“A model motel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dargaville
North East England, United Kingdom
“A model motel”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This pleasing little place is the way motels should be......A warm friendly feeling when booking over the phone with a free 0800 call; an equally warm welcome on arrival from a helpful proprietor; well swept and tidy car park leading to a neat, clean and comfortable room; lots of hot water, good towels and bedding; keen prices; and a cheerful farewell in the morning. At $NZ110 it's a very fair offer.
True, the building is far from new. It's seen life but maintenance is good, the decor recent and the furniture comfy even if it is showing its age somewhat.
The offered and advertised 'full' kitchen isn't quite...there is no traditional oven: the space where it once was sits empty. And there's no frying pan to use on the handy two ring stove top. So that steak or nice fillet of fish you just bought in anticipation of that full kitchen can't be baked or fried!
The motel sits at the very end of Victoria Street which is the main shopping street in town. This makes the motel address sound more town-centreish than it is. There's a road junction a few metres further on and the noise of occasional accelerating trucks could, possibly, be a problem to some.
Countdown has a supermarket about two minutes drive away where there are also a few traditional town centre food shops hanging onto life alongside the usual array of fast food places and bottle shops.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are likely to avoid more of the little road noise there is.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shipyardtales

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a very good experience in Dargaville Motel. The rooms aren't modern, but are very clean and very spacious. The owner is a super nice local man, we spoke to him quite a bit and he showed us his garden and helped us with our laundry and plans. I believe we paid $100, we felt it was definitely worth it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here 1 night and were pleased with the room for a quick stopover. It was spotlessly clean, nice shower and fluffy towels. The owner was friendly and showed us his kauri trees. It is a bit out of town, but we cooked our own dinner with the basic cooking facilities - no problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rebeccadiver
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The motel is pleasantly located near the river and open parkland, but it is a bit run down and dated. Having said that everything is very clean and well maintained, and the room we had was bright and airy, on the end of the block one floor up.
There are no shops within easy walking distance. We were recommended to go to Jo's cafe for our evening meal. We decided to walk, but it was at least 20 mins each way. Our meal there was satisfactory.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris P
Auckland
Reviewed October 31, 2010

This is the classic kiwi motel. Concrete block walls, formica table (brown grain) and vinyl covered steel chairs, simple kitchenette and bathroom.

We stayed here because we wanted go see the river. None of the other places had views at all. View was out the kitchen windows however!! Still a view is a view.

Traffic wasn't a problem but you can hear it. Clean and tidy. It is what it is. If you want bells and whistles go somewhere else. If you want basic kiwiana at an ok price stay here.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Kiwiguyz
Auckland
Reviewed December 15, 2008

My partner and I did not enjoy our stay here at all and will not be recommending this place to any of our family or friends. $95 per night for 1 queen & 1 single beds.

The motel is very dated. Definately 1960's style. The only good thing about this place was the hygiene. It was definately clean and tidy on arrival. No outdoor areas (i.e. picnic tables) though there was a BBQ available to use.

The motel is just off the main road - so traffic could be heard from the highway throughout the night. It's also right next to some sort of park, we were awoken at 3am by loud drunk voices of men walking through this park.

The kitchen has no microwave. Cooking utensils are minimal. I wanted to cook a breakfast of poached eggs (signs in the room stated that any strong cooking smells could incurr a $100 cleaning fee). The cupboards contained only 2 pots. I went to the office to ask for a Fish Slice and pan - the owner proceeded to give me a lecture about how I need to ensure every window in the room is open to ensure the odour of my poached eggs does not get me a $100 fee?! I then began worrying about the odour of my toast :-/ She then said I was not allowed to use a pan and to try using one of the two pots supplied in the room. I've never tried poaching eggs in a pot without a Fish Slice. I tried scrambled eggs instead.

The milk provided in the fridge expired on 14/11/08 - I was there on 14/12/08. I went to the office again to ask for milk that had not passed its expiry date - I then found that the milk they gave me as 'replacement' also had expired on 14/11/08. I again went back to the office and had a jug of milk shoved at me.

I do not recommend staying here. There are a few other places in Dargaville to stay - places that have nice outdoor areas and even pools for around the same price. Definately recommend shopping around.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location, rude service, dated decor, lack of outdoor areas, signs in room (STONG COOKING SMELLS WILL INCUR $100 FEE. CHECKOUT DEALINE IS 10AM).
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Standard motel accommodation. With friendly owners, this 1960s-style accommodation was very clean and tidy. Room had advantage of kitchenette.

Disadvantage was that rooms looked out onto public park (when we were there, there were a couple of council vehicles stored in the park) - and it can be a bit disconcerting discovering you have neighbours as you are getting out of the shower at 7AM!

Centre of town was also a fair distance (you would have to drive to visit a restaurant or shop for groceries).

All in all, accommodation was fine for what it was (motel in rural service town).

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple