“Oh my goodness!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Oh my goodness!!!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My Mom and I went on Vacation to the Maya Riveria for her birthday and because I had not been on vacation for 4 years. We wanted to be pampered! Casitas really delivered on this. Every whim was catered to without question. The rooms were wonderful. the balcony was wonderful the pool was wonderful. We had no problem with finding a shuttle when needed. The food was good. I can not say enough about how wonderful it was. We will return again and again. Special mention to Guadalupe, Froncisco, Leo, Primo, Diego, Adriana, Leo, Alberto!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank trina1122
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear trina1122,
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your mother's birthday, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards
Beat Müller
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,774)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This was our sixth visit to El Dorado Royale, our third time staying in the Casitas. We obviously love this place and do not want to try any other all-inclusive resort, because we are afraid we would be disappointed after such amazing experiences here. Each time we have been to the resort, it seems to have gotten even better than it was before. It is really nice that they keep the resort updated and clean, and don't let it deteriorate with time.

Although the rooms on the El Dorado Villa side are nice, we will likely always choose to stay in the swim-up Casitas in the future because they seem to be more secluded and private. The only downfall to staying the Casita section is that most restaurants are at least a 10-minute walk away, but we enjoy the exercise after laying on the beach all day. There are shuttles available to transport you around the resort as well, but we rarely used them. The food has always been great, but seemed to be even better this time. We love that they use their own fresh produce grown in their greenhouse. The room service was also exceptional. The service throughout the resort is mostly wonderful. Almost every employee seems to really enjoy their job and wants to go above and beyond to make sure you have an amazing experience.

There are only a few negative things we have experienced here, but they are minor enough that we can overlook them and still really enjoy our vacation. It seems that every time we have visited the resort, we have had some sort of issue with the spa. Each time we have enjoyed a couples massage on the beach and the service itself has been wonderful. The problem seems to be with the scheduling of the spa services. Each time our concierge asks us our preference for male or female massage therapists and each time, this seems to be mixed up. Also, the staff that works in the reception area of the spa always seem to be the least friendly in the entire resort. But in the end, the massage is worth the trouble. Another inconvenience relating to the spa, is that a representative from the spa comes by the beach beds several times per day trying to sell their services. Each time we simply stated that we already scheduled a service and they promptly left us alone, but it is slightly annoying that they come by multiple times daily. I feel that once per day would be easier to overlook. The last negative thing I will mention is that the beach is not the prettiest, nor the most pleasant to swim in. There are large sandbags in the ocean and it is quite rocky in most areas. Walking along the beach is not a problem, but we do not usually choose to get in the ocean, nor do we see many people enjoying it most likely due to it's condition. This is really the least of our concerns as we are more pool people than ocean people, but I could see how this could be a major issue for someone that enjoys getting in the ocean.

Overall, we love El Dorado Casitas Royale and we will be back many more times, I hope! We recommend this place to all of our friends and many have been and enjoyed it just as much. The only person I would not recommend this resort to is someone who loves to spend time in the ocean and would enjoy a nicer beach and ocean experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I recently spent a week at this resort and we truly enjoyed every minute of our experience! The grounds of the resort are very well maintained and the Casita that we stayed in was stunning. The staff is very welcoming and accommodating to any questions that you may have. We didn't have enough time to visit as many of the restaurants as we would have liked. But we very much enjoyed the food at D'Italia and Jo Jo's. We loved being steps away from the beach but we also liked spending time in the pool by our room. Guirmo, our pool bartender, was wonderful to work with! If you are considering a stay at this resort, do yourself and favor and book it because I am quite certain you will enjoy your stay just as much as we did.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brett M
Reviewed July 19, 2014

One word: AMAZING!!! After a lot of research (and a previous stay at Maroma), we chose El Dorado Casitas (and Royale) for our destination wedding. This is the perfect location if you're considering a destination wedding.
Location: Less than 30 mins from the airport.
Different room locations within the resort: We relaxed and had privacy in the Casitas section, along with a couple of our friends. They upgraded us to the Presidential Suite and it was unbelievable. I cried I was so happy and grateful when the concierge surprised us with this! Some of our guests stayed at the Royale so that they could enjoy a livelier environment with more activities. Generations is right next door, so if you have children, this would be a great place to stay and Royale guests can come over to visit you as well (but the children cannot come to the Royale or Casitas section).
The only possible negative is the size of the resort. We didn't mind, as we chose this resort so that the 18 of us could be spread out and enjoy each of our own vacations before the wedding ceremony. We are very active, so enjoyed running the two-mile-long path each AM; however, it was a bit much to walk that far when meeting up with other guests at night or going to dinner. They do have golf carts, but you have to time it/wait about 15 mins and then sometimes they would be full. This didn't bother us too much, but if you don't enjoy walking a lot, this could be a vacation spoiler.
Food: It is definitely worth purchasing a room in the Casitas section, as they'll make dinner reservations for you. This is nice because some of our guests in the Royale section had to wait almost an hour at some places. If you're traveling with a group, keep in mind they're very strict about only allowing tables of 4 (even if the restaurant is empty). Each restaurant had good food (and we enjoyed room service for breakfast), but our favorites were D'Italia Casitas, Sante Fe Grill and Kampai. JoJo's is nice because you can sit outside by the ocean and there's a bar right beside of it if you have to wait for a table. The Healthy Corners were great! They provide wraps, salads, smoothies and list the nutritional value for each.
Bars: Our swim-up bar was fantastic! Quiet and friendly. The martini bar in the Royale lobby is nice, air-conditioned, large area with sofas, great place to meet friends before dinner. Our favorite bar was a quieter one around Casitas 25 (Gaviotas). The bartender, Jovany, was incredibly friendly, talked with us each day, waved to us as we walked by each time, shared stories with us, genuinely excited for our upcoming wedding, remembered what we drank and provided good recommendations for new drinks to try. He ended up bartending at our reception on the beach and made me my special margarita in a coconut shell. Truly made our trip!!
Staff: This is what makes this resort (all Karisma resorts, actually). PHENOMENAL PEOPLE!! Everyone is friendly, smiling, remembers you, goes out of their way to ensure you have anything and everything you need! I cannot explain how wonderful they are and will never be able to thank them enough for making our trip(s) so special and relaxing! A HUGE THANKS to our wedding planners as well! We didn't have to worry about a thing. They went over every detail when we arrived, down to each minute of our wedding day. It only took an hour and we felt so comfortable and relaxed the day of the ceremony. Thank you to everyone, especially Angelica! We actually saw her on a return trip to another Karisma resort this summer and she remembered us! WOW!
Wedding: We chose Gazebo 55 for our location, as it's right on the beach and at the farthest end of the resort, so it was the most private area. After our ceremony, we had the reception right on the beach beside of the gazebo. This was the ideal location! We chose to have a cocktail hour with mexican flair, so we had the donkey come in after our photo session. What a great idea! This really livened up the guests and everyone enjoyed having photos made with him! We brought a polaroid camera for guests to use and keep their own photos. This was a hit and kept guests occupied while we were doing our wedding photos. The photographer was great! Alex from Caribe Photo. He was so friendly, encouraged natural shots, and truly captured our happiness that day. We had photos made with him, Jovany, and the wedding coordinators because we felt like they were part of our celebration. We picked up the pictures two days after the wedding. They already had them in neat leaf-like photo albums. We also received print outs and a disc with all photos on it!! We received the "honeymoon package" and received extras such as candle light dinner on the beach, champagne in the room, turn-down service, 2-for-1 beach massages.
SPA: Beautiful, relaxing, great massage. The girls spent a morning here before the wedding while the guys went deep-sea fishing. What a great experience!
OVERALL: We loved it so much that we bought an Exotic membership and returned to another Karisma resort a couple weeks ago. The people and beautiful grounds of El Dorado Casitas was absolutely amazing! We will never forget how special this trip was and how incredibly easy and fun it was to get married there. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Casitas section 25-27 are closer to restaurants at Royale, but still give you privacy and places to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Seananderica H
Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The El Dorado Casitas is an incredible resort. The absolute best resort I've stayed at in Mexico. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The food is incredible and the sites are amazing. The staff went out of their way to help us out. The rooms are beautiful and clean and the resort is kept incredibly clean. So much fun.Our travel agent www.thetravelsmiths.com was all over it!! Sally and her staff made our trip memorable. I would book any trip through them, I live in Canada and they are in New Jersey!!!! The only travel agent I will ever use!!! Can't wait for next year!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Casitas for our honeymoon.
Here is my quick review of the resort!

Travel- Extremely easy to get to from the airport, travelling within the resort we used bikes a lot or grabbed a "taxi" (golf cart) along the walking path. Very convenient! They even offer complimentary shuttles to Cancun and Playa del Carmen which I thought was fantastic and a great way to explore outside of the resort (not that you need to, there is so much to do!)

Food- AMAZING! Each restaurant had its own unique décor and entrees. Extremely knowledgeable wait staff and accommodating to any needs or special requests. The food itself was phenomenal! From beginning to end each meal felt as if we were dining at a 5 star restaurant! The presentation, taste, and selection were beyond our expectations.

Activities- WOW! The great thing about this resort is if you want to stay active (which we do) there are dozens, literally, dozens of activities to do around the resort. We especially enjoyed biking around, snorkeling, and Ping-Pong. From exercise classes, to biking to their jungle and "farm", they have it all! They also had great music and shows each night, AMAZING! Book a 7 o'clock dinner, walk along the beach, then enjoy the shows until 11, perfect way to spend each evening.However, if you want to stay low-key and secluded with your special one, they have that option as well! It was a perfect combination of relaxation and excitement! Special shout out to Christian, who was a great tour guide and helped with any questions we had. Also, be sure to get a private tennis lesson (or group lessons) with Victor the on-site professional tennis player! My forehand is killer now! My husband went twice he enjoyed it so much!

