All reviewsloire valleytwo nightstouring basetrain linepleasant place to stayroad noisegreat wine listfour starshort drivesmall villagesitting areacomfortable bedstayed one nightgardenchateauxamboisefrance
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Just a few miles NE of Amboise across the river, this little inn has modest, yet adequate rooms, but the fantastic restaurant and superb staff made this hotel our favorite in our whirlwind of a week's stay in France. My college-aged daughter and I were weary from our driving through the countryside and small towns on our third day. Although this hotel was a bit tricky to find (use a map-making website before you leave home), we were treated with such care that we felt refreshed and didn't really want to leave the next day. Several staff members are fluent or nearly so in English. That in itself was a treat to our weary minds and tongues, but their kindness exceeded anything we found elsewhere. We were escorted to our room since it was beginning to get dark outside. They helped us understand how to make phone calls within France and to the States. Even upon our departure, when we thought (mistakedly, I suppose) that we had been locked inside our room since my daughter had turned in our key before we had finally exited, we were "rescued" with a smile. Perhaps our excitedness/weariness and the somewhat older door handle did not make a good match.

Now I must tell of the incredible food! From comments I found online, I figured this would be our grandest meal. I was not disappointed. The friendly manager gave us recommendations in impeccable English. His manner was warm, yet dignified. He was just kindness in the flesh. My daughter LOVED the "starter" which was the size of her usual meal at home -- roasted pork and spinach encrusted in delicate layers of pastry. When she didn't like the main course she had ordered (which the manager had frankly warned us about--a local sausage), Francois returned a bit later and gently asked her if the meal was "difficult" for her. What a kind way to say it! She felt no reprimand from him. No defensiveness on his part. He offered her a piece of fish or some cheese which she declined due to the ample "starter" course she had already eaten. Minutes later, the waiter for our table also asked her if she didn't want something else from the kitchen. Anyway, we felt cared for. By the way, my duck course was very good. Our desserts were scrumptous. Even my coffee was presented with a small plate of additional sweet tidbits. Attention to presentation and taste were flawless for each course.

The relaxing country-side location, four-star meal, and caring staff made this our favorite stay in all our 8 nights in France.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank dkhbooks
Reviewed March 22, 2007

We recently stayed at the Auberge after reading the excellent reviews . We also thought it was absolutely charming and advise anyone travelling in the area to make the effort and find this wonderful little gem. We received a very warm welcome from our host who spoke perfect english and were shown to a simple but spacious room overlooking the garden, our visit was in March and I am sure it must be stunning in the summer.
Our host suggested demi pension as this was slightly cheaper, however when we went for dinner there was no choice. We had a goats cheese starter followed by fish and then a warm apple tart, it was delicious but I wish we had stuck with our original idea and had the oppotunity to choose something from the very interesting and comprehensive a la carte menu. We ate in the conservatory overlooking the floodlight garden and had an excellent bottle of wine from a producer in the nearby village. The following morning we drove to the village and did one of the many tours and tastings that are available in this area.
We would most definitely stay there again and if you go there then make the journey to Amboise and visit Leonardo da Vinci's beautiful house and lovely gardens.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank CatG
Reviewed June 21, 2006

Auberge de Launay -
If you must stay in town, at least treat yourself to a meal in the restaurant.
My wife and I had a week here in May, at the start of a month in Europe,and it still sits in our memory as a highlight. The setting is very relaxing and peceful. The staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful.
The food was never bettered anywhere else in France or Italy or the UK.
It is the essence of the Loire Valley, so central and so relaxing, and such great value for money, it really is a hidden gem. We used it as a touring base and really looked forward to coming home each night to the superb meals and setting.
I only wished they ran a cooking school.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank wally213
Reviewed June 2, 2006

My husband and I spent three nights here in May while we toured the Loire Valley. When we were driving to the property we were a little bit concerned that it was out of the way but our concerns turned out to be unfounded. Since we were touring the Loire Valley, it was a perfect home-base. The Auberge itself is very beautiful with a wonderful patio garden. Once we got there and saw our garden view room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was a fair size and very clean. The wood beams are a nice touch and to add to the atmosphere.

We were on the half-board plan and the supper (four-course meal) and breakfast (bread and pastries) were excellent. In fact, the meals we had here were the best that we had during our two-week vacation in France. All of the staff are very helpful and accommodating. We would most definitely stay here again as it was an awesome value.

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank tulip003
Reviewed March 30, 2006

A superb place to stay. The restaurant, service and hoteliers are first class. We planned staying one night and decided it was so good to stay again on our return, and we are going back this month. You just have to eat there. Close to the caves if you want to visit the wine cellars too.

• Stayed: September 2005