“Great place for your first diving experience”
Review of Evolution Diving

Evolution Diving
Ranked #3 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Evolution is a concept based around safe and exciting scuba diving, good times and cold drinks with old and new friends, and a perfect blend of Filipino, Irish and English hospitality.With the paradise island of Malapascua in the Philippines as the backdrop, Evolution Diving has access to some one-of-a-kind dive sites, including the daily cleaning stations for thresher sharks at Monad Shoal. If you prefer macrolife, you can see most creatures on an experienced divers list, or you can get down and dirty in WWII wrecks and immerse yourself in the history that surrounds them.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place for your first diving experience”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I never tried diving before, but as we arrived on this beautiful island full of white sand, clear blue seawater and palm trees, I decided to do my PADI OWD at Evolution Diving.

I was quite lucky and got a one-to-one training with Kelly, who did her job really well. I learned how to handle the gear and some emergency situations underwater and we practised all of the new skills in the ocean immediately. After all of the skills, we went on exploring the amazing corals each day (and I could learn lots of underwater communication signals and best-practise behaviour) until the gas tanks were empty (<= 50PSI). After the dive, we went back to the dive school and I filled out a test asking about each days skills and rules. It all fit together perfectly.
I've been diving since and Kelly (and all of the other guides of Evolution) really do care about the underwater nature, one can see that they're trying to have the lowest impact on the marine life possible. I've seen Kelly pick up rubbish and never touching any of the coral. It's a great place to learn how to dive and to pick up a good mindset right from the start.

We always started with 220 PSI of air pressure, which is more than you usually get.
The equipment was okay. My altitude meter was broken once, but I got a replacement on the next day. The restaurant was a bit pricy for the provided quality of food and drinks but the atmosphere was nice. As a total beginner, it was perfect to be able to ask established technical divers like David about anything one would want to know about this great sport.

Overall, I'd give 4.5 out of 5, but because of Kelly, let's make it 5!! :)

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Antwerp, Belgium
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Modern dive centre … with great dive guides”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This place knows what it is about: good diving and great food. They combine both high level training with great tourism. We merely did the tourism stuff (apart from 2 nitrox coures with Danny) and I must say the dive guides are great. They are all local and managed to come up with their promises every time, whether we wanted (pygmee) seahorse, frogfish, reef sharks or whatever. Actively looking under every rock or in the corals, Jo, Gino and Alex did not let us down and made this holiday one to remember.

I would not classify Malapascua as the most beautifull dive spot around the area. Compared to other places (Negros, Apo Island, Siquijor), there is significantly less fish around the corals. Malapascua is however a definite must go for the Tresher sharks. We saw them during every dive at Monad and were more than happy. Nevertheless, you should keep going back for more: during our 3th dive at Monad we saw a huge manta from really close by. Getting up at 4h30 might seem early, but it’s worth it, every time.

We were a bit unlucky with the weather, which limited diving possibilities around the island. Not all sites were always available and therefore we spent more than one dive at several locations. This was however no problem as there is plenty to see down there. Bogtong Bato and and deep slope are a few sites to remember. They also have the Dona Marlyn wreck near the island. If you’re into big wrecks, this one is easily accessible between 18 and 30 m.

The accomodation at Evolution is simple but very comfortable. At the time of writing they had only 4 (beach side) huts available and were expanding to 16 rooms in total. The food at the Craic House is superb, as is the service. The open bar is a very nice meeting place and we spend nearly all the time not diving at the bar. This place is a definite must go!

1 Thank Stef133
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Week of awesome fun dives”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Man, evolution is the bomb. Really quick response to email and help with booking accomodation at a cool spot next door as theirs was full. Organised transfer from cebu airport. Owners around everyday, if not in the shop, at the Craig house in the afternoon. Local staff was really jacked, actually one of the more professional teams with all local dms and some expat instructors. Jojo looked after us very well. Personal and fun diving. Did 20 dives in the week, came for the threshers but the other diving was epic, loads of macro! Wife and I are not tech divers, all recreational stuff and loved it. This place does attract a cool group of divers. Saw some of the cattle boats from the other dive centres... Not worth it. And the diving prices at evolution are very good.

Barcelona, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I agree: professional (as many others) yet unfriendly”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have read one review of Evolution titled like this and after diving with them I think it is the perfect way to define them. I am an experienced diver and chose Evolution because of the good reviews and the advice of the dive resort I stayed with in Dauin. Evolution is a professionally managed resort and diving operation, but it is actually too professional: it lacks any warmth or passion - they really don't care about you. And it is more expensive than other dive shops in the area - for no reason, as far as I saw. The equipment was not particularly new, the DM was not particularly experienced nor caring. Managers were nowhere to be seen.
We did the thresher shark dive with them and shopped around for the next dives in Gato, found a newly stablished dive shop: Seapark (terrible name) brand new equipment (that includes computer and camera), good boat, professional enthusiastic manager, cheaper.
All dive shops know how to take you to see the thresher sharks, it is not that Evolution has a better strategy or anything like that.
So, Evolution: I am not sure if the fuss of other reviews is about technical diving or instruction¿? but for fun diving I really don't recommend them.

6 Thank CubiMoG
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very professional dive shop”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I organized a diving trip for 8 international divers at Evolution Diving recently and I only have good things to say about the outfit.

They organized transport for us to and from the Mactan airport and organized our stay at another resort since they were fully booked. The next morning our equipment was already packed according to our specifications and 5 minutes of paperwork later we were heading off in the water for a full 4 days.

The staff on and off the diving boat were nothing but professional and took care of our every needs. We never had to carry gear or rinse it. There are no guarantees of seeing stuff when you head off diving but we got lucky and saw lots of threshers on our early dives.

I will definitely bring more divers there. I hope that one day I'll end up working for a similar outfit as an instructor or better end up owning one and use them as a reference on how to run an outfit.

Hats off to you Evolution.