok. I pointed out that I already had restaurant bookings for the rest of the holiday and quite frankly, wasn't looking forward to any of them. However, he promised to make sure all was well and to his word; our other evenings were fine.
I finally met Dougie the rep and his jaded attitude said it all; I asked if the Russians had the same issues and he said 'what do you think?!' He was only interested in the excursions and had no comment on issues that the guests were having.

Other negatives:
My mini bar was re-stocked no problem; however, it took 4 calls and 2 visits to reception to get a bottle opener by day 3. Other guests had the bottle opener but no drinks.
Towel man - catch him while you can! You have to ask for the nicer towels; he prefers to dish out the tatty ones.
Children's club - great facilities; under staffed but Eleni was fabulous. She had one day off and the place was shut! I didn't want to leave my daughter unattended but I wouldn't recommend you do as there would not be sufficient supervision and no checks on numbers etc.
Bars - I challenge you to get a glass of milk for your child after 10.30pm! Save yourself the effort and go to Reception (this is where you will finally be sent).
Pools - freezing and although the kids pool is relatively shallow and freshwater; there are no steps so couldn't acclimatize to the cold gradually.
Staff - Main restaurant and Reception mostly rude/indifferent but lovely in the snack bars (a lesson for the management if they can be bothered).

Positives:
Lovely room and excellent cleaning staff (also very friendly and smiley).
Kids club - apart from comments above; great place and lots to do.
Animation team - Brilliant...we're still singing and dancing to the mini disco routines one month on and the shows were great fun; it didn't matter one bit to us that they were miming!
Food - excellent at snack bars; a la carte ok and main restaurant mediocre. Shame I didn't know about the pizza oven on the terrace (found out from other guests on last night!)
Staff - there are some good people there but they are in the minority...such a shame.

I got the impression that if you booked with Thomas Cook; you were less likely to encounter any problems so beware if you like me; looked for a last minute bargain. I've stayed in many 5 star hotels before but never experienced such bad attitude and level of service. I won't be returning.

Room Tip: OUr room was fine (241); no issues other than lack of bottle opener and noise of furniture being mov...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We arrived at 11pm and were offered a good range of dinner which was lovely!
This hotel is big but seriously well run! There are so many pools that it never felt that busy even in peek summer. The food was really tasty and the staff very helpful.

I am a vegetarian and would have loved it if the vegetarian dishes could have been labelled so, but not a huge issue.

The hotel was exceptionally clean and the room was plenty big enough for the 4 of us.
This holiday was a much needed break for the whole family. It was a real treat to be able to choose when and where to eat as part of the all inc package.

The best part was the beach. We spent most of our time snorkeling and hand feeding fish bread. Incredible!

This holiday offers practicality and luxury.
A great time was had by all. We would definitely consider going back.

Room Tip: no need to spend extra on a room, the family rooms are plenty big enough.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Natalie N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel
Mitsis Summer Palace Beach Hotel
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Mitsis Family Village Beach Hotel
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel

Been to Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!