“Expensive and rude”

Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Recent trip to Hidden Beach Resort proved to be one of the least favourable holiday experiences we have had in a long time. This was our 2nd time to this resort. We could not get a room on the ground level next to the water, but figured ocean view on an upper level would be good. We were surprised to find out the room did not have a balcony, this was not clear at time of booking, and was not a good experience. For the price of the room this was not acceptable. On the day of arrival, we were challenged rudely by the barman that we were trespassing, even upon confirmation of our room, the front desk was not supportive - there are more diplomatic ways to confirm you belong, OR provide band identification like other resorts.

Overall service was not good, only improved with tipping, the place was understaffed and no eye contact meant "don't bother me".

There are many ways this resort can improve, although we won't be back to experience it!

Room Tip: Make sure the room has a balcony. And tip a lot or suffer the consequences.
19  Thank 56,755
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

firstly , please allow me to apologize for your experiences mentioned, I can assure you that these expeirences are not in line with our reputation for superior , attentive service. I'm truly very sorry that you did not receive the room location that you had requests , unfortunately we are unable to identify your booking from the information provided however I would like to invite to contact our customer services department to discuss this matter and any other unsolved issues that you may have.

I hope that you provide us with an opportunity to host your holiday in the future and we will ensure that we surpass all expectations .

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We've been to Hidden 5 times and we absolutely love the accomodations, the staff, the food...everything except the beach and pool. I know it's not really possible to get a different beach, but it would be SO nice to be able to use the pool and the swim up without freezing to death!!! Please, please heat the pool. We'll be back because we love the atmosphere so much, but a little warm water would make so much difference!

Room Tip: Love the swim up rooms...away from the disco.
3  Thank SunandSandLover1414
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Best regards,

El Dorado Seaside Suites by Karisma
Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at Hidden Beach February 13-22. We were lucky enough to book our trip through friends who are members of Exotic Travelers. This was our first trip to Hidden Beach as well as any Karisma Resort but definitely will not be our last!!!

We arranged for private transfers with Lomas Travel and we were able to find the representative outside the airport without any problems. We were off to the resort very quickly.

Upon arrival at Hidden Beach we were handed a cool drink and facecloth which was greatly appreciated. Check in was very quick and we were off to our room. We had booked a swim up suite and given room 1106.

The room was immaculate and continued to be so through out our stay. Our housekeeper was amazing as was Sarah who did our turn down service. Loved all the beautiful towel art that we received. The bathroom was very nice but did lack on storage a bit. Water pressure in the shower was wonderful which is important if you have thick hair! ☺ There was a good amount of storage but we did find the room a bit on the small side. Not that important unless you have an extended period of rain, which we did. There is no place to just sit and relax. Personally I would rather see the Jacuzzi tubs gone and maybe replaced with some type of a seating area. The patio between the pool and the room was a good size. Large enough for 2 chairs and a small side table with room to move. Very nice! Love the bridge leading to the restaurant.

The staff at the restaurant is great and work very hard. Ancietto is absolutely amazing. He arrives for work at 4:30 am and is always happy to do anything that the guests wish. My husband was at the restaurant very early every morning for our coffee and Ancietto was always ready for him with a tray prepared. After the first 2 days he knew what we would order for breakfast, would bring our coffee & tea as well as a plate of fruit before we even ordered. We received the same treatment at lunch. After a couple of days I remembered a dish that our friends had told us about. It was no longer on the menu But I mentioned it to Ancietto and it was brought to us in minutes. After that he brought it to us every day after we were seated. He has been at the resort for quite some time and it is obvious that he loves what he does. It shows in what he does! I can honestly say that we did not have one bad meal while we were there!!! There might have been one or two that I wasn’t crazy about but it had nothing to do with it being “bad” just not to my taste. Along with the set menu for lunch and dinner, there is a menu of the day. Quite often at lunch it took place at the grill. Not to be missed!!! Food was wonderful! In the evening Alex was our waiter of choice!!! Like Ancietto, he did every thing he could to make our dining experience wonderful and was very successful! After we were seated he would bring a bottle of Chardonnay over in a bucket of ice every night. I personally prefer reds but unfortunately I found the house red to be very bad. Hopefully they will have something different next year. We did go over to “The Dark Side” once for dinner but found that the food at Hidden Beach to be just as good!

The beach at the resort is not good but we knew that before we went so it wasn’t a problem. The pool area is very nice. I would like to see them remove the beach beds and put more loungers in. There just wasn’t enough of them around the pool! Carlos, bartender, was wonderful! The drinks were always consistant when he was on duty. The days that he wasn’t there you never got the same drink twice. Esperenza is amazing!!! I have never seen anyone work so hard and with such a beautiful smile on her face. She always remembered what you were drinking and also that I liked to have a straw. She was also the only one that constantly brought fresh ash trays around.

Danny & Jorge, entertainment staff, were very good. They were quite funny and really worked well off each other. The water volleyball games were quite entertaining!

We never actually used the spa but we did have a wonderful private massage in a cabana at Hidden Beach. We hadn’t really planned on any treatments but Joshua came and offered us a free 5 minute neck massage (he was the only one to do so while we were there) and that had us sold. I would highly recommend Joshua!

The only person that we were not thrilled with was Manuel the concierge for Exotic Travellers. The one time that we asked him about something we received a flat out no for the answer. This was prior to us doing the presentation with Exotic Travelers and he did not speak to us again until it was time for the presentation. Then he was all friendly. Not a good representative for a company that is trying to get your money!

We were fortunate enough to spend some time with Miguel, GM Hidden Beach. He had taken over this position the day before we had arrived. We found him to be very interested in the customers take on their resort experience and does everything that he can to alleviate their concerns. We had booked a private tour with Lomas Travel and due to the heat cancelled it by 11 the day before. Upon check out we found that we had been charged for it. My husband had spent quite some time with Miguel on the day in question thankfully so there was no problem with getting the charge removed. This was a problem with Lomas Travel not Hidden Beach. Lewis at the front desk was also very good!!!! He was always there to help with any concerns.

We decided to do a split vacation as we wanted to see another resort by Karisma. With the help of Miguel, Paula Negrete and Oscar, manager El Dorado Maroma, we had a wonderful and relaxing final 5 days at El Dorado Maroma! We will definitely return to both of these beautiful resorts as well as try others by Karisma!!! As first timers with this chain we are absolutely blown away by the attention to detail and wonderful customer service!

Room Tip: I only rated this as a 4 because we found the swim up rooms to be rather small but that is the only...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank beloro
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have been there 7 times and it was always great. After checking all the reviews I see that it's changed. I find it hard to believe BUT, with all the negative reviews about the hot tub and the pool why would I spend such an exorbitant amount of money to sit around a freezing pool all day that I couldn't even go in, I love playing volleyball and it's a great way to meet other guest. I also look forward to retiring in the hot tub in the evening.
HOT TUB means HOT TUB WITH HOW WATER IN IT!!!!!!! Did I metion hot water???
Ok, so with that said, I have decided to return back to Jamaica. I have been there many times and just love the Island and the people.
I booked Couples Sans Souci for April this year. Reasons why? Read all the reviews concerning Hidden Beach. Even guest from Castaway don’t want to go back.
Couples Sans Souci
1. They have a separate Au Naturel beach with a pool that is nice and inviting.
2. They have a Hot tub at the Au Naturel pool that is HOT
3. The resort is beautiful
4. The food is excellent and the staff is also.
5. Price with air is way cheaper then HBR

I hope Hidden Beach management reads my review.
Hopefully they will wise up and spend some of the hard earned dollars we give them for a enjoyable vacation.
I would like to return there but only after they understand that there guest come first.
I’m not trying to promote CSS, I’m only saying…………..

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank islandthinkers

Thank you for your review and I can assure you that I have crefully considered your comments. I am truly very sorry that your experience did not live up to previous holidays in other Au Natural resorts. This is very disaappointing to here as we have a large number of loyal clients that return year upon year and we do everything possible to ensure that we surpass expectation no matter if it is the first or fifteenth stay.

I will be sure to use your comments to make the necessary improvements and I truly hope you will change your opinions , we await your return so we can treat you to a real hidden beach , au natural vacation experience

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have been to Hidden Beach twice --both times in March. Will never go back again. The place is beautiful- but the beach is for seeing only, you cannot swim or even walk in the water without getting your feet cut up. So you think they would have the pool and Hot tubs warm enough to get into --NOT. Second year in a row this happened and I was the fool to believe them when they said it was heated. Well it is NOT heated. The water was freezing and I am tired of hearing about the prevailing winds or the problems with heating a pool. We had 26 people in our group from Castaways Travel and quite a few do not want to go back. You could not use the swim up rooms, only had partial participation in volleyball and nobody could sit at the swim up bar because you would freeze.

Food was ok but slow. Actually it is 5 Star on the El Dorado side so we ate all our dinners there as well as the shows. Staff is great and always has been and usually apologizing a lot for slow food and cold pool and hot tub. About 6 in our group were drinking Mailbu rum and coke--3 days out of 6 they ran out of it. I got tired of complaining to the management at Hidden Beach so I went over to the Dark Side EL DORADO and complained to their manager. She could not understand the problem and had bottles sent over in 8 minutes after I finished talking to her.

I never usually write negative feedback but I just got back and feel like I was robbed. Spent money for a week of just sitting in a lounge chair or waiting till after lunch when the hot tub got hot. They advertise a beach{cannot be used} and Pool {freezing} activities sparse and entertainment that is weak compared to EL DORADO. When I checked out and told them We were never coming back all they said was to make sure we leave feedback on Tripadvisor and I said I sure will. If this sounds harsh I am sorry but I checked and double checked that they said the pool was now heated, well it is not and I was the fool to believe them. I will spend my money elsewhere now. It is a shame because it is a beautiful setting with great staff . Not so great management and ownership! I would really like to hear what the excuse is this year and I will be letting Castaways Travel know also.

Room Tip: Pick 2nd floor --you get a bigger room and the swim up lower room floors are useless in the winter m...
15  Thank marlajohn

Thank you for your review and I appreciate your honest opinions of your experience at our hotel. Im sorry that there were aspects that did not live up to past visit to the Hidden Beach Resort . I have read through your review and have shared this with my operations team. We are dedicated to our guests and ensuring their au natural experience is the very best.

if you should wish to contact us , please do not hesitate to contact our customer services at customerservices@karismamexico.com

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We arrive on a red-eye from Denver before most of the Staff was even on the property. Greeted at the nearby "dark-side" sister resort and felt comfortable from the get-go. The staff was overly accomodating, storing our luggage until our room was ready. We were greeted by Anecito, a charming server who greeted us as if were were already "regulars". We settled in for a nice breakfast of fresh fruit, fresh omelets, coffee, juice and a towel to sit on...There were already a few early risers saving the few covered lounge chairs around the pool.

We stripped down and piled our clothes at a tree near the pool and grabbed lounge chair in the water for some early AM sun, then moved to a covered bed near the beach to get some shut-eye. If that is what one what to do (relax) then this is the place. There are activities, but the expanse of the beach, beds, and lounge chairs on the sand provide a relaxing atmosphere away from the pool area which (really) was never out of control with the exception of one particular (cold water) volleyball game wherein mistakes cost you a tequila...a reason to get warm!

The staff is wonderful, especially Carlos at the pool area. He concocts wonderful fresh drinks every day...the rest of the staff is equally accomodating, greeting you by name once you've settled in and making one feel like "family". The entertainment group worked hard to keep us active, but for some reason, activities were not well advertised, and certainly the website is no help to "plan" for events. The food was "OK", not great but better than some other similar themed resorts (Cabo Temptation, the Old Blue Bay Getaway). I'd rate the HB a cut above.

The Nude cruise on Wednesday was memorable. Manuel puts on a good event...Suggest anyone on a first-time visit to take part.

We met several folks whom we quickly became friends with and hope to see again on a future trip. This is a great resort but still has some growing to do with respect to advertising daily activities, "planning" more activities, and keeping the nightlife a bit more lively. Sure, the average age was probably 50...but we're not dead yet...

Room Tip: Swip-ups are good if the water is warm, otherwise probably not worth the increased rates, although q...
5  Thank hatmand00

Reviewed March 11, 2013

When we arrived at HBR we felt like family, even though this was our first time. Staff was welcoming and friendly (but not overly so). The bar and wait staff were always pleasant and accomodating. Our room was very nice, overlooking the pool, hot tub and beach, and very comfortable. It was like being at home (except someone else was doing the cleaning). The towel art at night was a very nice touch. As shown in other reviews, breakfast was the best part of the day, with fresh fruit and made-to-order eggs and omelets. Lunch was always a buffet on the pool deck and some days were better than other. Dinner was not "gourmet" but okay. Food lacked flavor and imagination it was okay, but not wonderful. Desserts were pretty bland. We loved the ambiance and meeting the other guests - some guests even turned into friends. The pool was COLD - not cool, but cold. A weather front had come through and it was very windy, so the pool did not heat up for the entire week we were there. Every guest complained almost daily, but were told they don't run the heaters except in Dec, Jan, and February. Hot tubs were not hot until the last few days. The beach is very nice for laying in the sun, but not swimming. It was very nice to wade out and feed the fish, though. We will definitely return the HBR, but later in the year. I don't like going to any resort with a swim-up bar, that no one can use. I would be very disappointed if I had paid extra for a swim-up room.

Room Tip: We had room 1214 on the second floor (no elevators) and reallly enjoyed the room. We had a great vi...
5  Thank AgentSea