“Better than before”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband & I recently returned from our 2nd trip to Hidden Beach resort in 3 yrs. We found it MUCH improved. If quiet relaxation is your desire-this is the place! Only 22 people the first 4 days we were there -total Bliss! By the middle of the week when more people checked in we were ready for a little more action. The snorkel trip mid week was one of the best we had done anywhere. We saw many fish we had never seen before followed by a great beach barb-que. Speaking of the food-a 100% improvement over our first visit. Griselda , the chef,went out of her way to accomodate my pescatarian husband's wishes. She even specially made my fave Mexican dish-chiles rellejnos.when it wasn't on the menu. You could taste the love in every dish she prepared. Oh yea-and the Nayy spa-heavenly!! I could have spent every day at that spa-truly unique treatments. Go ahead and splurge-you are worth it!!

Room Tip: Ask for the "B" building-it is quieter at night if the nightclub palapa is active.
3  Thank JKE11
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

It was a great honor to welcome you back for your 2nd visit to the Hidden Beach Resort and I'm glad that you were able to experience firsthand that our loyal guests has helped us to achieve. we do listen and take notice of all feedback provided.

we are very lucky to have part of the second largest coral reef lining our shores and the snorkelling is certainly an experience not to be missed. It is very gratifying when our staff are recognised by our guests for their efforts , I have passed your comments on to all our chefs and I'm glad to know that they were able to cater to your dietary requirements.

It will be an absolute pleasure to host your holidays in the future and we hope that you will chose to return to the Hidden Beach Resort for yet another visit.

Best Regards

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Grounds are nice, staff is excellent. Beach is bad, rocky, can't swim or wade. Food was ok. I personally prefer more of a party atmosphere. It was very quiet, most couples read books and do crosswords/Sudoku and turn in early and wake up early. Mostly an older crowd,age 50 and up. Great massage on the beach.
My bag with my camera in it disappeared poolside. Yes, it was unattended. I was in the hot tub. (management explained that they are not responsible for items left unattended). In speaking with other guests, this is not uncommon. My fault, I just expected more at a resort that I paid so much for. I travel frequently and have never had anything stolen from me while on vacation. I just think its ironic that I treated myself to a 5 star resort and got robbed. Oh, don't buy any of the bottles from the tequila tasting event. They claim that you cant buy them at duty free, they claim that it will cost you less if you buy it from them through the resort with their discount. I got to duty free and found out that I could have purchased my bottles there and for significantly less money. I also found out that I was video taped as well as photographed while at the resort that doesn't permit photography. Didn't see anyone having sex, being romantic,kissing or even holding hands! Its straight up nudist. Great place to read a book. Not my cup of tea. Won't be back.

13  Thank meg4c

Thank you for your review of your recent experiences at our hotel , we understand that the Hidden Beach Resort is not for everyone and does not fit with the lifestyles of all however we truly appreciate your feedback .

we can assure you that the safety and security of our guests and their belongings is of the highest priority. In addition, I would like you to know that we do not have any security issues at the resort . At the Hidden Beach Resort we have an Honest policy that all staff abide by.Many of or staff are longstanding employees at the hotel that have been part of the Hidden Beach Resort for many years. we have full trust in our staff however whenever we receive a report of lost belongings a full and thorough investigation is conducted.

I'm very sorry if you believe that you were weither video taped or photograph and we would like to invite you to contact us personally at customerservices@karismamexico.com with more details so we can review this situation.

At the Hidden Beach Hotel the Concept is " Au Natural" public display of affection such as holding hands and kissing is acceptable however any public sexual activities are strictly prohibited.

I'm sorry that the Hidden Beach resorts did not mean your requirements

Best Regards

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I have been to Hidden Beach many times and have always enjoyed the staff and the service. This time, both were way over the top! We had a special anniversary on Oct 13 and I wanted the event to be a surprise for my wife. Carlos at the front desk and Oscar, the manager, helped me plan the menu and the details.
That evening, Ignacio, the night captain, met us on the walkway with a flashlight and led us to the elevated palappa which was lit up with luminaries and candles. We also had a dedicated waiter from the other side as HBR was full. The beautiful dinner created by the new chef, Grizelda, was truly special. Ignacio checked on us several times and led us back when we were finished. All in all, a great night.
The next night we ate at HBR and Ignacio had saved the flowers from our dinner and placed them on our table. Same with the next night. The final night we were there, I asked for a glass of Port after dinner. Shortly after the waiter told me they did not have any, Ignacio appeared with a bottle of Port and a "Good-bye" cake for us. Truly outstanding service.
I am certainly not saying the previous night captain was not good but Ignacio truly has kicked up the service level a few notches.
The day crew-Carlos, Aniceto, Jesus, Angel, Esperanza, and Pedro were outstanding as always. The night guys-Porfirio, Galdino, Marcellino, and Alex provided their usual great service. What made this trip so special was Oscar and Ignacio.
As I said, we have been to HBR many times and the service keeps getting better.
We will certainly be back soon.

5  Thank Frank B
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 10 days from sept. 23 to oct. 3. It was our first time at an au naturel resort outside of the USA. I can't say enough about the staff at this resort. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left they couldn't do enough for us. The other people staying here were a great bunch of people . We had a newly wed couple from the UK that booked on the clothing side of the resort but got two twin beds by Mistake and the only thing they had with a king size bed was at our resort . They said they were having the time of their life's. I know we did ! It was the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. We have booked a 14 day stay for our anniversary in April .
We ate most of our meals at hidden beach . We tried a couple restaurants on the clothing side , they were good but we found that hidden beach was more relaxing and the food was better. Definitely the service was more intimate because of the smaller resort feel.
The only unfortunate thing is the beach, it's a bit rocky so bring water shoes.
We did the NudeCruise. It was really nice. Snorkeling and a BBQ on the beach. It was raining earlier on the day we went so alot of people canceled .
There were only 3 couples on this one so it was like a private cruise. The concierge from Hidden Beach Manuel came along with us and he made sure that we had a great time.. Again I can't say enough about he staff.
So speaking of the staff , I would like to say thanks for a wonderful stay. Manuel, Itzchell, Greselda, Esperanza, Carlos, Alelejandro, Pedro, all the servers that made our meals so nice. THANK YOU !! So very much for a great time!!
If you want a great massage try Mario he knows how to work out all the kinks in a back.
Daniel who was incharge of entertainment no easy task considering how lazy a group we all were . But he managed to be very entertaining.

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank Redlin7280

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just returned from a disappointing trip to Hidden Beach. We had booked our trip directly with HBR 8 months in advance, specifying a 'swim up suite'. We had been to HBR previously, and decided having a swim up suite was the only way to go. When we arrived, we were told they had no swim up suites available! After an hour and a half of arguing with them we were faced with either finding transportation back to Cancun and finding another hotel, or taking a 2nd floor room that stunk of mildew, or a 3rd floor room. Unfortunately I am recovering from a fractured neck and back surgery , which makes climbing stairs that are constantly wet and slippery and have no handrails a dangerous proposition (which had no sway on there decision to not honor my reservation). We ultimately took the 3rd floor room, too tired from travel to leave and find other lodging. The moral of the story is DO NOT COUNT ON GETTING THE ROOM YOU BOOK!!!
On to the resort itself. A hotel that charges first class prices should have first class facilities. They have nice large walk in showers, but didn't bother to put in self balancing water control valves....every shower was an adventure in being frozen or scalded. They have nice new
comfortable beds, with sheets to small to stay tucked in, so you're constantly tangled up in the sheets.I received a message on the telephone giving me our pick-up time for the return trip, which I couldn't hear because the phone malfunctions.
We did do a couples massage on the beach which was relaxing and enjoyable, but a little pricey. Pretty aggravating when you here management offer the same massage to a travel group next to you for half price! My wife went to the spa for a manicure/pedicure that cost $131.00 (almost twice the price of any salon in the states). We don't mind spending top dollar if we get top service, her nail polish fell off by the next day...she had to take another hour out of her sun time to have them repaired. By the way, both reservations were screwed up, making her time at the spa longer than it need have been. Four years ago the food at HBR and Eldorado was very tasty if not gourmet quality. This trip the food was barely edible! Every kind of beef, pork or veal tasted like pot roast. I made the mistake of ordering sushi at the oriental restaurant, a Japanese sushi chef would rather commit 'Hari Kari' than serve sushi like that! It was horrible.
The wait staff was wonderful as usual, they almost make up for all the short comings of HBR management. Just a note on 'all inclusive', The advertising says gratuities are included, if you have any compassion for you fellow man you need to tip the wait staff and housekeepers,
management pays most of them the princely sum of $5 a day!

On to the night life. Depending on how full the hotel is predicates whether they will have live entertainment and a lively fun party, or 2 or 3 couple's sitting around having a few drinks. If you go for a moonlight stroll on the beach you will likely see people having sex, on the beach
beds, the hammocks, the hot tubs, etc. Please be aware that if you like to keep your presence at a clothing optional place private, the no photography rule was completely ignored! No telling where our pictures will show up on the web...
Again, the wait staff, bartenders and activities directors were wonderful, we did relax and have fun in the sun and pool, between onerous trips to the 3rd floor.
We wish that HBR had a bar, in the shade and not in the water for daytime use. We will think long and hard before booking another trip to HBR!!

Room Tip: No matter what room you book you will likely not get it!
13  Thank Bill M

Dear Bill

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experiences at the Hidden Beach Hotel and I'm very sorry for what seemed to have been a disappointing visit.

We do apologize if you did not receive the room booked. Unfortunately we can not confirm this as we do not have the details of your reservation to review and check the room booked to the room that yo received on arrival.

Unfortunately it seems as though your experiences were not typical of those that our guests usually encounter. We can assure you that we carefully consider each and every comment made by our valued guests and we will certainly use your feedback to make the necessary improvements.

Many Thanks & Best Regards

Reviewed October 16, 2012

…hard to leave, this place we now call our second home. After three years absence, it was amazing to see the changes, meet new members of the staff and visit with staff we’ve known for years.

First and foremost, there is a substantial change in the attitude of all the employees. They are more excited to be working there than we’ve ever seen. More consistent days off, break times and empowerment by management to be more actively involved with input on how to make things better for guests and themselves. How this has happened, PASSION! And it starts from the top, from the owners, to most importantly two individuals at the resort, Paula Negrete – the General Manager and Enrique Vega – the Resident Manager. They set the tone for what guests experience and for that we are grateful!

Aside from what others have posted, there are areas that I feel need to be mentioned.
1) THE GROUNDS: First impressions are STUNNING! We took the time to understand why and how they make it so. The gardeners and maintenance crews spend hours paying detailed attention to their work that it is true artistry. One of the head gardeners, Bruno a 56 year-old man, is out on the beach each morning at 6:00AM, raking the seaweed, rain or shine! Then planting, pruning and sweeping until 5:00PM. The maintenance crew was constantly repairing cracks in walkways with beautiful designs with hand placed stones.
2) THE FOOD: Definitely has been pushed up to a higher level. I can only attribute this to the executive chef, Griselda Rodriguez. This young woman’s life is solely focused on her career, taking gastronomy to the highest level possible. Her staff was always cheerful and happy in their work and the meals reflected their passion as well.
3) SUSTAINABILITY: In addition to a recycling program, they now have a supply of fresh vegetables and herbs grown in greenhouses on the grounds at El Dorado Royal. This ensures better quality food on your plate and the taste difference, try it, you’ll like it. Also, I would like to encourage other guests to inquire about the painted baby coconut palms on the picnic tables by the outdoor grill, we were glad we did!

More often than not, guests at resorts take for granted all that goes on behind the scenes. This trip we truly understand how and why this is an extra special spot. Getting to know more of the staff surely enhanced this visit beyond our expectations. So stop, take just a moment out of your vacation time to say a simple “thank you” to any staff member.

My heartfelt “GRACIAS POR TODO” to…
Anicieto, Carlos, Hiram, Esperanza, Grizelda, Galdino, Angel, Porfirio, Marcelino, Itzchel, Pedro, Jesus, Alex, Sariah, Rosy, Raul, Manuel, Oscar, Reina, Daniel, Brenda, David, Nancy and the list goes on…”Inklakesh”

12  Thank CTinSO

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 2 night stay at Hidden Beach. This was a buisness/pleasure trip as my wife is a travel agent and we went to see a few resorts in the Riviera Maya area. I have read several bad trip reports on this site about Hidden Beach and for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would have had a bad experience at this resort. I understand everyone's experience is unique to there trip but we have stayed at many resorts throughout the caribbean, mexico and all points inbetween. On our first impression being shown the grounds..my wife's first comment was how beautiful the resort was. Next being shown the beach, pool, restaurant and our room we could only comment on how stunningly beautiful this resort was. The rooms are immaculate and the mini-bar well stocked and refilled everyday. The only down side in the room was shower water temp(it fluctuated as you showered) Yes they only have 1 restaurant but let me say this. I'm a foodie and the culinary experience at Hidden Beach is top notch gourmet. If you want to further your culinary experience you can dine next door at El Dorado Seaside Suites(you must wear cloths) We ate next door and the food was as equally satisfying as at Hidden Beach. Now for the best part of our stay...The people...On our first venture down to the pool..several couples came up and introduced themselves to us and we made many friends while staying there and plan on meeting up with them on future stays there. The staff is what makes Hidden Beach stand out even further...From the waiters..Jesus and Angel to the bartender..Hiram and to last but not least Esperanza! They meet you once and they instantly remember your names for the rest of your trip and they go well above and beyond to accomadate you during your stay. Would we stay here again?? ABSOLUTLY!!!..We are already trying to plan our next stay and this time it will be for 1 week! I would also like to throw out a shout out to Oscar...He is in charge of pretty much everything at Hidden Beach as he works endlessly to ensure you have a pleasurable stay there.

10  Thank sensei008