Spa- We indulged in two massages two separate days. All of our masseuses were very professional and attentive, Daniel, Wendy, Rafa, and one gentlemen I cant remember his name kind of older but amazing strength! (sorry I forgot your name!) I also had a nail polish change and my nail technician was a sweetheart! It was just her and I and we shared stories and practiced our English and Spanish together. Great services all around! Not to mention the Spa; the pools, saunas, and relaxation zone were HEAVENLY! You MUST treat yourself to the Spa at least once (or twice :-D) while you are there!

Services- Impeccable. Every person you ran into whether it was the gardener, hostess, or room service were beyond friendly and open to helping you with anything! I speak Spanish, and my husband did not. It is definitely not necessary to Speak the language, but it is fun to practice! The employees are kind and patient with the language barrier and are very well spoken in English and Spanish. I can not say enough about the attentiveness, friendliness, and professionalism every employee exemplified.

Obviously we had the trip of a lifetime, I would suggest this to honeymooners, groups of friends, families (no children), or ANYONE who would enjoy great food, great entertainment, and great service! We are already rallying our friends and planning a group trip there soon! BOOK NOW!

Hope to come back soon!
Besos,
Sam y Erica Sucher
6/21-7/3

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sucher's S
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Sucher's S,
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. . It was terrific to read that you felt it we are an amazing property and truly appreciated the constructive feedback from our staff they will be happy to know that you have mentioned them, they will be considered under our diamond staff.
I am sure that many of our trip advisor fellow readers will definitely appreciate your recommendations and suggestions.
Thank you for recognizing us as your top choice. We feel honored to also represent Mexico as worldwide destination.
My most respectful greetings to you from sunny Mexico

Best regards
Beat Müller
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx
Vidor, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Let me start by saying my review might be a bit bias. We went with the DDP Yoga Retreat group and were lucky enough to have Sally Jane Smith and her assistant Meghan of TravelSmiths on site during our trip to handle all of group's needs. Between TravelSmiths and the staff of the hotel, we were very spoiled!

The hotel itself is beautiful! A tropical paradise. You could walk around the resort just staring at the beautiful scenery all day and be in heaven. They are constantly cleaning and maintaining the property so nothing is ever out of place.

I read a few reviews about the beaches being horrible with sandbags. There are sandbags - in the water - and they are there for a reason! The beaches have soft, white sand that is perfect for running your toes through! The water is clear and gorgeous.

There are several restaurants. Our favorite was Sante Fe although I will admit we did not have time to try them all. We did have a few problems understanding exactly what was on the menu at times but the staff was always kind enough to explain and answer questions. In our group, we have several people opting to eat gluten-free and dairy-free and they were very accommodating to those needs as well. If you have food allergies, be aware of cross contamination. That was an issue at the Health Bar for one of our group.

My husband and I did have the couples massage at the spa. Go for the Sky massage! Even if it's hot outside the breeze from the ocean will keep you comfortable. We had Sara and Josefina as our therapist. Do not be fooled by the size of the little ladies with their tiny hands! We had the deep tissue massage and they will put the hurt on you! Excellent massage for our stiff muscles after all the work outs from our DDP Yoga sessions.

We choose the Ocean View Swim Out Junior Suite. Loved having the lazy river right outside our door. Great place to start our day with coffee and hang out with a few friends and meet new friends. Amazing view of the resort as well. I thought we had an excellent room but after seeing rooms of other members in the group, I think all the rooms are probably pretty amazing. The biggest difference would be access to the lazy river, the view, etc. The mini bar was stocked with beer, cokes, and water when we arrived. Small tip - we are not beer drinkers. A quick stop by our Concierge desk and Zulla and Angelita fixed us right up. More water and cokes delivered - beer removed.

Visit your Concierge upon arrival for info on dinner reservations, activities, etc. We probably didn't utilize ours as much as we could have because we had our TravelSmiths team onsite. I was impressed that they knew our names when we walked by and always spoke. They also called about mid way through our stay to see if we needed anything and automatically arranged for us to be picked up from our room on check out day.

The night life was entertaining. Always something going on. Venture out and see what you can find or kick back and enjoy the view. Either way, you are sure to enjoy yourself.

I know it says tips are included but tip your staff! All your staff - wait staff, maids, etc. These people are working hard, in the hot temps, smiling, catering to your every need. Every staff member we met was friendly and had a smile on their face.

A few cons - could not find a Diet Dr. Pepper anywhere on this resort! Also, the coffee was horrible. If you make it in your room, use two of the little bags and it makes it a little better. We had a small issue with one dinner reservation being messed up. The matter was addressed and resolved quickly and professionally. The shuttles do not run as often as you might like. Walk and learn the short cuts or plan ahead, be prepared to wait, and make the best of your wait time. Washcloths seemed to be nonexistent in our room. We had some the first day but then they disappeared never to be seen again.

Overall, amazing experience and we will be back next year!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room in your budget. They are all beautiful and sure to please!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple