Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Great 4.5/5
Good 3.5/5
Sunny View Hotel(Kardamena)
3,433 results
All reviewssushipastrypittabooking systemblue domesa la carte restaurantsmain restaurantburger barsalt waterpita cornerthe lion kingburger innanimation teampool barbungalow roomice creamguest relations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had a great holiday and i would like to thank the staff for a great stay, they work very hard and deserve the credit.
The accommodation is excellent and kept to a high standard everyday very clean.
The food is awsome in every restaurant including the main dinning hall, we could not choose which one was our favourite all excellent.
The beach is a nice tidy beach with lots of activities which are all good. Plenty of fish as well and very close to the shore line.
Plenty to do for families and well looked after.
If your looking for a chilled holiday avoid kids holidays it can get a bit hectic but still very good.
The pools need some TLC what with all the missing tiles from the pool, but the six pools are still very impressive.
All in all a good holiday.
thanks

Room Tip: 305 is good
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jfs3327
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Laying in my cool room (148, one a the smaller, more basic ones) I feel it's my timely to add to the reviews and responses by Mitsis management as I have avidly read these before booking, in the run up to and during our visit. Not only have I found these to be mixed, with some extremely off the mark but also very helpful. I actually emailed a few of the recent guests to ask specific questions as I was travelling with an 11 month old baby. In fact we found ourselves reviewing the reviews as we ate, relaxed at the pool and sampled the entertainment!
So where to begin? A little about us as a family, our expectations and traveling experience. We are a family of 4. My husband is Albanian and has worked on the Greek Islands and mainland for 4 years, before I stole him away to England to marry him. He worked in Santorini (if you haven't been then you have yet to see the most breathtakingly beautiful island) at a 5 star hotel. I'm sharing this as we have some inside knowledge of what it is like to work in such a place (long hours, stifling heat, little pay and some guests who expect royal rather than 5 star treatment). Along with my baby daughter, my 9 year son was with us. Thanks to past reviews and frequent travelling experiences, we had a good idea of what to expect and we were not disappointed.
I had sent an email to the Blue Domes prior to out visit requesting a room that did not open up onto a pool and a cot. Both requests were met. The room, complete with two apples(?), was maintained to a high standard and when a light bulb blew in the bathroom the maid reported it and maintenance fixed it the same day. The minibar was not fully stocked before our arrival which was a nuisance as we arrived thirsty. Apart from that, lovely Roza, the maid, greets us daily with a smile and leaves our room spotless each morning. While I'm sure that she will not read this I hope that one of Mitsis managers will personally thank her and the other staff mentioned within this review, as their hard work is what making our stay not only pleasant but most memorable. As mentioned in past reviews the grounds are immaculately kept. An example of this would be the hotels response to one recent review about pool tiles. This morning I saw someone with a lid full of grout, fixing mosaic tiles around the pool. It is reassuring to see how quickly issues are addressed.
We are very used to and enjoy international cuisine. At the buffet, and as the last manager's response highlights, there is veritable plethora (love that phrase) of food which includes both authentic dishes as well as plain foods for picky children. Constantina, (the omelette lady) without a doubt was the  friendliest in the dining room. She remembered our names and made glove balloons for our daughter. I said that she should be head receptionist with her people skills but she responded that she loves her kitchen too much. Be sure to make her acquaintance. Vacilis makes a mean fruit smoothie at breakfast and is always attentive to what is happening in the dining room. Katerina and Alban (waiting staff) were very quick to serve us drinks and again made us feel welcome.  The flies are really off putting in the  main dining room but I'm unsure how this could be managed more effectively with an open buffet. Yes there are birds that fly in and out, delighting our daughter and a welcome distraction.
The unbranded and premixed drinks we were aware of before arrival and would suggest that bottled water should be available at the pool bar. There is a persistent shortage of clean beach towels (again being pre-warned of this we had brought our own, plus a mini-kettle and iron). My son wants to thank the ice-cream lady with the green eyes. As earlier reviews have spotted, it is Carte Dor, simply delicious and served with a smile.
For children the hotel offers a great kids club 'Mitsis Wonderland' with daily activities to keep the children out of the midday sun. Karen, Hannah and Diana do a wonderful job and suggest that this aspect truly is 5 star. Added to this the animation team, kids disco and small productions are super. I loved that the team involved guests in the shows.
The reception staff were always polite and welcoming and at our request were happy to show us the other style of rooms.
 The resort is on an incline but some of the reviews have made a mountain out of this. We live in Brighton and I walk up steeper hills one my daily trip to school. Unless you have difficultly walking or have kids who are just out of a pushchair, don't let this put you off.
Our pick-up time is later afternoon this Thursday but the checkout time is 12 midday. I have requested to keep our room until 5pm on the reception system and have been informed that this will cost us a further 10 euros per hour. Although I appreciate that the hotel is full to capacity, if there is a gap between changeovers then this could be given free of charge.
One last tip for parents with babies is to bring plenty of baby wipes. These are 3.5 euros a pack in the on-site shop and less than a pound in Asda. Similarly one small bucket and spade cost 10 euros (ouch!) We took a £3 small, blow up pool with us which we put in the shade at the kids pool.

