Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Hotels.com
$72
Andavis Hotel(Kardamena)
$23
Origin Hotel Apartments(Kardamena)(Great Value!)
$34
$24
$86
$76
$115
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
3,434 results
All reviewssushipastrypittabooking systemblue domesa la carte restaurantsmain restaurantburger barsalt waterpita cornerthe lion kingburger innanimation teampool barbungalow roomice creamguest relations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I went to Mitsis in May 2013 with my wife, parents-in-law, brother and sister-in law and neice.
I think I need to start off by saying that for what we paid for a week's holiday in May I probably shouldn't have any complaints as for the same sum I wouldn't get better elsewhere. The price was less than half of what it appeared to cost to go in August. With that said, had I paid 4/5-star prices, I would have only given it a 1-2 rating. Despite getting a very good deal there were a number of things that let the hotel down and certainly prevented it from being a true 5-star resort, the biggest issue being the service.

On the positive side,
- the resort is in a great location with a fantastic setting. The layout and interiors look good and the gardens are nice.
- the buffet options are pretty decent. One lady in particular cooking the fresh meat was lovely.
- the kid's club seemed good and the staff also very good
- relative value for money
- just about enough sun beds around the pool that weren't all reserved by 6am (might have been time of year)
- the Gelateria is great for an ice cream

The Neutrals:
- the shows are what you'd expect. Very amateur and, at times, bemusing, but those involved try hard to entertain.
- bedrooms are pretty nice
- Additional restaurants are ok (but getting a table can be tricky)
- Wifi was available in the bar area, but not elsewhere
- as nice as the buffet was, trays of food were permanently running out. Again an issue with lack of staff.
- lots of bar seats were missing their cushions so you felt like you were almost sitting on the floor.

The negatives,
- we arrived quite late (perhaps 9:30pm) and had a really slow check-in. Noone thought to tell us that if we wanted food we would need to go straight to the restaurant before heading to our room to drop off our things. By the time we returned we couldn't get anything. Reception told us the Creperie was open so we headed there but were told there was no seats available despite there being spare tables. After hanging around for 20 minutes we sorted out our own seats and they clearly weren't happy about it. The drinks and food we ordered then took forever to arrive and were mostly not what was ordered.
- Beach Towels. You give a deposit (fine), but I didn't expect the room cleaner to then take them away when doing our room. The following morning, a quick visit to reception, and they wouldn't simply issue us with replacement tokens or towels. Instead we had to wait until they had fully investigated it to find out if we were lying. Once they'd established we weren't lying we got some tokens, but the towel hut wasn't open and they "didn't have a spare key" so we had to hang around some more. This issue happened twice.
- Towels part 2. One evening we returned to our room to get ready for dinner and had no bathroom towels. A call to reception and we were told it would be sorted in 15-30 minutes. Nothing happened. Another call to reception and they got annoyed that were were calling a second time. Still nothing happened. Eventually I go to see them and they told me they didn't have enough towels and there was an issue with the washing machines. We didn't get replacements until the following morning. This also happened twice.
- Drinks. They ran out of beer on the first night by 11:00pm. The spirits are mostly awful. You have to queue an awful lot.
- Restaurant booking. Now this is a farce. They have an archaic booking system that opens the night before, right about when the evening show starts. Everyone starts queueing about 30 minutes in advance so you can sometimes wait one hour in order to try a different restaurant the next day.
- The gym. Its quite small, with limited equipment (could see one cross trainer and some free weights), but they still expect you to pay something like 10 Euros for one hours use.
- Some staff (and in particular reception team) just come across like they can't be bothered and that you are a nuisance. I think this is mainly because they were under-staffed for the number of people that were staying, and stressed out as a result.
- freezing cold salt-water swimming pools resulting in noone going in them
- on the first day the boilers weren't working and there was no hot water for a shower

Away from the resort itself we did two day trips in addition to a walk into Kardemena. One organised across to Nisyros, and one self-drive to Kos Town. Both trips were pleasant with a good balance of things to see and a nice break for the hotel surroundings.

The weather on the last 2-3 days was also quite windy, chilly and on the final day, rainy, so the trip to Kos town worked quite well rather than trying to brave a sunbed.

Overall, its a decent place, but service needs to improve substantially to warrant the prices they appear to charge most of the time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MJJ_UK
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Domes for 10 days (family of 4) and had a truly excellent holiday. Our room which was spacious, had two balcony's and had a fantastic sea view with plenty of space. The maid service which was daily was faultless. The mini bar was re-stocked daily with some international brand soft drinks and local beer. The mini bar is additionally supplied with ample bottled mineral water. The restaurents were fantastic; 1 large a la-carte which catered for everyone. There were 4 specialist restaurants namely Chinese, Mexican, Italian the Greek. These were very good and could only be booked 48 in advance through a first come first served bases within the main reception. Throughout the day there were 6 themed (could cater up to 30 pers per sitting at any time per restaurant) mini restaurents which added to the variety and choice of cuisine throughout the complex. They included a German, Sushi, Pitta, Creps, Burger and Mezzi choices. These were based on first come first served basis, with all food cooked to order!! There were ample choices of pools although you had to be up early to get the best slots and appropriate sunbeds. The beach was very good with great views and entertainment and further bars and eating outlets. The night life was minimal, but generaly speaking we enjoyed our own company and had a really relaxing holiday. A special mention of the Club Zone Bar and Club, where you could see English Soccer, which gave us an added dimension. Great place for Internet access and to view all games as necessary.

Room Tip: Family rooms with sea view - very very spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank foodlover123457
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just come back from 10 fantastic days at this fabulous hotel.
The hotel, location, views and food are amazing. My friend and I had a great time and we thought it was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. We had no trouble getting sunbeds in the mornings even at 9 oclock or later. The animation team are fantastic special mention to Aushra who took time to speak to us every day. They work so hard and are very friendly to everyone. all the entertainment team are great and make sure you have a good time.. I would like to add that all staff were friendly and great to get on with.. Loved all the pools and even had to pool to myself on occasions. Great place to relax and have a good time. Would definately go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 367 a quiet area. very spacious had 3 beds in. balcony had a seaview. it is an upgrade bungalow top floor. would pick this room again.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank pattytrish
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We travelled as 4 adults and 1 an almost 3year old in early September.
After meticulously reading trip advisor was so worried at some comments but just ignore them, relax and enjoy!

Yes...we had a great time...

-Beautiful grounds and hotel which are kept immaculate

-Numerous swimming pools, yes saltwater but how refreshing...at least no chlorine so doesn't ruin your swimwear! Didn't find them cold in September but can imagine when weather cools might be a little chilly!

-Sunbeds...we mainly went to the beach and never once struggled to get 5beds, would go around 11. Neither did we have a problem the time visited one of the pools. However, not sure about peak season.

-Fantastic food in all restaurants...what better than having a late night beer and crepe on the way home to your room at 1.30am! The ice cream is Carte Dor and honestly amazing!!! I'm honestly not sure what people are moaning about. This is fantastic 5* A/L food. Main restaurant never chaotic when we went but then again we would go to breakfast around 9.30 and dinner at 20.30. 4 a la carte restaurants to choose from, Asian by far the best for us...such a great idea to 'dine' somewhere different when A/L. Or some Meze, Crepes, Sushi, Pitta or Burger bar at lunch or if peckish after lazy afternoon on the beach!

-Staff...We have travelled all over and sorry to say I think the majority of staff in this hotel are the worst! I have to say, the staff arent the most pleasant. Reception were diabolical, unhappy, highly unhelpful and obviously no job satisfaction with no smiles! Our shower in cubicle wasn't working and was reported ++ but still not fixed by end of 11 days, good job we had a bath with shower!! Maybe because we were British?! Anyway, wouldn't let them spoil it so minor part for us.
Staff in main restaurant were grumpy but great with children however were more pleasant in the a la carte restaurants.
HOWEVER, the greatest member of staff is Jimmy in the Crepiere. Always smiling, happy and wanting to talk, remembers your order etc. Seemed like he was the only one in the hotel and shows as lots of travellers mention him on trip advisor. I hope he gets the recognition from the hotel he deserves but doubt it!

-We visited all 4 a la carte restaurants during our stay, never had a problem with computer booking system, would try after dinner around 9.30pm most nights with no queue. However, bet this is a nightmare in peak holidays. They should definitely revise this!

-Beach is lovely...the sea is the clearest I've been in, very refreshing. But do take sea shoes as shingle can be a tad uncomfortable but certainly not a problem for us. Plenty of water sports and lady on bungee trampolines is fab! Plenty of food on beach...choice of hotdogs, sandwiches, rolls, cake, watermelon and ice creams. People moaning about plastic cups....get a life, would you want to walk on broken glass...yes it's windy but just put them under your sunbed or drink them quicker!!

-Pay 20euro deposit each for beach towel which saves packing one and get a clean one everyday....turquoise colour by far the nicest! Towel guy grumpy but I just found this funny!!

-Entertainment....team were good, would come and chat on the beach to you, sometimes a little too long though! But obviously are a great team and enjoy their work which definitely pays off and shines through despite almost being end of season! Never used the childrens club but was beautiful and lots of happy children about! Free little 'fair ground rides' at night which my son adored with park!
Shows in the evening were good fun, Grease/Lion King/Aladdin....no, it's not the West End but a lot better than the cheesy entertainment than we've experienced before in other hotels. Lovely open air theatre outside reception.
Singer in the evening at main bar was rude and grumpy and like something from Butlins....he needs to retire! Honestly he would not know how to entertain if he tried!!! However, why would we let this spoil our evening with beautiful surroundings outside.

-Quick transfer from Kos Airport (which may I add is tiny and toilets are yuck but it is Greece!!) about 20mins in taxi. We hailed one directly outside with no problems and cost 22euros. NB they don't do 7 seaters.

-DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU HAVE WALKING DIFFICULITES!!! I'm a 28 yr old and I was knackered....lots of steps to main restaurant or steep hill, nightmare with pushchair!! However, you could call a buggy/porter to come get you!! At least it's a way to walk off all the food we consumed!!

-Room lovely, spacious we were upgraded to bungalow 717 and 716 by crepiere so fab position in middle of everything. Maids not greatest but happy enough. Air con fine and rooms cool. Room up one flight of steps so pushchair left at bottom with no problems.

-Mini bar with Pepsi, Beers and bottled water, ours was always restocked plus we had a bottle of red wine, champagne and fruit on arrival in both rooms. Guy who restocked always around in morning so not sure why people moaning about this!

-We went on Aegean Cruise from Kos which was lovely, book with them direct instead of Thomas Cook at 10 euro cheaper (35euro).

Mr Mitsis....some points which could honestly make this a greater hotel

-You need more sun beds around pools, plenty of space so why not??!

-Get some better reception staff, they and majority of your restaurant staff need some happy pills!

-Sack the main bar entertainment man in the green trousers, he's old, grumpy, no interaction and boring! Sorry!

-Get some more main bar staff, service so slow and easier to go to the bar (who wants to do this on holiday?!)

-Get some better cocktails or someone who can make them at least, they were like lighter fuel!!

-Put some toilets closer to the restaurant, nightmare walking all the way downstairs at mealtimes with a toddler!

-Alter the a la carte computer booking system!

Would I go here again...no...far too many places to visit and see...but would 100% recommend it to friends and family. Would I go in peak season, definitely not! September was great! 30 most days but with beautiful wind....just take a little cardigan if you get chilly easily for nights!!!

Room Tip: 717 and 716 bungalows outside crepiere, in centre of hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank smem85
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here with my partner at the begining of September for a week and had a really nice time. The rooms and setting were absolutely stunning, we had an upgrade on arrival to a Bunalow near the gardens which were lovely.

All the staff I spoke to were pleasant and the general customer service I thought was good. Paid for the internet which for 5 days was 25 euros, it was a bit hit and miss but allowed me to contact home via email and skype. On the ground floor it can be quite noisy at night when you get someone in the room above who likes to push the funiture about!

I didn't enjoy the food so much whilst there, by my third day I had severe food poisoning from the main restaurant which meant I spent the rest of my holiday eating hardly anything. The main restaurant wasn't really up to my expectations, very much like a cattle market with people pushing infront of each other and scrambling for food. I would say however the smaller restaurants away from the main building were much better especially the sushi.

The hotel was nice, I personally wouldn't visit here again as I think I'd prefer a smaller complex and not all inclusive.

Room Tip: Bungalows were very spacious
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple