“roomy, nice and quiet.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Tlaquepaque
Los Angeles, California
“roomy, nice and quiet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

however, not recommend the restaurant. they are nice but so slow and taste below average. Flavor is like old days... view is great and quiet. Bathroom and old room are little creepy at night but beautiful during the sunset time. i come to Guadalajara for my business but usually i didn't get a good experience at the hotel. So instead of looking others in same price point,i 'd to come back here again. Just take a taxi to eat.

Room Tip: make sure wi-fi and shower works first.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I just came back from staying 2 nights at this place. The property itself is beautiful and the views from te rooms are very nice.
However the experience is another story. The signal up there is really low or non existing. The front desk even had problems charging the credit cards since the terminal couldn't get a signal. I ended up paying in cash, fortunately there was an atm right next to the front desk.
I couldn't use my celphone in my room and could not connect to my own internet. There was also suppose to have wifi and that didn't work either.
The rooms are spacious and comfy. However the bathrooms are dangerous, you have to be very careful to getting in and out.
Once we had dinner at the restaurant and it was good but pricey. We also had the sunday brunch and it was average, quesadillas were very good but some other things were cold and poor quality.
Saturday we went to the Memories discotheque and I had very high expectations but left dissappointed, nice place but they failed at keeping people entertained and dancing.
The staff is friendly, but the people at the main front gate are kind of slow.
It was nice to experience the property but I don't think I'd stay there again.
I booked directly from the hotel website. Once I was there I found out that you can book the hotel trough Expedia at a cheaper rate. Take that in mind if you need to book this place.

• Stayed March 2014
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Spent two nights there. The location is splendid and the pool really inviting. Breakfast buffet was great.
The rooms are getting really old though, and the bathrooms are getting creepy... on the second night we didn't even have any hot water. Wifi only barely worked in a specific area near the reception.
Service is really below average for a place in that price range though. They barely understand English, seem to be puzzled when presented with online reservations, and attempts to organize a pickup from the airport by phone were impossible.
All in all, it's a bit of waste of a great atmosphere, and a tad too pricey for its quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank yff S
Sun City, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Although the staff is extremely accomodating the rooms are left over from the hotels heydays. Even with the nice size of the rooms, they are drab and the bedspreads look as though the have had them since at least the early '50's. The wiring was rigged and the bathrooms need to be gutted and renovated.
It has a beautiful pool with a swim up bar - bar only open on weekends. No wireless internet. This place is also not handicap friendly.
The hotel sits high on top of a hill with nice views. When you come down from the hill you are not in an area that is tourist friendly.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank JeanneKB

Travelers are raving about these Tlaquepaque hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Our "history" with this hotel goes back to the late 90's when it was a respected resort hotel. Granted we booked it for one night since it offered a convenient location to get to the airport for a morning flight. I had booked a deluxe room (described as being poolside or overlooking the pool). When checking in, the so-called front desk manager acted like he assigned us such a room but we were taken to a standard room. When we questioned it upon a return trip to the front desk, we were told all the deluxe rooms were out of service due to water problems. While we requested a monetary offset, we were told only the hotel manager could approve. Back to the room to find out that the TV and WIFI were both out of service. Another hike to the front desk resulted in the admission that he knew both were out and after discussions about leaving for another hotel, a change of rooms and a $200MXN food credit was agreed upon. The second room had a working TV but still no WIFI. We had dinner in the "gourmet restaurant" and the food presentation there has also gone downhill through the years.

As mentioned above, this formerly was considered to be a Mexican 5 star resort and I am not sure we would even rate it 1 star these days. They have lost any chance of future bookings from us!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Neil C
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just got back from Guadalajara 10/12/13 , I was not to happy with the rooms, first of all fake advertisement on the net. Rooms are ok not awesome like they show on their webpage.
Blankets smell, bathrooms are really nasty, Old Rusty Dirty and not very pleasant to shower in, I actually wore my sandals while in the shower,thank God I was not on my honeymoon,because it really kind of grossed me out.Another thing the television were Old like 70`s.
Not good reception at all.Staff is nice ,however very disappointed that I was . Not able to pay with my American money, that sucked ,I really think the new manager as they call him a "El Capitan"
Needs to loosen up a little and consider taking our American dollars,remodel the rooms,and make sure bathrooms and blankets are clean and smelling good.Also transportation they need to upgrade, the so call shuttle it's a small little Bucket that only fits like 4 passengers, and I actually thought we were not gonna make it to the Airport, it seemed like the car was gonna breakdown, No
Air conditioning,No Radio, very very uncomfortable.
Maybe u need to update your webpage and actually place recent pictures of ur Hotel. And u should also mention " No American Dollars only Pesos or Credit Cards accepted" that way we are prepared and staff doesn't have to go trw 15 people just for me to pay a $35 dollar check.
Staff was great and did the best they could to make my stay comfortable..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lilly m
PV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Before I turn negative let me say the elevated location provides nice vistas, the grounds are well kept and the pool looked clean and inviting.
However......... the advertised wifi did not exist. I was told to use the business center if I really needed wifi. Wait, you are the ones who advertise there is wifi in the rooms. Well, they said, some rooms have a stronger signal than others. There was no signal at all in ours nor at the restaurant which is adjacent to the business center. So that made the long 3 prong extension cord I always travel with as not necessary. Many hotels have very inconvenient outlet placement thus the reason I travel with the extension cord. Well our room had exactly 2 outlets total and they were very poorly located and both were only 2 prong! No grounded outlets in this day and age, really?? Our cell phones had to be plugged into the outlet on the patio and left there overnight to charge. Speaking of the restaurant, I would give the food a 4 and the service a 3, on a 1 to 10 scale. The waiters never asked if you wanted more coffee, they tried to shoo us away from the omelet station (probably because the woman making omelets didn't know what she was doing) and one waiter even had the nerve to point to the "propina" line on the bill and say 3 times "teep, teep, teep". A had a few tips in mind for him but I held my tongue. The crowning blows happened on our second and third nights. Upon returning to our room around 10:00 our electronic key did not work. Off to the front desk and they apologized and said some new clerk must have made a mistake. You guessed it, the very same thing happened the next night with another lame excuse given. We have never been so happy to leave a hotel the next day and unless these things are of no interest to you I would advise steering clear of this once proud relic of a hotel. Also you must have a car to go to any other restaurant and the traffic to get back to the hotel was incredible, even late at night.

Room Tip: We were told by the bellman we had one of the best rooms in the hotel. It was second floor of the 70...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Walter S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tlaquepaque
La Villa del Ensueno Hotel
Casa Armonia
#5 of 11 in Tlaquepaque
Quinta Don Jose Boutique Hotel
City Express Guadalajara Aeropuerto

Been to Hotel El Tapatio & Resort? Share your experiences!