“Basta.”

Pasta e Basta
Ranked #4 of 32 Restaurants in Bedoin
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
La Ciotat, France
“Basta.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

On a rainy evening in Bedoin, the Pasta e Basta was crowded with tourists. The tables were placed so close to one another you could hardly move your ellbows while seated. The two waitresses were friendly but had a hard time to handle the crowd. Also the tiny kitchen was hardly able to cope with the amount of orders. As we were one of the last guests, we had to wait quite a while (about 45min for the starters and after finishing the starters, another 30min for the main courses) which wasn't very pleasant considering the rather claustrophobic setting.
But we were looking forward to the food and were in a good mood. A first course of pasta seemed to be a good idea, considering the name of the place and the Patronne being Italien.
So we expected authentic pasta, but the ragù sauce was dry and unseasoned, and the seafood of the second pasta dish was deep frozen food of medium quality. Both plates had pools of cooking water on the bottom. When the second courses finally arrived we were positively suprised by the Entrecote which was juicy and à point while the Dorade was just awful: half a fillet, so dry and firm that, when I tapped it with the knife, the knife would jump back, and it tasted accordingly. I apologized to the waitress, said I couldn't eat it. She took it to the kitchen and when she returned, explained that it couldn't be prepared differently, it was the fish that was like that. Would I like something else.
By then, the air in the crowded room was bad and we were already sitting for quite a while, so we said no thanks, don't worry about the Dorade, emphasized once again that the meat was great, and asked for the bill. They didn't charge the Dorade but did not apologize either. On the contrary, the Patronne seemed to take it personnally, came to the table saying the Dorade was absolutely fine and that she couldn't see any problem with it. She then let us wait for the bill, giving other people priority who had asked for the bill after us. When I lost my patience after 20 minutes, stood up and went to the cashier desk, the Patronne told me in an unfriendly tone I should have stayed seated, she would have come to our table, but we were one of the last people entering the restaurant that evening so we had to wait and anyway, this was no fastfood place (funny thing to say, as we had spend more than two hours in there). Well, we were happy to finally be able to leave and will certainly not return.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank greta3

Oudenaarde
“amazing food at great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just by accident we stumbled on this little gem after driving on/off the Mont Ventoux (with the car ofcourse). For 18,5 euro we got the best meal in the Provence. 3 courses. Wine was good and not expensive per pichet. Lovely warm "Italian Mamma" serving us.

• Visited June 2014
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“If you've just cycled the Mont Ventoux - you need serious PASTA!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband is a passionate cyclist and in the past weeks he's conquered the Mont Ventoux a number of times. Not bad for a man from the flat country (Holland). The best meal he could have wished for was at Pasta e Basta - it brought the widest smile to his face! The menus are great, the quality is very good and the prices are to the point of ridiculously reasonable. The team in the kitchen and the serving staff are fun and obviously enjoy what they do.

There was one drawback: as an author I do not use up as much energy as my husband and all those lovely carbs go straight to places I don't really need them. For me the portions could have been way smaller.
Nonetheless: the flavours were scrumptious and we loved every bit of it!
Will be back next year and ask for a cyclist portion and a smaller (author) portion. ;-))

• Visited September 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“My Favourite Italian Restaurant in the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I just had lunch at Pasta e Basta during my annual pilgrimage to Provence and the delights of Domaine De Belezy. I say without hesitation that the food and service here are exceptional and worth the 1000 mile trip from Leicester. For a total of only 20 euros I had a sublime goats cheese and tomato starter, superb spaghetti Bolognese that I will ever dream of and chocolate mousse plus a quarter pichet of vin rose and coffee.

If you are ever within any distance of Bedoin, please go there!

Visited August 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
“pasta, but what a delicious kind of pasta!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had lunch at Pasta Basta and immediately made reservations for dinner a day later. Service was 'southern' and very friendly. The lady recommended me the home made pasta . What a difference with the pasta they serve in many other italian restaurants! Italian cuisine is one of my favorites and this italian restaurant is definitely an important reason why to go to Bedoin. For dinner, I think that reservation is necessary, since the restaurant is very often full, especially in the week-end.

• Visited June 2013