“Beautiful hotel and great Honeymoon love love love it”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #26 of 389 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
sunderland, tyne and wear
“Beautiful hotel and great Honeymoon love love love it”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay at if your on Honeymoon or want a quiet adult only vacation. We booked the Casitas area of the hotel and were really impressed with the rooms we got and the service. As Honeymooners we were given a bottle of Champagne on arrival and enjoyed a lovely massage at the spa as part of the service. The rooms we stayed in were the normal non-swim up casitas section but they more than lived up to our expectations. Clean and airy with a lovely balcony and outdoor shower nice comfy bed fantastic. Can't praise the young man who cleaned our room every day he did such a great job and was always cheerful and happy he did some great towel art as well. The mini bar in the room was stocked daily we used to leave the guy a little tip and he would provide us with anything that we needed. We enjoyed all the food we had at the hotel Jo Jo's does some great fish and chips and Kampai some wonderful sushi. I would in my opinion walk to the buffet restaurant la cocotal or grab a ride on one of the golf carts for Breakfast as they have a great selection. We did order room service on quite a few occasions and the food was always delivered promptly with no problems. However the one thing they don't mention is that if you stay in the Casitas section there is a special room service menu which has sushi on it and seared Tuna loin only for the Casitas room which doesn't come up on the room service menu but if you ask you will get. I think the thing that makes the resort such a good one is the staff who are friendly and really helpful. We had a great time at the pool and on the beach. Cant wait to go back

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendej

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,860)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife went there for only 3 days (wish we had a ton more time), but had a great, relaxing time. We had a swim up pool Casita suite in the 3000 block of suites.

First.. We got a direct transport from Lomas Travel. That was incredible. No stops on the way, directly to the resort and great service by those folks. Our travel agent was right... go straight out of the airport to the guys with the Teal pants and white shirts :) That saved us from the countless attempts by others to get us to listen to a sales pitch.

Once we arrived at the hotel it was fairly quick to get to our suite, even with a tour around the premises in a covered golf cart. Of course we got some complimentary champagne as we got checked in :)

Our room was very nice.. the air conditioner worked very well, no bugs, very clean. The swim up pool and the lazy river led directly to the bar and was a quick way to get a drink and come back (when we chose to come back). The only thing (others have mentioned) is that you either have to leave your sliding door slightly open or go all the way around to get in your door. DON'T forget to have your key on you to get back in if you accidentally close the door (it auto-locks).. we did that several times :) The concierge, though, is a short walk and will call security to get you back in. I did that once and it took a total of about 5 minutes from the time I started walking to the concierge until I was back in my room - very fast.

The swim up bar. Our server was Isaac (probably spelled wrong) and was always on top of things. He was awesome! The pool was nice and there were never too many people to worry about. There were always enough lounge chairs for us when we weren't soaking in the pool. This block did NOT have food (of course there was room service), block 3100 next over did have food - which is nice if you stay in that block - but it was a short walk.

The food: Every time we ate we talked about how good it was. Even the food bar at block 3100 had good food. The restaurants were phenomenal, though. Truly Gourmet food. We ate at most of the restaraunts and never had one complaint. Even the room service food was really good!

Cons: Not much to be honest outside of it being a bit pricey... The outdoor shower was good, but there is no adjustment on the water stream and it was a bit high for a short guy like me. I think that was our room, though, as I heard others say their outdoor shower was much larger (which would give more room to step away from the showerhead). The sliding glass door auto-lock was a con, I guess... because we did lock ourselves out several times :) But that was our own fault! The biggest con was the beach since it was rocky in many parts (coral reef, I think) and in other parts there were big fake reefs (huge sandbags) which stop all the waves. I really wanted to run into the waves on the beach, but that isn't possible here.

Overall.... excellent trip... we will definitely go back, but for more than 3 days!

1 Thank Andrew M
O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the El Dorado Royale for our honeymoon...it was amazing! From our room, service, staff, food, massages on the beach, entertainment at nigh and of course the drinks everything was top notch and just everything we could have asked for on our honeymoon!! We would recommend this hotel to anyone, we did not want to leave and will definently be back very soon!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a Casita suite just amazing...from pictures there is more room, your own outdoor...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank TStamp_13
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Anybody who has issues with EDCR has standards higher than the Queen herself. What a GREAT resort. Kampei is AWESOME. Make sure to ask for Humberto Macho and his section during breakfast and lunch. He makes the stay worthwhile itself. As one of thousands of couples who have rolled through here, more than a 10 out of 10. We were asked to do one of those promos/time share meetings but did our due diligence and respectfully said no and weren't bothered again. STAY HERE and don't listen to all these other whiners!!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Fast personel
Very green
Perfect breakfast buffet
Clean pools
Enough sunbeds at the pools and the beach
Candlelight dinner perfect very nice dessert

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank evinx
Prosper, Texas
Reviewed June 3, 2013

What a great resort to relax. My wife and I stayed at the Casitas Members section from May 23 - 27th. We meet some great couples from across the US and Great Britain.

Regarding food - it is all up to the individual. We ate at Rincon and did not care for the food and others we meet and "warned" thought it was great. So, if you don't like something, go to another place to eat or order room service.

Jose Gomez is the best waiter we have had. We have been to EDR about six times now and he remembers our names, what we like to drink and have for dessert. We like ice cream with chocolate sauce and almonds. They never have everything at La Isla, but he always finds a way to have it for us by the end of the meal. I don't think there was one person we thought was rude.

The beach was rough this time. We usually like to snorkel, but the under tow was too strong and the water was cloudy.

We did use the spa and it can be relaxing but they have started this new Up Charge thing on every treatment " for $15. we can use a special lotion etc..... It felt like we were being put on the spot. We accepted one and declined the others. I know resorts want to make a profit, but if you are at a spa, I think the sales needs to be done at the front end of the house, not right before you end up under the sheets.

Room Tip: I used to get infinity pool upstairs because I did not like the idea of people walking by my room if...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank gknmk
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I checked in, they convinced me to upgrade to the Casita side of the resort for what I thought was a decent deal. Upon arrival to our room we notice they are building a new restaurant directly across from us. Hammers, saws, yelling from 7am - dark everyday...worst part is my wife and I got the flu and were bed ridden for two days. I thought that noise was going to be the death of me. After multiple complaints they call on day 7 of 10 and ask if we want to move rooms...seriously?? They also wasted half of a day on a "suite tour" which was really a sales "push" pitch to get me to pay $15k to be a member of the resort...not cool! Worst of all at check out, no discounts, rebates, and they hid the IPad which you're supposed to give your review on. Terrible management, but great daily staff!!

• Stayed May 2013