“What's so great about HBR?”

GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“What's so great about HBR?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We are just back from 11 days at HBR 5/3 to 5/14 2014. This was our second trip and we decided to return for the 11th Anniversary party. Our travel agent took care of reservations and provided transportation to and from HBR as part of the package. We thought the Lincoln Navigator was cool on our last visit. We were very surprised when the stretch limo was our transportation this time. What a way to start and end a vacation! The only way to travel.

So what is so great about HBR?
Employees.
(Wait staff) Aniceto, Jesus, Angel and Galdino. They are the most friendly and attentive. Within a very short the know your name even if its your first visit. At times when we asked for something not on the menu or did not want part of the meal it was no trouble. (Pool Bar) there was Carlos excellent service and a great sense of humor, Jasmin would circulate between the bar and beach taking your drink orders.
(Front office and reception) America most helpful in all matters.
Cleanliness.
The resort is kept exceptionally clean everywhere and maintained. Of note the buildings had a new coat of paint since our last visit in October 2013. Rooms are cleaned daily and everything in working order.
All meals was very good. Breakfast and lunch can be a-la-cart or ordered. The portion sizes are moderate which I prefer. If you wish more just ask. Lunch is also available by the pool-side grill. Grilled seafood, chicken, steak, burgers and salads. Their soup each day was a must for me. Additional dining in the evening is available next door. There are Mexican, Italian, Asian Fusion, International and a Pub.

The 11th anniversary was celebrated with a sit down dinner poolside. In addition a pastry table and pudding deserts. The entertainment was provided during dinner and later in the moonlight palapa. Being a veterans of many GL Braco anniversary parties we can say HBR was excellent.

There are several daily activities, pool volleyball occurring the most. The rules are few the ball can be hit many times before it crosses the net. Having fun being the prime objective. For the anniversary there was a Staff vs the Guest volleyball game, best of three. The staff won: my sides hurt from laughing so much, and I was only watching.
The gym is air conditioned, bottled water and towels on hand. Not that I ever used it, there is a scale in the gym.

I managed to finish three books with naps included. Evening entertainment occurs at the moonlight palapa. Live music, DJ or some kind of party. Moderate attendance most nights. Don’t know what you are looking for from a resort these are our priorities. Hope you have a good time.

Room Tip: If you have a swim up room. The water bottle top over the latch for the slider prevents locking your...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank MrRetiredFlorida
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, November 25, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

gm@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

We just returned from our 4th trip to HBR. This resort continues to impress. Each time we go there are updates that make this a wonderful place to stay. As great as the facilities are, it's truly the staff that makes it shine. The morning crew waits on you like you can't even imagine...thank you Angel, Anecito, and Jesus. In the evening, Porfirio, Galdino, and all the rest make you feel like the world revolves around you. Well done gents! And of course, the daytime revolves around the bar staff. I have never seen any harder workers that Carlos and Esperanza. They enjoy what they do and it shines through with unbelievable service and dedication to making your stay magical.

Again, my thanks to the entire staff at HBR for providing a great place to relax, have fun, and enjoy the sunshine.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gogon

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed from April 19-26. We flew into Cancun, arriving mid-afternoon. There were a few other flights arriving about the same time which made for quite a crowd. As a result, baggage delivery was slow but immigration and customs were surprisingly efficient.

We contracted with Lomas travel for our transfer to the resort. We couldn’t be happier with the service. Our driver did move swiftly but safely. The Lincoln Navigator kept us in air-conditioned comfort and allowed us to start winding down prior to arrival at the resort about 75 minutes later. A tip for the driver of $20 US is appropriate.

Once at the resort we were greeted with a cool drink while our luggage was unloaded and we checked in. The check-in process was easy and we were on the way to our room within ten minutes.

Room choice at the resort is truly a personal preference. Even the base suites are quite luxurious. The ground-floor rooms give you walk-out capability right to the “lazy river”. Or, if you prefer the feeling of security provided by an upper level, your room will not disappoint. The dome suites are a bit unusual as they have a high ceiling with a windowed dome on top that lets in some unique light. The dome suite we had last year also had a balcony. Note that most upper level rooms do not have balconies but it all seems minor given that your time in the room is likely to be small. So my advice is to simply weigh your preferences against the relative prices…you can’t make a mistake.

Our room was in top-notch condition and was immaculately clean. We have a habit (driven by less savory experiences at other Caribbean locations) of checking bedding and drawers/closets for creepy crawlers prior to unpacking our clothes. Not only did we not find any evidence of insects, we couldn’t even see any dust or anything that was other than spotless. The card in our room said that “Miriam” took care of our room. I never met her, but her perfect service made our stay all that more enjoyable. On two occasions we returned to our room to find a bubble bath waiting for us in the Jacuzzi and mood music playing through the TV. Gracias, Miriam! The entire resort is kept to a high degree of cleanliness and a high standard of maintenance. It just adds to the comfort and overall feeling of well-being that comes from a stay at HBR.

The staff are well trained in the art of service and in making guests feel welcome. Everyone we passed on the walkways throughout the week greeted us. This included the maintenance workers and guest service staff alike. The staff will literally jump to help you. One day I was trying to re-position the umbrella near our poolside lounge chairs when suddenly one of the landscape workers ran over to move the umbrella base for me. I was stunned and expressed my gratitude in my best, unfortunately broken, effort at Spanish.

Many other TripAdvisor reviews of HBR will describe just how good and varied the food is. My thoughts are no different. Dinner portions are somewhat smaller than US standards but if you have an appetizer, soup or salad, entrée and dessert you will be happy. The menu at the HBR restaurant provides enough delicious dinner variety for a week’s worth of dinners. Each night also brings some special offerings. We went to the Italian restaurant “Mia Casa” on the El Dorado side on two nights. I had the osso-bucco each time as it was exceptionally good. I found the house wines at dinner to be perfectly acceptable, but other wines are available at extra cost if you should want that. Breakfast at HBR gives you all the options you could ever want. The made-to-order omelets are delicious. For lunch there was usually a choice of a poolside buffet or a served lunch in the restaurant. Each is good and I suggest trying each as your mood suits you. Most days also featured a late afternoon snack buffet near the hot tub. Normally I would never indulge that way but hey, this was vacation and it was good.
The rooms are stocked daily with sealed bottled water and there is plenty for all needs. I used some tap water for tooth-brushing and also sampled some of the herbal infused water offered at dinner with no ill effects. I also consumed drinks that were likely made with ice and likewise had no ill effect. I suggest that everyone use their own judgment here. I saw many people drinking bottled water at meals.

The restaurant wait staff lives up to HBR standards. I would like to recognize a few individuals that provided us multiple exceptional services. Jesus has this wonderful smile that absolutely lights up the room. Angel works especially hard to make sure that your every need is met without exception. Aniceto (I hope I spelled that correctly) took the time to give my wife mini-Spanish lessons, at her request, as he served each item of our orders. And, at the Italian restaurant on the El Dorado side, Miguel provided service that was on par with the best of five star restaurants.

Another hard worker is Esperanza who spends her day providing poolside and beachside drink service as we lounge around. She is tireless, or at least she never shows it, and always seems to be carrying a tray of drinks to some lucky guests while wearing a perpetual smile.

My wife and I were among the small minority of guests that actually used the gym facilities each morning. There are treadmills and stationary bicycles along with free weights and a few various resistance-type machines. These were adequate to get the blood flowing each day and help shed a few calories. A few suggestions here include: 1) It would help if the treadmills faced the TVs so that the TV could readily be watched while spending 20-30 minutes on those machines and, 2) the rolled up mats are very thin and do not provide much cushioning for any floor exercises; thicker, more cushioned mats would be a simple welcome improvement.

We and most guests spend the majority of the time on the beach or at the pool. The pool is the hub for daytime activity. I would like to give special recognition to the activity director, “Aldo”. He kept us in high spirits with pool volley-ball and other fun games. He played volleyball with us then would organize the other activities. Pool volleyball at HBR is special. It has its own version of the rules like, you can hit the ball as many times as you want as long as it doesn’t touch the water or go out of bounds. Another rule calls for drinking a shot of tequila for “spiking the ball on a lady”. I had to comply with that one on a number of occasions while getting hoots and hollers from the other players all in good fun. That and the special rule of “double chi-chis” gives the ladies an advantage and adds to the fun. There is also “rule number seven” that you will have to experience for yourself. Watching a bunch of naked men and women splashing around and laughing while hitting a volleyball is quite the sight. My wife, who does not frequently play volleyball, thought that the pool volleyball takes up too much of the day and occupies most of the pool to the exclusion of non-players. She may have a point as we tended to play four or five games in each of the morning and afternoon volleyball sessions. So, perhaps limiting the number of games to three in each of the morning and afternoon would allow the non-players to also use the relatively small pool.

You will see people of all shapes and sizes at HBR. The range of body shapes seems to represent the general population. There were no supermodels and no Mr Universe. Both men and women generally had body hair trimmed or at least groomed to some degree. The largest age representation of guests at HBR seemed to be baby-boomers but there were definitely some younger ones with a smaller number appearing to be in their 30s just having a great time. Although there is certainly a lot of bawdy fun and joking that occurs there is never a public display of sexual activity nor are any sexual advances acceptable.

There was some extra entertainment provided during dinner during this trip. There were some acrobatic, gymnastic type shows that included some erotic but strategically clothed routines. One night featured a mariachi band. The pool-party featured an exceptionally talented singer that performed a number of traditional Caribbean-style songs.

One of the evenings featured a glow party where a professional body-painter demonstrated his skill on anyone willing to try it. My wife and I each got painted. It was a lot of fun and the paint readily washed off in the shower.

There is probably more that I could write, but this review is long enough. Altogether, HBR provides one of the best vacations of my life. If anyone reading this would like more of my thoughts, feel free to contact me through TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: all rooms really are good. the disco area can get a bit loud and may disturb those in nearby rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
33 Thank J D

Morgantown, WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was our first time at this resort. We had a great time. We usually travel in a group, but this time we decided to spend our anniversary at Hidden Beach alone. Our place was in Jamaica and is no longer open as a A/N, so we have been searching for another "Our Place" We had a few minor issues at the resort but they were taken care of quickly. WE loved the grounds , The pool was awesome and so was Carlos....makes a pretty mean Bloody Ceaser. The food was great, I was worried about there only being one restaurant, but not to worry, there are so many things on the menu that you can have something different everyday and everything tastes wonderful, very upscale. The Entertainment staff was very interactive with all the guests. All the staff were great, Our room was always spotless. I am very happy that we went and will now work on the rest of our group.

Room Tip: We loved being on the ground floor, just a few steps away from everything
10 Thank cruiznfouls
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Katy, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Good grief this place is SO nice. We made a point to check the calendar to make sure there were no large groups going and had a ball.

Swim up room was perfect. Bar area pool was always a blast.

The beach beds were just awesome for snuggling at night and watching the stars.

Other guests were perfect ladies and gentlemen and thoroughly enjoyed every minute there.

Looks forward to returning soonest!

Room Tip: Get a swim-up room. Pace yourself with the excellent bar service and sun.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike D

Boston MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

OK, I just put this rating to get you attention. Hidden Beach is perfect and gets better every year but somehow Exotic has gone off the deep end in regard to their membership service and Concierge service. The Web site is also terrible.I can't use my PIN and can't get anybody to help me. Phone waits for over 45 min. I waited 45 min and when I complained they told me that I should be glad because others had waited longer WHAT??? Now I can't even log in. While we were at the resort 9 (yes 9) "managers" were in the bar taking notes to improve efficiency. Really? the bar staff are perfect. Fire the IT department.

13 Thank Burke108
Hcaminero, Customer Service at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. Thrilled about your positive experience at Hidden Beach Resort. It is always a pleasure to welcome you.

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during this technically difficulty. I invite you to try the portal once again– I suggest to click the Forgot User ID/Password link, and the information will be sent to you minutes after. Additionally, we have a new member portal which you can access once you are logged in.

I am surprised to learn you experienced longer than normal wait time during your call– our average wait is less than 1 minute.

Please contact us by phone or e-mail at memberservices@exotictravelers.com so that we can walk you through any necessary steps.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our first time at Hidden Beach Resort (HBR), and we concur with other reviewers who will tell you that HBR is a first-class operation. The grounds are well-kept, the rooms look first class, are comfy, everything works right throughout the entire resort, and everything is spotlessly clean. What was most impressive, however, was the quality of food and service. The staff is absolutely outstanding. When people say that, they really aren't lying. The staff is always friendly and extremely helpful, and every meal really was a gourmet delight. It will take you a long time just to read the menus. We found nothing at all to fault about the food or service. And the guests are the other ingredient that makes the experience great. They are all a bunch of happy people who greet you with a smile and in 15 minutes you are on a first-name basis with them. No sex perverts, just down-to-earth types who are there to relax and have fun. It becomes like a vacation with about 80 of your closest friends, and that just cannot be beat.

My big complaint is that the beach at HBR is just too "hidden." There is no way to get in the ocean water at HBR. You can put on a swimsuit and go next door to El Dorado, where you can swim in a nice excavated swimming area and go for a long clothed beach walk. Unfortunately, to do this you'll have to exit HBR, enter El Dorado, pick your way through thousands of beach lounges and then share the beach and ocean with all 2,000,000 guests at El Dorado. If that isn't bad enough, none of these people know how to smile. What a bunch of downers. Sheesh, we walked a mile and I don't think a single person even acknowledged our existence, but it's okay because they all ignore each other, too. HBR ain't cheap, so it just irks me that HBR doesn't even give you the same surf-protected area for ocean swimming that the El Dorado folks get! They even have a good place to excavate a swimming area. As much as I like HBR, it is hard to forgive that omission.

We stayed at N Resort in Jamaica last year. A lot of guests at HBR were making the comparison, so I'm going to add my two cents' worth of comparison. N is much older, much cheaper, not in nearly as good condition, and the food is very good in its own right -- but almost nothing compares with the food with HBR. However, N has some things that HBR doesn't have: N has a fun water slide; lots of poolside games like bean bag toss; fun activities like "goat racing," a fun piano bar, and most importantly, N has an actual beach where you can go for a swim or a long walk (clothed or not) and just laze in the water. If I go to a nude beach resort, I expect to have a place where I can swim in the ocean nude. Duh!

To summarize, I think HBR is relaxing, luxurious, and expensive, whereas N has better activities, is generally more fun, about half the cost, and pretty tired looking. Which is better? Depends on what you want in your vacation. My wife prefers HBR and I have mixed feelings because I like the luxury at HBR (but don't require it) but I definitely miss the activities at N. If HBR gave us a beach with a place to swim and some more activities, it would be preferable. Or if N got a good dose of maintenance and updates, that would make a difference in their favor.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 1129 and 1130 -- not because they are bad rooms (they're nice and quiet) but because...
16 Thank facelessdrone2005