“Hilltop Oasis”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Tlaquepaque
San Francisco, California
“Hilltop Oasis”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you need just one night at a hotel close to the airport in Guadalajara, you might choose this one. It is situated on a hilltop, far above the noisy and dirty traffic near the airport. You won't hear planes overhead. The hotel was built in the 1970's in the style of a fabulous Acapulco resort - pool, palapa, pool bar, 2 restaurants, tropical grounds. However, those glory days have faded, and so has the service. The rooms are still a good value, but waiting 20 minutes for a cerveza and 50 minutes for cerviche was testing our patience. After that, I was wondering if they would show up for my 4:30am airport shuttle - but they did! Make sure you ask for air conditioning! Many rooms are remote and may not have it, we had a hot sticky night. Make sure to try the tortilla soup in the restaurant - it was so delicious!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank claygourmet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here to be relatively close to the airport for an early flight. They provide free shuttle service and were very on top making sure I got to the airport at the necessary time (4:30am!)

The place is on a hill with a panoramic view of Guadalajara. Everything is green and pleasant. Nice pool area, friendly staff. It's not extremely convenient to the main attractions of the city though it's isn't a great distance either. A very nice respite in the midst of the big city.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Dcrosen
Monterey Park, California
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked a a prepaid reservation through Orbitz, however the front desk said I only made a reservation and that my room wasn't charged yet. Since I had been traveling all over Mexico, I did not have a printed copy of my confirmation. The front desk personnel charged my credit card. I checked my bank account and found that I had been charged twice. I asked to get the issue resolved as soon as possible since I was leaving the country the next day. The front desk personnel was not apologetic and gave me the runaround about cancelling the charges. It's been a couple days and no money was refunded. Please beware.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mang028

Travelers are raving about these Tlaquepaque hotels

Monroe
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at the El Tapatio on a three day business trip. Although the hotel is dated, it is very comfortable and clean, with large rooms, great breakfast, and a friendly and helpful staff. The view is spectacular, and I really enjoyed working on my private patio with a view over the city. I was looking for a hotel with some local charm, and I found it here. I would stay again on my next visit to Guadalajara.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Carl C
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel previously. It is always a pleasure to return to. It is close to the airport and close to many great restaurants and attractions. It is on a hilltop with a great view in all directions of the city. It is very open and spacious with large grassy areas.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank hytecher09
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel itself is very old... and it shows in all of the installations - rooms, conference halls, common areas, restaurant. However some of that age has its charm - in the lobby for example. The rooms however, are anything but charming (standard room) they have an old ugly carpeting in the sleeping area, and the Head boards of the beds are cover in ugly vinyl/plastic material... They can do much better.
As another reviewer said that the WIFI signal strength is poor and I had the same experience. In the room I had NO access at all, only in the common areas could I get some signal. I called the reception about 5 times to help me with the issue, each time they said they would try and nothing changed. This is really dissapointing since they advertise "Free WIFI in all rooms" ... They just never mention it won't work.
Lastly, the service at the lounge/bar club was horrendous, as an overnight guest you have free access - so I went in to see how the place was. The doorman was following me the entire time inside, and said if I didn't have a table to sit at I was asked to leave. I got mad and told him I want to speak to his manager, and also made him very aware that I was a guest at the hotel and that he was ridiculous with his request - I must have been there for only 5 minutes. I didn't want to stay any longer and went to the management to complain. I was given the name
Martin Garcia as the General Manager and will file a complaint with him.
The staff at the club/lounge needs to be educated or changed out.
I would *not* reccomend this hotel based on my experience.

Room Tip: Don't count on having WIFI, and there are quite a bit of ants on the property in the "700...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bigjuble
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was our second stay at the hotel. We actually had no reason for staying there other than I simply wanted to go back to that tranquil atmosphere and gorgeous view, at least for one day and night. The rooms have the typical old Mexican style tile floors and are as spacious as you can imagine, our balcony was a plus. The staff could be friendlier and more accommodating, but once you ask for the manager things run every so smoothly. Breakfast is always a chance to savor the very Mexican menu. I loved the chilaquiles, OMG, to die for! Unfortunately, the pool was being cleaned and sanitized so we could not use it. We spoke at length with the head of the restaurant staff. He was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. He took us by the pool and overlooking the city, explained to us where everything was. We were very glad he did as we had a totally wrong concept of where Tonalá was as opposed to Tlaquepaque and downtown Guadalajara. It was truly a great experience to have requested his help. He gave us tips as to where to go and how to get there. He mentioned there was live music on Sundays during the Sunday brunch, which we were unable to attend. Once again, El Tapatío is a place to be remembered!
If you are reading this review, please give a thumbs up, it is important to know that the reviews are helpful. Thank you.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for the rooms overlooking the pool (when it is open). They cost a bit more but if...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple