We stayed here for 7 nights in late Aug / early Sept and really liked it.
Anagenessis is run by a lovely, very welcoming family, in a beautiful setting in the Greek countryside with gorgeous views. The rooms are clean and a decent size, as is the pool.
The location is both an advantage and disavantage - on the plus side, it's far enough inland to be very pretty. In addition, it's only a 5 min drive into Zakinthos town, not much more to the airport (we didn't notice the planes at all), and far enough from the godawful main Kalamaki strip to forget how terrible it is. On the minus side, it's 30 mins walk to the beach, and walking is not really viable with young kids as the much of the walk is on a busy, fast road with no pavement.
For the first 2 days we got taxis to Kalamaki beach (3 min drive, 6 EUR each way) and then we hired a car for 35 EUR per day, which was a revelation - Kalamaki beach is lovely but we wanted to see more of the island, for which you really need a car. Each day we went to a different beach in Vasilikos, the peninsula to the south. It's a 20 min drive away, and just in case you're interested here were the beaches we tried, in order of preference (all were really good though, shallow and perfect for young kids).
1) Plaka - a series of small beaches next to Banana beach. Little rock pools, clear water, tranquil setting, we loved this beach and were sad we only found it on our last day
2) Yerakas - idyllic, simple, beautiful water, with nice tavernas nearby
3) Daphne - 10 mins offroad, which our little Hyundai coped with fine, the quietest beach, with lovely water and an excellent, cheap taverna
4) Agios Nikolaos - good beach, but maybe more suited to younger couples without kids. Having said that, clear, shallow water and good watersports
As for restaurants, we really liked Michaelos (really good food at very reasonable price - the grilled seabream is 60% of the price of the main strip and was excellent - book though if you plan to get there after 8.30, there were big queues both times we went). The one night we ventured to the Strip, we went to Zakanthi where we had a very poor meal. We also went twice to Rakomelodica on Leonidas Street in Zakinthos Town, a side street just off the main square - very friendly people and the food was authentic, cheap and delicious.
So, all in all, Zakinthos Island is relaxing and beautiful, and Anagenessis is too.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Bookgreece.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Anagenessis Village Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anagenessis Village Hotel Zakynthos/Kalamaki