When we looked at previous reviews, we were worried about the standard of this place, but we had already booked it, so we had to go. What we found when we got there was a delightful hotel, and nothing like these negative reviews!!
First the room (twin room) was v nice, and had a balcony looking over the pool, tv, armchair, completely useable and clean bathroom.
2nd the staff were lovely!!! they really looked after us, and helped us whenever they could! One day we came back to our room and the lock on the french balcony door had been damaged. we mentioned this to the reception staff before the evening meal, and when we went back up to the room after the meal, it was fixed with a brand new lock!!
3rdly, the food. Now, for all-inclusive, we are not talking 5-star prices here, so u can't expect perfection. However, if u are willing to try different foods, and like greek food, then the food was really nice!! both me and my sister agreed on this, and looked forward to the meals (we really do consider food a big part of a holiday, and it didnt dissappoint!). They had different foods out every day (we were afraid it may be the same food everyday before we went), and alot of the food tasted like it had been made fresh on-site. There was lots of choice, and we would always have more than one plate of food each meal time. Now of course, this is greece, so expect lots of feta cheese, tomatoes raw and cooked, watermelon, yogurt, fruit, olive oil, salads, vegetables, meats (cooked in sauces, in the oven, or grilled meats, an amazing array of different dishes made with filo pastry (cheese pie spinach pie apple pie custard pie, filo pasty with lemon juice and syrup pie....the list goes on and we found it amusing to look for the filo dish of the day!!) stuffed veg etc. They also did chips, pizza, beans chicken nuggets for the less adventurous!!
The all-inclusive drinks list was a bit dissappointing, but i guess u get what u pay for, however it did include beer, wine, ouzo, vodka, coke, tea and coffee, lemon fanta maybe a couple of others i cant remember! oh and u could get large bottles of water to take to your room too.
Some of the reviews do mention the proximity of the hotel to the flightpath! I would say that yes, you do get a very good look at planes going past, and you almost feel like you should wave to the people on board as it goes past, but i must say they never woke me or my sister up on a night, which is what we were concerned about. The airport is just outside kalimaki, so quite near the hotel, so yes, you do expect to hear and see the planes - it would be perfect for any plane-spotter!!! but honestly, it wasn't really a problem!!
Overall we really enjoyed our stay here, and would recommend it!
We were staying all-inclusive, 7 nights with thomas cook, sisters aged 25 and 30, who wanted a restful holiday in the sun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern resort, the ideal place for those seeking after a relaxing holiday.Comfortable accomodation and friendly service should prove a winning from break. It's ideal for couples and families. The location of Golden Sun Hotel is one of its main assets: built just 150 meters from the sandy beach of Kalamaki, surrounded by evergreen trees and situated only 6 km from the island's town, it shall provide for a unique vacation experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Sun Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sun And Beach Hotel
- Golden Sun Hotel Zakynthos/Kalamaki