“Avoid Room 17...”

Nikos II Apartments
“Avoid Room 17...”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at Nikos 2 apartments and want to give an honest opinion of our experiences whilst we were there so that other visiters can maybe avoid the pitfalls that we have had.
George the owner was a lovely guy who made a very good first impression with us. He met us off the coach and helped us with our bags and took us to our room. As we hadn't stipulated any preferences we were given room 17 which is on the ground floor immediately behind the bar area. the room was very clean and tidy, basic but for £4 a night we could not really complain. We did however as soon as we unpacked found that the shower and water not working so brought it to Georges attention who told us it was a 'bit stiff' as had not been used much recently. Fair enough we thought and left it at that. Next morning could not turn the shower off and again had to get George to sort the shower out so it didn't use all the hot water for the block. George again very apologetic. This was not a huge issue but we did have to use a lot of elbow grease turning the taps off everytime we used water. We also noted that the shower window would not close at all and this caused an awful lot of problems unfortunately. As I mentioned earllier Flat 17 was on the ground floor immediately behind the bar. As the pool area is locked at nightime means that everyone has to walk past 17 if they are staying in the studio apartments. The broken window unfortunately means that the unfortunate occupants of 17 have to listen to everyone coming in from the clubs and bars which for us was a very unpleasant experience. Dont get us wrong we have not a problem with people going out to the clubs and having fun but there should be some consideration for other people who are already in bed. our first week we have to say was pretty bad with the noise of people coming in from 2am until 6am with shouting, banging doors, music on the balconies and shouting between the rooms. on two occasions I got up to say something and was told not to by my wife for fear of making tensions worse the next day.
My wife had a terrible first week and had to sleep all day by the pool to try to catch up on sleep she was missing at the nightime. We mentioned this to George and asked after putting up with this for a week if we could move upstairs for the second week. George unfortunately just said 'It is very difficult' and left it at that without even looking to see if there was somewhere he could move us to. i was furious but said nothing more. The next night we had the same noise and next day at the pool my wife was so tired I was really worried she was starting to become physically ill through lack of sleep. we had some lunch in the bar area at lunchtime and George could see that all was not well. It didn't help matters when he couldn't remember my wife's name and she went to the room really upset that not only was George not willing to help us he also after a week couldn't even remember her name. George said to me 'is all ok?' i replied 'not really, she has had no sleep now for 4 days and is now fit for nothing through the daylight hours'. i was really disappointed with how George handled this and hold my hands up was a bit off with him as I felt he was being negligent of being a manager in addressing our concerns. Later that day he knocked on our door and said he had looked and could now move us upstairs. Hallelujah! George I was pleased no note was finally one week in finally listening to us. Now had George acted when we first asked to move upstairs we think we would not be writing the review we have. But because he did not try to move us and we thought we were stuck on the ground floor for potentially another week of hell did lead us to having negative views on George as a manager. we have stayed in Greece for many years and usually get to know the families running the hotels pretty well but felt with George we never got past the 'yamas' statements. Now this is the point I want to make. George in my opinion does not like to deal with problems. This is a small but vital point to note. We tried to say to George that it wasn't just the noise, the real issue which made it all bad was the aforementioned broken shower window. George however we feel had already decided that we were just complaining about the noise as kept saying that 'young people will always make noise' but was not listening to the point about the window which was the major problem with room 17.
my wife and I decided that there was no real point in trying to explain to George anymore as I think he just thought we were a couple of complainers and he did not try to engage with us any more after that. We felt he spoke to us only if he had to and usually for the benefit of other guests to have some kind of social veneer.

Michael (George's brother) I have to say is absolutely lovely and will do all he can to help you if he can. We had a conversation with him one evening about his passion (being music) and will attempt to make a few cocktails if you want one on returning to the studio's after a night out. The cleaner also I have to say is lovely and does a great job of keeping on top of the rooms.

I do want to mention about the 'rep' Dougie also. we booked the apartment through one of the websites and found out that 'Dougie' was attached to Nikos 2 and was usually available 11am and 4.30pm most days. We asked Dougie about whether there were any beaches north of the main beach and were told definately not as the mountains just came down into the sea... one week later we found out there was a lovely little beach 'Malibu Beach' with an excellent bar run by George and Taz. Good atmosphere, free pool loungers and attached strip of beach. Finding this was an absolute gem and made our holiday as we did find Nikos 2 pool area lacking in any kind of atmosphere. We were told later that Dougie is paid to tell people only about the main beach area and Malibu Bar relies on word of mouth to get people down there. Finding Malibu made our holiday and I cannot stress enough to search this place out as soon as possible!
Lastly just a word of caution about the weekly barbque. It is 12 Euros but in my opinion is a total rip off. Greek bbq's in my experience have always had an event feel about them. But basically you come down to the bar area at 7.30pm have a paper plate with a pork scewer with a bit of tatziki, cous cous and vine leaves and a bit of Greek Salad put in front of you with a glass of wine. No atmosphere at all and one hour later George shouts 'Yamas' for the umpteenth time and it is all over. there are many such bbq's in hotels in Kardamena with free flowing wine and for a lot less that Georges so please research these before you commit. i along with other guests found the bbq to be a total waste of time and money.
So to conclude. George I feel has to make a decision as to what clients he wants to aim at for Nikos 2 apartments. he is trying to balance having everyone come and hope that people do not complain about the noise. We only went as we thought it was mainly older (40+) people but found it to be 80% younger first week and 70% younger second week and certainly would not have gone if we thought it were to be like this. I can unfortunately see this place becoming a focus for younger groups and given the experiences we had in the first week would pity couples trying to have a 'quiet getaway'. But judge for yourselves. We just wanted to put 'our' experience out there so others do not fall into the misguided belief that this was a little bit of paradise on the outskirts of Kardamena (which unfortunately it is not).

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs at the far end of the bar area. Avoid room 17 as all the clubbers walk past from 2...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul2835

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
Uk essex
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Me and my boyfriend recently stayed here for two weeks. Very relaxing holiday. Rooms are basic but very clean . George and Michael are very friendly and would help with anything. Perfect place to chill out in the day by the lovely clean pool. 15 min walk to the main strip and only 5 euros in a taxi home after a few drinks could take a while to walk and road very busy and dark. Went on a few trips with Harriet travel . Very good and on time no waiting about. Water park was lovely great day out . Air con is a must ! 70 euros for two weeks well worth it !! . Would defo visit nikos 2 again in the future . :)

2 Thank UkessexRichard
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I should start by saying that I haven't stayed at these apartments as my sister lives on the island of Kos, so I tend to stay at her house.
I have however, spent the last eleven days relaxing by the spotlessly clean pool and using the on site facilities.
Firstly, what makes this pool so lovely is the fabulous welcome you receive by George, his brother Michael and his family.
The following things are worthy of note:
1. Spotlessly clean pool and toilets. The pool has steps going into it which was a plus for some of our group, who don't like to get their noses wet. The pool is large and there is a small baby pool should you need it. It was very refreshing given the temperatures we enjoyed during our stay.
2. There are plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas and this year I was pleasantly surprised to see new loungers with deep and comfortable mattresses, despite the old ones being perfectly fine. It is never a problem getting a sun lounger at this pool, so enjoy a lay in safe in the knowledge that you will still get a spot in the sun.
3. There is a good selection of food and drink at reasonable prices. I have enjoyed several cooked breakfasts this week including tea, juice and toast. We also loved the stuffed vine leaves made by Georges mother in law. The beer is served in frozen glasses and the orange juice is freshly squeezed if you ask. Need I say more!
4. There is a selection of books should you wish to read and a selection of sun tan lotions should you run out.
We enjoyed Splash Pool last year which was recommended to us by a friend and when we returned this year, George had even noticed that we came out two weeks later this year and we got a wonderful welcome back to his establishment. He made us feel very welcome and we will be sure to return next year. If the pools anything to go by I'm sure the apartments will be just as nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jules-23_06-70
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went on our first girls holiday & it was even better than what we thought it would be, if you are looking for a girls or guys holiday that's chilled out but still with te chance to go out nikos 2 is perfect! The staff are unbelievably friendly (Michael and George) they do lovely food & we met some amazing people! I really recommend this place & I will definetly be returning next year! Thanks George & Micheal

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jodiepilkington
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Me and a few mates returned to nikos for the second time after coming 2 years ago and it was still perfect. Anyone looking for a place to stay on a lads or lasses holiday nikos has everything you need! The rooms are cool and clean and fit the purpose for this type of holiday. George and michael are the two friendliest people i have ever met and never hesitate to help you out. The pool area is nice and quiet to chill out in and the overal location is no more than 10 minutes from all the main areas of kardemena. Overall i loved staying at nikos and will 100% be returning next year with the boys

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Coosh91
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Me and my wife have just spent another week at Nikos 2. This time we were put into the apartments that are on the roadside, although more basic than the more recently built apartments we could not fault the accomodation - they had also been given a facelift from the previous year and air con had been fitted which was an added bonus.

As per the previous 2 visits to the Nikos 2 the apartments were very clean ! Sabina the cleaner came and cleaned every day and made the beds.

George, Michael and Coco were very hospitable and friendly. Service with a smile seems to be the order of the day at Nikos. We were also happy to see that the prices had remained the same as last year even though there had been a vat increase.

Will definitely be visiting again!!

6 Thank Limara S
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have just returned from our fourth visit to Nikos 2. (June 2013) George, Michael & Coco greeted us like family and made us feel so very welcome. Sabina also needs a mention for her meticulous cleaning of the rooms. It is a quiet and wonderful place for a relaxing holiday. However, if you like the hustle and bustle of bars & nightclubs, they are all within walking distance - about 10-15 mins depending on how fast you walk. The pool is one of the cleanest I know of in Kardamena and there are always plenty of sunbeds available. The full English is great value at 5.50 Euros. There is a great beach just at the end of the dirt track opposite Nikos 2. Along the front are plenty of restaurants serving traditional Greek food. Try Pelagos with mad Mike, the waiter. He's great. The Avli is amazing, if a little more expensive than others. A visit to Memories is a must. It's now a bar & restaurant run by Andreas. He's the perfect host a will have you in stitches. Cant wait to go back. Thank you one & all. x

Room Tip: Room 16 is excellent
4 Thank heidi2910