“Great spot to relax and shop.”

Hotel El Tapatio & Resort
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Tlaquepaque
Pasco, Washington
“Great spot to relax and shop.”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Convenient to the Airport, Tlalajepaque, Tonala'. It is 40 years old and has some age/maintenance issues but very charming with large rooms and great views. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
South Gate, California
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I loved our stay and the staff was very accomodating. I read the other reviews before traveling and got a bit nervous. But I was pleasantly surprised! The room was super spacious and clean. Yes, the furniture is a bit dated but kept in good condition. The shower temp and pressure were fine. It is Mexico so they have Mexican mattresses which are much firmer than US ones but I like it. The AC worked perfectly I had no bug problem. Yes, the pool was under repair but other than that all the other amenities were open a little shop where I bought Mexican Vogue and Elle and some yummy salty snacks one bar and two restuarants. It is on a hill overlooking the surrounding towns and the road up and down was cobblestone so it was a bit bumpy but it was relaxing being away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Guadalajara. However next time because my yearly trip is for work and I travel to historic Tlaquepaque each day I will stay closer it in one of the B&B's.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Vanessa2381
Longview, Texas
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Breakfast was amazing - mexican cuisine. View of the city was truly amazing morning and night. Pool waiter was less than friendly but the rest of the staff was wonderful.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Once was enough. We did a couple of day visit to Guadalajara and needed a "central" location which this certainly was. The reception staff were very helpfull BUT the building and rooms are in desperate need of a MAJOR upgrade. The bath still had the original aluminum shower doors which were totally pitted , off the tracks and full of silicon and mold with numerous tiles missing. The room was basiclly well laid out but man did it need a renovation. The pool was shut down ( it looked like for months) for repairs and we were not aware of any gym or other facilities. We only needed the Hotel for a short stay and the price was fair. At most we would rate this as a 3 star even by Mexican standards. If you are looking for a cheap hotel just outside of the downtown area and don't mind age go for it. I would suggest that yu really negotiate the room rate however...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bothearlyretirement

Travelers are raving about these Tlaquepaque hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Apparently this used to be one of the best hotels in Guadalajara, many years ago. Since then, international hotel groups have moved in with international standards, while the 'El Tapatio' had decayed into shabbiness and dirt. Our room was awful, old installations and furniture just give the impression of uncleanliness, especially in the bathroom. A swimming pool with dirt marks around the edges and many tiles missing. A play area for kids with old and dangerous equipment. Then the restaurant...they gave us a bill for half of what we actually consumed, and demanded the rest anyway....gee, wonder what was going on there!! Needless to say we demanded a complete bill, and did not leave a tip as the service was shocking. We had to wait in our room half an hour for the manager to come and open the room safe for us. We eventually had to go and get him from reception. Thankfully we were only there for one night.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JamesNol
SanDiego
Reviewed December 20, 2008

LOCATION: The hotel is located outside the city, close to the airport. I was worried we'd spend a lot of money on taxi's but the hotel offers a shuttle service, upon reserservation, to either downtown, Tonala, Tlaquepaque or the airport. We'd just take a bus back to the hotel for 5 pesos and cross the pedestrian bridge to the hotel.

ROOM: At first we stayed in the same standard room (#777) that another of the people that wrote a review stayed in. The room smelled bad, the bedspread/furniture/carpet was very worn and the tub still didn't drain properly (ha ha ha). However we then moved to a deluxe room and it was much better. The room was clean, comfortable and located in front of the pool.

POOL: Very big but cold and had a lot of debris in it from the trees. Missing floor tiles.

BREAKFAST: Complimentary breakfast was good but I recommend upgrading to the buffet. I loved the mexican hot chocolate.

ROOM SERVICE: Took forever to arrive. On weekends when their staff is busy hosting events, then don't come at all.

• Liked — Breakfast/Comfortable bed/Good Showerhead
  • Disliked — Location & the snake-like drive up to the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GDL2008
Barcelona
Reviewed October 7, 2008

The hotel is nice, not really up to date but nice located(If you dont mind to take a cab every time you want to leave the hotel) and has some charme because it was build like a hazienda but the service is terrible for 100 Dollar a night.

I arrived and they did not have my reservation. Anyway. I got a nice and big room with a awesome balcony with a view to a lovely garden. Internet connection is poor and there was no remote control for the TV. They promised to deliver it, well took hours and I had to asked 3 times.

When I wanted to go to bed I found a big BUG!!! in the middle of the bed. I called the maid, she told me she did not know since when my room has been occupied the last time. They only wanted to grab the bug with a paper and I should sleep there. I insisted that the maid had to make my bed again. They did but not happily, no excuse at all.
If I would not have arrived after 20 hours of travel I had changed the hotel the same night. Never again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank carpricho