“Just booked to go back!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalamaki
Carreta Beach Holiday Village
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Going back for 11 nights with my family (boy aged 7, daughter aged 5) this time between June 16th-27th as a week just flies!

Really looking forward to going there with this being our 3rd trip in the last 3 years.

Cant fault the place, always enough sun loungers around the pools or the joined on aqua park (which is outstanding for all age groups).

Food is really good in the restraunt, and there are plenty of snacks including chips & pizzas throughout the day and the kids (and adults alike can help themselves to unlimited amounts of ice-cream all day too!).

Plenty of drinks to choose from, and over the last year they`ve made it easier with some cocktails and kids drinks being self-serve so much quicker too.

Appartments can be seen to your right of the plane seconds before landing (can see the aqua park...especially the orange boomarang ride), therefore would advise to get a taxi there as Thomas Cook charge £100 for transfers for a family of 4 when it is literally only about 2 miles away max, (would be about 800m as the crow flies!).

You can watch the planes landing from the aqua park which is nice and they don`t fly in the nights as not to upset the turtles on the beaches with them being sacred!!!

In the nights we mostly enjoyed just chilling by having a few drinks from the bar and watching the kids play in the on-site park, quietly relaxing after a fun day.

If you want to watch the entertainment which is located at the main bar this is very good too!

All the best.....Greg, Llanelli, S.Wales

Room Tip: We`ve stayed in B block as overlooking one of the pools and close to the main bar, restraunt and aqu...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank 661GregC
Thomas M, Manager at Carreta Beach Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear guest we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

went for one week aug 12 , brilliant place took a 10 year old she loved it , brill family place .taz was brill in his bar , on site water park great food plenty and really nice. sad to say it was only a week.a fab relaxing time would do it again tomorrow

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank michelle h
Thomas M, General Manager at Carreta Beach Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind review we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

The resort is in a beautiful location, made up of a lovely collection of smaller hotels around a main complex which includes shops, bars, restaurants. Staffed by great, friendly staff, serving great food, the kids loved the whole experience, and they enjoyed the secure kids club and their activities. Complex includes access to the safe water park. not to far to walk to the lovely clean beach, but hotel provides a free bus. Kids never bored, plenty to do. Decent evening entertainment. Hope to come back as it was effortless in respect of keeping the kids busy and entertained. Would be great for both families with small kids and for teenagers. Short transfer from airport was a bonus too!

Room Tip: The resort is a collection of hotels. I stayed in the main complex, but expect all rooms would be of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
22  Thank Bluebell2325

Dear guest we realy thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here in July 2012 with my son (3) a friend (both in our 30's) and her son (6) we all had a fabulous time. The staff could not have been anymore helpful, food was very nice and the waterpark was great the kids were never out of the water leaving us to catch the sun and that we did. It is very hot and when you are in the waterpark in and out of the water you don't realise just how hot it is. The bar served vodka redbull (there version) so I was happy as it's the first place I know to do this. Entertainment was good and got everyone involved at night!! There was a kids club however we didn't use it but it looked like they had fun!! Enjoy your hol we did and we I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Donnaxx_8

Thank you for your kind reviews i hope to see you soon

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Well I was a little worried about going here after the mixed 're views but I've got to admit that it ment that I had no expectations of the place. I can say though that I am so pleased we dint change our minds and go else where! We had such a fantastic time! On arrival it did feel a little disorganised but then there were lots of people all checking in at the same time. Staff were on hand to direct you in the right direction and were very friendly. We were staying in a two bedroom apartment, we had 4 children with us, 2 of which were babies, so I was little shocked to see the amount of stairs that we had to climb, and no lift! We did ask at the reception and we did view a room where access could be gained via a lift but as I had a double pushchair it just wouldn't fit! So we just kept carrying it up and down the stairs but too be honest it wasn't too big a problem! We went at the beginning of the season so mid may, by the time we were leaving as we stayed for two weeks they seemed to be preparing for a great amount of people, the subnets were doubling in number but I'm sure they would have coped very well. The smaller bars weren't open but it really bother us that much! The staff were so lovely, the water park is great and the food was good too! If we did ever consider returning to Dante we would go back to this hotel!
I do recommend though if you go on a boat trip to book with a local as you really do save money! But just beware we went on a pirate ship and boy was it a rough day! I wouldn't recommend it if you have children! The sea was rough and it was such a long trip. We were on the boat from 9 til 5.30! A few people we're sea sick too. When we reached the points of interest I was soon I'll I didn'tcare to look! Other people may say otherwise but me never dingbat again. One thing we did do but did book through agent was the Greek night. It was fantastic and as we were all inclusive it was nice to go out and taste Greek food properly, it was a great evening where you go off on a coach and enjoy Greece!
So overall would I recommend this place yes yes yes!!

Room Tip: If your not happy when you there with the room you've been given just ask and you will be moved.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank fairyfrance
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I travel to Zante and stayed at caretta beach hotel, with my whole family on arriving everyone was so helpful and kind and the hotel is spotless we couldn't fault it in any shape or form I was pregnant when I went to caretta beach I got very poorly and had to be taken in hospital and my son son was delivered by c section. It was a huge shock to our whole family but the support that we all received from the staff at caretta was unbelievable there the last kind hearted people ever and supported my family ever single day. The had special kids club just for my little girl and brothers and sisters for couple of days, the chef cooked me fresh food every day so my mum and dad could bring it to the hospital for me. I do not know how anyone can fault this hotel it's very very clean you have maids every day in ur room fresh towels fresh sheets. The food is lovely and you have so much choice aswell every day and night was different. We arrived as a guest but we left with some really good friends we are going back in June 2013 for my son 1st birthday cannot wait to go back and see everyone there would highly recommend this hotel for family couples friends there is something for everyone here 5star hotel xx

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Chloe R
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Before I tell you how fab the hotel was, a couple of tips if you haven't booked yet.....
1) The airport is 2km from hotel so DO NOT pay Thomas Cook prices for transfer. We paid £96 for 4 plus baby but taxi would have been 13.50 (euros) each way. You can actually walk if you don't mind cutting through a field (maybe not with suitcases) but taxi's easy to come by and you can actually go a little later than the coach pick up on departure day so catch some more rays. DO NOT worry about how close the airport is though - there are very few flights to the island (not even one every day) and the sound lasts a few seconds - just long enough for our one year old to get excited and shout 'plane'!!!
2) We paid for in flight meal which was fine but not really necessary. Price of on board menu once on is not expensive so could just choose food if you fancy it, and if early flight out like ours, could fill time waiting at airport by eating breakfast there, and wouldn't want anything on the plane. Some people gathered enough food from all inclusive hotel for flight back too which was easy to do - hotel staff were very accommodating.
3) I read loads of the reviews before we went and can honestly say there wasn't anything missed - meaning yes there was a cockerel but it didn't disturb us at all. Yes there are dogs in a nearby small holding but again, we didn't hear them at night and in the day could only hear them if walking at far side of hotel grounds. Sure the hotel is more 3star than 4 but that said you couldn't pick fault with anything specific - the decor etc is all clean, fresh and presentable.
People moaned about the entertainment but if you don't expect it then what they did do was a welcome treat! Greek dancing on the Friday night but other than that just bingo, karaoke, mini disco, quiz night etc.
4). The hotel has a private road driving in to it then out a different way, and initially I thought it was a public road and worried about cars and mopeds zooming past, but it is actually quiet. That said if your child wanders they could find themselves on the road very easily and quickly and so the overall safety is lacking a bit - thinking how some hotels are a big enclosed complex as this is not. Some of the apartment blocks, one of the pools and bars (shut for our stay but would be open peak season) the kids club and the supermarket are all on the other side of the road to the main bar, pools and restaurant.
So the GOOD STUFF......................
We traveled with a boy of 14, a girl of 10 and baby of 19months. We stayed in October half term but seemingly much of the UK's half term was the week after ours so the hotel which can take 1100 had only a hundred guests and it was bliss! It seems we were incredibly lucky with the weather - blue skies and 27degrees every day bar one - so you are taking a risk going so late at the end of the season. The place shuts this Thursday (we got back 2 days ago) and the weather is dull and overcast - so no sunbathing to be had for the last guests.
Our Apartment - B207 was spacious, clean, changed bedding and towels every day bar one, and the beds extremely comfy. Air con wasn't free - 15 for the week I think - we managed without. The safe was 5euros for the week and essential for peace of mind. We weren't too happy being given an upstairs room because of concerns over the balcony but this has been thought of and green perspex has been fitted to remove foot holes for would be climbers. We had a TV in the main room and the upstairs twin room and could get BBC1, ITV, sports, Sky News, CBeebies and more. It appears the bar have control over channels so pretty sure could source a desired channel if needed.
