“Try the Tomcars”

Fort McDowell Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: You may have seen us on TV's The Amazing Race! Acres of pristine Arizonan foothills play host to a one-of-a-kind real wild west experience with something for everybody! We are the premier outdoor activity and event venue in the great state of Arizona and feature four unique event venues and tons of activities for families and groups! Experience the Sonoran Adventure Center, Friday Night Franks (an authentic western campfire cookout), The Yavapai Experience (a Native American cultural heritage tour, a festive Tequila Bus, horseback riding, cattle drives, off-roading adventures and more!Perfect for weddings, groups, parties and corporate events -- we can accommodate groups of 10-2,000. We've hosted 1,400 guests for a sit down plated dinner at La Puesta del Sol and intimate cowboy cookouts for groups of 10, cattle drives for 400 and team-building events for 20. No matter what size your group and no matter what the occasion, Fort McDowell Adventures has the experiences, venues, and staff to create memories that will last a lifetime.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Tomcars are capable off roading machines that you can ride through the desert. What a blast! Along the way you will see wild horses and some not so wild cattle. The staff is very friendly and helpful The deal is you can drive with one passenger and switch places halfway through the outing. It is a unique experience here near Scottsdale Arizona.

1  Thank Cystokid

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have to admit I'm a little bit afraid of horses so when a friend suggested going with her and a few others on this trail ride, I was a bit hesitant. I've ridden before and even had horses growing up but they just weren't 'my thing'.

Anyways, I got a nice horse named 'Nash' and had a great time. All of the horses were very calm and everyone seemed to have a great 1.5 hour ride.

I loved that the terrain wasn't just flat, we had to go up/down small hills and crossed the river twice. We were lucky enough to see wild horses and even a bald eagle. The weather was absolutely perfect and our guides were very friendly and knowledgeable.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone that might be interested.

1  Thank Lindsay86
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This was a great ride. The guides were knowledgeable and made sure everyone kept up. They had a variety of horses to use, and even chose 'slower' ones for the younger kids we took with us. We had a family of 5, with three of them being 12, 11, and 10. The ride was 2 hours and we enjoyed every moment. We saw some wildlife along the way, including some free range cows and even 2 eagles. We crossed water 3 times, and this was the highlight for the kids. The horses were great, they were easy to ride and easy to control, even for the kids.
I bought this as a groupon, and after doing it, I would pay full price. The female guide was kind and talked to us along the way, interacting with the kids. She even took us out back to show us her own horse and her new baby once we returned.
This is a great adventure, even though we live in the area. This would be fantastic for out of towners to experience a little bit of the wild west, riding through the desert. I highly recommend it! We will definitely go again!
I do recommend wearing jeans, because the horses brush up against cactus and prickly weeds, and also closed toed shoes. Bring sunscreen!
We did not get to see any snakes, but that wouldve been a treat too!

1  Thank Stephnp
Reviewed May 22, 2012

After much searching through the TA Forums, my husband and I decided on the horseback ride with Fort McDowell Adventures, mainly because it was lauded as one of the best scenic routes...and it did not disappoint! From rocky riverbeds, desert sands and cacti, brush, and of course, the highlight of crossing the verde river, there was plenty to see. Although a bit brusque, Ranger, the guide, was very helpful in answering any questions that came up. Who knew you could make jam from some cacti flora? As far as wildlife, we saw some free range cattle, bald eagle and nest, and a few wild horses. As far as our horses, I was a little nervous having not been on a horse since I was a child, but the horse they put me on was mid mannered and easy to handle. Age ranges on our particular ride were about from 7-60+ - no one had any issues with their horses. If you are a more experienced rider, you may be bored by the fact that it's a nose to tail walk...but for the casual rider who wants a bit of spectacular scenery and vistas, this is the place. Easy directions to access from the website. About 30 mins from Phoenix/North Scottsdale. Will return!

3  Thank ukiegirltravels
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Took a 1.5 hour horseback riding trip with Fort McDowell Adventures with Daughter. Very nice ride, crossed a river and saw a bald eagles nest, one eaglet, two full grown bald eagles, a rattler, a king snake, a couple random cows... all in all a very nice ride. :)