On the spot
The entertainment and facilities for kids
The grounds and cleanliness
The buffet selection and chefs
All other restaurants

Needs rethinking
The beach towels - provide in the rooms and get the maid to count and change
Evening entertainment for adults
Checking out and room changeovers
Flies in the restaurant
Whilst it might not be legally required to have pool lifeguards, due to the strong winds and water sports one should on watch on the beach

We have not found the sunbeds an issues. The pool outside our room has empty beds as I write.

My parting advice for guests of the future, in order to get the best service, is to smile, make a point of addressing the staff by their names,  be friendly and courteous to other guests and most will reciprocate, especially other parents around the pool (Donna and Charlotte, thanks for the lighthearted conversation).
Once home I will select some photos which don't replicate what is already here. For example, I have not seen ones of the menu at the Greek and Asian al a carte restaurants or a shot of the steepest slope or a map of the resort.
Lastly, the wifi access in this room is great. This was composed and uploaded from our room.
If I can answer any questions please ask away.
Now this has taken far too long and the pool is calling. For us this has been a perfect holiday. Thank you and I hope that through the new Membership club we can visit other hotels in the group, build up 100 credits and get a free week away. What a good idea ;)

Room Tip: 100's have good wifi and are on the same level as main restaurant and reception
11  Thank Pippa T
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We travelled with our two girls age 8 and 15 and had a super holiday at Blue Domes. Beautiful setting, stunning views, friendly staff, good food, lovely hotel.
Following a holiday in a Mitsis hotel in Rhodes we were recommended this hotel. Blue Domes turned out to be beyond our expectations.

Positives:-
- Our room was in the perfect location, very close to the beach and pool with an amazing view of the sea.
- Housekeeping are very efficient and helpful, rooms cleaned to a high standard and mini bar restocked.
- Good variety of restaurants (albeit the
booking system not efficient)
- Childrens club very good mainly due to the staff who are brilliant with the kids, our daughter made friends and became very close to the staff.
- In the main restaurant we were always greeted with a friendly welcome, this restaurant can be very busy at times however the staff are very efficient.

Some comments/suggestions...

- Would have been more convenient to have a few more toilet facilities
- A DVD player in the room would have been handy, not an unreasonable expectation for a 5 star hotel.
- The restaurant booking system is very inefficient and frustrating
- The hotel advertises gym facilities, this is basically a room with ONE cross trainer and some weights!!
- Reception staff came across unfriendly and gave the impression that the guests were a nuisance!
- Very poor wifi connectivity

Special mentions-

Mostly all staff are very friendly and good (apart from reception!!) However individuals that made our holiday extra special...
Antonis in the main restaurant always made us feel very welcome and special, even in very busy periods he would stop to greet us.
Karen, Mady, Hana, Diana in the children club were absolute gems and very very good with the kids
The animation team - Alex, Rado, Andrea, Mady, Grete, Andre and Yana all very friendly and tried there best to entertain guests.
In the main bar Kostas was our favourite handsome waiter, very friendly and told us lots about Kos Island. Farah, Maxim, Thomas also very welcoming.
Margarita and Angela in the small bar adjacent to reception made fab espressos and cocktails, very welcoming, friendly, chatty and efficient
Armand at the pool bar was very good and made a fab vodka tonic !
Alexandro in the pastry bar was popular with our girls !
Tolipas from the Burger Inn/Asian Restaurant and Daniella from the pitta corner both worked in the a few restaurants and were fantastic.
Stefano and Jimmy from the Greek restaurant were super

Our holiday was perfect we had two weeks of sun and relaxation with two happy girls. We hired a car, bicycles and quad bikes, went to the water park, Kos town and to the Thermas spa region which is definitely worth a visit, there is plenty to do.
I used the spa facilities in the hotel which are very nice.