The bathroom was clean and despite the lack of shower curtain (nor pole) the water was hot and the hand held shower attachment very efficient so quick shower and bath both easy to use. A little soap is provided and a floor mat with a bundle of large and small towels - replenished daily. There was a soap dispenser on the bath wall too so nice little extras.
We needed a cot and it was a standard (though longer than I have at home) travel cot as we use in the UK which was a relief as we have had some rather dodgy collapsable wooden cots in previous hotels so no problem there.
Pools: There are loads of pools as well as the water park which is on site and we loved them all. Water wasn't too cold so long as sun was out. Being the end of season there were tonnes of inflatables around free to use so kids had great time. I liked that each pool idea was represented individually - so the wave pool is just a wave pool - and provided a lovely area for the toddler as she could go in a little at a time. The lazy river is just that. The baby slide and water bucket area has a constant depth (about knee height for adult) and is very big so lots to explore. The large slide options are fab - and being so quiet there were no queues. I can imagine there being long queues in the summer months. Our one yr old wasn't allowed on them even on our lap and I think the height restriction says no under 120cms. There are absolutely loads of loungers and all placed in pairs with a little table in between plus an umbrella. Another nice touch.
Food: the main bar had freshly made rolls (salad, chicken, tuna, ham), a delicious pizza -thincrust margherita served warm, chips and hotdogs available I think from 10a.m. - about 6p.m. and the drink options were pretty standard. Baileys was an equivilent but they had tia maria for example. I loved the beer - very light and not strong so drank plenty!!! My husband enjoyed the red wine thinking at first it was a bit tart but he seemingly acquired the taste for it! You can make a tea or coffee all day in the bar and there is a kettle in your room. I took my own coffee pouches because I'm fussy and actually found I used them in the restaurant at breakfast as I found that coffee dull, but enjoyed the coffee at the bar. I took some hot chocolate sachets too for the kids to have after a hot bath and they all got used.
In the restaurant you have a self service buffet which always included a children's selection of the usual plus pasta, then two soup options, various bread options, a large salad selection then a few mains. Usually a chef was preparing something fresh too - chicken kebab on Greek night, a bolognaise style wrap on Mexican night etc. Many puddings were available and whilst typical of Eastern European quisine, there was usually something which wasn't too sickly! Breakfast was cereal, toast, bread, jam honey etc, a full fry up and freshly fried eggs.
We enjoyed all of the food - it was better than school dinners but not al-a-carte so just a tasty selection of well cooked food.
We did not need to as our kids eat anything, but you certainly felt you could have put many a request in to the kitchen and the staff would have done their utmost to help.
The executive chef - Ayman - is a large smily chap who wanders around while you eat saying hello, and our one year old struck up a lovely friendship with him and our waiter - Juliano. The baby cottoned onto pudding being readily available and would shout out for it. If we didn't repsond she shouted 'Chef!' and he came running (well almost!). On the last two days he produced a chocolate desert which wasn't out for the rest of the guests - especially made for her.
There are loads of high chairs but only a couple which have removable tray allowing child to be right up at the table so take bibs in case you have to have the other ones.
There is a bar in the restaurant too with self service beer wine, juice, tea, coffee etc.
Ice cream is available in several places around the hotel for self service with 3 flavours and rather nice ice cream.
Kids club - Our 10 yr old (only child in right age bracket for club) used the club 3 or 4 times on an adhoc basis and twice for scheduled paid activities. One being the chocolate party (5euros) where they eat it and wear it! The other being the last night party bash (10euros) which she enjoyed. The 3 kids club reps we met were lovely girls and managed to muster up a good level of enthusiasm considering they were hours away from their flight home after a very long and exhausting season. The kids club venue is a large round building with mostly colouring exercises, an x box and a few arts and crafts, but the girls led activity programmes which kept the kids active so it was very pleasant considering it was free.
There is a little park with the kids club which we could use anytime because the place was so quiet, and also a larger park next to the water park. It was perfect for little ones and well kept.
Entertainment - this should be in the bad points section. Not so much what you could join in with - I've mentioned that already - but the rep who should have been stirring up enthusiasm during the day from guests to join in with the programme listed - voley ball, water polo, pool competitions, etc etc was no where to be seen by day, and gave 5 minutes lip service to the mini disco. I know it was his last week but it's not our fault as paying guests that Thomas Cook expect him to last til the end! Had the activities ran I could probably recommend the hotel for teenagers but there was nothing for them this week. Our 14 yr old son enjoyed the swimming pools and paid 1.50 euro each time he wanted to play a game of pool but that was it. He couldn't even access the xbox in the kids club because he was too old. He made friend and so made his own fun, but I could see other families at a loss of what to do as soon as the sun went in for their teenagers.
There are 3 computers in the main reception which cot 3.50 euro for 30minutes.
There are a few areas with sofas so nice to relax if wanting to be indoors.
There was a laundry room which was apparantly 4 euros in total for a load to be washed and dried, but I didn't look at it to comment further.
We went to a sports bar (Called Drunken Corner) just up the road from the hotel which have loads of screens in order to allow many different sporting events to be viewed at the same time and serves a delicious larger at a very reasonable price. It had a fab atmosphere and was a nice change from the hotel bar.
The hotel has a poorly kept but self contained football court which due to the rep not being around had no event organised on it but you could use it yourself.
Touring the island:
We booked smugglers cove through the Thomas Cook rep but it was cancelled due to there not being enough people to warrant the excursion, so we hired a car and drove ourselves.
1 - do not fret and use Avis as the rep advises - he is paid to recommend them. They charge 70 euros whereas the car hire place right next door charged us 20 euros for a 5 door car for 24 hours and actually let us have it 28 hours! With 20 euros of fuel we circled the whole island - no we weren't keen, the road signs are dreadful and the map not much better. Wish we'd taken the sat nav! Anyway, we left to early in th day for what we wanted because we had planned to end up at Sunset Tavern for the sunset at about 6p.m. but got there by 2p.m. and there was nothing to do at all for the 4 hour wait. Plus the night driving did not appeal on the poorly lit roads with no signs!!!! If we'd stuck to what they call the main roads we would be ok but there are too many extra country roads which get you to the coast to be really safe which you can't avoid. Also the map showed us two roads which take you to a beautiful little beach on the west side of the island (if you drive to the ariel view point for smugglers cove their are signs for boat trips to the cove - they fail to mention that in low season you will drive for 20 minutes to a deserted beach!) however the two roads cannot join due to cliffs and you have to drive 20 minutes back north before you can drive south to your hotel!!!! TOP TIP, tell your husband to stop at the junction when you are trying to make decisions about directions so that you don't drive any roads you hadn't planned to!!!!!
We didn't use the gym but it seemed to have a few decent pieces of equipment.
The bad points:
-Being the end of the season the island is like a ghost town - great for quiet roads and empty beaches, but nearly all shops shut and attractions including excursions were not in operation.
- Drainage is not great in Greece so you are asked to put tissue in the bin provided each time you use the loo, difficult to remember but everyone else has to do it too so you just get on with it. The bathroom has a drain hole in the floor which I read in one review about a faint odour it gives off with the advice to cover it with a towel. I did this each day and it worked. After our first bath the water gurgled up through the drain and flooded the floor but we told reception and they fixed the problem immediately - not bad for a Sunday evening so no complaints.
SO - IF you are still reading I hope this has helped. We had a lovely holiday - primarily because the weather was amazing and the water park was fantastic but also because the hotel staff really were very friendly and welcoming. We went with the intention to relax and do nothing and it was wonderful. If you want the strip of bright lights and busy nightlife it's a good half hour walk or a taxi ride away so suited us fine. The whole place had a very villagey feel, the kids made loads of friends and we would like to go again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family