“You are treated like welcome family”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 4, 2011

The staff is amazing and turnover rate is amazingly low. We have been visiting for years and always feel genuinally welcome. The food quality is better than ever and always plentiful. We
found they did accept reservations next door so if you wanted a change it was little hassle (except for having to put clothes on). Dining nude with the warm caribbean breezes caressing you is an incredible experiance! The clientle is very mellow and accepting of all states of dress and undress.
The recent renovation fixed some of the little problems that some people experianced, but
we missed the character of the original rooms..artistic tile, room dividers, high beds with drapes, quirky little touches..but the improved ac, tv, and an ipod dock were all on the plus side. For some reason the floats at the pool were taken away. All in all, HBR is the best experiance of its type, and we hope to return as soon as possible. Going back to real life is exceedingly difficult.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Traveled to Hidden Beach Resort with spouse and friends. We arrived Feb 12th and stayed 6 days/5 nights (not long enough). Weather was good, mid to high 70's ( F) during the days, but cooler at night (mid 50's). Hotel has been completely remodeled and is beautiful. We had a swim up suite, which was very convenient. The staff was very friendly and could not do enough for the guests. Food was very good and plentiful. Had an awesome Valentines dinner at Hidden Beach and went to Eldorado next door for dinner several evenings. Met some great friends from all over playing volleyball and hanging out in the hot tubs. Couples massages are a must (we enjoyed two) and the nude cruise/snorkel was a blast. Definitely will return in the near future and stay longer next time.

3  Thank NightHerons

Reviewed February 17, 2011

My husband and I have been to HBR a couple of times and decided after hearing about the renovations to go back again. Since there are many reviews now posted I will only comment on what was not already said or elaborate on other comments already made.

We found the food to be about the same, some dishes were really wonderful and some were tasteless. Unlike in the past, you can no longer make reservations for the restaurants at El Dorado, so the wait can be very long or none depending on the night and the restaurant.

The lunch BBQ was a bit of a disappointment. Mostly burgers, chicken and pasta salad, the fish was limited, and dry. (Proteins were partially grilled and set aside, then reheated and served). I spotted someone with a grilled salmon fillet and was told there was no more, but I was only about the 5th person in line for the lunch BBQ when it started. We prefer to order off the a-la-carte menu most days and supplement with vegetables or green salad off the BBQ buffet. The food is prepared fresh and the selection was more to our liking.

The dinner menu at HBR has many similar items as the El Dorado menus and the service is remarkably better. Thank you Porfirio for the wonderful special dessert you had prepared for us on our last night. It was phenomenal.

We booked a swim-up room but could not get 7 nights so they were to move us the last two nights to a second floor room. What they didn't tell us was that we would have to check out at noon and wait until 3PM to check into the new room. My husband and I found this unacceptable, and politely made that clear. We received a call shortly thereafter that our second floor room was available and a bellman was immediately sent over to move all our things from one room to another.

The swim-up bathroom had a slight odor of sewer occasionally when flushed, but it was a vast improvement from the past. The second floor room was more spacious, less damp and had no odor at all.

All hotel services, massage, spa services etc are subject to an additional service charge. Be aware and ask for total cost if you intend to book.

Hot tub temperatures varied from very hot to luke-warm each afternoon. We spoke with Manual and he did achieve in getting it adjusted before that evening. The pool was still very cold, we were told they are still testing the heating system, I am doubtful that we will see an improvement though.

Internet service was greatly improved, we were able to get wireless by the pool almost always, in our second floor room with no problem, and only on and off in the swim-up.

Regarding slippery surfaces, these have always been an issue. My husband bought me a pair of Havaianas after the last visit (flip flops with good tread), and I had no problem with slipping, so be prepared.

Once again, the people we meet and the staff at HBR are the reasons we go back. Thank you Esperanza, Angel, Jesus, Porfirio, Carlos, Godino and all others I forgot to mention here. We love you all!

2  Thank twowinsny
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Best regards

Reviewed February 16, 2011

Just returned from a very relaxing vacation at Hidden Beach. They just underwent a big renovation, and I have to say the place is really lovely. The rooms are nice and big, wonderful bed, double jacuzzi tub in the suite and our room even had a balcony (no furniture though). The staff is very nice and wants to cater to all of your needs and always with a smile. Carlos the bartender and Esperanza the wonderful person who always has a smile and takes you your drinks on the beach are FABULOUS! The food here and at El Dorado right next door was unbelievably fantastic. I have only one major complaint about this place. It rained almost every night we were there, and the ceramic tile outside the rooms becomes as slick as ice. I fell one evening flat on my back and was and am still in a lot of pain. When we relayed the incident to management the response was, "oh, do you need medical attention?" which i was not interested in seeking in Mexico. (no insurance, don't know the Dr. or hospital and i was not bleeding from the head fortunately). I felt that they could have been a little more interested in my well being and would do something about the slick tile, but i did not get a positive response when I made these suggestions. So my advice is, if you go and it rains, walk in baby steps and be ready to catch yourself if you slip.

5  Thank gfl29forever

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Staff was great.........all of them. Rooms have just been updated and they are exceptional. Barbara (event director) keeps things moving throughout the day and gives lots of opportunities to meet others if you are shy. Unlike Breezes (Au Natural) in Jamaica, this resort is clothing optional. It is nice to dress for dinner and theme night if you want and be naked the rest of the day. Or be naked all the time. You will be comfortable whatever you decide. Daily water volleyball is a blast. Rules are way different but very entertaining. Definately go on the nude cruise (check with Manuel). It was the best day ever. Snorkling, BBQ on the beach (beach all to your self), staff on this cruise was excellent and food was awesome. Pepe will not allow your drink to be empty.....ever. :-)

Things you need to know.....Dont use the ATM at the resort next door unless you have to. Although it stated the fee was $5.75, it was $26.00 plus. Since the resort doesn't own the ATM it is impossible to get the over charge corrected and your bank cant do anything because the charge comes across as part of the withdrawl you made.

The food next door is great with wonderful presentation. With that being said, it takes 1.5 to 2 hours to eat every night. All of the food is what I consider fru fru. It is pretty, not much of it, and takes forever to complete the 4-5 course meal. The service at Hidden Beach is much faster but same type of food. Room service is 24/7 and is the kind of food I prefer. Hamburgers, sandwiches, fries, etc. (menu is on the Hidden Beach TV channel) Lunch by the pool is usually hamburgers, grilled chicken, veggies, fries, etc. Breakfast is typical, yogurt, fruit, cheeses, omelets, etc.

I believe the odor some people complain of is the plastic seal that is on the shower and bathroom doors. It kind of reminds me of asparagus/plastic. It is not overwhelming. You can only smell it when you are in the bathroom or shower.....at least in our room and we are both very olfactory sensitive.

LADIES........WARNING......DO NOT wear your sterling silver in the hot tub or pool. Something they put in the water eats your jewlery to the bare metal. It does not affect gold jewlery at all.

As a side note---if you havent rented a car in Mexico in the last few years, I would beware. It is fairly cheap on line but when you get there, they either put at 4800.00 hold on your credit card or make you take the 35.00/day insurance (which is more than the daily rental charge). Also they hold your car hostage until they can badger you into agreeing to spending 2 hours listening to time share stuff for another hotel. It took us 2 hours to get our car. We finally agreed to go, but didnt, just so we could leave.

Great vacation. We will return with friends we made while we were there.

6  Thank maxifactor

Reviewed February 12, 2011

Room made us sick, last day found heavy black mold behind bathroom door mirror
Ordered shrimp cocktail from room service....they would only bring nachos.. mgmt later was confrontation and said there were health regulations involved.???
What once was free is no longer... not really all inclusive. .. paper inserts in menu such as Lamb $35 extra. Lobster was $40..
Hot tub was was warm enough and we , meaning the majority of the guest made frequent request which were ignored.
Bar staff was often understaffed. Ex. 28 of us partying in hot tub at 5 pm and only one bartender who was new and had to cover bar and us.
Massage bill was incorrect and again mgmt was confrontational and unable to comprehend. Could go on and on..but.
and to end on a positive note.. the service people were excellent and friendly.

12  Thank Yeyf

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us at Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay at our Hidden Beach Resort. All comments and feedback of our valued guests is truly appreciated as we want to maintain the highest standard of service.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you once more at our Hotel; please feel free to contact us prior arrival.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Overall, my review of HBR is very positive. I plan to return some time and I would recommend it to others. The service and cuisine were very good (almost always excellent), the resort is beautiful and the other guests were very warm and friendly.

The caveat: This was my first visit to Mexico, first visit to an "au naturel" resort, and first visit to an all-inclusive resort. Obviously, my ability to compare HBR with similar establishments is limited to nil. However, I have traveled quite a bit and I am familiar with fine hotels, good cuisine and a high level of service.

Context: My wife and I visited for 7 days. We are professionals in our early 30's. As I indicated above, this was our first all-inclusive vacation and our first nude resort. The weather during our visit was good: sunny and hot every day, only raining on the last night before our return flight. The resort was at or very close to full capacity. I believe it was fully booked for the last half of our stay.

Rooms: We had an upper-level room without a balcony, located relatively close to the pool. Our room was well decorated and well furnished. Our mini-bar was re-stocked with liquor, beer and water bottles daily (on the one or two occasions when we ran out of something we simply called 24-hour room service for more). There was a recent renovation and everything in the room was new. The room had a large shower and double-size jacuzzi tub. I agree with another reviewer that the shower floor was somewhat slippery, which was exacerbated by an unusually sharp angle toward the drain. We remedied this by using the non-slip mat and had no problems. The room had no unpleasant odor. Upon our arrival and each day since it was lightly scented, just as you would expect in any fine hotel. However, on our departure day I overheard another guest complain that sewer gas had seeped into his room. He was in a lower-level room at one of the ends (away from the pool). It had rained hard the night before and my guess is that that drainage/sewage system was pushed to capacity, resulting in a back-up. I have no idea how frequent this is, what the resort is doing to fix this, or how soon it will be fixed, but if you are booking a lower-level room it wouldn't hurt to ask. I found our upper-level room to be perfect for our needs, and I would probably not pay more for a lower-level room when I return.

Resort Property: The resort property is very well-maintained with a large amount of green foliage. It is a small complex, which I experienced as positive because I did not waste time getting from place to place. In addition to chairs there are beach beds along the beach and one or two on the pool deck as well, plus a few hammocks in two different locations. The Seaside Suites Resort (SSR) is on the same property, located only a few steps from the well-guarded wall that divides the two resorts. Getting to and from SSR was quick and easy -- for all practical purposes it is one resort and we had no trouble at all walking over to use the sauna, restaurants, store, etc. (except that we had to put on clothes). As other reviewers have stated, the beach at HBR is not good quality. The sand is coarse and under the water the ground is rocky. I recommend water shoes if you're planning to play in the ocean. On the other hand, the number of beach beds, chairs and palapas is quite good in proportion to the number of guests. I didn't hear of anyone who wanted a beach bed doing without. On warm sunny days it was quite pleasant to relax on the beach. Because the resort is so small the beach was never loud or congested. The pool is a good size for the resort, and has the usual swim-up bar. HBR doesn't have a lap pool, but SSR does. There are two large hot tubs which easily accommodate two dozen people each.

Cuisine: Almost all of our dining experiences were hits, with a few misses. HBR has one restaurant. Seaside Suites Resort (SSR) has several, which I will refer to by name. Other than breakfast we got dressed and strolled over to SSR for most of our meals. For breakfast we usually chose the fastest and simplest option: buffet breakfast at HBR (a la carte breakfast was also available). We had two meals that we didn't like at HBR -- one dinner that was so-so, and one lunch that was downright poor. Most of our dinners were over at SSR. Our favorite was Mia Casa (Italian) which we visited twice. Mia Casa consistently cranked out top-notch service and cuisine. We also had an excellent dinner at Klay Talay (east Asian, a must-try for sushi lovers). At Vida Garden Grill we had one excellent breakfast, one excellent lunch, and one good dinner (one of the main courses was somewhat different from the menu description). On a couple of afternoons we snacked at the Sandwicherie, which serves up simple but consistently good light meals and snacks (sandwiches, fries, etc.) As a special promotion we were offered the candle-light dinner on the beach at no extra charge. We did this on the HBR side and our menu and wine were picked in advance through the front desk staff (extra charge for wine if it is not the house wine). Our soups, salads, mains (beef tenderloin) and desserts were excellent and it was a great experience overall. Finally, on the HBR side there was a daily BBQ in addition to the regular lunch menu. This was a quick and easy lunch or snack option, although the offerings varied from day-to-day (one day it was a spectacular spread of grilled ribs, some kind of roasted pork, salmon etc., another day it was run-of-the-mill grilled meats with tortillas).

Entertainment: On the HBR side the days followed a pattern which became very comfortable. The entertainment staff started up water aerobics around mid-day, plus some kind of silly game or activity later in the afternoon. At present these are led by Barbara, who has the energy and attitude of a camp counselor (for better and worse). These activities usually attracted a small number of participants. In the middle of the afternoon the pool volleyball began. This was one of the most popular activities. Later in the afternoon guests started to congregate in the hot tub by the pool, where a large group often remained until a bit after sunset. There was no activity per se in the hot tub, just a lot of very friendly naked people mingling over drinks. There was nightly entertainment at the Moonlight Palapa -- either a live band or a live show on the stage (magic show one night, traditional Mexican dancers another night), followed by a DJ. The live bands and DJ's consistently played 60's and 70's pop/rock hits. I did not realize that there would be a costume theme (mardi gras, pirate, lingerie, etc.) and didn't come prepared, although most guests were in the same boat. Attire at the disco ranged from elaborate risque costumes to regular outfits to bathrobes to absolutely nothing -- everybody wore what he/she wanted. On a couple of occasions we checked out the entertainment on the SSR side. We saw a very energetic and risque dance show reminiscent of Vegas, and one night we opted for the movie on the beach (actually next to the beach in a comfortable love seat, which was fine by me).

Service: Except for one meal (lunch at the HBR restaurant with an inept waiter), the service was extremely good throughout. All of the regular serving staff at HBR knew our names and favorite drinks a few days into our stay. We made frequent use of the 24-hour room service for little things like morning coffee, extra water bottles or a bucket of ice. In addition to the swim-up bar the serving staff made regular rounds on the beach, pool deck and hot tubs. Essentially, we never wanted for anything, at least not for long. Service on the SSR side was equally professional, although less personal because we weren't seeing the same people over and over.

The People/Being Naked/Overall Feel: In regard to age, we were the youngest there, but not by a large margin. A younger couple arrived a day before we went home. As far as I saw all of the other guests were male-female couples in long-term relationships, mostly middle-age or older, with a few like ourselves in their 30's. I have no idea if there were any swingers but I saw no evidence of it. I didn't find any of the guests to be creepy and there was no overt sexual activity in the common areas. Many of the guests had been going to nude resorts for years and shared information and tips. Most of the guests were naked most of the time, but there is no mandatory nudity rule, nor any implicit pressure to dress or undress. I never saw anyone wearing clothes in the pool or hot tub. Other than that, people covered or uncovered themselves according to the situation and their own comfort. Although, I must say that if I saw someone wearing clothes all the time I would have been suspicious. For someone who has never been to a nude resort before, I can say that my experience was extremely relaxing and much more social than other vacations. Naked people seem to be friendlier with each other. I saw one or two couples who seemed very shy and stayed away from the social spaces like the pool and hot tub. I think HBR would be wasted on those folks -- if you just want to be naked by yourself in private, you can already do that at home for free.

11  Thank torontomonster