11  Thank vivarioja
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Just come back from 11 nights stay at this hotel and the hotel itself is beautiful with lovely grounds and very well kept in general. What lets this hotel down is some of the reception staff and guest relations lady who are very abrupt and generally quite rude. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and was told the room type we booked(family room with divider) was not available and to go to reception at 10am in the morning and they will sort it out (the man on reception was pleasant). We did this and was told we had to wait for the reservations manager to come in...after waiting 20 minutes and still nothing i inquired again and was told i just had to wait... the guest relations lady then came up to me and told me 12 o clock! i explained to her that i was told by 2 separate people to come at 10am and we are unable to unpack and start enjoying our holiday until our room has been sorted she seemed very disinterested and i was told i had to wait. I tracked down our hotels 4 u rep who told me what the reservations manager looked like so when he came in i walked back to the desk and was told again by the reception staff to sit down. After waiting another 25 minutes and still nothing i queued up again and was then told by one of the reception staff that she had spoken to the reservations manager and they would upgrade us the following day ( i don't know when she intended to tell me this!!) so after two nights in a small room we were upgraded to a maisonette which was very spacious and a very nice room and we were pleased with the room. I do feel the reception staff and especially the guest relations lady (Anastasia) could do with some customer care training!!!! The good points though are the rooms are lovely and clean and the cleaners do an excellent job with fresh sheets and towels everyday and rooms cleaned to a high standard. The animation team were good especially alex and greta and we did enjoy there shows in the evening. The rest of the staff from the pool cleaners to all the restaurant staff and the porter(marco i think) were all very friendly. The water sports people on the beach were also very helpful. We did enjoy our holiday here and having stayed at a mitsis hotel last year also i would recommend them. Just a few issues need to be sorted out to make this hotel better such as i said earlier reception staff/guest relations being less abrupt/rude and the booking system for al a carte restaurants could made easier .

Room Tip: Maisonettes are huge with an upstairs and downstairs with bathrooms on each floor. Air con is really good in these rooms too.
2  Thank dance4everWales
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Flew out to the blue domes on the 10th July. Had a decent holiday - weather was fantastic - but I feel more tired than I was when I went away, which is disappointing sine that was the point of the holiday. Below are the japes I have about the hotel. This may be a fairly long review however if you want a real idea of what it is like I would take the time to read!

1. My biggest issue was the dining experience. There is a main restaurant which does have a good selection of food. But, if you want some variation you need to book the themed restaurants. they have one computerised system with a touch screen to book this. The spaces are limited so if you want a spot at your desired restaurant you will need to be up bright and early to go to the machine to book it (7am is pushing it). The touch screen isnt callibrated properly and this combined with guests that seem to have never used a computer in their life results in a good 15 minute wait to your turn (very early in the morning still). Once at the restaurants you are assigned a 1hr15 slot to eat. You are rushed into the restaurant, rushed to order your food by miserable waiters (though there were a few friendly ones). The food flys out and you barely have time to breath before they're trying to take your plates and usher you out.

Breakfast. I really enjoyed the selection of food here - you shouldn't be disappointed and taking them week off my usual diet to gorge myself with the selection was good fun. My problem was that once seated, you will have to quite literally defend your table. Numerous times my girlfriend and I sat down, had to wait in excess of 10 mins of coffee, even after asking twice. Then we would go up to get out food. By the time we got back the waiters had cleared our coffee/any food and other guests being shown to the table. They are desperate to get rid of you and cater for the next group of people. This happened numerous times - I would suggest leaving a note on your table saying 'not finished yet' if you plan on eating there.

The pool restaurants - I have largely positive comments here. The food was always prepared in front of you and was very tasty, albeit a bit greasy at times but hey we're in greece. The pastry corner was great with Ice cream, crepes and cakes whenever you wanted them. The girl working there is an asset to the hotel, keeping her cool with numerous rude customers + her manager talking down to her. In the Beeria I ordered smoked mackerel which came out as a frozen fillet of fish but this was the only disppointing lunch time meal of the week.

2. Air conditioning - barely noticeable. Extremely difficult to sleep at night and I don't think there was a night where I didn't wake up covered in sweat. Not what you would expect from a '5*' hotel.

3. Sunbeds. First day we got to the pool at around half 9. No sunbeds in sight available yet less the a quarter were occupied. We went to the beach instead which luckily there were beds. Second day I got up at 7 to reserve our sunbeds, same story.. All the sunbeds were reserved. Third day and from then onwards my alarm was set for 6:30am and even then it was a push to get decent sunbeds. Absolutely ridiculous. The towels given to us to begin with weren't big enough to cover a small child let alone a sunbed.

4. Gym. Well depends what you define as gym. If you would call a box room with a cross trainer and a rack of free weights going up to 12.5kg a gym then you'll be very satisfied. The only upside was that I was able to get very creative with my workouts, though they weren't very effective. Also, you will need to book the box room in half an hour slots if you want to use it.

Wow. I thought I had an ok time but reading this back makes me realise I'm kidding myself. I paid just under 1600 pounds for my girlfriend and I for 7 days. Whilst not a lot of money, i feel the whole experience was extremely overpriced and much better value could have been found elsewhere. Saying this, my girlfriend loved it, though she wasn't the one trekking around the complex at half 6 in the morning, arguing with waiters and skulking around reserving sunbeds.

Looks are deceiving at the blue domes. However, I think the source of all these problems is the pure amount of people they are trying to cater for. With fewer guests there would plentiful sunbeds, staff would be less stressed and it would be a lot more relaxing in general.

If you're reading this and have already booked don't despair, the food is very nice, the complex itself is stunning and you will have a great time if you aren't as cynical as I am.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple