We booked Malapascua Legend because it was the only hotel available for the peak season of the Holy Week. It probably has the highest rate among the hotels/resorts in the island, so it is expected that I will be getting good service. I have, however, read here on TA not so good feedback about the hotel so when I made my booking I made it specifically clear that I will be expecting no less especially that they are charging the highest room rates in the island.
We got a room in the “newly constructed” building (accdng to the Manager). I have no issues with the room, it’s big --- 1 king sized bed and 1 single bed. Furniture is new so no complaints on that. We didn’t have a refrigerator and SDB and when I pointed this out, they said that they can’t do anything about it and was even surprised that it didn’t have those in the room. They immediately offered that maybe it was because it was a new room.
The hotel also has a large swimming pool, if I’m not mistaken it’s the only hotel in the island with a pool. So if you require such, then Legend is the place to stay.
I think Malapascua Legend is trying to position itself as a high-end resort in the island however, it is still a long way to go. While the room is good, the bathroom is a bit poorly designed, in the shower there is a sort of elevated platform where water flows to a lower canal before it drains out to the floor drain…nice concept except that floor elevation was faulty so water doesn’t drain out and we are left with bad smell of stale water the next time we use the bathroom. The bed and pillows are soft, but the towels need some softener, it is so stiff and hard on the skin.
Where Malapascua Legend badly needs improvement on is its quality of service given the hotel’s rates. Hotel staff BADLY NEEDS training on service, communication skills and even on serving skills in the restaurant. They don’t even have uniforms and it’s hard to distinguish who is a staff or not. I did not at all feel like I was a welcomed guest in the hotel. Each time I bring something to their attention (i.e. no ref, tv not working), they would simply offer that they can’t do anything about it!!! I also feel bad that I can see the stark contrast of welcome that they accord to foreigners over a Filipino like me. While I know that this is very common Filipino hospitality and eagerness to please, for such a hotel, they should know how to treat each guest equally. An example is when I approached reception for check-out, there was no “good morning” greeting or even a smile, it seemed like I was a bother and distraction to their work (which was just hanging out by the bar and chatting with other waiters/waitress), but when a German couple was approaching the desk, the manager even from a few meters away was loudly greeting them hello! Well, talk about discrimination --- i felt more welcome in the Exotic Resort a few meters away where I am not a guest and we merely went there for lunch.
Food is bad! Room rates come with breakfast but it is not buffet style. In the 3 breakfast times that we were there, either the coffee machine has broken down or it managed to brew very watery coffee. I ordered sunny-side up eggs but it was cooked in a not-so clean griddle coz the undersides of my eggs were black from the used oil!!! Eeewww! When I pointed this out to the person cooking (I won’t dare call him a chef as it would be an insult to that profession), he simply said (again!) he can’t do anything about it coz they can’t clean the griddle as it was already very hot! ?!??!?!?!
Food presentation (and I mean the coffee, juice and few plates for the bread) was also very mediocre ---- again, for a hotel that tries to position itself as high-end! This hotel badly needs an F&B manager so at least it can move up a notch higher in terms of service and food quality.
The hotel can also improve on the tables/beach chairs that they have set outside. Why not take cue from what Ocean Vida and Exotic have done on the area next to the beach. It will definitely add more to the ambience and will make one feel that he has indeed booked himself in a “high-end” hotel.
Another item that I want to bring up is the “cultural show” that they put up on Good Friday. There was nothing cultural about it, except for a few Filipino dance, they had this cheap gay show which had some sexual jokes which I find very inappropriate not only coz it was a Good Friday but because the hotel had children guests. If I were a foreigner, I’d simply be confused on what Filipino culture is?!?
In short, Legend is a resort trying to be a big hotel, but it desperately needs improvement on service. So until that is resolved, for me, in Malapascua Legend, good service is simply just that --- a legend!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malapascua Island is situated two and a half hours away by car and four hours away by bus from the city of Cebu. A barangay of the town of Daanbantayan, Malapascua Island takes pride in its world class diving spots and pristine white sand beaches. It is widely referred by locals as the "Boracay of Cebu." As a diving destination, Malapascua Island has become known for its beautiful coral gardens and excellent local dive spots, as well as further out sites like Gato Island, Monad Shoal, and Kemod Shoal. Monad Shoal is an underwater plateau where thresher sharks and manta rays can be seen on a regular basis. The town's name is derived from two Spanish words, "mal" and "pascua", which translated in English means, "bad" and "Easter" or bad Christmas. According to locals, the Spaniards named the island that way after they arrived there on a stormy Christmas. Malapascua Island is a promise of a great dive and a relaxing beach experience, making it a popular travel destination for local and foreign tourists alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your Malapascua Legend reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malapascua Legend Hotel Malapascua Island
- Malapascua Legend Malapascua Island, Cebu Island