“Great service, accommodations, and vibe”
Review of Evolution Diving

Evolution Diving
Ranked #4 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Evolution is a concept based around safe and exciting scuba diving, good times and cold drinks with old and new friends, and a perfect blend of Filipino, Irish and English hospitality.With the paradise island of Malapascua in the Philippines as the backdrop, Evolution Diving has access to some one-of-a-kind dive sites, including the daily cleaning stations for thresher sharks at Monad Shoal. If you prefer macrolife, you can see most creatures on an experienced divers list, or you can get down and dirty in WWII wrecks and immerse yourself in the history that surrounds them.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Second time visiting Malapascua and using Evolution. They impressed me the first time that I decided to stay in their newly built accommodations. From planning to finished, Evolution were great.

Planning: Matt was attentive to my emails and prompt in replying. I glossed over a few trip items but Matt brought them to my attention to make sure all my bases were covered.

Transportation: For the transportation between Cebu - Maya, Matt arrange a baby seat for my 7 month old nephew. Something that impressed me tremendously since it showed that Evolution's safety concerns go well beyond their diving.

Accommodations: I stayed in the ground floor native fan rooms for 4 nights and here's why I like them:
* the bed was comfortable after a full day of diving
* bathrooms were clean and had hot water. Toilet flushed well.
* lots of patio space to chill as well as hang towels, beach shorts, rashguards, etc
* walls thick enough that I didn't hear neighbours
* Ecologically friendly - minimalist style, local materials used, key card needed to activate room (so I know I'm not wasting energy on the tiny island), however, enough electrical outlets to recharge my phone, GoPro, camera, etc when I'm there.
* enough shelf space to store clothes, lugguage, etc.
* My only complaint is that there is no interior decoration. I don't know if this is to add to the minimalist style, but a picture or painting on the wall would be nice!

Diving: Evolution is always touted as some of the most experienced instructors in the region (they've been in the news many times), and it definitely shows in how professional they run their dive operation. They have a security guard 24-7 and lock up everyone's equipment at night and bring it back out when diving. Their new set of DMs and Instructors were great and paid great attention to detail. Their outriggers are spacious and built well for tropical diving. Their boatcrew are still the same - still great service and tremendously helpful at the beginning and end of the dives. Diving there was a lot BETTER than before the typhoon. A lot more shark action on monad as well as Gato. On Monad they now have cleaner stations cordoned off. Each dive group had their dedicated DM so we didn't have to dive with instabuddies.

Restaurant: I have another review of the Craic House, but I missed out on saying that happy hour was awesome (2 for 1, and generous on the alcohol! :) ). The drinks were great except for the banana daiquiri. Seriously, I have no clue why I order that.

Resort: Evolution recovered well after the typhoon. I loved chilling in the hammocks and beach furniture.

Post-typhoon: the lack of tourists are noticeable. Unfortunate for the businesses, however, travellers should take advantage of this. The shark action was a lot better and the concerted marine conservation efforts on Monad by all the dive shops definitely shows.

I will definitely visit malapascua again and can confidently recommend Evolution to anyone else.

1  Thank chip104
"bar staff"
"private car"
"other resorts"

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We arrived at Malapascua on friday 21/2.. We stayed there until wednesday 26/2 and during that time we had great diving around the island. Early in the morning we went out to dive with treshersharks, and for me that was a bit speciell because it was my first meeting with sharks.
A great experience! The nightdive showed us the wonderful Mandarinfish, also a great experience. The resort, Evolution Diving, truly delivered, I give it 5 stars of 5 possible!
Don't hesitate, go there (^_^)

2  Thank agge2014
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I booked a few tech courses with Evolution and hit the ground running, hard, tiring and busy schedule... Anything less would not have been worth it. As my title says I was to busy with drills to notice narcosis!!

Credit to David and Matt for running a fantastic resort. I went to Evolution for the training, the diving and of course the Craic. I shall return for more.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

The whole island was hard hit by the storm, and a lot of places are still in the rebuilding phase. But everyone is in high spirits, super friendly and ready to get back into the swing of things.
Evolution is no exception. Their whole place is fully functional, from their accommodations to the restaurant and dive operations. They're still tweaking a few things to make the stay more enjoyable, but there's nothing that would hamper your experience.
The staff were very friendly, fun and ready to make sure you had a great time. Their restaurant just got a new facelift complete with friendly staff and a revamped menu that will leave you wanting more.
And of course, there's the diving. Their dive masters and instructors are some of the most knowledgeable and professional divers on the island. They will make sure you see everything you want to see and have fun at the same time.
Overall, there's no other place I would have rather gone to and would definitely stay and dive with Evolution again.

1  Thank Flip4Life
See more reviews
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I visited Evolution after having a horrible experience elsewhere on the island. I hear that they were the best and that proved to be true. I'm a PADI dive instructor as well and have seen lots of bad dive shops. Evolution is top notch! Their rental gear is new and in excellent condition. Their boats are the best on the island and their divemasters (including Gino, JoJo and CeeCee) are just so great to dive with. Everyone there from the owners (Matt and David) down to the restaurant staff (who always remember your name) are super friendly and professional.

Evolution is new and on the ball. Well organised a real one-stop shop for divers. Stay there. Eat there. Dive there. It's easy and relaxing....and all a really great value for the money. They are even one of the few places on the island to accept credit cards.

Places like Thresher Shark Divers (who sank two of their boats while I was there because they did not secure them during a storm unlike ever other shop) and Exotic, cannot come close to the level of service and expertise that comes with Evolution. The pun on Malapasca is that Evolution is the "natural selection"...and it's certainly true here.

The rooms are big, new and, in my case, air conditioned. Modern washrooms. Comfortable beds and great food at their "Craic House" beach restaurant managed by a Canadian by the name of Anton.

Day trips out to the islands with lunch are available as well as local reef dives. Naturally the Thresher sharks are their specialty. Dives leave at 5:30am to get to the shark sites where we never failed to see them during my stay. Their divemasters know just where to go! Even the boat crew are fun and friendly and, unasked, prepared us nice cups of coffee for after our early morning dives.

With thousands of dives under my belt and having visited dozens of dive shops around the earth, I'm confident giving Evolution a great rating for overall excellence in their three categories of service: Diving. Rooms. Restaurant.

If you're going to go all the way to Malapascua....flying, driving, boats, long hours....all for the excellent diving....then don't make the mistake of trying to cut corners and go with some inferior place that makes all sorts of false promises. Just go with Evolution and relax.

2  Thank ColorX