“Great Dive Outfit Par Excellence”

Malapascua Exotic Diving Center
Ranked #8 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Malapascua Exotic Island Dive Resort Dive with the original Thresher shark divers and local dive guide experts. Here we can find you pygmy seahorses, blue ringed octopus, flamboyant cuttlefish etc! We are the only 5* IDC National Geographic resort. With IDCs and Divemaster Internships running year round. Offering PADI courses from beginner to Pro including Nitrox. With a relaxed 4 spots a day schedule. You set your own pace and intensity for diving with Exotic.Welcome to paradise!
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I was back on my 8th trip to Malapascua (and 8th stay with Exotic) over 4 years, this time with a group of 8 of us. For 6 out of the 8, this was their first dive trip in The Philippines. Everyone had a great time and left with nothing but great memories, smiles and praise for Exotic's dive ops. We checked off all that we wanted on our to-view-underwater list:

1) Thresher Sharks
2) Rays (Devil)
3) Hammerheads!!! (Though we didn't get to see the school, I'm not blaming it on anyone :))
4) More sharks at Gato
5) For 2 of us with cameras, plenty of weird, cool critters spotted by the eagle-eyed DMs.

We had the Uncle and Nephew team of Ervin and Ronel guiding our group and arranging our trips and were assigned a boat for our group's usage during our 5 days of diving. This rendered our setting off time very, very efficient and we were usually 1 of the first boats setting off from Exotic to Monad and Kemod :D Ervin and Ronel are good spotters, responsible, mature and with many years of experience behind them (though Ronel's youthful face would belie that). Important qualities to have when 6 out of the 8 are newly-certified AOWD or very infrequent divers.

We also had Local Instructor Renelo Rosales (cousin to Ronel and nephew of Ervin) conduct a refresher for one of our divers whose last dive was in 2009 during her AOWD course. After that session, no one could tell how long it had been since her last dive. Testimony to Rey's thorough refresher and mucho patience :)

The boats are well maintained, clean and equipped with fresh water for drinking and hot water with instant coffee mix if required. Fresh towels can be gotten at the Reception, issued on a 1/day/pax basis. If you're setting out for the dawn dive the next morning, you'd be well advised to get your towel the evening before, as the Reception, understandably, isn't open at 4am in the morning ;) If you're out on a day trip, packed lunches can be ordered the evening before, along with drinks. I love my Club Sandwich and the freshly sliced fruits on such days.

The boat captain and boys were very diligent in gearing up for us, changing tanks and assisting us into our set-up, right down to donning and fin removal for those that require! My group was thoroughly pampered! Decent, well maintained rental equipment was provided for those that required.

Joa and Becca who manage the dive shop always do so with utmost Swedish professionalism and are well liked by the local chaps that work under them. They do care for the environment and will enforce the guidelines when it comes to marine life, but do so reasonably and not overzealously (as I've encountered elsewhere diving in SEA). They're very approachable, take their work very seriously (but not inflexibly and without humour) and are always polite. Should you have problems, I'd suggest going to them straight away or during your trip to resolve the issue, rather than complaining about it after. That doesn't solve anything. As could be experienced at other dive resorts in SEA, some Caucasian owners/managers are wont to treat Asian divers with less professionalism, but we have never gotten that from J & B. Just smiles and great service all round from them and the locals.

Exotic is by no means the cheapest when it comes to dive prices, but for the efficiency, great maintenance of equipment (right down to the compressors and good air quality in the tanks) and number of people employed to see to that, it is not unreasonably priced. You could also avail yourself to the dive packages to get lower per dive rates. There's no compromising on safety for cheap for me.

Will we be back again? I've already made another group booking for April 2015 ;)

2  Thank AudrisTan

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My friend(Shing) and I(Toby) stayed at Malapascua Exotic resort from 12/03/2014 to 16/3/2014(Room 17). We chose “Exotic” because it “was” famous for good dive shop, good diving planning and nice DMs. We paid higher room charges and expensive diving package to Exotic when compared with other resorts in Malapascua. Therefore, we expected a very professional diving services provided by Exotic!!!!

I had experiences and expectation that the manager(especially foreigner) in dive shop will be very nice to his guest and very keen to say “HI” to everyone. The PADI instructor/manager(dutch male) in boat presented to us very bad impression. He would never say “Hi” to us and even have any eye contact at any time of whole day. It is OK to us for his “cool”. What we felt angry and unacceptable totally happened after the last dive of our whole trip. He came to our side and complained what we done wrongly in the sea and then WE said “sorry” about it. However, he showed “HAND SIGNALS OF FOUL LANGUAGE” with his “TWO HANDS” as RETURNS. It made us feeling very unhappy and his behaviour destroyed the elegance of PADI instructor.

4  Thank tobyc428
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I got my DM licence there, very professional and freinadly instructor, even my English is poor, they still have patient with me. And the sea view is awesome! So many thresher sharks. Almost 100% you can visit this amazing creature. Very good food!

1  Thank JayHuang2014
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had a 100% encounter of the thresher sharks, we went there 4 mornings in the row and saw them all four dives, it was a phenomenal experience, a few came very close.
The resort was nice, the set up was very convenient, our divemaster Pusoy was excellent in spotting out critters for us. Our room was spacious and clean. The water pressure was not that great and the hot water was more luke warm than hot. but being on an island it was good. My only complain about the resort is that is does not offer complimentary drinking water for the guests. They have water on the boat only. The cost for refilling our water was surprisingly expensive.

1  Thank alohabic
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I've had a marvelous time here.
Great dives, accomodation and food.
Serviceminded and skilled crew.
Thank's for a great week.