“BLISS”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #25 of 395 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Its an adult only resort.We had been to this resort in 2009 but stayed on the other side in a swim up suite. We loved it so decided to go back. We returned October 2012 We were anxious as sometimes when you return to a place you can be disappointed. This was certainly not the case. This time, to be different we stayed in a swim up suite on the casitas side. OMG!! What an experience.
ARRIVAL:
Driven in a buggy round to casitas private reception. Glass of champagne and refreshing flannel given. Fast and efficient and informative reception.
ROOM:
Large, airy with air conditioning. Plenty of wardrobe space. Very large, and extremely comfy bed.
Table and chairs as well as dressing table. TV. Mini bar that is stocked daily with beer, water, coke, fanta, juices and snacks. Large whirlpool tub with appropriate toiletries and towels.
Bathroom with 2 sinks, toilet and bath leading to outside private shower. Hairdryers in bathroom. Plenty of towels provided
Balcony is a good size with bed and table and chairs. Lace netting for privacy
Balcony leads out to private pool and lazy river. Both of which are kept immaculate by the pool man, who gets in the water and cleans the tiles with a brush as well as usual water cleaning. Hardworking man.
Room has housekeeping daily, as well as evening turn down service. Room was spotless. Maid made beautiful animals out of the towels.
Privacy respected.
T shirts and toiletries given to us for being returning customers.
Room service was efficient with food of an excellent standard.
RESORT
We tried all of the restaurants and bars and loved them. We found ample choice. We also thought the alcoholic drinks were strong enough, contrary to other people's comments.
You don't have to tip if you don't want to but we did. We did $1 for breakfast, $2 for lunch and $3 for dinner.
We found all staff to be kind, happy and more than helpful. Mind you, we treat them how we want to be treated ourselves. The way some guests treat staff is atrocious.
The resort is large with plenty to do. We loved walking. If you don't want to walk then a buggy goes past regularly. Some guests moaned about the size of the resort and having to walk. All I can say is, get a life, what else is there to do on holiday. The size of the resort meant it didn't feel squashed.
Swim up bars were fab. Great cocktails created by bar staff. Staff also came round with ice creams and lollies.
Beach was lovely and clean. The humps are not unsightly, and at the end of the day they are there to protect and enhance the reef.
Night entertainment was great.
SIGHTSEEING
We booked through first choice, so did our excursions with them. I recommend Tulum, Chichen Itza and Captain Hook. All fabulous.
We wanted to go shopping so the hotel arranged a taxi driver to take us to the shopping centre the locals use. The driver was ace. He parked the car, then took us up to where the shops were, he then arranged a time and meeting place to pick us up. The shopping centre was a 30 mins drive away from hotel. The taxi driver billed us $80. Well worth it. He also gave us loads of info on local area.
CHECKOUT
Fast, efficient and stress free
WEATHER
When we go it is the rainy season. The rain doesn't usually last long and it is still warm. The temperature is usually 25 - 30 degrees centigrade. The rain doesn't bother us though as there is lays plenty to do.
MOSQUITOS
The 2 times we have been, the first had loads of Mosquitos,and the second hardly had any. My tips are:
Take electric plug in mosquito vapour and switch it on at tea time in your room
Take anti mosquito wrist bands and wear if you go out for the day, and when your out at night
Take anti mosquito spray for clothes. If you're going on day trips then the night before you go, choose and spray clothes you will be wearing. In an afternoon choose and spray clothes you will be wearing for the evening
Take anti histamines, just in case
Take after bite pen, just in case.
TOUR COMPANY AND FLIGHT
Booked on line through first choice. No problems. Flew with Thomson. Recommend upgrade on flight to premium economy. It's fantastic. Comfy seats. More room. Quieter environment. Excellent service. Good choice of films.
SUMMARY
Absolutely loved everything about the holiday. Couldn't fault it. We have decided to go back there every other year. Would go every year but we want to try new places.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are ace. You have your own bit of private pool. All rooms are suites
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank doglovers25
Write a ReviewReviews (5,076)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

On arrival there were 20+ guests all travelling for a friends wedding, the service was excellent. We were taken to our rooms and shown around. We went to all of the restaurants the resort had to offer. The Mexican was our favourite and the Chinese but no so much either of the Italians but that is just personal choice. The service could some times be extremely slow even of there were only a few tables full. We found being English they were not particularly bothered in being friendly or providing the service we would had expected for a 5*. The pool was lovely being a large group we did take up a large majority of seating but we did managed to keep the same spot for two weeks. The entertainment at night was brilliant until the singers came on after each show to perform a set which could be very dull as they tended to sing the same songs each night. The biggest draw back was in our block ( unfortunately I cannot remember the number) we had not only taken a lot of money in Mexican Pesos but also American Dollars for any excursions but my fiancé liked to keep track of the money and having been there for a week he counted up and we had been writing down what had been spent as you pay for additional extras at the end of your stay when checking out. Well this is when we noticed around £120 worth of American dollars had been taken and approx £50 worth of Pesos . My fiancé immediately went to reception knowing full well we had kept the money locked up and we definitely had not spent it. They came down searched all our room and advised they would do an investigation. After a couple of days we had not heard anything so my fiance contacted reception again who advised us nobody sent to be suspicious or admitted this so the case had been dropped. I personally went to reception and said we were not happy and after around 30 minutes negotiated a free candle lit dinner on the beach - better than the free bottle of champagne they were trying to fob us off with. The rest of the holiday was enjoyable and the wedding we attended on the beach was nothing but magical and romantic . The end of the holiday came and on the last night what should happen again but the father of the bride who was the only other person to stay in the same block as ourselves had found money missing from his safe !!! On going to reception he asked knowing full well our experience if anybody had ever reported an incident like this they said "No" I beg to differ !!!! So as we were flying home the following day they advised they would do an investigation and email him, 3+ months later and still no email. Stay at your own peril is all I can say lovely hotel but we would never go back

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ellabellaDerbyshire
Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment we arrived I was very pleased, I gave my name and they already had everything ready and while I signed in they sent somebody to get me and my wife drinks. When they took us to our room we were greeted by every employee we passed. The food was amazing! I would definatly recommend the swim up suit, it was so nice to have our own private area. I only stayed 5 days and didnt have nearly enough time to do everything the resort had to offer. I have already told all my friends how great it was and will be going back as soon as I can.

Room Tip: My room faced the garden and I would recommend an ocean view if you want more sun to come in.
1  Thank Nick D
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at several resorts across Mexico and I can attest that none is better than the EL Dorado Royale Casita Suites. The food, service and Casita Suites are the best I have ever experienced. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The grounds are always beautiful and cleaned daily. The restaurants have excellent food and the bars offer a wide variety of drinks! I met people from all over the world and everyone agreed that the EL Dorado is the nicest place they have ever stayed. Just do not think that you will find anything better!

Room Tip: Pick a Casita pool side suite..you will not regret it!
2  Thank Michael F
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We really enjoyed ourselves, although when we got there the weather was cool,and overcast for the first 2 days and through our 8 day trip it was very very windy! It got to the low 80's somedays but with the wind & humidity, it sure didn't feel that warm. But we had full sun after that which was great! Food was excellent, but be warned, when they say gourmet meals, it truly IS!!! Small portions, not your mainstream food but we didnt have a bad meal at any of the restaurants at the resort. At the gourmet restaurants for dinner, either go early when the restaurant opens, or you will have to have reservations. We ate breakfast at La Isla quite a few times, long walk from casita but the grounds are so beautiful, we didnt mind. There is a LOT of walking so be prepared. Jo Jo's, which isnt too far from La Isla, right on the ocean, has really good food and they have a great bar with swings. Try the Riviera Maya drink, so good! Ask for Victor to be your waiter, he is the best!!! La Cabana Pizzeria, which is over by Jo Jo's has great pizza!! Room service was great, 24/7 but they wont bring you any alcohol. And there is only beer, water, soft drinks in room refrigerator. We stayed in casita 3106 which we really enjoyed. Beautiful view of the ocean! But beware, if you have trouble climbing steps you should definitely stay on the first floor, many steps to climb!! We had an infinity pool on the balcony as well as a double bed. The only thing we were really disappointed in was that ALL of the pools were very cold, we didnt get to swim at all. My husband got into the infinity pool once just to say he did it, didnt stay in long!!! And the outdoor shower was FANTASTIC!!!! Loved it! The beds were so comfortable, we slept really good. My husband used the jacuzzi in the room but when you drained the water out there was a reddish pink ring around the tub which had us wondering what was in their water, not too inviting. The poolside bars close at 5 pm and there is a beach bar not too far from the casita we stayed in but it was so windy, we didnt want to stay there too long. We also had a couples massage which was wonderful. Service in the resort was first class, all the employees tried their hardest to please everyone and they were all so friendly.

Room Tip: It was well worth the extra money to stay in the casitas. It was quieter, more privacy, outside sho...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crjcomm
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We travelled January 2013. This was our third time at El Dorado Casitas. As Welcome Back members I let them know ahead of time our preferences and our travel dates. Not one of our requests were met. At check in I waited until they made the changes to our accommodation as per my original request and I ended up waiting 2 hours past the regular check in time. There were no welcome extras in the room as per their advertizement of this Welcome back feature, neither for us or the other couple we were travelling with. The last time we were there (Feb 2012) they were nice resort credits offered to us, there was nothing this time.

After check in things improved. The food was very good like before, however I found the house wine to be somewhat worse or maybe it's because I am too old to drink bad wine. No problems getting into restaurants and we didn't bother reserving except for twice. We found that often the concierge would tell you there were no tables available but if you went to the restaurant there were plenty available. It all depended on the time you went. Earlier was always better. Nice little nibblies around the pool at lunchtime and popsicles or ice cream in the afternoon. Good service on the beach and around the pool. Had to get up early to get a chair as very few around the pool area in our section (26)

At the time we were there there were at least two weddings and a radio program group none of which were booked into the Casitas, however they took over our pool on occasion to the detriment of the enjoyment of the rest of the Casitas guests. And let's face it, there aren't enough public washrooms (none that I know of) in the Casitas section so we all know where they were relieving themselves. Our concierge came at one point to ask one Royale group to tone it down and not to use the lounge chairs (one girl had removed a Casitas guests things from a chair and he was not happy when he returned!) and eventually they left. I saw that the pool guy came and poured some stuff into the pool right away and skimmed the water, so they knew what was going on!

I think the administration needs to address this issue and if they are going to allow the Royale guests to use the Casitas pools there needs to be a public washroom available to them. The Casitas guests return to their rooms (well the well behaved ones do) when need be, but come on people, think about it! Yecch. For what you pay extra for Casitas it does not seem right to me to allow the Royale guests to use the Casitas pools. Other resorts that have "preference" sections do not allow this. So either put in a public washroom or stop allowing Royale guests into this section.

Up until this holiday I would have said that the El Dorado Casitas was my favourite of all of my AI vacation places but after this time I am willing to look elsewhere. It just missed it this time for me. My husband ended up getting sick towards the end of our holiday, so it has turned him off as well.

Room Tip: Second floor Casitas have view of ocean, first floor walks out to pool.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DesignatedPlanner
Reviewed March 12, 2013

What can i say?!..... Other than i have major holiday blues.

Arrived into Mexico on Saturday 2nd March. Cancun airport was very busy as it was a Saturday apparantly. Swiftly collected our cases, jumped on our transfer bus and away we go.

Transfers took about 30 minues from the airport, upon arrival into the main lobby i was given a glass of champagne (always a bonus!) And taken to the Casitas Section were i would be able to check in. The staff took our luggage and later bought them to our suite. Check in was very easy and everything explained quickly and efficiently which is just what you need after a ten hour flight.

We had Casitas Room 2616, which was a top floor. Huge king size, jacuzzi bath, and indoor shower, and outdoor shower, his and her sinks, additional double bed on balcony, and bottle of champagne on ice (another bonus)!

We only had a week stay so wanted to enjoy as much time as possible at hotel. The staff at this hotel were absolutley fantastic and couldnt do enough for you. Christian and Gaby at the Casitas Concerige were fantastic!, Jesus (beach butler) and bar staff at Casitas were all amazing.

Food? Mmmm mmmm mmmm. If you moan about the food then i really do wonder were you choose to eat back home. Favourite Restaurants were Cocotals for Breakfast and Fuentes for our evening meal. Also Cocktails at this resort are second to none, recomend Bahama Mama and Mango Tangos ..... Delicious!!

Beach is gorgeous. Yes there are sand bags. But you dont get beaches this good back home?!

Also, this hotel is mainly full of Americans. Now I no us English can be loud, but the Americans put us to shame, so if you dont mind it be a little bit louder in the Royale end then thats fine :)

This hotel is 10 out of 10.

If your thinking of booking this hotel then dont hesist ..... BOOK!

Please feel free to email me if you have an questions or queries, i really hope i can afford to go again as i dont think i will find one that will ever be as good as this.

Have fun, and have a Bahama Mama for me ;)

5  Thank JadeyBaby89