“Pure Indulgence!”

Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
Ranked #53 of 400 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had the privilege of being asked to stay here whilst we were at the El Dorado this year. it was the opening weekend so not everything was ready, but we didn't care as we could still use all the facilities of El Dorado. The rooms are spectacular and immaculately furnished. we had a swim up room (highly recommended). The staff are truly amazing, they cannot do enough for you. We had the honour of meeting the owner Senior Martinez, what a down to earth guy who is truly inspiring( your staff are a credit too you), you could see him all round the site with his red baseball cap on.
We ate most nights at Jade what an experience, I had the Chillied Prawns every time and every time they were different, as the Chef was trying to perfect the dish, this is how dedicated the staff are to give you a culinary experience.
This hotel will be the jewel in the crown for El Dorado resorts.
Really hope to be able to go back one day.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, swim up rooms are great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leon M
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Leon M,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us during our opening weekend and we look forward to many more stays with us in the future.

Best regards from everyone at Generations Riviera Maya,

Alejandro Lopez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,847)

Reviewed August 2, 2014

One month after the hotel opened we spent a week there.

I didn't expect that they would have it together in such a short time but they did.

Number one the staff was friendly, happy and responsive.

The hotel is passionate about their property and knew the right balance in being friendly
And showing care and involvement with its guests.

Our son wasn't feeling good upon arrival so they went out of their way to reach out to him and us for
Support and good wishes.

Smiling Luis greeted us every morning at breakfast and the general manager was engaging as well.

The property is kept immaculate, constant cleaning.

The staff was proud of the resort and their jobs and it was apparent.

The suite beautiful, large, clean and well stocked.
Again my evaluation is that a very good organization got this resort up and running and they must be commended in doing so.

The food was fresh of good taste and nicely composed.
I do think that there is some work to be done in the evening restaurants to make the offerings more universal and complimentary to the settings.

Again nothing but the highest regard for the service and employees.

So we are going back this upcoming week to enjoy an important family summer trip.

I have only the most positive thoughts that this stay will be even more special there as they
Have had many months of hospitality and service under their belts since the opening.

We are looking forward to seeing the smiling faces and staying at a property that truly believes in
Service and their clients.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Charles L

Dear Charles L,

Thank your for sharing your previous experience with us and for all your kind words regading the service and staff, I hope we have an opportunity to encounter each other during your current stay.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Due to a flight cancellation after a bird strike our travel company sent us to Generations to stay the night while the plane was repaired for our return flight the next day. I will avoid any of that drama in this review.

We had just left a Presidential Suite with a roof top terrace at Hard Rock Riviera Maya so my expectations were running pretty high as far as the room was concerned. I found the room to be very comfortable with a neat vibe and a lot of great amenities and great size. The bathroom was real neat and I loved the shower from the roof. The sitting area with separate TV was nice with another set in sleeping area. We were put in a second floor room that had the splash pool which is a very interesting concept as they have swim out suites on the first three floors. Yes that means swim out suite up in the air. The only negative I thought about for the upper floor swim out suites was people throwing water out of their swim up suites and down to the pool. I saw this take place and thought of it as a great way to ruin a drink that you are enjoying in the pool.

The food quality was very good and like the many seafood options that they had. Granted I did not eat their a lot but the food that I had had good character and a lot of flavor. These can be lost many times at all-inclusives but they did a good job with even a buffet lunch.

The beach seems to be an evolving process with the placement of a lot of concrete to protect the beach more. This appears to me to be something that will create a protected beach area like they have at HRRM. The pool was very large and they were able to have activities while allowing for other to enjoy the swim-up bar and relax away for the activities if they chose to.

Of the dislikes that I noticed was the detachment of the main lobby from the actual resort. This caused some confusion and problems with luggage and guest services. I did not really understand this as access to transportation for day activities off of the resort were only accessible by a golf cart ride past a large lagoon area. The other thing that I noticed was that the place seems to nickel and dime you to death. I noticed fees for Wi-Fi, room service and even some of the daily activities like zumba or spinning classes. This made me think that if I was to book this place I had better take into consideration the hidden costs if I was cost shopping this resort against others.

Room Tip: Try one of the swim out suites even on the upper floors
2  Thank TheLegend_11
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear TheLegend_11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your short-experience with us, it is a shame it was due to an unfortunate event that you had to stay with us however it is our pleasure to have guests over even if it is for such shorts periods since we are just making a name for ourselves.

The beach like you mention is a work in progress, once the structures go underwater, they will replace the sandbags, protect the beach and become the largest artificial reef in the world. A long but worthy process.

Thank you once again and we hope you give Generations Riviera Maya another chance to impress you.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

so the resort is brand new, I really liked that part. Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with this place per say but room for improvement for our next stay here.
Rooms are fab, love the outdoor showers and being able to get to the pool and beach in about 2 minutes. Staff amazing,cant say enough nice things, My butler Urania was great.
Ok so they need more snacks for the kiddos, like goldfish, cheez its in the rooms and at bars. Also things like popsicles and ice cream. A few more activities for the kids too.
Ok now for the food, the outdoor grill is good but not enough choices and if you are here for a week or so it gets kind of old. Chefs market does need some improving but I know its still new.
The restaurants are beautiful, the sushi was really good. The rest was good I think relatively speaking. If you are from New York or Houston the food will not compare. They for sure could and should use a better overall quality of beef for steaks and so on. The place is great and I will go back and cant wait to see the improvements.

Room Tip: I like the higher up rooms and if you have more than 2 kids ask for a 2 bedroom.
2  Thank Amy G

Dear Amy G,

On behalf of everyone at Generations Riviera Maya I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay with us. Your comments and suggestions have been well received and will considered in order to make improvementsand achieve the perfect vacation experience for all our guests.

We look forward to hosting your holidays again.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I enjoyed this resort so much the first time I came in April that I wanted to get back quickly enough before the rates go too high because it's such a nice resort. Mr Lopez, the butler staff and all of the rest of the crew were eager to welcome me back and provided unmatched service and upgrades for me. Many little things have been finished since I was last there and there and it was nice to see everything completed. It appears the new F&B manager has a tighter grasp on things and that area has improved upon what was already very good. I saw another review knocking the butler staff and I think that person must have stayed at a different resort. The butler staff here is the best around and I can't thank them enough for their great service. Thanks to all of you for another great vacation! I hope to get back next year with more of my family.

I still love the pool swimout!

Room Tip: All are ocean front, I prefer the pool swimout
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank BigBruno
GM G, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2014

Dear Mr. Big Bruno

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on trip advisor, we do appreciate your time and loyalty to Generations Riviera Maya.
All the Butler staff and the Generations Riviera Maya crew is already looking forward to your 3rd visit in a row, and we will make sure you are trated even better tan your second trip with us.
As for now we are still having more improvements that you will love on your next visit.

Have a great day

Alan del Blanco

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had a wonderful time here for four nights with our four year old son. The staff are fantastic. There's always someone nearby and they are happy to help you out with any request. Fabi, Oscar, Lilian, Victor, Luiz and many others were so friendly and helpful. The facility is very new with gorgeous rooms. The overhead rain shower head in the bathroom is luxurious!

The restaurants had delicious food, much better than most all inclusives. There are several restaurants for adults only at the sister resort next door, but you should make reservations! Even with the resort full the on site dining locations were never packed.

The kids club has a great selection of toys and activities for children. I was reluctant at first to leave my son there but the staff took great care of him and he had so much fun while my husband and I enjoyed a few hours to ourselves now and then.

The beach is the only thing I can say was a little disappointing. Beautiful sand and water, but they have these huge ugly concrete structures that help break up the powerful surf and are creating an artificial reef. I guess they're a necessity but you'd hope they'd be more attractive to the eye. Don't let this turn you off, just a heads up. The huge pool is wonderful and you can still enjoy a long stretch of sand and water at the beach including plenty of beds and chairs. The excursions were all geared towards older children, which we pretty much expected.

3  Thank BobbyinFrisco
GM G, Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2014

Dear Bobbyinfrisco

Thank you for such a compliment on your review and your time to share your experience with other fellow travelers. It is with pleasure that I read all the great time you spent with us along with your family.
We are about to complete our Project with the artificial reef in a few months and this will help to improve the beach view.
Fabi, Oscar, Lilian, Victor, Luiz and all the staff at Generations Riviera Maya are looking forward to your return trip soon.

Best Regards!

Alan del Blanco
GM

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Ignore the naysayers! This is a lovely resort where everyone treats you well! Oscar is amazing! Amazing! He helped with everything, everyday. Staff couldn't be friendlier. Food was fine every place we ate, some people are never happy! I'm typing this on a lounge chair at the bar. David the bartender works his butt off as did all the servers. My swim up room is exactly what was advertised, clean, modern and beautifully decorated! Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Swim up room! You get a bit water saturated but who cares!
4  Thank A J
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Dear Annette T,

Thanks for a great review! I hope Generations lived up to the expectations.

I look forward to seeing you again for another special celebration.