“As long as there is HBR, heaven can wait!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed from April 19-26. We flew into Cancun, arriving mid-afternoon. There were a few other flights arriving about the same time which made for quite a crowd. As a result, baggage delivery was slow but immigration and customs were surprisingly efficient.

We contracted with Lomas travel for our transfer to the resort. We couldn’t be happier with the service. Our driver did move swiftly but safely. The Lincoln Navigator kept us in air-conditioned comfort and allowed us to start winding down prior to arrival at the resort about 75 minutes later. A tip for the driver of $20 US is appropriate.

Once at the resort we were greeted with a cool drink while our luggage was unloaded and we checked in. The check-in process was easy and we were on the way to our room within ten minutes.

Room choice at the resort is truly a personal preference. Even the base suites are quite luxurious. The ground-floor rooms give you walk-out capability right to the “lazy river”. Or, if you prefer the feeling of security provided by an upper level, your room will not disappoint. The dome suites are a bit unusual as they have a high ceiling with a windowed dome on top that lets in some unique light. The dome suite we had last year also had a balcony. Note that most upper level rooms do not have balconies but it all seems minor given that your time in the room is likely to be small. So my advice is to simply weigh your preferences against the relative prices…you can’t make a mistake.

Our room was in top-notch condition and was immaculately clean. We have a habit (driven by less savory experiences at other Caribbean locations) of checking bedding and drawers/closets for creepy crawlers prior to unpacking our clothes. Not only did we not find any evidence of insects, we couldn’t even see any dust or anything that was other than spotless. The card in our room said that “Miriam” took care of our room. I never met her, but her perfect service made our stay all that more enjoyable. On two occasions we returned to our room to find a bubble bath waiting for us in the Jacuzzi and mood music playing through the TV. Gracias, Miriam! The entire resort is kept to a high degree of cleanliness and a high standard of maintenance. It just adds to the comfort and overall feeling of well-being that comes from a stay at HBR.

The staff are well trained in the art of service and in making guests feel welcome. Everyone we passed on the walkways throughout the week greeted us. This included the maintenance workers and guest service staff alike. The staff will literally jump to help you. One day I was trying to re-position the umbrella near our poolside lounge chairs when suddenly one of the landscape workers ran over to move the umbrella base for me. I was stunned and expressed my gratitude in my best, unfortunately broken, effort at Spanish.

Many other TripAdvisor reviews of HBR will describe just how good and varied the food is. My thoughts are no different. Dinner portions are somewhat smaller than US standards but if you have an appetizer, soup or salad, entrée and dessert you will be happy. The menu at the HBR restaurant provides enough delicious dinner variety for a week’s worth of dinners. Each night also brings some special offerings. We went to the Italian restaurant “Mia Casa” on the El Dorado side on two nights. I had the osso-bucco each time as it was exceptionally good. I found the house wines at dinner to be perfectly acceptable, but other wines are available at extra cost if you should want that. Breakfast at HBR gives you all the options you could ever want. The made-to-order omelets are delicious. For lunch there was usually a choice of a poolside buffet or a served lunch in the restaurant. Each is good and I suggest trying each as your mood suits you. Most days also featured a late afternoon snack buffet near the hot tub. Normally I would never indulge that way but hey, this was vacation and it was good.
The rooms are stocked daily with sealed bottled water and there is plenty for all needs. I used some tap water for tooth-brushing and also sampled some of the herbal infused water offered at dinner with no ill effects. I also consumed drinks that were likely made with ice and likewise had no ill effect. I suggest that everyone use their own judgment here. I saw many people drinking bottled water at meals.

The restaurant wait staff lives up to HBR standards. I would like to recognize a few individuals that provided us multiple exceptional services. Jesus has this wonderful smile that absolutely lights up the room. Angel works especially hard to make sure that your every need is met without exception. Aniceto (I hope I spelled that correctly) took the time to give my wife mini-Spanish lessons, at her request, as he served each item of our orders. And, at the Italian restaurant on the El Dorado side, Miguel provided service that was on par with the best of five star restaurants.

Another hard worker is Esperanza who spends her day providing poolside and beachside drink service as we lounge around. She is tireless, or at least she never shows it, and always seems to be carrying a tray of drinks to some lucky guests while wearing a perpetual smile.

