I booked this hotel on an All Inclusive basis for 2 weeks for my boyfriend and me. Im not a big drinker but my boyfriend was keen to go all inclusive so we didnt have to worry about money. Before booking i read loads of reviews which all seemed to be really positive. Our experience was a bit different.
First off i cant fault the staff in the hotel, there arn't many members of staff but they are all very nice and helpful and work long hours. When arriving we were given a twin room with a garden view but we had booked a double room with a pool view, this was no longer available. We didnt mind the garden view so much as it was quiet at the back of the hotel apart from the planes going by each day. I have to admit there were bad comments about the planes before i booked but foolishly thought "How bad can it be?" - Its bad. The planes arrive throughout the day and night and we wer woken several times around 4am with the noise of the planes coming in. Im usually qhite a deep sleeper and dont wake easily but the planes are very loud and look like they could be landing in the garden outside.
We were also impressed that we would have a free minibar in the room filled everyday as part of the all inclusive program, this didnt happen. We had a small fridge i the room which came in useful when we had to buy our own juice from the shop as the juice in the hotel was so bad. Again im not hard to please, i dont need it to be real fanta or real coke, i can drink the cheap imitation stuff but the juice was ridiculous, like cheap stuff that had been further diluted with water.
The food and drink had great reviews which was my main reason for booking but we were both very disappointed with the reality. Cocktails are not included in the all inclusive although they were supposed to be when we booked. Fruit juice is also not included. You can have vodka, brandy, beer, ouzo and either red, white or rosy wine. i tried everything and couldnt drink any of it. Usually i could take the vodka with coke or fanta or something but as their juice was so watery it didnt disguise the taste at all so all we managed to drink for 2 weeks was shandy.
The food consisted of pizza most days which was lucky as this is all we could really eat, the odd occassion we were lucky to get a baked potatoe but this is the worst all inclusive i have ever had. When going all inclusive in the past i have had a choice of meats including chicken, pork, lamb, beef etc. The food hasnt always been amazing but its been nice enough and edible. Any meed you get here is on the bone and very very fatty, i did try it as i dont mind picking off the bone but it was so fatty i couldnt eat it.
If you dont plan at getting up at 7am everyday to put your towels out your not going to get a sunlounger at the pool.
The hotel was clean and as i said the staff were great. We had to pay 30 euro for the safe for 2 weeks which we didnt really need as the cleaner was an elderly woman who was very nice and i didnt feel that we would have anything stolen. Staff were all nice with exeption of sideshow bob who i think just doesnt speak as much English as the rest so wasnt ever rude just not as chatty. Would stay at the hotel again but only on a self catering basis. Definitely not worth the £780 each that we paid for all inclusive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern resort, the ideal place for those seeking after a relaxing holiday.Comfortable accomodation and friendly service should prove a winning from break. It's ideal for couples and families. The location of Golden Sun Hotel is one of its main assets: built just 150 meters from the sandy beach of Kalamaki, surrounded by evergreen trees and situated only 6 km from the island's town, it shall provide for a unique vacation experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Bookgreece.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Sun Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sun And Beach Hotel
- Golden Sun Hotel Zakynthos/Kalamaki