“Best Holiday for a long time”

Bitzaro Palace Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Haverhill, United Kingdom
“Best Holiday for a long time”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I don't know what hotel some other critics on here were staying at but it was not this one!! Hotel very clean and friendly especially the two receptionist ladies, they were so helpful and friendly. Adie the First Choice rep could not do enough. My husband was taken ill on the plane and was taken by ambulance from the plane. Adie sorted everything for us including collecting our bags and taking them to hotel for us. The food was very good, but could do with a better choice of desserts. Hotel pool cleaned every day. Rooms were more than adequate for a holiday stay and kept very clean. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean and friendly hotel, and a bit of a quite restful holday, 10 mins walk to centre and 400m to beach. We will definately be going back.

2 Thank Susan I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wigan
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Well what can I say, my wife and myself have been to Greece for our last 8 holidays and love the islands and the Greek people, this is the 1st and last time All inclusive, the Bitzaro palace is defo not a 4 star hotel and more like a 2 maybe a 3 star, we stayed for 2 weeks at the beginning of Sept, I can't understand how virtually all the reviews for this hotel are really good ones, the people writing them must be blind and be used to bland food, don't get me wrong the food was all right but after a week we couldn't stand it any longer and ate out for the second week which is defeating the object of going all inclusive.
The drinks are of the cheaper local watered down variety and during the day are served in cheap plastic cups that collapse when you hold them!! If you want a bottle of water to take to your room it's 1€ for a litre or €2 for 6 from the pool bar during the day but they don't tell you this, this is the 1st all inclusive where we have had to pay for water!!!!!
There is Entertainment at the sister hotel the Bitzaro grande but when we went was made to feel 2nd class and unwelcome.
The pool changed to a merky green colour in the second week and the pathways never washed or hosed down in our 2 weeks, you could always get a sunbed because they are that old and threadbare with stains that most people went to the beach like us.
We had room 144 which was around the back which was out of the sun all day which wasnt a bad thing when its 30 degrees. The rooms are cleaned everyday and towels changed every other day, our room had mosquitos splattered on the ceilings and plug sockets selotaped to the wall, there is a pull cord at the side of the shower which when I pulled it fell off the wall bearing electric wires and the tiles had a lot of mol, scratches all over the toilet seat that looked like stains (I have photographic proof) the mattress was rock hard and the fridge had rust all over it masked by paint! The air conditioning is free between June and Aug but we had to pay 30€ per wk in Sept and its only on from 11pm to 7am, the rest of the time it's just a fan and the safe/security box is 30€ for 2 weeks, what's all that about when your paying nearly a £1000 each for the holiday.
Now to all the staff and management, I can't say a wrong word about any of them, they can't do enough for you and are very hard working, from Dennis the barman who is a star who collects, washes and serves drinks all evening, occasionally he gets a hand from George the soup and pool barman who's great. Then there is Petra, Vivee and Spiros the reception staff who go out of there way to help and assist you.
Kalamaki has some great restaurants and bars and All in all this has been a great holiday due to the commitment of the staff from the gardener to the reception, but no way it's a 4 star, First choice should open there eyes and check it out before classing it so high. (Hi to Steve and Denise our holiday buddies)

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank WiganMrEdwards
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 11 nights, all inclusive. Its as much as you need to survive and have a lovely holiday :). Petra was nice and polite and informed us of everything we needed to know when we got there. The food was fabulous there's something for everyone, the staff were lovely (especially Dennis, George and Fofi!) The room was kept clean ie. clean towels, beds made (but changed every 2 days which I didn't find a problem), ashtray emptied which I thought was a nice touch :). The hotel is situated out of the way so its quiet but its about a 5 minute walk to the main strip where there's a mixture of bars, restaurants and shops which you can pretty much get anything from. One of my favorite things from this whole holiday was going on a quad bike! as unsafe as they look, when your sat on the back its amazing! and its a lovely day out because Laganas is about 10 minutes away and you can drive to the other beaches (banana beach is a must go!) All in all, I would stay at Bitzaro palace because it made our holiday what it was:) after a tiring day out, its nice to come back somewhere where you will be watered and fed!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 341 which is at the top, and at the front of the hotel, right by the sign. I enjoy...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hope M
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

As the title says, I can't blame the hotel. Our stay was pleasant but to say that it is 4* and all inclusive is nothing short of straight up lying.

