Angelina Beach
Malapascua Legend(Malapascua Island)
$65
$61
  • Breakfast included
Tepanee Beach Resort(Malapascua Island)
$59
$56
  • Restaurant
Malapascua Starlight Resort(Malapascua Island)
$32
Blue Corals Beach Resort(Malapascua Island)
$40
$25
  • Beachfront
Slam's Garden Resort(Malapascua Island)(Great Value!)
$24
$52
$55
$51
  • Beachfront
Hippocampus Beach Resort(Malapascua Island)
$50
$43
  • Breakfast included
Buena Vida Resort & Spa(Malapascua Island)
$91
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgelatobalcony overlooking the beachgnocchihot and cold wateritalian couplethe air conditioningitalian foodthe ownerriccardochihuahuadryertvaccommodationasiamalapascuatepaneeisland
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I initially contacted Angelina - Malapascua via e-mail in September 2013 for our January 27 - 30, 2014 vacation, and Ranjie responded to me within a few hours. I already saw the pictures of the rooms online and I was surprised with the room rate given to me. For the "Pina" Room (named after Angelina's Chihuahua), the rate is Php2,700/night for 1-2 persons. That is an average of $60 - $65/night depending on the foreign exchange rate. Not bad at all!

Here is my review of our entire stay at Angelina:
(note the foreign exchange rate of US$1.00 = Php45.00)

Airport Transfer:
Cost of airport transfer that I have arranged with Angelina is Php8,000 (approx. $178) for 2 persons which includes pick-up to and from the Cebu Mactan International Airport to Maya Pier and round trip boat transfer from Maya Pier to Malapascua. Please note that when you get to Malapascua, you have to transfer to a smaller boat to get to the shore. This only costs Php20 (approx. $0.45) per person. The travel time from the airport to Maya Pier is about 3 hours depending on the traffic. The boat ride is 30 - 45 minutes.

What is great about the people is that the boatmen carry your bags for you up to your room. We gave them a tip of Php100 (approx. $2) per person.

Reception:
We arrived at Angelina - Malapascua at around 10:00 am. We were welcomed by Nadeth. Our room was readily available and need not wait. Angelina's Front Desk is located inside the restaurant. Also, please note that Tepanee and Angelina share the same stairs/walkway to their rooms. Tepanee's Front Desk is right by the left side of the stairs so take note that they are not Angelina's Front Desk.

Room:
The Pina Room has a queen size bed, a single bed with pull-out bed. The room also has a mini fridge and electric hot water pot with cups, coffee sachets, creamer and sugar. They have a terrace with an ocean view, large bamboo chairs and tables, and a bamboo hanging rack to dry your clothes. One comment that I have about the room is that the floor is very squeaky.

Angelina's restaurant was located right below our room. Though we can hear the noise, it didn't bother us. The sound of the trees, the sea and the breeze are what you will appreciate more than anything.

Bathroom:
One full bath with shower, hot water, hair dryer and a good supply of toilet paper and towels changed everyday.

Staff:
Ranjie and Nadeth are very accommodating, courteous and always have a smiling face. I didn't get the names of the other staff members that helped us but everyone was very helpful and kind. Angelina, the owner, was very nice. She interacted with us while we dined at her restaurant. She has a bunch of Chihuahuas.

Additional comment:
Angelina - Malapascua is located at Angelina Beach which is a 3 - 5 minute walk to most dive centers which are located at Bounty Beach. I am not sure if that is the reason for their inexpensive rate. Nevertheless, with the type of accommodation we have received and the kind of customer service we have received, I strongly recommend staying at Angelina.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank sideout015
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Back a few days ago from an incredible six days on Malapascua. I had decided I couldn't sit on the sidelines without helping in person, and Silvia at Tepanee encouraged me to come and said she'd have a room for me. Best decision I've taken in a very long time.

Most evenings I ended up at Angelina's, not only because it's the best food I experienced on the island (though Tepanee's cafe is also very good, and the spring rolls at Exotic are to die for), but also because it's probably the main hub, currently, of social activity on the island (Exotic was the only other resort that had a restaurant with this much activity, post-typhoon). The reason was clear to me - Angela and Ricardo, the owners, are such warm, friendly and generous people, that they attract good people like a light bulb attracts moths. This was by far the best place to get a sense of who was doing what in terms of relief initiatives, what the main needs still were, etc.

