“Convenient Location .... Good Value .... Good Quality”

Slam's Garden Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Convenient Location .... Good Value .... Good Quality”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I would certainly go back here again .... my room had hot water showers and aircon and was well located just back from the beach fronts and a short walk from Thresher Shark Divers on the main Beach. The staff kept it clean and I was very happy with my morning Breakfast with fresh Mango as well!

Just next to the main hotel entrance is another beach that faces West ..... fantastic sunset photos!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Williamtje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I traveled solo to do some diving and stayed here for 6 nights. This hotel is conveniently located close to the ferry drop off. It is also very close to a number of dive shops. The bed is comfortable even with just a fan but you have to keep the window open at night to keep cool air circulating. The room is equipped with a lockable closet and safe which is fairly important since there are a lot of people wandering around at all hours of the day. Check in was relatively painless since I booked through an online service. I ate at the restaurant a couple times and thought the food was OK but not really good value for the money. Within immediate walking distance from this hotel is a very cheap restaurant and down the beach is a very good Italian restaurant. With so many better dining options it's pointless to pay high end restaurant prices at this hotel. Despite these minor things this is still a good place to stay and it also seems to be relatively unscathed from the Typhoon. I found the staff to be cheerful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Bolognapony
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Staff are really unhelpful here and as a result we stayed down the beach at legends resort, who were far more accommodating, and better value.

Upon arriving we found that the internet was down, and as a result they could not process our booking. Although we had a screen shot of our prices from agoda, they refused to accept and wanted to charge a walk in price which was double to the offers available online, usually I bemoan people who winge abt not booking before and then having to pay more, but this was ridiculous and staff need better training,

As a result, they lost out on a lot of business post check in, with diving and out f&b costs amounting to a very healthy spend, bad staff = bad returns.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Duncg03
slamsgarden_resort, Owner at Slam's Garden Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for posting a review about our place.

We are glad that you find a place more accommodating for you stay in Malapascua.
First:
Upon arrival there was no internet to process you booking. Since the typhoon last November 8 the signal is on and off. And that is for the whole Island. If no internet in our place there is no internet in other resort on the island.
Second:
YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BOOKING with us.
You come as a walk in and show a screen shot from Agoda that you said was two times cheaper.
Except our fan rooms i don't know where you find that. We also work with a channel manager that will guarantee the parity between all travels agencies.
Some agencies will show the NET price and other like in you example AGODA will show one price NOT INCLUDE TAXES AND SERVICE CHARGE. But if you book and go until the payment of your booking this charges will be added at the end of the processing.
Unfortunately it appear that you don't know that.
Third:
I agree with you that my staff need better training and that will be my responsibility but we take only staff from the island to give work to the people of Malapascua and we do our best as we can.
Fourth:
I surprise that you put a review with one rating and YOU DON'T EVEN STAY WITH US.
As it's the first time we get a ONE RATING our customers will understand comparing with all another reviews we have.

Again thank you and next time you argue with one hotel about the prices make sure you know of what's your talking about.

Slam's Garden Management
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Room was big, good, clean and had the standard, bed was absolutely terrible, 6 inch foam mattress, luckily there were two double beds in the room so we put the other mattress on top, 12 inches of foam mattress is better than 6. We had complimentary breakfast for the 3 days we were there, only had it once, not very good. No bottled water provided at all. Couldn't go back to the room to relax because it was so damn uncomfortable.

Will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Slam's with a dive group. There is nothing inherently WRONG with the facility, it just lacks polish and finish, and could easily be improved. The rooms in the new wing are spacious and the beds comfortable. Breakfast orders were always a challenge, with the staff not REALLY understanding English, and most things had to be asked for, repeatedly - with the staff seeming unable to complete an order or understand that a breakfast comes with coffee and juice. Both of which had to be asked for. I was also aggrieved when I was charged extra for "More butter" on top of the tiny scrape that was provided with my toast. Filter coffee for breakfast would be nice, and probably cheaper for the management than individual packets of Nescafé and water from a flask, which was not always boiling hot.
This review should not be confused with the staff's desire to help, it is their capability to help that is being questioned. However, when the air conditioning in the room broke, the staff offered a room move without question, while the repair man travelled from Cebu City.
The flies around the dining area made eating here less than ideal, and combined with the challenging service I chose to forego my rate inclusive breakfast and find somewhere else for my morning eggs and toast

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RMJ1066
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We loved our stay at SLAM's. The room was very clean and the stuff friendly and helpful. The food at restaurant was also really good. Try the pancakes for breakfast!
The location is also excellent, there are dive shops next to it and it's 20 meters to the beach. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Private
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Slam's Garden is a mid-range property according to Southeast Asia standards and a basic bargain property based on Western standards. As previously mentioned, this is not an oceanfront property. Unless that was the sole purpose of your travel, then the 3 min walk around the corner is worth the savings, especially if you are diving. After traveling through Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines in rooms ranging from $20-30 a night, Slam's Garden fan room offered quite a few features that were previously missed.

The property appears fairly new, so there are no signs of wear and tear or a need for a major renovation. The linens and towels were in good condition instead of stained or with holes. The shower is separate from the toilet, whereas before the toilet and the whole bathroom would become drenched after a shower. The room was cleaned daily with a two night stay. In fact, the decor in the room was simply, but quite charming. I felt like I was actually staying in a hotel instead of someone's back room. The entire property is quite lovely with the hammocks and artistic landscape.

The true measure of this location is that the cheapest room, the fan room, was well maintained contrary to the practice of all the other places I stayed. I stayed in the fan room during mid September. I specify the time, because I don't believe that fan room will be comfortable year round. I am actually acclimated to extremely warm conditions and still woke up in a mild sweat. I would recommend that Slam's Garden change the cute curtains to a heavier shade that doesn't blow when the fan oscillates. You may need to ditch your jammies to stay cool, but be prepared to show the staff and other guests all your curves and dimples.

Aside from the flimsy curtains, my only major complaint is the cost and quality of food. After one dinner with Slam's Garden, I went exploring and found numerous cheaper options around the island. Sometimes the difference was half the cost. The island is a minute big. For some Westerners we have Targets and malls that are bigger than this island. Walk about.

Malapascua Tips:
1. Bring a Torch
This is a rural island. A flashlight comes in handy to avoid tripping and stepping into puddles when walking about.

2. Diving
I dived with Thresher Shark Divers, the dives offered unique encounters, but the life was not abundant. Some divers were disappointed.

3. Affordable Dining
There is an alleyway next to Thresher Shark Divers that heads towards the village. When you reach the first pathway turn right for cheaper dining options. There are more on the island if you look about, but this is a starting place.

4. Getting There
Add at least an hour to the length of the bus ride. Ceres is a reputable bus company. Unless you are taking the first bus or traveling on a fairly cool day, I recommend the air-con bus. As we approached 11 am riding the non-air bus started to become uncomfortable.

Negotiating the boat ride across is the sole reason I will never return to Malapascua again. For budget travelers who consider booking transport through their lodging steep, find a way to pay. If I had to do it again, I would still take the bus, but arrange the boat crossing with the hotel. The ticket booth and the boat captain are working together to charge as much as possible for the transfer across. This is a real problem during low season when there are not as many tourist passengers. I specify tourist, because the locals are crossing for minimal to free. The tourist are paying for their transit.

The public boat is 80 pesos.
The captain charged an extra 200 pesos after attempting 300 pesos.
The low tide transfer was 20 pesos, but it is ALWAYS low tide.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends