We made email arrangements to stay next door at the White Sand Bungalows but had specifically asked for a bungalow facing the beach. It was important to us that we had a view of the ocean since it was my husband's birthday and our honeymoon. Unfortunately we arrived to a pretty average and basic accommodation (which we were okay with) but our unit was facing another hut's wall and we were not okay with that. We stayed one night there and then moved on to Tepanee.
If I could give 6 stars to Tepanee, I would! The only room available at Tepanee was called Jully. It is one of their nicest rooms directly facing their private beach. You walk into the room and look at the view, absolute relaxation hits from every angle. The room has a large wood sliding door facing the patio and the ocean. The beach bar area is quiet and directly next to the private beach. Vittorio, one of the owners, ensures the quality and the vibe of the beach bar maintains a certain quality that is refreshing. While we were there for the week, Vittorio was training his staff, teaching them to make mixed drinks and ensuring that their service is up to par. The beach bar music is tasteful and relaxing too. We had a hard time leaving the resort. We stayed three nights in Jully before moving to a different room (Jully was booked). The second room we stayed in was similar to Jully but without the view. Even without the view, we loved enjoying the resort and the Italian hospitality.
People have commented about the stairs at this resort. Yes, there are stairs. So what. Yes, you may have to carry your luggage up some stairs. There are some locals who are willing to help if you need it. The stairs are constructed out of local rocks. The rocks are jagged. I wore flip flops every day and never tripped or stumbled over the rocks. The stairs are safe and fine.
About the food and drink - they have good coffee here. For those that care, you know that after traveling around Asia for a while, it's nice to get a good cup of coffee. We ordered ice coffee or Americano daily. Wonderful. The signature drink at the resort is made with ginger and vodka. I'm not usually a vodka fan but wow - this was good. Even if you are not staying at the resort, go to the beach bar and order a drink, enjoy the private beach view. A nice change of pace from the rest of the island. The food was good too. We really enjoyed the pesto pasta and the tuna carpaccio . They even delivered breakfast to our room on my husband's birthday!
I have only one suggestion for the resort. The local ladies who work at the front desk should provide more information about the public ferry ride. We did not know that there might be a ticketing booth on logan beach and we did not know that you might have to pay a little extra to the small boats during low tide. Small boats take you to the big boats. We wish we knew exactly what was supposed to happen on our ferry ride home because the local captains are notorious for scamming tourists.
Lastly, I am trying to figure out if I can ever get back to this resort. It was a wonderful way to end a honeymoon. I was so sad to go. Sad to leave Vittorio and his Italian hospitality. Sad to leave the view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malapascua is the beautiful small island of the Philippines hosting Tepanee: an intimate and friendly resort that will give you an unforgettable holiday. Tepanee stands on a small hill that rises up from Logon beach and our territory goes down to our own private sandy beach, an area isolated from the rest of the island from where it’s possible to admire breathtaking sunsets in an area secluded from the rest of the island and where we placed beach umbrellas, sunbeds, a gazebo for massages and our lovely Chiringuito beach bar. In addition, in the hill adjacent to the reception is our panoramic Amihan restaurant. The name TEPANEE comes from the name of the Polynesian frangipani plant, a tropical tree that graces our gardens with fragrant flowers of various colors. Historically, the concept for our resort followed a philosophy of low environment impact. Most of the building materials are natural and local: wood, bamboo and stones used for the main structures, roofs made of a typical straw named kogon. The buildings are almost invisible from the ocean, even if many are built right on the seaside. Opened on December 8, 2008, Tepanee in the beginning was consisted of 6 independent double cottages and one building of two storeyes with 4 triple rooms. We have grown, and can now offer you: Deluxe cottages: independent buildings with a superb ocean view, the best in Malapascua Island, facing the sundown. They feature: aircon, ceiling fan, en-suite bathroom, hot shower, minibar, safety box, balcony with sofa, queen size double bed with option for one or two extra single beds, bamboo and wooden furniture, wooden floor, entrance door and windows with mosquito screen and blackout curtains, free wifi, daily cleaning service. These cottages can accommodate up to four people. Superior cottages: independent buildings with aircon, ceiling fan, en-suite bathroom, hot shower, minibar, safety box, balcony with sofa, queen size double bed with option for one extra single bed, bamboo and wooden furniture, wood floor, windows with mosquito screen and blackout curtains, free wifi, daily cleaning service. Some cottages can accommodate an extra single bed for a fourth person. Some cottages have the ocean view, some have a partial ocean view, some have the garden view. Standard rooms: together in two different buildings of two storeys. All the rooms have a double queen sized bed and a single bed, a have private entrance, aircon, ceiling fan, en-suite bathroom, hot shower, minibar, safety box, balcony with sofa, bamboo and wooden furniture, wooden floor, windows with mosquito screen and blackout curtains, free wifi, daily cleaning service. Some rooms can accommodate an extra single bed for a fourth person. The Standard rooms have partial ocean view or garden view. We provide for the wifi in all the resort. Please, note that we are in a remote island and the service sometime may be slow or discontinuous. Since December 2012, you can eat and drink right next to our private beach, at the Chiringuito beach bar, where we serve breakfast and lunch, snacks, drinks and natural fruit juices, cocktails, with soft music in the background. In May 2013, we opened our new Amihan restaurant, in a panoramic position on the hill at the new entrance of Tepanee. We are serving the amazing Italian cuisine that Amihan had already become renowned for: pizza, vegetables, fish and grilled meats, pasta and pastries, tropical fruit, wine and much more. Tepanee Beach Resort is located in a non-flat area: from the reception to the rooms and the beach on the back there are stairs to go up and down. The steps are wide and low, but they do exist: please be aware of this when choosing our hotel for your stay. We do not provide hair-dryers and television. We provide beach towels upon request and with payment of the laundry service. We accept credit cards payments: Visa, Mastercard, American Express and JCB (bank transaction charges apply). We also accept cash payments in Pesos, Euros and US Dollars. Check-in is possible from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Check-out must be completed by 12:00 noon. Reception is open from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM. During your stay you will have direct assistance with everything concerning scuba dives and diving courses, which can be easily booked through us. Please contact our reception for all the informations and to book the dives. Tepanee organizes transfers from and to Cebu City/Airport/Pier at any time by private van and boat: our boats arrive and depart from our private beach, located inside the Tepanee Beach Resort area. Just contact our reception, please, for all the informations and to book the transfer. Our staff are delighted to respond to your requests, and we are certain that you will have all you need for relaxing and memorable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your Tepanee Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tepanee Beach Hotel Malapascua Island
- Tepanee Beach Resort Malapascua Island, Cebu Island