We have travelled well and have taken advantage of AI in various countries (Turkey, Dominican Egypt) and have never been disappointed with what we have recieived for our hard earned cash, until we stayed here. ASDA savers soft drinks, beer and spirits watered down, milk watered down, provision of a kettle and cups but no water or basic provisions in the room. No towel service. No air-con unless you pay for it and then it's not timed to come on until 11pm till 7am @ €55 for two weeks is extortion. €30 for the room safe. No bottled water just a water cooler in the restaurant, if you do want bottles you have to pay for them €1 per bottle or (they don't tell you this) you can get 6 bottles from the restaurant for €2.

My idea of all inclusive is that you pay the extra before you go to save money when you get there. I don't blame the hotel for this I blame the tour operator First Choice. They have forced a hotel that did not want to be AI to move that way and have allowed them to get away with this skimping to make money.

The rooms are V.basic and the bathrooms are nothing short of embarrassing. Every person that we spoke to had filthy damaged toilet seats, stained baths, cold water and one couple we spoke to had live electrical wires hanging above the shower head.

The pool area was on first impression ok but my wife and I were early rises and watched the cleaners at work around the pool. The tables were cleaned with the same cloths as the ashtrays, in the two weeks we were there the patio area around the pool was not hosed down once. Half way through our stay the pool which was usually a welcoming blue turned a murky green colour. We questioned a member of staff and was informed that the filter had been changed for a different colour and was quick to add "it's not dirty", only to turn back to the original blue 36 hours later?

We asked our rep about the cheap drinks and lack of bottled water only to be told "this is Greece"

I have no complaints with the staff, they were all pleasant and welcoming. The food was good but with a lack of choice for our liking so we eat out on several occasions again increasing the overall cost of the trip.

The beach is a good 15-20 minute walk and we are fully able bodied but is clean with excellent facilities again at a cost.

In short I am severely unimpressed with what I paid, for what I can only describe as a 3* hotel at 5* prices. I will now avoid ever going back to what was a delightful island.

2 Thank Stephen G
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

well where do i start. The reception welcome was warm and friendly, the rooms immaculate and cleaned daily including the towels. The food was fantastic all week, lots of choice and always warm and fresh. The snacks were good during the day and my little boy loved the numerous flavours of ice cream!!
Location was quiet and 10 mins to beach ( a bit dark and lonely path at night though) 15 mins to kalamaki strip with lovely restaurants and a few shops. Yamas restaurant is really good and well priced.
Pool cleaned daily and not too busy to say it was august, baby pool good. Main pool just right at shallow end , quite deep at other end but well signed.
Quiet at night, the bar was peaceful but if you wanted a change you could use the sister hotel 2 mins away. Mainly couples and you felt relaxed and safe , just a few families but no rowdiness everyone respected this lovely hotel.
We were all inclusive and all aspects were fantastic and nice to see noone abusing it!!!
Staff were all friendly. Definately want to go back and soon!!
Watch out for the mosquitos they were a bit lively.
Transfer is 10 minutes, taxi 10 euros.
A fantastic holiday at a beautiful hotel, my son lucas (5) says its the nicest holiday yet.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, all smallish but this is Greece not the Ritz!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nansue12345
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am someone who reads reviews on places before booking my holiday and when I looked at the reviews of the Bitzaro Palace it was a mixed bag, however, hopefully this review will set the record straight and go some way to help others.

My husband and I are very picky and we don't see why we should apologise for that, we have stayed at a 5* star island in the Maldives and 4* in Mauritius so when we looked this year or a cheaper, short haul holiday a Greek island was the obvious choice.