In terms of food, the pizzas were spectacular, the mixed seafood grill very tasty and generous in volume, and four-cheese gnocchi were delightful. I still don't understand how the wine can be better kept here than in most restaurants in Manila, but its quality was splendid.

I did stay in Angelina's rooms, but saw one of them. It was, by some margin, the loveliest hotel room I saw on the island, with a lovely view on the bay, and about 20 steps from the water.

Many people worried that tourism would take a serious downturn, for an unknown period of time. That would be a great shame, because this is exactly when Malapascua needs visitors the most, so the revenue generated can be used for reconstruction.

Luckily, the Thresher Sharks are still at their sites, and other deep dives are also intact. The amazingly white and long Bounty Beach is as gorgeous to swim on as ever, and resorts and diveshops along it are slowly getting back to working order. Places like Exotic and Evolution have been diving for a week already, most of the others expected to re-open by mid-December.

Basically, Malapascua is still a great place to come diving and hang out on the beach. The added attraction should be that now your presence is more important than ever, as many tourists have cancelled, imagining that there are riots and dead bodies around... In reality, though 99% of the population lost their roofs in the typhoon, about the same proportion, 6 days later, were already walking around calmly with huge smiles on their faces. These resilient people are so relax and joyful, they have an awful lot to teach all of us - this may well be the best souvenir you will bring back home.

For those of you who like to get involved, there are lots of relief initiatives on the island. My favourite is Anna Reed (contact her via Facebook), who is setting up "Rebuild Malapascua", rebuild islanders' houses and set up a badly needed medical clinic. Other good initiatives include projects through Divelink (ask for Anna Aposa or Gary Cases), who have projects to rebuild the school, and also to increase awareness of the importance of protecting the sharks and the reefs.

Please go to Malapascua, it's a trip you won't regret, and will never forget.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank drluc2000
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our stay at Angelina's in March for 4 nights was absolutely superb. The Caruso room was beautiful, large and roomy, modern, well designed with a very nice, clean bathroom. There was a small sitting area with a flat screen tv and a small ref which we stocked with our own water and fruit juices. The terrace was lovely. It overlooked Logon Beach. The main strip Bounty Beach was a short 5 to 7 minute walk. It was not an issue at all. The bed was big and comfortable. Housekeeping was excellent. They cleaned the room, made the bed and gave us fresh towels everyday. Our room also came with breakfast which we looked forward to every morning. If you are looking for a comfortable accommodation in Malapascua with a good location and reasonable price, look no further. I highly recommend Angelina's. You will not regret it. We were so glad we stayed here as it made our first visit to Malapascua even more memorable. Grazie e un saluto a Riccardo e Angelina !!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Christine M
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had the pleasure of spending three nights above the restaurant in one of Angelina's two suites. The Caruso room is slightly nicer as it has glass doors front and back. As regards other comments on this page, we found the aromas coming up from the restaurant to be a welcome addition to our stay. At night, the chatter from the dinner guests downstairs does not feel like a disturbance at all. Indeed, what I liked about our location the most was that you felt part of the island's routine during your stay.

Staying above the dining room, we had ample opportunity to sample their breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. All three were excellent and the food on offer here is hands down the best western cuisine on Malapascua. We tried pretty much everything on the menu from the homemade pasta and pizza to baked seafood, salads and desserts. Nothing disappointed.

The view of the beach in front of Angelina's is lovely and it's a welcome short distance from the busier and more touristy Bounty Beach. The owners are pleasantly indifferent to their guests, which is how we like it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank peadarseoul
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Normally I stay in budget accomodation on the island (partly because I live here) but I decided to splash out on my birthday for some luxury and after hunting around the island we settled on staying at Angelina's. We stayed in the Pina room which is big enough to sleep four people; one large comfy double bed and a sofa that transforms into two single beds. The room itself was fantastic; beautifully furnished and decorated, awesome bathroom with hot shower, two air con units, large silent fan above the bed, a couple of large comfy chairs, desk and a safe. The room also has a balcony looking out onto Logon beach. Included in the room price is breakfast at Angelina's Restaurant which has a pretty simple menu and serves proper Italian coffee. Another bonus of the room is that it is located in a fairly secluded part of the island, so you are not disturbed by the usual noise of cockrels and motorbikes. The best part of all of this is that it is exceptionally good value compared to a lot of the other high end rooms on the island.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple