“Good thresher dives”

$37.40*
Thresher Shark Dive from Malapascua Island
$104.98*
and up
Three-Dive Scuba Diving Tour with Morning Thresher Shark Dive from Malapascua...
$297.88*
10 Dive Package in Malapascua Island
Ranked #3 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 8 years experience on Malapascua,
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here in March and did a total of 15 dives with TSD. Their set up is good but would agree with previous reports in that their customer service is lacking. Apart from the Thresher dives we thought the other dive sites were average and some of the DM's were man-handling the corals to find us some mackro stuff!!!

1  Thank Heppies
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you to this diver for his/her review. As the owner of TSD, I have made customer service one of our top priorities since opening in 2004, and we are usually highly praised for our level of customer service. So I am very sorry this reviewer felt we were lacking in some way. As he/she is not specific, I would very much appreciate it if he could contact me with more details so I can address any problems (dive@thresherdivers.com).

What I can say is that the last couple of months on Malapascua have been the busiest ever on the island - more so than I imagine any local business was expecting. Easter week is always overflowing; as well as being the biggest holiday of the year in the Philippines, it is a holiday for many other countries around the world. To add to this, an agent gave us the wrong dates for a group, and so through no fault of our own, we ended up with more divers than we would normally accept. Rather than let anyone down who was confirmed to dive with us, we tried to do our best to manage everyone. For the most part this went very well and everyone seemed to be happy. But it meant we were a little understaffed so perhaps did not provide the usual level of very personal customer service our guests normally receive (see some of our other 5 star reviews).

We are very environmentally conscious at TSD, in fact have won many Project AWARE awards. It is our policy that our DMs do not interfere with marine life, anyone reported doing this is investigated and disciplinary action can result. One of our temporarily employed local DMs was recently reported to be touching corals and we are no longer using his services. So I am guessing he was the cause of the problem cited by the customer. However, we also ask that customers report anyone touching coral in order for us to stop it so it is a shame this guest did not report it when he/she was here.

I apologise again that our service was not up to its usual high standards, but we hope this guest will come back in the future and give us another chance to show him our more usual TSD hospitality.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We went home after our experience at TSD with some hard feelings. I brought 5 divers with me to TSD - 2 of the divers did 4 dives while 4 of us had a 10 dive package. When it was realized that we wouldn't be able to fit in our 10 dives (which was the fault of TSD, not ours) and asked for a refund on the final dive, we were told that it was not possible and we would be given a credit. (I was rudely told that the dive was full.)

I understand this is their policy and understand that it likely has to do with staffing, gear, etc. however this only breeds ill feelings towards TSD. Quite frankly, a credit is not much more than a slap in the face, in my opinion, as we will likely never go back to TSD or Malapascua.

After asking for a refund for our final dives, the 4 of us were treated coldly by the managers (Dino and Maryann – the former joking about coming back to use the refund and latter not bothering to look us in the eye on the final days while greeting all others guests at breakfast and giving us a shirty response when we asked about T–shirts.)

To add to this, we met a friend at TSD who had recently broken his wrist but already paid for 10 dives. Again, TSD was going to offer a credit rather than give a refund.

All other aspects of the operation were great – we saw Threshers, Beds was a great dive guide and the rental gear was all adequate. But there wasn't much to see at the other dive sites.

Heard lots of dynamite fishing nearby so get there soon because all the coral and reef fish could be gone soon, as will the Threshers likely.

P.S. don't do the Manta Point dive as there is absolutely nothing to see if the Mantas aren't there.

3  Thank chrislahey
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you very much to this guest for his feedback. We appreciate all feedback and do our best to learn from it and to improve our services.

As the owner, I do not like anyone to leave unhappy, so I always investigate any complaints fully. I have talked to our staff and checked dive records to find out what happened in this particular situation.

I'm so sorry he felt our customer service was lacking, but we do try to be fair with our cancellation policy.

We try to fully inform all our customers of our policies in advance; full terms and conditions are sent prior to agreement of any booking confirmation. This guest had originally booked and confirmed a 12 dive package a few months in advance. However, just before arrival, he said he wanted to make this a 10 dive package. We don't like to do this so close to arrival once everything has been confirmed on both ends, but in this case we were flexible and reduced the requested number of dives.

We get fully booked for times like Chinese New Year (as this was) and turned down many divers for that week. We accept bookings based on the number of dives they say they are going to do and to make sure there is boat space. At times like Chinese New Year, people often arrive on Malapascua without booking. It is very hard to have to refuse them when they are sometimes literally begging to dive with us, but we have to respect and honour our pre-booked divers first. It means we have to find a good balance with our cancellation policy. We try to be as flexible as possible - as we were when we changed the package to a 10 dive package because at that time we did not need to let down other divers needlessly and could fill the space.

During the 5 full days he were here we offered 16 dive time slots in total, and his friend managed to do his dives, so I am a little confused as to how they could not complete their 10 dives. Also we have checked back over all the dives during the dates and it seems there was always boat space in each time slot. We always find a way to make sure our pre-booked divers get to dive, and no one remembers telling his it was full and he could not dive. I am wondering if he was told in error that a dive was full or that he misunderstood. If this reviewer could tell me who told you this and about what dive it would be very helpful.

Regarding the gentleman with the broken arm - it was a misunderstanding and we did not charge for his dives. As he had already paid in advance, his payment was credited towards his final bill.

I am very surprised to hear that staff were rude. I know they are normally very polite to everyone, and after questioned they certainly did not mean to be. So both they and I apologise if it appeared that way.

Regarding the refund, the way that we price our packages is that dive prices decrease the more you do, and it is actually almost the same price if you do 9 or 10 dives - it is kind of"Buy 9, get your 10th for free." So the 10th dive is essentially free. So it would have been a refund of only about P100 ($2). This was not explained to the guest but should have been so I apologise. We thought a dive coupon would be preferable to a $2 refund; it was certainly not meant to offend.

But I'm glad that he at least enjoyed some parts of his trip and I hope he has some great thresher shark memories to take home with his. If he does decide to come back again, that dive will still be there for his.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I dived with DM Yuan and DM Gibb with TSD and they are great.

Both DMs are very patient and professional. I do enjoyed my dive there.

However it seems to me that they are over popular. Many divers dived with them and they are always so busy.

It some how gets a little impersonal I would say. I do hope the staff and owner would interact with the divers more.

Like what others have mentioned, it may have become a factory of sort.

Thank you very much to this guest for her lovely comments.

I am the owner and was not there this particular weekend. We did have quite an extensive email exchange in advance of her arrival, although as she did not book, so we did not know she was coming.

This guest was on Malapascua for a short time and only dived with us for one day. For that day, she was on a boat with only 10 divers, in a group of 2 people for her first dive and 3 people for her second dive. Also, given that English was her second language and communication was quite difficult, we made sure she was put with our Chinese instructor who looked after her for the day. So we must admit we are a little confused about it being overcrowded. Whilst this reviewer did personally send me a very complementary email after leaving, it would be great if she could email further feedback so we can improve our services in the future.

At TSD we like to think we offer the benefits of a small shop environment with the benefits of a large dive shop. One of these benefits is that although she was only with us for one day, she dived Calangaman Island, which is one of Malapascua's best sites. But the problem with Calangaman is that it is further away and the less busy shops cannot go there so often as they do not have enough people to make the trip worthwhile. This is not an issue for us, so she definitely benefitted from us being a larger shop by getting to go to one of best dive sites, even though she was only here for a day :-)

We're very sorry if this came across as overcrowding and we will try to do better in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The food was very good, the diving poor. It is becoming more of a diving factory then a dive shop. It is a 200 tank a day business, you do the math.
The local dive masters kept touching the corals, and a fairly new diver who's buoyancy was not so good was encouraged to do the same.

The biggest group I dove with was 1 DM, 2 DM trainees and 7 divers.

The island is literally full of dive shops, so pick another one !!!

2  Thank Jeroen H

Thank you to this diver for his feedback. I am very sorry that he felt that the dive shop was overcrowded.

There are several times of the year when every business in Malapascua is very busy, usually during major holiday periods (Christmas, Chinese New Year, Easter etc.) and we do try and advise people to avoid those times if possible. As was the case when this guest came, we do occasionally have quite a lot of customers, but it is certainly not normal. We do not accept more divers than we feel we can comfortably handle and we always try and make your experience personalised.

We checked this reviewer's dives and admittedly he was once in a group of 10, but it was 7 divers to 3 staff so it was a very good staff to customer ratio. It is possible the 2 additional support divers were put in the group to look after less confident divers. However, I do apologise that he was put in such a large group; this is highly unusual.

For his other 5 dives with us, he was in a group of two (twice), three (once) and four (twice), which is our more usual ratio. So hopefully these dives were better.

We are very environmentally conscious at TSD, in fact have won many Project AWARE awards, and our DMs are absolutely not supposed to touch coral. All our divers are advised the same: in their arrival briefing, in dive briefings and on signs around the shop. We also ask that customers report anyone touching coral in order for us to stop it immediately, so it is a shame this guest did not report it when he was here. If divers are having issues with buoyancy, to avoid them kicking and destroying corals, the DM may advise that they hold onto rock, but it should not be live coral.

I should note that one of our temporarily employed local DMs was recently reported to be touching corals and we are no longer using his services. So I am guessing he was the cause of the problem, and this should no longer happen.

We like to think that we offer a great combination at TSD with the benefits of a small dive shop (such as personalised service) with the benefits of large dive shop (such a wide choice of dive sites and trips to the sites that are further away).

We thank this guest for his feedback and we are certainly going to be more careful in the future with larger groups. We invite him to come back at a quieter time when there are less customers, so he can experience TSD in a way that may be more enjoyable to him.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I did the open water and open water advanced course with them and it was a really great experience. the staff were friendly and professional and the equipment was all clean and well taken care of. The food at the restaurant above the dive shop was the best I had while I was in the Philippines. I would highly recommend them for any diving courses. The staff are very good and made us feel safe and taken care of the whole time.