On arriving at the Bitzaro Palace the reception we received was brilliant, really friendly staff who said straight away that the restaurant was still open for lunch for another 30 minutes so leave everything in reception so don't miss out - go get something to eat.

When we got to our room we were suitably impressed, very clean and spacious (room 206) and a lovely balcony. We had paid for our air con (€30 for a week) - this isn't something we were that happy about but it is VERY common in Greece. We also had to pay for our safe (€15 for the week) which I was a bit put out about but this meets with UK insurance policies so for that reason it was fine.

We then explored the hotel and grounds - WOW, lovely pool area, was very quiet, very clean, well maintained and nicely position whether you wanted sun or shade.

Up to the supermarket next for water, only a 5 minute walk up the road, 9 litres of water for €2.60 - absolute bargain and that lasted us the week, during the day they do have a water cooler in the bar area for you to get by the cup when you want.

Now to the food - I have nothing bad to say, again my husband and I are quite picky and my husband has a delicate stomach but he loved the food. The variety was brilliant, the staff fantastic and if you wanted to pig all day you could. Breakfast 8am-10am, snacks from 10am-12pm, lunch 10.30pm-2pm, snacks from 2pm-6pm and dinner from 7pm-9pm - however you didn't need to as if you had a big breakfast you only needed a snack mid afternoon which would see you through until dinner.

The drinks are also good, they have a small selection of cocktails and of course local beer and I have seen a lot of reviews say that you couldn't get drunk on it because if was so weak, well to be honest why would you want to in the really hot sun, not a pleasant mix, but it is cool that you can enjoy the beer all day and feel fine by the end of it - quite frankly if you want to get wasted during the day don't stay here, go to Laganas !!!

A nice touch that we had never experienced before with any other hotel is that if you go on an all day trip the hotel will provide you with a packed lunch to take with you an if you do a trip where you are late back an miss dinner they provide you with dinner in your room when you return. We did a sunset cruise and when we got back at 9.30pm dinner was packaged and in our room - such a nice touch.

I could waffle on about other things but I think the above says it all, as I said we are quite picky and if I'm honest a bit snobby at times but this hotel ticked all the boxes as far as we were concerned.

If you like quiet, small places with none of the cheesy entertainment this is the place for you.

We are planning our next trip back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room as the standard are twin rooms
4 Thank Sarah W
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel after staying in the Bitzaro Grande for 6 nights instead of 7 due to Thomas Cooks flight times. The room was 40 euros which was apparently the same price as at the Bitzaro Grande but what a difference. The room we were given was horrible.

Maybe this was because the better rooms were given to those staying for a week. We still had to stay there though and pay the top rate for the room so is isn't fair at all.

The stairs leading down to the room were full of dust and cobwebs underneath, the corridors looked like something from a prison, the table on the balcony was cracked down the middle, our bed(s) was 2 single beds pushed together, the air con just seemed to go on and off on its own, the tables and bed were cheap and painted a horrible grey, the bath was splattered in a red stain which put me off standing in it, there were squashed flies on the ceiling, the toilet seat was full of marks, the inside of the toilet was brown, the TV was on the fridge, the doors were wooden so left the room dark, the sliding doors slid past where they should so I had to position them myself to avoid having a big gap on the left or right, there was no hot water at all at 3am which meant a cold shower! It was also very loud. A lot of people have said it's a quiet place to stay and this may be the case with entertainment but with people going to bed in the middle of the night, they just shout and laugh loudly and the thin walls let it all through. You can also hear people walking and moving things about in the room above. I could even hear a woman being sick in a room somewhere and flushing the toilet every few minutes!

I have never slept in a worse room. It looked and felt dirty. It's hard to believe it is the sister hotel of the Bitzaro Grande which is so clean! The only positive is the receptionist was friendly.

I have uploaded a few photos so you know what to expect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalamaki
Bitzaro Grande Hotel
#2 of 73 in Laganas
Mabely Grand Hotel
Mabely Grand Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kampi

Been to Bitzaro Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!