“Nice hotel but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Miami Beach, Florida
“Nice hotel but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Here is my feedback.
Pros :
- very nice rooms, especially the one with sea views. Great balcony.
- good soundproofing between rooms.
- good service (clean rooms etc)
- great beach bar with happy hour and lounge music
- smiling employees
- great 1 hour in room massage for 500 php.
- free wifi, slow, but free !

Cons :
- too many boats parked outside the resort, less space for swimmers and people who just want to stay in the water without being too close of other tourists because the space between all these boats is limited.
- lot of garbage in the sea at a only a few meters from the shore, maybe they should hire someone to pick it up once in a while. (FYI lot of algae too, caused by pollution + heat ???)
- people coming from other resorts using the limited number of beach chairs reserved for the guests. There is a sign but it's really not respected and the employees don't seem to care.
- lot of people trying to sell us stuff when we are chilling at the resorts beach, or even on our balcony, really really annoying after a few days.
- restaurant food was so so yet pretty expensive, great and smiling service though.

We had a great stay at this hotel but we are not sure if we will come back if they don't fix the problems listed above, there is so many other islands to visit...
I think this resort is very focused on the divers (they have their own diving center and lot of boats) , not so much on the people who just came here to relax on the beach. I don't blame them but I wish I knew it before I decided to stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jasperzzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I organized my trip to Malapascua based on reviews of Ocean Vida resort and wasn't let down. Sorren the manager made us feel welcome right from the moment our boat reached the beach. The place has a wonderfully relaxed vibe. The rooms are well sized and fitted with everything you need - although the bathrooms are a little dated. The staff are all super friendly an can help with all ur needs. They organized a fantastic massage for us in our air conditioned room and even did our laundry at really cheap rates. Make sure u plan ur Itinerary around the 4-6pm Happy hour. Sipping the delicious array of cocktails while relaxing on the beanbags and watching the sunset were a highlight each evening. Food was excellent too. Also ask at reception or with the boat transfer guy (forgot his name but super friendly guy) about the 3hr snorkeling trip around the island - it was great.

• Stayed April 2013
mla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Best among Malapascua island? hmmm

Maybe Yes
but if i can only have a bit touch of home it would be better

What i personally don't like
The management feels that they are quite expensive for the locals so they are catering this hotel for foreigners mainly -( at least that's what i remembered ) - and additional words of ...with the price i pay the service i get is great
highly recommended for foreigners
but for locals like me, something was quite off
If you are not from the Philippines perhaps this can be the place for you
they really offer great service to you guys
yes, they are quite expensive. true. compared to other hotels around
BUT it does not mean they were already giving the best service in town
I've been to more affordable with the best service in town and it was not close to what they gave us. so i think next time be careful on the words getting the best service in town with the price i pay. because i don't think i did get the best. just enough usual service -not bad though
the place was nice - true
BUT there are still a lot of room for improvement
for a four thousand plus peso room i'd be expecting at least a great breakfast
BUT breakfast was bland dry and were just the same everyday. not quite appetizing and appealing for a 4,000+ room. choices were not much after my 4th breakfast. i missed the 5th because i knew there was nothing new
they were really fund of this big chunk of mozzarella cheese in most of the food they have
food really needs improvement
I'm a local i don't speak the language in the area of Cebu - But i can understand them when they talk about us or the other folks around
i even remember during a time when i asked for a help on a DM in their dive shop (regarding weights and torch) he talked to a lady (using their language) and told her that their not under me ask their DM to help. Take note that this DM didnt even answered on where to find find it or how to find it he just talked to the lady in their language and the lady didnt even bother to help us nobody answered us. they just sat in their table. so i smiled and just looked for somebody else who can help us
i was really in my happy moment when i stayed there and i tried my best to enjoy my stay

Dive was really really great though because Malapascua island itself is very very gifted
nice location of the place
will be back here ? - Yes
i enjoyed my stay here there were just some personal minute details that i did not like
i think they should really stop talking about their guests in their language it would be a shame if somebody like me understands it
and for the treatment on the locals try to be more fair :)

it is more fun in the Philippines :D

nevertheless the place was great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank shoshoMla
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were very lucky to have stayed at Ocean Vida for 12 nights in Jan/Feb this year. Booking on the internet was easy, as was arranging an airport collection from Cebu.

The Ocean Vida is situation in the middle of Long Beach and does indeed seem to be the place where everyone congregated on an evening. Having walked the length of the bay, it is definitely situated on the best stretch.
A no frills island where you don't need to get dressed on an evening. Most people were back packers & divers and shorts were the order of the night!

The room we stayed in was a deluxe sea view room and was worth the extra few pounds, as the view was amazing.

The staff greeted us off the boat as we arrived and immediately made us feel very welcome.

All the staff we came across we very friendly and polite.
Breakfast was buffet based with choices of eggs cooked to order. It was perfectly adequate, with plenty to choose from.The fresh Mango juice was delicious.

Cleanliness was not an issue. Clean towels daily, and bed linen we had changed on 2 occasions during our stay.

The hotel had plenty of sunbeds for guests,with a sign to say the beds were for hotel guests only. This sign was totally ignored and the staff did not move people away who were not staying at the resort.This is my only gripe about the Ocean Vida. Guests from other resorts and users of the Explorer divers would come in a morning order a coffee whilst sat on a sun-bed then proceed to stay their all day! I even witnessed these people buying drinks from the little supermarket and bringing them back, so they did not even continue to purchase food/drinks from the resort.

The happy hour started at 5pm - 7pm. The mango Daiquiri's were to die for.

The hotel provided beach towels which could be exchanged as you required.

I would definitely recommend the Ocean Vida and Malapascua for anyone who is wanting a get away from it all relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: If your budget allows choose a sea front room on the first floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarterFamily5
Maun, Botswana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt like we had brushed our cares aside and could relax. The property is very well run and the staff are all very friendly. We stayed in a ground floor room which was very comfortable with great views and a very comfortable bed. Although the path in front of the rooms is very busy, privacy is well maintained with the tinted one way glass allowing you to make full use of the stunning view.

Happy hour was very busy and service was sometimes slow, but the mango daiquiris were well worth waiting for while lounging on the bright bean bags and making use of the free (but slow) wifi. We dined on the beach for two nights which was very special.

We had fantastic dives with Sea Explorers and found their equipment and service to be of a very high standard, with great dive guides. The dive boats were great and we especially enjoyed the early morning coffee served on board every morning en route to the dive site. We dived Monad Shoal early for three mornings and had terrific thresher shark encounters. Another highlight was diving Gato Island and doing some incredible muck dives.

The property is very well maintained, we had a problem with our shower which was promptly fixed and also noticed the huge effort made every day to clean the seaweed washed in on the tide off the beach and bury it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Although I stayed at the nearby Hippocampus hotel for 2 weeks, I used Sea Explorers for my diving excursions and Ocean Vida for fresh mango daiquiris and meals on an almost daily basis and was extremely pleased. Not only were the staff quite helpful, professional and knowledgeable with each of my dives, but the shop, boats, and equipment were all maintained at high standards. You will be guaranteed to see thresher sharks but for hammerheads, be wary of the season you visit. I went in February and had no luck. My recommended dive guide? Ms. Dish. She is fantastic!

Regarding the restaurant and bar of Ocean Vida, it's a wonderful place to have great local food such as vegetarian lumpia (philippino spring roll), kinilaw (fresh tuna in coconut milk and veggies), chicken adobo as well as other dishes including western ones. I was never displeased with anything I drank or ate here. The staff are all extremely friendly and, come dusk each night, the mood at the bar is even more relaxed with colorful bean bags placed on the beach at each candle-lit table. Grab one of these spots quickly as they're quite in demand.

Room Tip: Ocean Vida rooms book quickly as they're right at the beach. Hippocampus rooms are a bit further...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Michael G
Sacheon, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Vida for five nights and dove with the embedded Sea Explorers dive shop. I was very pleased with both operations.

First, I really liked how Sea Explorers scheduled the dives and grouped the divers to guide dives. Furthermore, the boat crews were great and made gearing up and getting back in the boat very easy. I also enjoyed the entertainment during surface intervals. Overall, the diving was decent and four dive days (two thresher dives) was sufficient for me.

I had a garden view room with air conditioning. The room was comfortable and included complimentary water, packages of coffee, tea, and a kettle. I like to get up early and have coffee before breakfast and the front porch was perfect for this activity. The room was serviced daily when I left for my dives, and plenty of both bath and beach towels were provided. There was a ceiling fan which I really liked, and wish more dive resorts had these in the rooms.

My package included breakfast and the breakfast buffet provided the common western and Asian dishes found at dive resorts (eggs, fresh fruit, bread, etc.). One thing I really liked was that they placed a thermos of hot coffee on the counter and you could help yourself. More resorts should do this, as many times at these other resorts it takes a little work to get your coffee. I was very satisfied with breakfast.

When I signed up for a boat doing two dives, they advised me to order my own lunch the night before. Again, I really liked this approach, and the restaurant had a decent selection of food for those lunches. First, I don’t like to eat a big lunch when diving, and second I’m not a big fan of those large dishes of food brought on the dive boats for everyone to dig into. I picked up my lunch in the morning on the way to the dive boat. I also ate several dinners at the restaurant and enjoyed both of them.

The open air covered bar was right on the beach, or if you preferred, they also placed bean bags on the beach. Furthermore, at night there were candle lit tables on the beach where you could enjoy dinner. For your information, I also ate two dinners at Oscars, the restaurant above Threshers Shark Divers, and enjoyed both of those dinners.

The hotel and dive staffs were very friendly and helpful, and I felt very secure staying there. I would not hesitate to again stay at the Ocean Vida and dive with Sea Explorers.

One additional comment about my garden room: there were roosters right next door and crowing could start at 02:00 AM, and it could really get going around 04:00.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,978 reviews
Malapascua Exotic Island Dive & Beach Resort
Malapascua Exotic Island Dive & ...
#4 of 13 in Malapascua Island

Been to Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!