“Kalanggaman Island - Leyte's Hidden Gem”
Review of Kalanggaman Islet

Kalanggaman Islet
Reviewed August 24, 2013

A 2-hour boat ride from Malapascua Island, Kalanggaman Island is considered as Leyte’s hidden gem. It is located in Palompon, one of the municipalities in Leyte. It is most famous for its long white sand bar, stretching on both sides of the island. Since 2009, it is declared as one of the marine sanctuary in the Philippines, so some police team are monitoring the island. Its name came from "langgam", a Cebuano term for “birds”. - See more at: http://adellepauline.tumblr.com/post/58811223821/kalanggaman-island

3  Thank adellepauline

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Not many 2-raknk dives on offer on Malapasqua but this is one of them, 45 mins away by boat. WE went on a beautiful day but were dismayed to find lots of other boats there, including several dive boats. THe others were day trip boats of local tourist who come to swim and picnic in (one family had a WHOLE pig for lunch!) but sadly leave their rubbish. Clean loos with DIY flushing, effective though. the two dives were pretty, lovely fan corals and a pygmy seahorse, some nudibranchs, but like the rest of this area very few fish more than a few cm long. All dynamited and gone...despite this island being a marine reserve...if the government is serious about tourism, which can bring more wealth to the locals than fishing, it had better get its act together, as soon there will be neither fish nor tourists.

2  Thank Vicky U
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I fully enjoyed the long sandbar! It was a pity they no longer allow anyone to swim beyond some point in the sandbar, I understand the risk though. It's a good spot for taking pictures, sunbathing and just basically beach bumming.
It's decent enough place to snorkel, a lot of corals and colorful fishes. I joined a group when I was there and I plan to be back here someday with friends, this is a perfect place to camp out!!
I think the fees are too steep for non-Filipino tourists though, 500 php is quite high for a day trip. For Filpinos outside Palompon, it's 150 php.

I love this place. Very serene, beautiful turquoise water, I imagine this place to be perfect for stargazing as well.
If you are looking for a quiet, lovely beach, this island is for you.

2  Thank Hkcg
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Kalanggaman Island is picture-perfect for me. The long sandbars. The fact that you will not be seeing any nearby mountains that indicate civilization. Calm and quiet.

Important things to know before going: (we came from Tacloban City)
1. Call the Eco-Tourism Office of Palompon beforehand and schedule your trip to Kalanggaman Island.
2. If you are not planning to spend overnight in Kalanggaman Island, schedule an early morning trip. The van going back to Tacloban from Palompon leaves at 12noon. The van going to Ormoc leaves at 3-4pm. After these times, we were told the next ones will be at dawn the next day.
3. Van ride from Tacloban to Palompon is around 3 hours. 1 hour to go to the island on a regular pump boat.
4. Bring your own water for drinking and/or bathing. There's a CR and a dressing cum shower room but the water coming out is salt water. The Tourism Office allowed us to take a bath at their office when we got back from the island. Be considerate in using their bathroom.
5. Don't litter on the island. Follow the Tourism Office's request to segregate your trash. They will give you two trash bags for that. Take these with you when you go back.

There is a warning sign though at the start of the sandbar about rip currents. That day, we did see strong waves splashing on the shore at the right side of the island seemed to be treated as the "front", if you are standing facing the long sandbar where your boat is docked. The water was calmer on the left side near the boats but really good to be careful anyways. The "back" of the island is rocky.

Kalanggaman Island has a barbecue area for everyone to cook food in. A dressing room with running salt water and two cubicles for toilets. A big nipa hut stands in the middle of the island where the tourist police and caretakers are posted. There's a small store that sells drinks. Tables and chairs are available for rent. There are also open cottages for rent and you can bring your own tents. Since we will just be staying for only a few hours, we only rented a monoblock table and 4 chairs. The table costs Php30 and it's Php10 per chair.

Once we were on the boat back, that's when we really felt some big waves. Like my butt was bouncing off the seat (All 4 of us were seating in the middle of the boat but I was near the boat's front part). I could see the boat's nose go up and down. It was like that for maybe, 45 mins or 50. I am not sure if this is the case most of the time since it can also be credited to the fact that rainy season has begun in the area.

So brace yourself and make sure your things are wrapped in plastic and are secured on the boat. The lady from the Eco-Tourism Office did assure me that before Tourism came to Palompon, the boatmen from their office are former fishermen. They know their stuff well and are used to the waves.

It's a great place to have pictures taken and bum around. I enjoyed our visit there.

16  Thank Jinky G
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Before I start my review, I would like to stress out that this Island belongs to Palompon, Leyte although you can reach the island via Malapascua, Cebu.

I was intrigued with the island and its famous sandbar so I decided to schedule a travel plan to visit it. I actually planned to go there by myself but decided to bring a friend to share with the expenses. The trip was one of those "spur-of-the-moment" plan but it was worth it. We don;t know that much about the Island except that there is no electricity and no supply of water and we have to bring camping gears.

The island is stunning and beautiful. It is one-of-a kid in the Philippines and actually my first time to walk a sand bar that long and marvelous. The sand is not as powder as boracay but it is white and the water is clear and warm. Traveling to the island is also a pleasant experience for I was able to watch a group of Dolphins swimming and playing. According to the boat driver, it is a rare scenery so we got lucky.

I suggest for those who plans to visit the island to camp and stay overnight and try swimming during the night time and also to watch the moon.

I wouldn't advice to stay in the island for more than 2 days since there is no water supply and not much of activities to do.

5  Thank Emmanuel D