“Beautiful resort in a terrible place”

Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I thought I arrived in the middle of a storm, but in fact was usual weather in Kos! The Danish people would consider themselves lucky after a visit in this place. WINDY, STORMY at it's best!
I didn't sleep a night! At least the wind turbines on the hill above didn't stopped a minute! :)
The food in the main restaurant didn't impress me at all. Just pork and chicken and only fried Pangasius as fish. No lamb or beef, except liver. You can still make reservations to other restaurants if you sit on a queue after 10 PM.
The cluster of pools are lovely, but are filled with cold sea water and all are 1.40m deep so if you have small kids, it's not the place for you. If you enjoy beer, you'll find a bar just in the middle of the pools. Order 4 to 6, as they serve it in small plastic 'glasses' and keep them carefully as the wind is always present! :)
The sea water is fine and clear, surprisingly cold for end of July, almost like the one in Corfu but not so attractive for snorkeling as the sea bed is dull, except some sewing pipes lost there.
Even if they state that canoes and pedal boats are available free of charge, they will not aloud you to use them for your own safety due to wind (even if the wind calms down), but you can spend your money on other water sports (engine operated). For windsurfing they ask for a certificate, but you can find one on the net.
To get a deck chair close to the sea, get up early and reserve it with a towel, as the Russians do! As a conclusion, if you have kids 8 to 12 y.o. who can enjoy the pools and are not charged supplementary, if you already seen the famous locations, if you enjoy beer and plenty of food and finally get a very good offer for this resort, then it's the right place for you! PS: take some headsets to hear the music, not the wind, have a beer and lot of fun! The entertainment team is really good! :)

Room Tip: The wind is the main problem, so choose a more sheltered location.
3  Thank Daniel C
Write a ReviewReviews (3,419)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I travelled on this holiday with my husband, 8year old son and 7 month old daughter.

We had an absolutely amazing trip.......we usually travel long haul and have not been to Europe for some years, but with the baby decided on a short flight, we have had bad experiences with the quality of hotels in Europe in the past and having stayed many years ago in the mitsis roda beach in Corfu, we decided on this hotel.

Upon arrival at 3am we were quickly checked in and taken by golf buggy to our room, we booked a family room, which was down near the beach but over looking one the the beautiful pools, the room was large, clean, modern and comfortable for our family, the cot was already in the room. We had a mini bar which was re-stocked daily and a free safety deposit box in our room, the bathroom was also restocked daily with toiletries if required.

The hotel itself is stunning, the buildings, pools, lighting etc are beautiful, but views right over the sea.......sitting after dinner in the terrace bar watching the sunset over the sea whilst sipping cocktails was heaven. We did find a lack of sun beds round the stunning pools so opted for the beach each day, however we did like this better as this was where the animation team were based and there seemed to be more atmosphere here than the pools and my son loved spending the morning snorkelling and fishing. The went out on a kayak for the 30euros which was refunded and him and my husband hired a jet ski for 50 euros for 18 mins which the both loved. The beach was beautiful.

The restaurants were amazing, the main restaurant is one of the best I have ever experienced, yes u had to que each service to be taken to your table, but u were literally waiting less that 5 mins. Antonis runs a tight ship in the restaurant, very very efficient, each service you were taken to your table and were made to feel like the only people dining there, the waiting staff made time for you, rather than a free for all. The food itself was fabulous with lots to choose from, I have a weaning 7 month old and a fussy 8 year old and I never had a single complaint, infact the staff fussed so much over the baby offering to heat bottles, purée food, Antonis even blended a fruit medley especially for the baby.......now that is service.....every meal was enjoyable and special. Keep up the excellent work Antonis and team. We did use the speciality restaurants which were good but we found the choice, quality and service received at the main restaurant so outstanding we chose to eat there most of the time.

The entertainment team worked tirelessly, as we had the baby with us we only managed 2 shows, but the time and effort put in to them was clear to see, my son particularly liked the lion king show and loved the mini disco every evening.

Again during the day the animation team worked tirelessly to involve everyone with the day time activities, the made time to stop and talk to everyone on the beach. The be good thing I will say that is if you don't want to join in that day, the do not hound and pester you which I have found very annoying in the Caribbean.

The kids club my son loved, he was lovingly greeted each day by the staff, the have very convenient operating hours, and wonderful activities, he took part in the hotel Olympics, they took the to the big water slides at the sister hotel, the did face painting and just general fun and games. My son particularly enjoyed the evening activities after dinner which included pop corn and movie nights......again well done to the wonderland team, you work long hours but my son had a ball!!!! It really made his holiday.

Over all this was a wonderful trip, I work for Thomas cook in the uk and will be highly recommending it to all my customers......well done!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure if you have booked with Thomas cook you advise guest relations as you get to book the spe...
3  Thank Kirsty M
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just returned from a week trip to the Mitsis Blue Domes hotel and spa in Kardamena. We unusually booked through a travel agent but am so glad we did as the list of complaints will be dealt with by them.

We holiday abroad every year but this year was a special holiday due to the fact that all of our children and friends came too. We had a booking for 12 and requested two rooms with 4 beds (equivalent of a suite) and two normal doubles.
On arrival we were told that one of our rooms wasnt ready and we would have to be moved in two days, being exhausted from the journey we took the key and found that we had five of us squashed in a one bedded room with two put up beds. It took an hour and a half to get our bags taken to the rooms which was being done by one man on a golf buggy.

My step daughter couldnt get into her room for an hour due to the fact the key didnt work - they came down with a replacement eventually. She had 150 euros stolen from her room, the reception staff said well thats what the safe if for ! She woke at 6am on the first day to see a man at the foot of her bed ..... the mini bar man let himself in - this happened most days until she double locked the door.

If you go all inclusive ,as we did, dont bother with the A La Carte restaurants, you have to queue for an hour at least to book one and are then told that you can only request certain days ..... we do not pay £12,000 for a holiday to be told that.

The buffet restaurant serve good food, and a great variety but again you have to queue to get in .... we were actually told to leave the restaurant one evening at 9.30pm as they wanted to close the restaurant and lay up for breakfast,

The creperie, burger bar (gourmet burgers), ouzerie and fish restaurants around the pool bar are excellent and run by lovely staff. There is a nice sushi bar too.

Drinks are all great although dont ask for water from the pool bar, not sure what it is but it isnt water ! Alcoholic drinks are good measures too.

My sons mini bar wasnt topped up for two days so he asked at reception for a bottle of water, he was told they couldnt do that - they offered him a glass of water. The following day I went and asked for it to be dealt with and it was. A pregnant lady in the resort asked for more water in her mini bar and no alcohol as she wasnt drinking it, they refused.

If you have young children you will end up in the kids pool on the far side of the resort away from everything. The kids pool is good with waterslides and swings but if you have an older child too you wont be able to spend time with both. The kids club (if you use such a thing) has no toys in it whatsoever - all beautiful shelving lining the walls and two russian girls playing cards with the children as there is nothing else.

I decided on my second day that it was a fat club in disguise .... there were steps to get everywhere and they didnt want to feed you !! I was convinced everyone there was a fatty before they arrived !!

The hotel is stunning, the beach is glorious, the watersports a good price too. All pools are salt water except the small kids pool so be warned. The maid ( the only Greek I saw) was delightful and did our room everyday.

Entertainment staff are no entertainment at all - they did Aladdin when we were there and just mimed to the disney track ..... funny though !

All in all we had a list of problems with this hotel, we never complain but having planned for a year to come here and it being a special holiday, I was mighty disappointed. We will be following this up with Thomas Cook as they need to be aware of the recommendations they are making are not correct. A few days into out holiday we saw a family with a young lad in a wheelchair - it is not a wheelchair friendly resort, there are steps everywhere or narrow bridges, even a childs buggy is hard work .... if you are a couple on your own, maybe you could put up with rude Russian workforce and enjoy the sun but if you are a family its not for you

9  Thank beenthereHampshireUK
Reviewed July 23, 2013

stayed at the blue domes for a week as a family of 6,4 adults and 2 children,when we arrived we checked in at reception you then get picked up by a golf buggy which takes you and your suitcases to your room,as we arrived late we were told to go have dinner in the restaurant the food was amazing there's a choice of chicken,pork,pasta,greek salad,pizza,chips there was also a vegetarion choice of food aswell,our room was nice we stayed in room 737 which had a pool and sea view which was a stunning view of course,we had wine on arrival but we didn't drink that,our room was always cleaned by the maids although she didn't leave us any towels one day but we sorted that out,one problem we had with our room is that the front door was broken as we tried to shut it it would just blow open but the reason for this was beacause a screw had come loose,there are 12 pools which are all lovely but the water is very salty the only trouble we had was I had to get up at half 6 everyday to get a sunbed which was difficult as there was 6 of us,entertainment was absolutely amazing day and night,all the entertainers made the effort to come over and talk to you they were all so friendly especially with children but a special mention to zuzu who was amazing he always had the time to come and talk to us on the beach and at night he was just so friendly,would I come back to this hotel again?yes I certainly would come back and it is defenitly a 5* hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Chloe T
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this hotel through Thomas Cook as it was advertised as being able to meet the high expectations of all who attend. I am not usually one to complain in fact this is the first time I have added anything to trip advisor even though I travel abroad regularly, however the standard of service from this hotel, advertised by TC as 5 Star and by the hotel as 5 Star+, is absolutely SHOCKING. There were no major issues that arose during the holiday however the minor ones were multiple which had a major effect on the enjoyment of the holiday. I'll break it down into good and bad

The Good

To start off with the hotel and complex DOES look like 5 star resort. The buildings, the rooms, the gardens, the pools and the beach all look fantastic, as for the weather it couldn't be faulted.

The snack restaurants in the centre of the resort are brilliant. We tried the Pitta Corner - for pork giro's and chicken rolls, Burger In - for cheeseburgers and chicken burgers and the Pastry Corner ( the best ) the crepes here are fantastic and the range of ice cream for the kids is the best I've seen at any resort, it also has the ONLY good members of staff in the resort. Special mention to Jimmy, the guy is a legend, he works in the evening and provides, by far, the best beer in the resort, he keeps the glasses in the freezer. I didn't try the other snack restaurants (Sushi, German, Greek), I don't have the stomach for them.

Thomas Cook customers can book the speciality restaurants through the hotel reception instead of the nightly long queues to book through one computer outside the main restaurant.

The Bad

We booked a bungalow with a balcony and either sea or pool view. Prior to our arrival we emailed the hotel direct to confirm this, as I do with all my holidays, and received the grand total of NO REPLIES, it should have been a warning. On arrival we were allocated a ground floor garden view room. The garden view being one of another block of apartments across a small strip of grass. When I reported this to the reception I had my first, and not last, experience of their "No or do nothing" attitude. I explained that they had provided the wrong room. I was told, very quickly, that there were no more rooms available. I was advised to speak with the accommodation manager later in the morning. This I did, to be told again straight away NO, there were no more rooms available. Extremely frustrated I spoke with the TC rep after the welcome meeting and lo and behold, of the 10 families that had just arrived, 5 of us had been given the wrong room and had been told that there were no other rooms. The rep got a bit of a hard time and promised she would speak with the accommodation manager herself. 30 minutes later she gave me the good news that hotel had amazingly "found" a room of the description that I had booked however they would not let me in to it until the next day, that's now 2 days and I still haven't unpacked!!!!.

I thought to myself, Ok let's get on with enjoying my holiday now that the room is/will be sorted in the morning, so I booked my family in for a meal at the "Speciality" restaurants for later in the week ( Asian 1st, Italian 2nd). 2 days later I turned up at the Asian restaurant at my specified time to be met with a member of staff, he had a clip board, so must have been important, who told me that I did not have a reservation for that evening. I obviously disputed this but he was adamant that we were not listed on his clipboard. I asked to see his paperwork which if he had checked it properly, clearly showed my reservation on the other side of the paper. However, again, another member of staff who was very quick to try and disappoint!!. We got seated eventually ( No apology for his incompetence). The meal was ok but i'll put that down to my taste buds.

The next evening my family arrived at the Italian restaurant at our specified time to be met again by Mr Incompetent with his clip board. Amazingly he again told me that he did not have a reservation for that evening. it's fair to say that a heated discussion took place regarding this. At this time, one of the other couples who had issues with their room at the welcome meeting, turned up and were also told that they didn't have reservation. The heated discussions continued between all of us before the hotel guest relations staff member turned up. On her arrival she checked her reservation book which clearly showed our reservation. When she asked for my room number, I gave her my new room number at which point she told me that " It's my fault that we couldn't eat because I had the audacity to change rooms without telling her". So whilst trying to "enjoy" my holiday I now had to keep a guest relations staff member up to date off all my movements. This is absolutely ridiculous. True to form they maintained their "No or do nothing" attitude and refused to allow us to eat at the restaurant that evening. I re booked for 2 nights later. Incidentally, I later found out that the issue appears to be that if you book through the reception for the speciality restaurants you don't get a receipt for it. The staff deliver it to your room sometime before your booking therefore the occupants of my old room took full advantage of my booking without coming clean about who it belonged to. Obviously a flaw in the booking system. We dined at the Italian 2 nights later and the meal was fantastic.

I don't drink much alcohol during the day therefore the fact that the mini bars were restocked daily with beer, juice and water was a contributory factor of booking this hotel as well. It means that you can have a nice cold beer whilst sitting on the balcony at the end of a hard days sunbathing!!! On arrival at our rooms the mini bar was stocked as promised however EVERY day bar 2 of my entire holiday the staff failed to fill the mini bar properly. They did not put beer in for the first 6 days. 2 of those days they did not put in water. All other days it didn't turn up until I phoned the reception. There were days that I called the reception 3 or 4 times to try and get the mini bar restocked after which they would finally deliver it sometime during the evening (Warm beer - not good).

Due to the flight timings I knew before I went on the holiday that I would need late room check out. I was advised that this needs to be arranged at the hotel. From what I can see there is a simple reason for this....the hotel charges 10 euros per hour!!!! I requested late check out and was told that I couldn't book it until the day prior to my departure. Fair enough. I attended the reception and requested late check out the day prior to my departure and was told that it is a request and may not be fulfilled and that the final decision would not be made until 10am on the morning of my departure. Yet more uncertainty with this lot. I again spoke with the reception on the day of my departure to be told again " NO you can't have late check out, we need your room" By this time I had come to expect this attitude from the staff so I spoke with the Thomas Cook rep regarding this and can you believe it....10 minutes later the reception said I could have my late check out after all. Why the staff need to be as obstructive as they possibly can for no good reason is completely beyond me. Still they did charge me the 60 euros extra for the pleasure of enjoying my last day.

I booked through Thomas Cook and my 13 year old daughter was classed as a "Child" quite rightly, however, be warned that if you have a 13 year old "child" and book an excursion with them at the resort, they will charge you full adult price for the excursion. They will then ask for feedback from you regarding your trip. On the form it asks how many "Children" under the age of 16 went on the trip??????. I'll leave Thomas Cook to answer that one.

General Observations

Air Con in the rooms is poor

Swimming pools are VERY salty.

The beach is sharp shingle.

There are no where near enough sunbeds by the pools. I appreciate that they may be going for a sparse look to make it look more exclusive however there are LARGE areas around the pools were they could quite easily add more beds and still achieve the same look. I got up regularly at 5:30am just so I could sit by the pool and by that time there were already very few available.

The pool bar in the middle of the resort was very pro Russian. Anytime I went there for a drink I felt as though I was intruding. I tried to avoid this bar as much as possible.

Pool/ beach towel availability is an issue. Thankfully I didn't have any problems however I did see a large amount of guests trying to get fresh towels in the morning to be told that there weren't any and they had to come back at 4pm. On one occasion around 9am I saw the towel assistant tell an obviously new guest that there were no towels and to come back at 4pm then walk away laughing. Terrible attitude.

The choice of food at the the main restaurant is very repetitive however the quality is good.

I did notice that there were a lot of guests from the Norida Beach hotel next door using the facilities and restaurants, so a money saving tip for you. Book into the cheaper Norida Beach then just use the facilities at the better hotel next door because as far as I could see no one was being challenged on this.

In conclusion this is a 5 star hotel with 0 star service. When I didn't need to speak to the staff or ask for their assistance my holiday was great however their attitude towards the paying guest is absolutely disgusting. The points I raised above are not MAJOR issues however when there are so many, so often, it does have an impact on the enjoyment of your holiday. I do not think I 'm being unreasonable in my criticism. All I look for is to be provided with what I paid for or what any reasonable person would expect in the same circumstances.

I usually book First Choice Holiday Villages or villas and I can say with absolute 100% certainty that I WILL NOT book or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel
7  Thank Brian S
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having spent a considerable length of time researching our holiday destination we actually had originally booked the Norida Hotel next door as the Blue Domes would have worked out so much more expensive for our week away for the four of us. We had read in previous Trip Advisor reviews that holidays makers had sometimes been upgraded to the Blue Domes and had raved how good it was. Anyhow we had it planned we were in the Norida and that was to be our holiday. However on check in we got told " Good news you have been upgraded to our sister hotel The Blue Domes !" our initial thought was , Here we go !! BUT disappointed we were not.
We had two rooms our daughters stayed in one and we stayed in the other ours being within a stones throw of the beach. The Hotel is spotlessly clean , The rooms are equally well maintained sheets are crisp and beds are comfortable. Both rooms had two showers one within the bath and a wet room attached with shower, enabling the two of us to shower at the same time . The rooms are well air conditioned and the mini bar is stocked daily of beer , water, pepsi and seven up. As far as a previous comment on here states " we found opened bottle of wine in the room" Had these people been educated in 5* Hotels they would have realised that this was a complimentary bottle of red wine left in the room along side the complimentary fruit. The rooms were not equipped with a bottle opener so the cork had been removed and placed back in enabling the wine to be drunk ! complimentary wine was in both rooms , a nice touch !

The food was amazing with plenty of choice breakfast lunch and dinner .People have stated its repetitive maybe, but every night there was a choice of chicken, pork, beef ( which was amazing !) fish, pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, always a vegetarian hot dish , chips and a salad bar which was fresh and plentiful . Deserts which consisted of a variety of cakes, fruit and ice cream. What do these people eat at home ? what more could you ask for ? breakfast was equally hard to choose from with freshly cooked omelets to your liking by the most smiley happy chef, pancakes, everything you could possibly want. Yes sometime the queue for the restaurant was busy but we waited no more than 5 minutes throughout the whole week .They have 3 speciality restaurants and it is hard to get a reservation but allocation slots are open from 10pm so if you really want a table your get one! . The Hotel does have alot of Russians and German that can be quiet rude and pushy!.
Sun beds are few and far between but we managed always to get one , be it round the pool or the beach whichever we fancied that day.
The bar staff where fantastic Kostas and the whole team where just lovely thank you all so much. The animation team worked hard and the show every night was not the best , but they looked like they where enjoying themselves and where so enthusiastic.
A highlight of the night was a 1am pancake made freshly for you. Thank you Jimmy for looking after us and bringing us our evening tipple !
The only slight downside of the holiday is that the island is quite windy which I had never read in any previous reviews... apparently they are having unusual high winds there this year, and also there are lots of steps ( 48 ! ) up to reception and the main restaurant , but this didn't cause us a problem.
All in all the hotel is very good, would I go ahead and book this hotel first off next time ?,most defiantly .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank sonzzell
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel is a large complex with stunning views, endless amounts of pools and beautiful clean rooms. Just a few tips tips to note for new arrivals
1. The booking system for the a la carte restaurants was ridiculous. To avoid disappointment simply stop by at reception and say you have booked through Thomas Cook and they will book you in for the week.
2. If you find the buffet food quite monotonous and cant get booked in at the a la cartes, pop on a bus into kardamena (10 min journey) and find a little family run restaurant called Alvi. Its beautiful!! The staff and food are amazing!!
3. Do not expect a perfect beach. If you need a beach fix, book the 'paradise beach' day trip. Its a 30 min coach trip and takes you to a beautiful white sandy beach!
4. Pop into kos town for a day by bus - if you fancy quaint cobled streets and markets its a good day out!
5. The animation team run football matches every day at 4pm. My boyfriend loved it and met some amazing people!
6. Be prepared for lots of children. We found the quietist pools were the ones at the very top of the resort near reception. But make sure you secure your beds with towels before breakfast - they go fast!
7. If you have a late flight, check out is 12. Pop to Reception the day before to book a freshen up room.
8. Enjoy your holiday! ! And dont forget to try the crepes - by far the best deserts on the resort!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Emma M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Mitsis Summer Palace Beach Hotel
Mitsis Family Village Beach Hotel
Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa

Been to Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!