Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
$330
$217
Barcelo.com
$352
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$385
$293
$430
$318
Agoda.com
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$448
$359
$665
$450
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$15,600
All reviewsau naturelel doradonude cruisebody paintinghot tubmoonlight loungeswim up roomother guestseldorado seaside suiteswater journeypool volleyballactivities directorbeach bedswater shoesfront officebreakfast and lunchswim up bar
Reviewed July 16, 2008

...HARD TO LEAVE!!
(Numbers next to the text correspond with posted pictures and should help give more of an overview and explain some of what is mentioned below)
Our 2nd visit & 1st stay, 7-01 to 7-8-08. We thought our first visit in October could not be surpassed, BOY, WERE WE WRONG! A late arrival at HBR (01) made the lengthy journey nightmares disappear, met by Hugo the bellboy (once again) and ushered into the lobby where we were met by Carolina. After a sip or two of the bubbly, a shot of Don Julio Blanco and shedding the textiles, we were off to “La Vista” for a late dinner. No surprise, the food was excellent.
Our room was on the 2nd floor, room #1112 (02) and was one of only 6 with an open balcony (4 of which have a cupola). Rooms on the 2nd floor are a little larger than the swim-ups on the 1st floor and having the vaulted cupola made it seem even larger.
Since most of past reviews cover areas that don’t need to be repeated, I’ll try to touch on a few additional items.

GUESTS: During our stay occupancy ranged from 34 to 56 guests from all walks of life, body types, social status and backgrounds. Without the facades put up by textiles, no one knew or cared. All in all a real fun group, the guests we met were very courteous and respectful of one another, save one single male who did overstep the boundaries and was quickly put into his place by myself and the staff.

STAFF (03): No more needs to said about the level of excellence management sets and expects from the staff at both EDSS and HBR. However, I do want to mention a few who went above and beyond that level of excellence;

Hugo the bellboy – On both visits to the most fabulous place on Playa Kantenah, he was the first person to greet us and the last to see us off!!
Chief of Village – Enrique Moreno!
Concierge – Carolina, Valeria!, Karla! & Ana.
Copelina – Food & Beverage? - she was everywhere and paying attention to everything!
Head Chef & Cooks - no names, but they know who they are!
Wait staff – Miguel Angel, Anicieto, Portofino, Jesus & Galdino.
Bars – Carlos, Sabino, Esperanza, and David in the Moonlight Bar.
Entertainment – Sergio “Harry Potter”, Gere (Mgr.), Lalo (D.J.)
Gardening – Head of Department (can’t remember his name, located a small coconut, cleaned & drilled holes in it for me to make a bra with, which I forgot to bring back with us!)
Security – Marco & Jose, while I was taking photos of the sunrises in the early mornings, spent the extra effort communicating with me by writing with sticks in the sand, me learning a little more Spanish & them learning a little more English!!!
Housekeeping – Filipa & Rosa, our maids - excellente!

GROUNDS AND POOL: Well maintained and clean. Walkways are not as rough as EDSS and made it easier to go around barefoot. Hot tub by the main pool was always warm and in my personal opinion comfortable. The larger tub in the new Moonlight Bar (04) was never occupied as it was cold until our last night and then we were the only couple using it. We did talk a walk about a ¼ mile north of and off the resort to search for “treasures”, found a few, including “Wilson Jr.” and brought back a tub full of garbage (our part to help clean up the “Roo”)
ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT: Sadly, on Saturday July 5th, Isabel said goodbye to HBR. Hopefully she will be carrying her wonderful personality to where ever she goes. She will be missed :o( On the cheery side, Sergio (AKA- Harry Potter) kept the guests smiling and entertained throughout the balance of our stay. I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon water volleyball games, while I still can’t remember all the rules ;o), I can remember “Team B.F.P.” being the victor. We both enjoyed the “Afternoon of Bliss for Couples” class and my better half attended a class on the art of seduction for women, all conducted by Tantra instructor Heather Dawn :o) In the evenings we were treated to a Mexican dance review, a so-so “circus” performance, the unbelievable sounds of the band “Quarzo” (05) (excellent rock covers) and our best evening was on the 4th of July, dinner poolside followed by the fire show (06), AWSOME!
After the shows the Moonlight bar quieted down and Lalo the DJ spun the tunes. Most evenings things were dead by 11:30 or 12:00, but the music continued until 2:00AM regardless. Plans for the old “Moonlight Bar & Disco” are still being discussed by management as to what the best use for the area may be, so stay tuned!

FITNESS & SPA: Was glad to see the fitness center (07) finished after the damage from hurricane David, modern equipment, roomy and clean. We did indulge ourselves with full body massages etc. Highly recommended on your first day to relieve the stresses of travel, etc.

SUGGESTION AND RECOMMENDATIONS:
There is an extreme need for a general use bathroom at or near the new Moonlight bar!
Hot tub in the Moonlight bar could be a lot warmer during evening hours.
Music in the “C’est La Vie Bar” & “La Vista” restaurant area during dinner hours would be nice, since the entertainment staff shuts things down at the activities center at that time. Possibly some light jazz, classical or easy listening.
The outdoor food at lunch was great but could have more variety from day to day. Possibly based on the theme days?
On a personal note… We would love to see “Wilson Jr.” (08) become a permanent mascot at the main pool bar. All the guests (and staff) enjoyed his presence during our stay and he is a fair volley ball referee!

From sunrises to sunsets (09&10) this was the best, to date, anniversary trip ever! Now the only problems are, transitioning back to the textile world and to figure out how soon can we return. ATTENTION: Sr. Rubli and Sr. Emiliano… we will be back (That’s not a promise, it’s a vow! :o)
CTinSO

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank CTinSO
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed July 3, 2008

We cant say enough about this resort except you have found the garden of eve paradice as you have never seen the staff cant do enough for you from the time you arive till the time you leave .Gourmet food top shelf liquor entertainment all day and night.The swim up bar pool is awesum so is the 10 couple hot tub ,The newly bult disco features A cool down tub for thoes all heated up from dancing till 3 AM EVERYTHING YOu caN think Of is ALL incLUDED AT NO EXTRA COST 24 hour room serv for thoes with the munchys,They even have A full time tour director on premices.One thing for thoes of you whoe are offended by total nudity do your self A favor dont attend this resort ,But if you want to try this experance bring plenty of strong sunblock

5  Thank mojo1180

Reviewed July 3, 2008

Excellent food diffently want to return. Staff was wonderfull. Comfortable from the first moment we arrived. We felt very at home. That is the only way to say it. No clothes means no clothes now having a hard time to adjust at home. We have been to other resorts and this one is in a class of its' own. Will be back there next year. Also the massages are great on the beach. The staff remembered our names after the first morning. They have strict rules which they adhere to and nothing out of line allowed. Loved it!!!!!!!!!

4  Thank southern72

Reviewed June 24, 2008

My husband & I, stayed at Hidden Beach Resort. We ran into several problems. First of all, I am a travel agent, and I contacted Travelly, to see if they offered me an agent discount. They stated that I would receive a 20% discount, all I had to do was show my travel agent ID, when we checked-in. Once we arrived at the resort, and told them of the discount, they stated that they could not do anything so that I could receive my discount, and do nothing to try. Then on the first day, we had no cold water for showers or to flush the bathrooms for several hours. The second day first no hot water then no cold water again. We paid for a room with a jacuzzi, in which we not able to use as much as we would have like too, because of the water problems. The pool was not kept cleaned. Our room had a gap in the doors, so that with the air conditioner on, it would cause the floors to sweat, and make the floors very slick and dangerous. The food and service was okay, not what you would expect for the price. When we returned home, we contacted Hidden Beach and Travelly, to let them know of the problems we incurred, with my agent discount, and they stated since we had left the resort and were at home, there was nothing they could do.(Sounds like a run around)! No one wants to help! All they wanted to do is offer a $50.00 , credit toward spa services. Not much compensation for the $224.00 travel agent discount, I should have received. This should have been offered for the water problems. I feel if they give travel agents the run around on our discount, then they are not going to pay us the commissions they offer. So I nor my agency, will recommend this resort or Krisma Hotels to our clients. Nor will my husband and I stay again!

12  Thank Stylinggirl

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us at the Trip Advisor portal with regards to tyour recent stay at our Hotel.

We are very sorry to read that you we did not live up completely to the expectations you have set before us and we truly hope that there is a possibility to have an opportunity and welcome you once more at our Hidden Beach Resort or one of our Hotels by Karisma.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2008

My wife (a travel agent) and I recently stayed at the Hidden Beach Resort for the first time. Checking out their web site my wife noticed that they offered Travel Agents a 20% discount on their stay if they showed proper I. D. upon check in. When my wife contacted the hotel reservation by email to make sure what documentation she had to have to receive the 20% discount she was told that we would charge our stay to our credit card, which had to be paid in full, 30 days prior to arrival, and then when we arrived, show the front desk her travel agent documentation to receive our 20% discount. We followed these instructions and upon arrival was met by the conceirge named Ana. We asked her about the discount and she informed us that the discount should have been taken at the time of our booking and because we were already there, she could do nothing to help us. So we returned home from our trip, was contacted by the resort, thanking us for our recent stay. We in-turn replied to them complaining about the discount mixup. Their reply was that since we had already left the resort that there was nothing they could do for us (sounds like a big runaround right?). Both my wife and myself had sent emails to the resort complaining of this, my email was responded to by Ana. In her reply she stated that since we booked the reservation online that we were not eligible for the travel agent discount (their web site says absolutely nothing about booking online as opposed to booking through their reservation office to receive the discount). I don't know about anyone else but, TRAVEL AGENTS BEWARE, this sounds like and appears to be a scam. To those of you who are NOT travel agents, let me discribe the other things in our stay. The first day we had no cold water for several hours. The second we had the same problem along with no hot water. Under normal circumstances this might not have been to much of an inconvience, but when you pay extra so that you can have a jacuzzi in your room that you can't use, it becomes irritating. The room itself was very nice except for the fact that there was a large gap around the door which would let hot air in. With the air conditioner running constantly and the hot air coming in around the door condensation would form on the tile floor and make it very slick and hard to walk on. The service and the food was OK, but not up to the standards we have enjoyed at other resorts that we payed less money to stay at. All-in-all I would not go back to this resort again and I definitely would not recommend it to other vacationers.

12  Thank Texasteaclub