“One of the best in Asia.”
Review of Evolution Diving

Evolution Diving
Ranked #1 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Evolution is a concept based around safe and exciting scuba diving, good times and cold drinks with old and new friends, and a perfect blend of Filipino, Irish and English hospitality.With the paradise island of Malapascua in the Philippines as the backdrop, Evolution Diving has access to some one-of-a-kind dive sites, including the daily cleaning stations for thresher sharks at Monad Shoal. If you prefer macrolife, you can see most creatures on an experienced divers list, or you can get down and dirty in WWII wrecks and immerse yourself in the history that surrounds them.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Evolution is run like a dive shop should be; top quality service, excellent diving and good craic. Having dived around most of South East Asia there are few resorts like this.

From a recreational side of diving they cannot really be faulted; good guides, good boats, good equipment, good group sizes etc etc. Price competition between the resorts on Malapascua is fierce, but it's not really worth saving that odd Peso here and there with Uncle Bob's diving or what not. You might as well pay that little bit extra (if anything at all) and dive with the best knowing that you will be taken care of, not have your cylinders filled off some ropey old compressor and dive with a resort that respects the environment as well as the above.

From a technical side of diving; there are not many dive shops in South East Asia (if any) that can beat what Matt and David have created here. They have an exceptional set up with every bit of equipment you could want to rent for open and closed circuit diving and its all top quality stuff as they use themselves. They can blend any mix you desire and its not an unreasonable price considering your location. I suppose a lot of dive shops can offer this; but what makes Evolutions set up go the extra mile is that Matt has over ten years of experience in this realm and it really shows through the knowledge and expertise that he has poured into creating this.
Once you have dived with Evolution you will be spoilt as you'll realise how many cowboys there are in the tech diving world throughout Asia and the rest of the world.

Aside from all the diving; they also serve up decent food in the Craic house and plenty of cold beers!

2  Thank redpandadiving

Reviewed June 16, 2013

When my dive buddies and I arrived in Malapascua, we were a bit overwhelmed by just how many dive shops were! Seriously, when we were there in March 2013, there must have been at least 15 dive outfits! Researching in advance, we knew about Evolution and made sure not to commit before making it to Evolution to take a look.

We arrived to Evolution in the early evening on March 17th...yes..St. Patricks Day! Of course we were all thirsty, so we made our way to the Craic House and started ordering Guiness and Irish Car Bombs to celebrate. Before long we made friends with so many folks there at the bar, many of which were affiliated with Evolution, in one way or the other. Laughing and sharing dive stories, we were having the time of our lives and readily committed to diving and gravitating round Evolution Diving and the Craic House!

We only stayed on Malapascua for four days total, but in that short time we made so many long time friends! Matt the owner, is fantastic! He is such an approachable and easy going guy and obviously a top-notch diver! A different Matt, one of the instructors at the time, was such a genuine dude and he was the perfect teacher for a couple of our friends to complete their Advanced Diving certification with. Kris, the freelance photographer at the time, was full of great stories and his pictures were just incredible! Alex a local divemaster was also very good!

If ever I get back to Malapascua again in the future, I will head directly to Evolution Divers. Professional and fun, Evolution just has a way of attracting the best of it all! Thanks guys!

1  Thank oceantroy
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Just got "advanced" today with Kelly, thank you! Good diving centre, excellent services and professional staffs. They are quite flexible for diving schedule, and suggested me to take the dives at Gato, it's the most beautiful dive I ever had.

1  Thank scorpio25th
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a few days diving Malapascua as part of a larger hop-around Philippines vacation. So, we were a bit constrained for time and decided to book our entire stay there with Evolution. I emailed Matt, one of the owners, and he took care of everything promptly.

First, getting there! Malapascua is off the northern tip of Cebu Island while Cebu City (and the airport) were somewhere closer to the middle. There is public transportation available for very little cost (around 500P for taxis, buses, and the public boat), but we were pressed for time and also we arrived at night, so we opted for the private transport. Matt arranged us a private car (3000P) from the airport that took us straight to the wharf, where one of Evolution's own dive boats (1250P) was waiting to ferry us across. Considerably more expensive and less adventurous, but much faster and worth it for us just to get there.

Also! Our flights to Cebu were delayed by several hours. (In fact, every single flight we took to, from, or within the Philippines was delayed, but that's another review!) If we had opted for the public transportation, we would have missed it (since it stops running in the evenings) and would have been stuck on Cebu for the first night of our dive trip. I simply emailed Matt with our updated flight information and he relayed it to our driver. No problem.

We arrived late, close to midnight, and the entire island was asleep. The Evolution security guard had our key and showed us to our room, which was well equipped with a big double bed, a smaller twin bed, dresser, fan, full cold water bathroom, electricity, and a little porch out front. We slept soundly with the wind in the palms and the surf sounds in our ears. We awoke to find we were steps from the beach and also from the dive center. Perfect!

We loved this room so much. The fan was more than adequate to keep us cool at night, but it was booked out the rest of the stay and we gotta have hot water to stave off diving-induced ear infections, so we grabbed our still-packed bags, and headed to the new, fancy air-con rooms towards the back. And they were fancy! Huge, with two double beds, icy air-con, and hot, hot water, plus everything else the other room had, just nicer. One small complaint about the fancy rooms: the free wifi signal doesn't reach and we had to come up to the Craic House restaurant any time we wanted to use it.

Ok, now, the diving! We didn't have any problem getting equipment. Once we found stuff that fit, we put it all into crates with our names on them and that was the last we saw of it until we were strapping it on on the boat. Evolution staff prepared everything, even hooking the regulators up to the tanks and partially inflating the BCDs! The first dive, it was a little unnerving going down using equipment I hadn't assembled and checked myself, but it was fantastic not lugging around all that heavy stuff on my own.

Like everyone else on Malapascua, we came to see the thresher sharks. So, when we sat down with Matt to register and pick some dives, we learned that the threshers like to hang around at about 26 meters. Fine for my boyfriend w/his advanced open water, but I only have open water and Matt made it clear that they weren't going to bend on the 18m limitation to bring me down. But I could do the deep dive training that day and then go see the threshers the next morning.

"Oh great," I thought, "Here comes the upsell." Yes, I did have to pay more for the deep dive training, but all my marine fees and equipment fees were waived for the day and the actual cost for the dive was absorbed into the training fee, so it worked out about even. I left with the advanced open water manual and instructions to read a few pages, answer a few questions, and report later to the dive center to go over it all with an instructor.

It was all straightforward enough. On the dive later that day, 2 of us were doing the deep dive training and 2 others were just enjoying themselves, looking for mantas that unfortunately never appeared. It was a tough dive with strong currents, but we completed the tasks and got through it.

The next morning, newly certified to deep dive to 30m, we boarded a pre-dawn dive boat and headed out to the famed Monad Shoal for our encounter with the mighty threshers. We were not disappointed! We saw dozens of them as soon as we hit the water until we got back onto the boat. So exhilarating! It was fairly busy down there as this is the only time of day to see them, but it was such a passive dive that it didn't really matter. We moved a couple times, but for the most part, we just stayed in one place and watched them circle around.

Back before 7am, it was time for breakfast at the amazing Craic House. My boyfriend then went out on two more dives that day, which he said were fairly pedestrian, but had some terrific macro life. If we had more time, I would have definitely stayed and tried the mandarin fish night dive (with training, of course). Something for the next visit, I guess.

The return trip to Cebu airport was supposed to be via public transport, but we realized the night before that we'd be rushing and might miss the flight that way. So David, another owner, got his lovely Filipina wife to call and arrange private transport for us again the next morning. We made it to the airport without a hitch. Unfortunately with bags of wet sopping laundry because it wasn't finished drying when we had to leave. They didn't charge us for it, though.

Overall impression: this is a very professional, well-run dive center. Everyone from the top down was courteous and helpful. Great rooms, great food, great diving. Excellent trip!

3  Thank hops11
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been diving for more than 45 years, mostly in the Philippines, but also in the US, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Malaysia and Palau. I've been on liveaboards and countless resorts.

Evolution Diving clearly stands out as the best among the best. The friendly, low-key demeanor of the owners and staff belies their high level of professionalism, attention to detail and uncompromising adherence to safe diving rules.

Divers of every "persuasion" - be it Open Water to Technical (tri-mix, re-breathers) will happily discover that Evolution Divers has it all. Delivered efficiently and safely all the time.

2  Thank Eduardo C