“Fantastic”
Review of John & Joy Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalamaki
John & Joy Hotel
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week mid September 2013. The title of my review says it all. It was fantastic. Rooms small & basic,but clean. Breakfast again was basic, but it did the job.The pool area was clean,spacious & with lovely views all around. A small private path lead from the pool directly to the beach in a couple of minutes. Stayed for dinner here 3 nights, each meal we had was superb & excellent value for money. The location was faultless. At the end of the road leading onto the beach,so no cars or annoying mopeds zooming past at all times of the day & night. And, the best till last - Micheal. What a lovely lovely man,the perfect host! He made us feel so welcolme & treated us like old friends.
We met up with a fantastic crowd who had been going there for years & years,this in itself says it all about a truly special place.
But shush,don't tell everyone,we don't want to spoil a good thing now do we?
Roll on next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank annenjohn

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had a lovely relaxing 10 night stay at this hotel. Michael the host is very welcoming and friendly. The hotel rooms are very basic but kept clean and towels and bedding changed on a regular basis. The position of this hotel is excellent so close to the beach and only a short walk to the Kalamaki strip. The breakfast was very basic as we expected, however I was disappointed as no cereal was available. We had lunch here most days and were never disappointed, a good selection of dishes on the menu. We were in a room facing the road but we also had a sea view. The pool was lovely and the sun beds very comfortable with far reaching views of the sea.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen A
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We all had a wonderful stay here,
the location could not be any better, our room was facing the sea, with a comfy bed and amazing views from the balcony, air con worked well, so we could sleep at night, and was kept very clean, every day. I did not put this up last year, as the Hotel was not on tripadvisor then, I found it when
looking for Hotels in Kalamaki, as it is our fave beach on the Island, and this Hotel is the closest.
The owner, Michael is very friendly and helpful, it is a small Hotel and he cares about the small things that matter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sue S
Wigan
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for a week in May along with friends who are regulars there. We were made really welcome by Michael, the owner, and all the staff were lovely and friendly as well. The hotel in a good quiet location near the beach and has a nice raised pool area. The rooms are basic greek style with nice balconies and are kept spotlessly clean with frequent sheet & towel changes - excellent value for money. Thanks Michael for a great stay - we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Dear All, seriously I have battled with myself putting this review up as I am torn between keeping it to myself and sharing how good it is. Seriously is the best hotel in Kalamaki. It's 200 m from the beach, has a lovely swimming pool and a fabulous sunbathing area with comfy sunbed cushions amazing views from the rooms over the bay sunset and sunrise, mossie screens on the windows. it's quiet at night so you can fall asleep listening to the sea, yet close enough to walk up to all the restaurants etc in the village. And it's dark at night because there are no other hotels around so ideal for stargazing.

I have stayed here a couple of times now and each time I love it more. It's ideal for me when I travel solo or with friends. It feels very safe. The host Michael is a warm and welcoming and generous host. The hotel itself needs a bit of updating but that doesnt bother me in the slightest, in fact it adds to the appeal. The rooms are super clean, lovely fresh white sheets, cleaned every day. In the evening I had to run the water for a while to get the hot stuff coming through for a shower, really not a big deal.

I went independantly the last couple of times because I wanted to stay here. In my opinion it's the best hotel in Kalamki for location, value for money and feeling welcomed. Anywhere else it would be four times the price because of the views and the closeness to the beach. If you can get good flights it's really worth trying it out.

There is a little shop on the road beside it which is enough for all your daily snack requirements and the shops are a ten minute walk up the road.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tandiweLondon
Yorkshire, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed at John and Joy's for a week at the end of august after reading about it on Tripadvisor - the hotel and staff lived up to everyone's great comments and I'm considering going back for 4 weeks next summer! It is a 10 minute walk to Kalamaki new Main road, and if you go the back way (right turn after Iguana Bar) approx 20-30 minute walk to Zepo's and Kalamaki Old Road.

I arrived at 5am (got ma timings wrong!)... Michael appeared at 6am and showed me straight to my room. He was so lovely and apologetic - even though it was my fault I was early!

Even though I was a solo traveller and had booked/was paying for a single room, there were 2 single beds (I had asked for an upper floor with sea view if possible) the view was great (see pics). The only negative I have is a very very tiny one and it's that the shower did not have a hook on it to be hooked onto the wall - nothing major but thought I'd mention just so you know - not sure if all bathrooms are like this...

The breakfast was from 8am to 10am and consisted of bread, jam and honey, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, juice and coffee. Very nice.

The pool area is lovely and clean and the loungers plentiful and comfy - although beware: the pool is very deep at the deep end, at least 10ft maybe ?!

It was a full moon whilst I was in Kalamaki and a few times, as the beach was only 50m or so from the hotel, I went and sat on a rocky bit (not on the beach: turtles!) with wine and a friend just chatting: it was so lovely, the sea, the moon, the lights twinkling over in Laganas... Oh to be back there now!

Michael was always about in the morning and evening, always said hello and asked how I was and called me a taxi if needed. I even had to ask him to fasten a bracelet for me as I couldn't do it! Bless... nothing was too much for him. He even let me borrow a lilo for the beach, save me buying one!

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I had a great week!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank bikerbird772
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Owner (micaolos) is lovely! Can't do Anough to help you.. Is a true Greek family run hotel :)

• Stayed June 2011