“Good Choice For Us!”
Review of Hotel Macedonia

Hotel Macedonia
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was worried when I booked this after the reviews about the planes that go over the Hotel, Our 2 year old daughter is a light sleeper and didn't wake once. The planes were novel and our daughter said 'they were boss'!
The food was ok..... reasonably priced, Pizza was totally amazing try LEPS special.
The BBQ wasn't good and hardly any choice @ 10euro pp. Cocktails were not good but were reasonably priced at 4euro as was Mythos at 2.70 euro a pint. They need coke on draught as I had flat coke in my southern comfort plenty of times from a bottle !
Wi Fi should be FREE, we went elsewhere to get free wifi and I agree this is a selling point and we would have stayed in their bar longer. The bar is a good one and we met lovely people there, especially the gang from Sunderland and I had a sing a long with the Famous Cliff. Also Levi and Kate! Our daughter liked to sing and dance there especially when the BBQ night had Greek dancers!
The rooms are clean and enough space in the studio, we hired a travel cot at 14 euros for a week which I think should have been free. The pool was lovely but we had a terrible week for weather May 14-May 21st 2014, enjoying only 2 days of heat, I froze the rest of the time so we didn't sample the pool. We had a middle floor pool-view room which was lovely to sit on the balcony, albeit in socks and wrapped in a duvet!!
The location is great, turn right for a 5min walk to the beach or left for a 5min walk to the strip. We walked to Laganas on the road it took half an hour and the beach route was a little shorter. I thought that Laganas and Kalamaki was run down and full of unfinished buildings....with bad weather there was little to do so we spent a fortune!
Best cocktail was at Black Pearl or Bad Apple, don't bother with the other places , they were rubbish, mojitos like a glass of lime! Best food at Grill and Sizzle, looks like a takeout from the roadside but is family run traditional greek food and was AMAZING!! Try the Greek platter and the mixed Grill!
Heavens kitchen was nice, Olive tree was lovely, try their burger and Yummy was the friendly Aussy Lady who made good breakfast ! Somewhere called Fardai I think was amazing as well, its at the centre of the strip and traditional greek...try lamb kleftiko and mousakka.
Ciggies are priced @39euro for 200 and the same price everywhere even the airport, this is the crappest airport ever , it only sells pasties or a cheese and ham roll priced at 4.50 euro...take a packed lunch , we had a 2 hour delay! Alcohol in stores are expensive , cost more than here for southern comfort and couldn't find pernod for my mum anywhere!
I wouldn't return purely as theres not a lot to do there and there are better places like Alcudia for families. The beach wasn't great but like I said we had rubbish weather! If you are older and like a very quiet place with a 10minute walk on a strip then this may be the place for you. Hotel wise was a good choice for us!

Room Tip: Get a pool view on middle floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Louc1298

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Another great holiday, Stayed here many of times, ....... very clean rooms, lovely family run apartments, great grub and most certainly return in the future!!!! Looking forward to stay here again this year!!

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank Joeaevans
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Just back after a week at the Macedonia Hotel in Kalamaki, our second visit in 3 years.

The hotel is very clean and the gardens are well maintained. The pool is big enough and there are plenty of good quality sun loungers. The staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. As mentioned in my last review, the toilets by the pool are the nicest I've ever seen in Greece and deserve an award.

The bar prices are very reasonable, €2.50 for a 500ml bottle of Mythos and great cocktails for €4. (I can recommend Kalli's own special cocktail!)
Food and snacks are reasonably priced too.

The only negative point is that they charge for wifi. This was something other guests thought too. If the wifi were free people would stay longer in the bar and not go to the strip to take advantage of the free wifi on offer. €25 for wifi for the week is way over the top.

Out and about there are loads of places the eat and drink and it's worth the walk to the old town.

The beach is only a few minutes away and the Kalamaki Beach Taverna is a great spot for lunch.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Pooley-1
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I haven't written a hotel review before but thought it might help others after reading some of the previous comments and knowing I had been in two minds about booking this place when I had read some of the slightly negative comments. I can honestly say I'm glad I booked this hotel.

We have just spent a week here and it was very clean, the rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are better than a lot I have seen in Greek apartments, with a power shower. We had a studio which did contain a kettle and enough cups / plates etc but no toaster or microwave. The linen was changed and the room cleaned every other day. There was a hairdryer and a safe in the room (which we paid extra for)

The staff / family were all very friendly without being gushy, and the barmaid Kalli could not have been more helpful, the same with the guy who served us our breakfast every morning (one of the sons but I didn't get his name) - he was always very polite and helpful. We were bed and breakfast and on the first day he brought out lots of food but then said we could request what we wanted and if he could he would serve it.

The location was perfect for us, it's right at one end of the "strip" and a few minutes away from the airport. It's very quiet at this time of year so we only saw a few flights a day going overhead and they do fly right over the top of the hotel but I enjoyed seeing them, it was not a disturbance at all to me. A matter of opinion I suppose. There are loads of supermarkets, lovely tavernas and bars within a few minutes walk (our favourites were Merlis, Zakanthie, Oceanic, Oasis and Iguana but the food / cocktails were excellent in all of them, it would be hard to choose) and the sandy beach is about 5 mins at the bottom of the road which the hotel is on.

All in all I would recommend this hotel and if I had to find a negative the only thing would be the fact that the wi-fi is not free. A lot of the surrounding bars and restaurants give free wi-fi when you buy food or drink and Macedonia charge about 25e per week; we would have maybe spent more time and money in the hotel bar if it had been free, in my opinion it's a selling point.

We walked to Laganas and it took about 25 mins to get to the start of the strip and maybe about 45 to get to the harbour, but we walked back along the beach which was a bit shorter.

We stayed on the first floor and the view of the pool was slightly obscured by trees but the gardens are beautiful and very well kept. The pool is clean and large and there are lots of decent sunbeds, a shaded seating area and a hammock. And the pool toilets are new and very clean, there are some things about this hotel that would put a lot to shame!

If I was going back to Kalamaki I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: As others have said, maybe request a higher room as there are lots of trees in the gardens which may...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Helen J
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Was a bit nervous about staying here after reading some bad reviews, but was very impressed...Our flight was the first ones into Zante at 6am and was transfered to our hotel shortly after, our check-in wasn't until the afternoon but the staff had done their best to have our rooms ready and only had to wait the best of a hour...The room was very modern and spacious...huge shower and balconies to accompany the room, was very clean :) The food and drink at the pool bar was amazing with themed nights throughout our stay...The only slight downfall about this hotel is its situated on the flight path so there are lots of low flying planes but didn't annoy us too much...
Beach is only a 5 min walk to the right of the hotel...and the resort centre about 10mins from the top of the road to the left. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa J
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Four friends stayed here in September 2013, 1st impressions were very good, the grounds are really nice and clean, pool area and bar are great. Rooms are basic, but it is Greece and unless you pay for luxury, this is usual. Clean and spacious though. Not as hard to self cater as some reviewers have said, though there is a small supermarket across the road that sell ready made sandwiches for less than 2 euros which made lunchtime snacks very easy! Also the bar area has a very good menu for snacks and meals. Breakfast wasn't great, but saved a walk along to the main village some mornings. We had a room on the top floor of the middle building, however our friends had a much smaller, darker room below ground level on what looked like the 1st building built. It wasn't great, so try to request a higher one, these lower rooms tend to attract more mosquitoes too.
Its a 5-10 min walk to the beach, which has some very stony parts in some areas, be careful. I know its a conservation area so there is nothing along the beach in way of bars and restaurants, I missed that, I like to walk along a beach stopping for a snack or a drink. There is one bar but it was a bit scruffy. Its another 10 minutes into the beginning of the village, though there are plenty of bars further on, it just seemed we were at the wrong end of kalamaki, therefore, most nights we didn't make it much further than Drunk Corner bar - great staff, drinks and food here!
I do love Zakynthos and have been a few times, though if i go back I will stick to Alykes/Alikanas. We hired a jeep and went though most of the touristy parts, and Alykes still has the most going for it in my opinion.
Oh and the planes ARE frequent, ARE noisy, deafening in fact, though great to watch and if you like plane watching, you wont mind at all. If you don't like noise, do not book this hotel and then complain :)

Room Tip: Try not to get the lower ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank tracylh5791
Reviewed April 2, 2014

we have been going here twice a year but a familly wedding has stopped us going in june so roll on august two weeks of pure joy cant wait its a familly run hotel and they cant do enough for you also the cleaning staff are first class

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple