“Wonderful, Relaxing vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 31, 2007

My husband and I just returned on Friday from our first time at HBR. We went for our 10 year anniversary. It was wonderful. I cannot say enough about the staff, they are excellent and will make sure you have anything and everything you need. The food was excellent as were the rooms. Everything was perfect. It was one of our most relaxing and enjoyable vacations.

We would recommend this resort to anyone who is interested in an Au Naturel enviroment. It was heaven.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Browninva
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed October 22, 2007

We have made several trips to HBR and everyone gets better than the last. I don't know why PhineasFogg wrote the review he did. We have found that the folks at HBR will go out of their way to make things right. I wouldn't be surprised if there were an ulterior motive for his review. But even if it is accurate, rest assured that his experience isn't the norm.

I don't want to repeat what you've read time and time again, but I will say that HBR provides excellent food, great accomodations, wonderful staff, etc., etc. No pressure. Just relax and have a great time.

I encourage you to give HBR a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank IB4UT1
EDSS S, Director de Recepción at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2016

Reviewed October 10, 2007

From the very moment of our arrival I knew this was a different breed of hotel. We were greeted by name and the registration process was the easiest ever.... We were taken to our room, where there was a bottle of champagne, a hot bubble bath waiting and wonderful view of the ocean... The wait staff quickly learns your names and habits and can then tailor their service 'just for you'. We liked our coffee served at the oceans edge under the palapas.
Although it was off season and there were only a handful of guests, they were fully staffed and all services were made available to us. Carla, the activities director was the best... always being creative. The waiters, front desk, bartenders and cleaning and maintence staff were all just great. The food was very good, and if you didn't see it on the menu and you wanted it, all you had to do is ask.
I had 2 hot stone massages and my husband had one swedish... don't leave without getting at least one massage of your choice.
Make sure you make the 'naked cruise'.... I am an avid snorkler and Pepe will be more than glad to take you out to the farther reefs which were excellent.... and for those who like to stick closer to the boat..... it was fun 'feeding the fish'.
Lomas travel took incredible care getting us to and from the airport and on our excursions... although we only left the resort twice, once for Talum and once for the 'naked cruise'.
We met wanderful people and will back in May for our anniversary. Although you are not required or even encourage to tip.... We did leave individual tips at the end for those who really went way above and beyond.... and that was quite a few people.....

Stayed: September 2007
8  Thank HiddenHoney

Reviewed September 25, 2007

After booking through Castaways travel for a time period of about 9 months prioir to departure the day finally arrived to leave on our trip...Let me start by saying I am a very busy person and get restless very quick so I was somewhat sceptical of the little bit of activities offered. I did nothing for 7 glorious days except get naked and relax. The food was fair, the drinks were fair, the service was outstanding! The folks who run/work the resort do everything and anything to make your stay as positive as possible. The highlite was the fact you could be naked anywhere, anytime and just relax. WOW......warm breezes, warm water.......ahhhhhhhhh.....Am I going back definitely and not soon enough! Hope to see you there!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ricarie

Reviewed August 30, 2007

Stay away from this resort! After prepaying before my arrival, I found a $2,000.00 additional charge on my credit card after I returned home from my vacation. It took a hundred emails to the resort, where they promised to correct the mistake, but never did. I finally called my credit card company and they had to credit my account even though the resort did not. I had the bill proving the amount that was prepaid and the credit card company took care of it because they realized the resort was dishonest.

As for the resort itself the ambience was not the gourmet, high-class location they make out on their web page. The bartender asked me if I wanted a prostitute and some (but not all) of the guests were swingers on the prowl. I met a few good people from the UK there and the cruise was good, but the cruise did not make up for the problems. I reserved the best suite and they put me next to a disco that blasted raucous music into my room all night. As for swimming, forget it. If you leave the little area of knee-high water, the staff yells at you to come back into shore. I ignored them one time and you can walk a mile out and not get to waist - deep water.

There are many much better naturist resorts. Hidden Beach misses every mark there is.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
20  Thank PhileasFogg_Chicago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us at the Trip Advisor portal with regards to tyour recent stay at our Hotel.

We are very sorry to read that you we did not live up completely to the expectations you have set before us and we truly hope that there is a possibility to have an opportunity and welcome you once more at our Hidden Beach Resort or one of our Hotels by Karisma.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed at HBR for the 7 days ending July 26th, in swim up suite #1101 which was located farthest away from the bar. Someone earlier had written to stay as close to the bar as possible – well maybe if you’re an exhibitionist and don’t mind people dining right in your face (almost.) Being that close to the swim up bar, dining area and the disco thing upstairs would certainly require ear plugs at night. The upstairs (disco) by the way is not air-conditioned but rather use fans….a little hot and humid! Most of what other have written TripAdvisor about HBR is accurate, this trip we found the food to be good for breakfast and lunch – dinner was lacking, so we dined next door for a couple of evenings. Much better food at the El Dorado. There is apparently some dress code (other than not being nude) for the restaurants next door but we went in shorts, t-shirt and sandals and no one said anything. If you’re tempted to order off the (pay) wine list, you better order hours in advance as apparently the wines are hard to find for some of the employees. Pricey at best – Sutter Home White Zinfandel = $35.00 750ml bottle. Moet & Chandon champagne or Louis Roederer Estate Brut for $100.00 a bottle and saving the best for last; Dom Perignon at only $400.00 U.S. (slightly chilled.) All the staff was extremely pleasant. No one remembers how I took my coffee. All of the mixed bar drinks had an aftertaste similar to the sugar substitute sweet’n low. The covered swimming pool (which is not open) others have mentioned is really next door that within a few years will be a completed expansion of HBR. Smoking is allowed just about everywhere, you can request a non-smoking room, but your next door neighbor may be puffing away. Too bad they don’t have all the non-smoking rooms in one section. Everyone must have there own idea about tipping in an all-exclusive’ resort. Castaways says, “No tipping allowed.” HBR says, “There is no tipping policy established; is up to you to compensate the service staff with whatever you think is adequate given the attention they provide you.” Go figure. So we tried tipping sometimes – interesting to watch the staff run to the bar instead of walking after tipping. For first time visitors you may want to check up on “Exotic Travel Club” before arriving by going to TripAdvisor. Castaways included a $500.00 certificate with the air-ground-resort package we purchased. This is good if you attend a one on one presentation similar to a time-share thing. It is very low keyed, no pressure, 1 hour chat - and you do get the $500.00 to use during your stay if you buy into the ‘club’ or not. We didn’t. It may not be that bad if you do a lot of traveling – prices seem to start at around $6900.00!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank John I
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Best regards

Reviewed July 21, 2007

My wife and I stayed at HBR for 7 nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff at this resort are very good at keeping a smile on your face. We did go on a sailboat ride, which you can book for Wednesdays. The snorkeling was fantastic with very beautiful fish. I really enjoyed the other guests during our stay, especially gathering
at the pool for volleyball competition. If you like to relax, then this is the one resort to visit. We have met some neat friends and certainly will be back to HBR for our next vacation. The food is excellent, drinks are just as you like and the service is top notch. We visited the next door El Dorado Seaside Suites and walked out on the pier, don't forget to bring food for the fish because there are quite a few waiting at the T-Head. We also took a colectivo ($2/person) to Playa Del Carmen which is approximately a 20 minute ride. Did some shopping and visited the Tequila Barrel and Senor Frog's. The weather was excellent with only a 30 minute shower on 2 days. I would recommend that you pack lightly - we brought way to many clothes. This was our first time in an Au naturel environment and I have to say the freedom was delightful. When we were there the next door El Dorado had over booked and several couples were given the option of staying at HBR and all were happy they got too join in on the fun. I could go on and on that this was such a nice vacation, but I will just have to go back and do this again.
Dave&Char