“The beach :)”
Review of Kalamaki Beach

Kalamaki Beach
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Kalamaki
More attraction details
Owner description: Near Laganas, in Laganas Bay - natural reservation for the Caretta Caretta turtles.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The beach was mostly closed when we went so I cant rate it highly. It was very beautiful with its great photo opportunity's. But as most was closed we only chose a walk instead of a day.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Kalamaki beach is at one end with Laganas at the other - chalk and cheese. Kalamaki is quieter and good for real beach lovers and families. Sandy beach and great swimming.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was on holiday in Kalamaki in September 2012. The weather was glorious, better than when I was in Argassi in May.
I was staying at the Macedonia Hotel, just down the road from the beach, about a 5 min walk.
It was very safe, I left my things on the beach while I was snorkelling, kept looking back though. I like to find my own area away from other people. I found that people watched each others things automatically, a neighbourly thing, we watched out for each other which was good.
A couple left everything on the beach and went on a pedalo for an hour! It was all there and nobody went near.
The planes fly right over the beach, up the road an over my hotel to land. It is very exciting watching out into the distance trying to spot the next one. There is the Kalamaki beach taverna where you can have a snack while people watching, it's expensive though but I couldn't resist treating myself one day.
At the entrance to the beach is a hut and wardens are there to tell you about the turtles which nest there. Over each one is a wooden frame marking the nest and people have to use the front of the beach so as to not disturb the eggs. I walked along the beach one morning about 7am hoping to see a hatchling but unfortunately I was unlucky.
I walked right along and came to Laganas beach which was very busy, lots of cafe's and bars on the beach wanting you're trade. There is lots of seating and music and you can order practically anything to eat or drink. Most offer free wifi to get you in.
Further along is Agios Sostis. where I went on the underwater turtle spotting cruise on the yellow submarine. Everyone sits downstairs looking through the windows. A few fish went past but I didn't see a turtle, though some people down the other end did. After a while we all went on deck to see from the boat. We were lucky enough to see one and I was thrilled to bits and struggling to get my camera, hoping to get a good shot, which I did and will try to upload.
Agios Sostis has an island with a long wooden walkway which is gorgeous. I did try to go on it but there was a wedding and restrictions on walking around. They were charging about 5 euro to go up and a free drink was included, I declined and went on the beach instead.
I had a leisurely walk back, enjoying the sand art, the sun and the totally chilled vibe.
I spent time just sitting in the sea at Kalamaki. I felt little nips and pinches on my feet which was a bit strange. When I looked more closely, it was the fish nipping on the skin on my feet. These are the fish from the foot spas where you pay about 10euros for maybe 15 mins. So if you fancy a foot spa, just go the beach and you can have it all week for free.
These beaches were lovely, there was something there for everyone. It was very relaxing and the planes and fish were pretty fab!
I have tried to add some photo's but it won't let me. I will do a review on the Macedonia Hotel next and hopefully I will be able to add them to that one.

2  Thank AnnPen13
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Nice and quiet beach. The sand was lovely and soft and you can walk out for a long way- the water is very shallow. Sun beds were €3.50 for the day, which is pretty reasonable.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Visited several times during week of 14th October. Pretty much deserted that late in the season which was ideal. Loungers and umbrellas still available though and the central beach bar was still open for business and surprisingly reasonable. Excellent sand for building castles and the sea is very shallow and therefore warms up quickly during the day. Beach was very clean and the water clear.

The road back up from the beach is a bit tricky for low powered hire cars, but then again the smell of burning clutch doesn't last that long.