“best and most popular dive center on malapascua, for good reason!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thresher Shark Divers

Thresher Shark Divers
Book In Advance
More Info
$105.58*
and up
Three-Dive Scuba Diving Tour with Morning Thresher Shark Dive from Malapascua...
Ranked #3 of 22 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 8 years experience on Malapascua,
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Boston, Massachusetts
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“best and most popular dive center on malapascua, for good reason!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

We booked in advance and included transfer arrangements, which you don't have to but they were close to flawless and that's real important if you arriving on an international flight and haven't zoned in to local pace and customs yet. Logistics were perfect, staff is friendly and courteous and by day two you feel like the extended family of the dive shop owners and team. Pretty extensive set of boats, local and ex pat dive masters, definitely a dive shop for accomplished divers and several people doing dm training there too. Also have a great bar - kind of one of the hotspots of the island, food was surprisingly good, and accommodation arrangements can be made for the local hotel-like spots! Although the first stop on our trip, I think we have the most fun here.... on and the thresher sharks, mantas, hammerheads, mandarin fish, octopus and seahorses weren't bad as highlights either! The key thing is getting the seasonal timing right, I'd gone back a month later, I think!

Visited February 2011

50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Five Star Dive Centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

I decided to book my holiday to the Philippines through TSD as I was told they could not only book Malapascua for me, including transfers, but could book ongoing trips as well. This seemed like a great idea to two people who were quite pushed for time to research, so I booked a week in Malapascua, and an ongoing trip to Ticao Island (Manta Bowl) and Donsol (whale sharks) with Andrea - this was definitely the right move and made for a stress-free trip!

**Booking**

Booking was very easy, I let Andrea know where I wanted to go, and she offered me a few different options for accommodation in Malapascua, and for the ongoing trip she made recommendations as to how I could most effectively use my time there - which were spot on! I was able to pay deposits to secure my bookings which I made around 5 months in advance, I then paid the remainder on those trips outside of Malapascua, and had the option of paying the rest of my Malapascua bill on arrival, or in advance using paypayl. I decided to pay using paypal so that I wouldnt have to carry so much cash, and this was done with no problem whatsoever.
This is by far the most stress-free holiday I have ever been on!

**Transfers**

All transfers were seamless, we were met at Cebu City airport by a very friendly driver and a nice comfortable and air conditioned van. When we reached Maya we were met straight away by TSD staff, and our bags were carried onto the boat for us, all we had to worry about was the boat to boat crossing - this can be an adventure but cannot be helped in the Philippines! When we left we were also taken to our hotel in Cebu, and transfers from Legaspi to Donsol, and onwards to Ticao were all done on time, and with flexibility in accordance with what we wanted.

**Arrival**

On arrival our bags were carried firstly to the dive centre, and then to the rooms we were staying in. We were asked what time we would like to start diving the next morning (all very flexible) and asked to bring down our cards etc around half an hour before we needed to leave on the boat.

**The Diving**

Each afternoon the next day's dives are put up on a list for you to sign up to, this usually consists of a morning shark dive somewhere between 5 and 6am, and then dives at 10, 2, and 5.15. Look out for the trip to Gato Island which goes out at 9.30am and comes back around 3.30, you will need to book a lunch with the bar upstairs which is no hassle whatsoever and your food is put straight onto the boat by the staff.
The diving was excellent, and the DMs really made an effort to make sure you got the most out of every dive - particularly determined DMs on some of my dives were Riza (she found a lot of macro things for us!), JN who always searched high, low, (and under rocks and in caves!), and Tata who found lots of Mandarin fish for us on the night dive.
Dives always left on time where they could, if there were any delays staff would come and find you whether you were outside the centre or in the bar upstairs to let you know that there would be a delay, and how long this would be. This rarely happened however and delays were very minor. Occasionally dives need to be changed due to the weather, however this is a safety consideration and much appreciated!
Unlike other dive centres I have been to, when they say you can do 4 dives a day - they mean it! The schedule is flexible enough that you can quite easily fit 4 dives in, we decided not to do this for the 6 days, but felt very relaxed just choosing on a daily basis what we wanted to do.
Finally, if you are qualified to dive on Nitrox I would definitely recommend paying the extra to do so on those dives that are 18m plus - a must for the shark dives as you get significantly increased bottom time, which can be the difference between seeing a shark and not! Most of my dives with TSD were 50 minutes to an hour - it was worth doing as there is so much to see out there, even if you aren't lucky enough to see something big there are lots of other interesting things around!

**Staff**

I completely disagree with the previous review - every single member of staff we met was friendly, polite, and extremely helpful. The guys on the boat were always there to lend a hand, whether it was helping you climb up to the boat, setting up your gear, or packing your box for you! The DMs as I have said were brilliant, they always gave a good pre-dive brief, and made a massive effort to find as much as possible for you to look at underwater. When you dive on Nitrox they also come and find you, ask you to analyse your air (very professional) and the guys loading the boat know not to take anything unless the label has all the information required written on it - including your signature! Everyone in the shop was also very helpful, and very friendly, we had no issues whatsoever.
You have the opportunity to leave tips by using tip envelopes, we were very glad of this as I think all of the staff deserve a share, and not just the ones that happen to have helped you during your stay.

**Oscars**

We had free breakfast each morning at Oscars which is located above the dive centre - I would highly recommend anyone else staying here to do the same!! The menu is varied, and they also have a range of fresh juices (which cost extra but are worth it) available which are delicious. I would particularly recommend the banana pancakes, and the Amercian breakfast to anyone who likes to start the day on a hearty meal!
We often ate lunch here too, which was excellent and very reasonably priced - the Indian paratha roll was particularly good (I had it 3 times!) Dinner was also of a high standard, and again prices are very reasonable, and the days that we were at the dive centre late it was definitely worth eating there as it saved a lot of time and trouble, and the food was excellent.
Service was always with a smile - as with all TSD staff they are very polite and friendly, they had learned our names within about ten minutes and would happily put everything on a running tab, asking us to sign everything off around once a day.
We often sat in the bar between dives that went out closely and had a drink, and on one of the days I decided to have an afternoon off from diving I sat in Oscars for around 3 hours completely undisturbed by staff, unless I needed anything.

**Recommendations**

TSD are an excellent dive centre, offering top notch service, and meet all of your diving needs. If you are planning a holiday to the Philippines I would highly recommend contacting Andrea who can arrange a great stay for you, including onward travel (for hotels, transfers etc) - her recommendations for the resorts of Ticao Island, and Elysia Resort in Donsol (reviews to follow) were spot on.
After leaving Malaspascua I realised I had left my mask in my hotel room at Tepanee Resort (review also to follow). On my return to the UK I contacted Andrea to ask whether they had found it, and whether there was any way she could return it to me. Within a day I had a response saying she had contacted my hotel, found the mask, and was more than happy to post it back! Excellent service even after having left and paid up - this just reflects the kind of atmosphere present at TSD.

Visited February 2011
5 Thank Chili4417
hong kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“brilliant DM's, experienced, fun and friendly..... shame this was not generalised to all TSD staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

I had a brilliant time diving for one reason only and that was my dive guide. He was great, so funny, so informative and a great guide. I like the fact that if you dive on Nitrox you get a different dive to Air dives, I have never experiences this before. The diving was pretty good and I did get to see the thresher sharks (yey). But I found that at times it was one of the unfriendlist dive shops I have experienced, very clichy. Esp when you compare to places such as Sipadan Water Village in malaysia which is the complete opposite. I did consider returning as I liked my dive guide so much but I have decided to return there with a different dive company that have higher ratings on trip advisor. But make your own mind up.... for the way the place is ran- it is organised and all trips leave on time it is excellent.

Visited October 2010