My wife and I were among the small minority of guests that actually used the gym facilities each morning. There are treadmills and stationary bicycles along with free weights and a few various resistance-type machines. These were adequate to get the blood flowing each day and help shed a few calories. A few suggestions here include: 1) It would help if the treadmills faced the TVs so that the TV could readily be watched while spending 20-30 minutes on those machines and, 2) the rolled up mats are very thin and do not provide much cushioning for any floor exercises; thicker, more cushioned mats would be a simple welcome improvement.

We and most guests spend the majority of the time on the beach or at the pool. The pool is the hub for daytime activity. I would like to give special recognition to the activity director, “Aldo”. He kept us in high spirits with pool volley-ball and other fun games. He played volleyball with us then would organize the other activities. Pool volleyball at HBR is special. It has its own version of the rules like, you can hit the ball as many times as you want as long as it doesn’t touch the water or go out of bounds. Another rule calls for drinking a shot of tequila for “spiking the ball on a lady”. I had to comply with that one on a number of occasions while getting hoots and hollers from the other players all in good fun. That and the special rule of “double chi-chis” gives the ladies an advantage and adds to the fun. There is also “rule number seven” that you will have to experience for yourself. Watching a bunch of naked men and women splashing around and laughing while hitting a volleyball is quite the sight. My wife, who does not frequently play volleyball, thought that the pool volleyball takes up too much of the day and occupies most of the pool to the exclusion of non-players. She may have a point as we tended to play four or five games in each of the morning and afternoon volleyball sessions. So, perhaps limiting the number of games to three in each of the morning and afternoon would allow the non-players to also use the relatively small pool.

You will see people of all shapes and sizes at HBR. The range of body shapes seems to represent the general population. There were no supermodels and no Mr Universe. Both men and women generally had body hair trimmed or at least groomed to some degree. The largest age representation of guests at HBR seemed to be baby-boomers but there were definitely some younger ones with a smaller number appearing to be in their 30s just having a great time. Although there is certainly a lot of bawdy fun and joking that occurs there is never a public display of sexual activity nor are any sexual advances acceptable.

There was some extra entertainment provided during dinner during this trip. There were some acrobatic, gymnastic type shows that included some erotic but strategically clothed routines. One night featured a mariachi band. The pool-party featured an exceptionally talented singer that performed a number of traditional Caribbean-style songs.

One of the evenings featured a glow party where a professional body-painter demonstrated his skill on anyone willing to try it. My wife and I each got painted. It was a lot of fun and the paint readily washed off in the shower.

There is probably more that I could write, but this review is long enough. Altogether, HBR provides one of the best vacations of my life. If anyone reading this would like more of my thoughts, feel free to contact me through TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: all rooms really are good. the disco area can get a bit loud and may disturb those in nearby rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
33  Thank J D
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

There are newer reviews for Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was our first time at this resort. We had a great time. We usually travel in a group, but this time we decided to spend our anniversary at Hidden Beach alone. Our place was in Jamaica and is no longer open as a A/N, so we have been searching for another "Our Place" We had a few minor issues at the resort but they were taken care of quickly. WE loved the grounds , The pool was awesome and so was Carlos....makes a pretty mean Bloody Ceaser. The food was great, I was worried about there only being one restaurant, but not to worry, there are so many things on the menu that you can have something different everyday and everything tastes wonderful, very upscale. The Entertainment staff was very interactive with all the guests. All the staff were great, Our room was always spotless. I am very happy that we went and will now work on the rest of our group.

Room Tip: We loved being on the ground floor, just a few steps away from everything
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank cruiznfouls
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Good grief this place is SO nice. We made a point to check the calendar to make sure there were no large groups going and had a ball.

Swim up room was perfect. Bar area pool was always a blast.

The beach beds were just awesome for snuggling at night and watching the stars.

Other guests were perfect ladies and gentlemen and thoroughly enjoyed every minute there.

Looks forward to returning soonest!

Room Tip: Get a swim-up room. Pace yourself with the excellent bar service and sun.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike D

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our first time at Hidden Beach Resort (HBR), and we concur with other reviewers who will tell you that HBR is a first-class operation. The grounds are well-kept, the rooms look first class, are comfy, everything works right throughout the entire resort, and everything is spotlessly clean. What was most impressive, however, was the quality of food and service. The staff is absolutely outstanding. When people say that, they really aren't lying. The staff is always friendly and extremely helpful, and every meal really was a gourmet delight. It will take you a long time just to read the menus. We found nothing at all to fault about the food or service. And the guests are the other ingredient that makes the experience great. They are all a bunch of happy people who greet you with a smile and in 15 minutes you are on a first-name basis with them. No sex perverts, just down-to-earth types who are there to relax and have fun. It becomes like a vacation with about 80 of your closest friends, and that just cannot be beat.

My big complaint is that the beach at HBR is just too "hidden." There is no way to get in the ocean water at HBR. You can put on a swimsuit and go next door to El Dorado, where you can swim in a nice excavated swimming area and go for a long clothed beach walk. Unfortunately, to do this you'll have to exit HBR, enter El Dorado, pick your way through thousands of beach lounges and then share the beach and ocean with all 2,000,000 guests at El Dorado. If that isn't bad enough, none of these people know how to smile. What a bunch of downers. Sheesh, we walked a mile and I don't think a single person even acknowledged our existence, but it's okay because they all ignore each other, too. HBR ain't cheap, so it just irks me that HBR doesn't even give you the same surf-protected area for ocean swimming that the El Dorado folks get! They even have a good place to excavate a swimming area. As much as I like HBR, it is hard to forgive that omission.

We stayed at N Resort in Jamaica last year. A lot of guests at HBR were making the comparison, so I'm going to add my two cents' worth of comparison. N is much older, much cheaper, not in nearly as good condition, and the food is very good in its own right -- but almost nothing compares with the food with HBR. However, N has some things that HBR doesn't have: N has a fun water slide; lots of poolside games like bean bag toss; fun activities like "goat racing," a fun piano bar, and most importantly, N has an actual beach where you can go for a swim or a long walk (clothed or not) and just laze in the water. If I go to a nude beach resort, I expect to have a place where I can swim in the ocean nude. Duh!

To summarize, I think HBR is relaxing, luxurious, and expensive, whereas N has better activities, is generally more fun, about half the cost, and pretty tired looking. Which is better? Depends on what you want in your vacation. My wife prefers HBR and I have mixed feelings because I like the luxury at HBR (but don't require it) but I definitely miss the activities at N. If HBR gave us a beach with a place to swim and some more activities, it would be preferable. Or if N got a good dose of maintenance and updates, that would make a difference in their favor.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 1129 and 1130 -- not because they are bad rooms (they're nice and quiet) but because...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
16  Thank facelessdrone2005

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was our first time at a naturist resort. We had always been curious, but we wanted a place that is truly naturist, NOT "lifestyle", no way for us!! But we travel a lot, our standards are very high, also had to be luxurious. Plus, we adore Mexico. When we found this place last year, it ticked all of our boxes, we had to book.

We just ended 10 GLORIOUS days here, this place exceeds expectations beyond anyone's wildest dreams!!! We had a swim out room, we really highly recommend those. We had heard the water in the pool is chilly, they have certainly warmed it up, the temperature was perfect! The grounds are paradise, the beach has lots of coral, but is pristine and just gorgeous. We did not mind not having a user friendly beach, as long as it is clean and beautiful, this fit the bill. Gorgeous palapas, loungers, hammocks, always plenty available. We also had a romantic, ahhhhhhh candlelit lobster dinner in an upper palapa, included in our package and really nice. Great hot tubs, both outdoors and in the moonlit disco.

The entertainment was hit or miss. The nights with live music were always the best, and they booked really excellent bands, here. We also enjoyed the cirque du soliel and mardi gras live acts, really beautiful. But when it was just a DJ at the lounge, could get tedious. A couple of nights ago, however, the DJ really picked it up.

The food is decidedly mediocre, luckily we did not come here for the food. The best meal was always the lunch beach BBQ, EXCELLENT, and the beachside chef is SO sweet, we love him!! Great chef, too!! The breakfast buffet was fine, and I had delicious eggs benedict one morning. The dinners mostly fell flat. The best was the Japanese/sushi, excellent pad thai.

The best part of Hidden Beach, bar none, the people, staff and fellow guests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In our ten days here we have made more lifelong friends than we made the past ten years, just really lovely, warm, fun people. We agree, this place has the most rock solid marriages we have ever seen, too, really cool. As for the staff, WOW!!!! ALL superstars!! Awesome America greets you with pure warmth and charm. The restaurant, Carlos at the bar, Angel, Jesus, there are several other waiters, I forget names, but they were ALL just delightful!!!!! Aldo is in charge of entertainment, remember the words "ILoveYouAldo", you may win a cool t shirt. But he is FUN, from water volleyball, poolside trivia, bingo, getting everyone dancing for the night time entertainment, Hidden Beach is SO lucky to have Aldo! He is a gem, everyone here loves him, and a genuinely NICE guy!

The only staff issue involved a manager named Miguel. We had booked a private mariachi act for a friend, arranged the time a day in advance. When my girl pal and I went to the lobby to fetch the act, there were delays, delays, but at no time did the girl at the desk say we were early and had the time confused, she confirmed we had booked it for the time we expected. We were missing the party, my husband came to see if we were OK. Miguel showed up, my husband explained that us girls had told him, we booked the party for 5. Miguel Diaz lost his temper, told my husband that since "he was not present when us girls booked it, that made [my husband] a LIAR", yep, he actually called my husband a "liar"!! My husband was "guilty" of 'hearsay,' but he was NOT "lying", what a shabby way to treat highly paying guests who are simply trying to schedule a mariachi band!! But he was the only bad apple in the bunch, the rest, absolutely stellar!!!!!!

Book a beach massage, Joshua gave an excellent massage.

Our room tender, Angelica, was a DOLL!! Did fun towel art even incorporating my party wig, we laughed so hard. She also filled my tub with piles of bubbles and flower petals, we just love her, so dear and sweet!!!!

A complaint, they need to tend the mini bar daily. They came twice in ten days, and with only 42 rooms, we were baffled. When we called for a restock, it took hours, too.

As we said, this was our first naturist time. But after a half hour, you honestly really stop noticing, every single body type, age, it really becomes something that seems fine. Like I said, this is NOT "lifestyle", if you want shenanigans with anyone other than your partner, book elsewhere!! But if you want THE ultimate, gorgeous, luxurious, small, personal, beautiful resort, in a stunning part of Mexico, with the finest fellow guests and staff on the planet, with fun relaxed naked relaxation, book here, like, now!!!

14  Thank weloveiguanas

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We returned to El Dorado Seaside Suits/Hidden Beach Resort for our birthdays and wedding anniversary. From the moment.we stepped off the transfer transport it felt like "Coming home".
We were allocated a Swim-up room (1106) which was just Perfect from the accommodation layout to the 7 foot bed. After an eleven hour flight with a two hour delay in UK, transfer time and a very quick booking in process all we wanted was to shed clothes and have our first cocktail. A Rivera Maya for my good lady and an attitude martini for myself dressed Au naturel of course.
Many previous guests have named various staff members so I will not repeat what has already been said other than most of the staff have been in residence for-ever and their attitude has not changed.
I agree with other Trip Advisers that Hidden Beach is not cheap, but if you want the BEST then you have to pay for it. The only way to reduce costs is to purchase an Exotic member package for a varying number of weeks which will give substantial discounts on the resorts rack rate: we did whilst on vacation to future-proof holidays.
On Valentines day my wife and the ladies really enjoyed a visit from Cupid aka Ruben - gold colour suits you!!!
We did venture to EDSS on several occasions for evening meals and we enjoyed the Vida garden restaurant and Mexican - thanks Nelson for your skills at plate decoration of Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary
We are sooooooo looking forward to our next visit to HBR that we are counting down the weeks.
Finally a VERY BIG thanks to all the staff for making our last vacation Super Exerlenty

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms are in our opinion are the Best - no stairs. 1200 numbered rooms best if you want pea...
2  Thank david p

Reviewed February 20, 2014

As they say after you return to HB, "welcome home" and they mean it. You won't find a friendlier nude resort (or any other for that matter) anywhere. The resort is small but very upscale which is rather rare in the naturist market. The value here is the staff and the people you meet. The activities on the resort are limited and the late night life is very low key, most people are in their rooms by 11pm. The food is good and the access to the adjoining El Dorado Seaside Suites' multiple dining venues makes for excellent variety. There are many opportunities for outings through the tour desk. Most people don't bother putting on clothes for anything but dinner next door and the tours if they like that sort of thing. The rooms are not large but all the infrastructure elements work like they should. They do need someplace to sit in the rooms beside the bed but since most people don't spend much time in the room, that doesn't seem to bother people too much. The pool is beautiful and there are activities daily (mostly volleyball). The beach is shady but the sand is not natural and is very private (except the occasion sneaker from next door who is roundly booed (not really.) Overall the friendliness and personal attention of the staff are this resort's strongest features. They somehow remember everybody's name even if it has been months since the last visit. If you like a quiet, upscale, beautiful, clean and friendly place to relax and enjoy meeting fellow naturists, this is your place.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are great but you can save a great deal of money by climbing a few steps and the v...