See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Friendly (English speaking) receptionist took great care to show me the room thoroughly. The room (215) was spacious, very clean and comfortable. It had a good fridge, although the TV was pretty old - but I didn't watch it anyway. See comments below on getting a good room. There are no room safes but you can leave stuff at the reception if valuable. The wifi internet worked every time and the speed was good. The AC was very powerful (good) but a bit noisy so I turned it off at night (bad). Comfortable quite firm bed - I slept well.

The hotel is conveniently situated right on highway 2 which joins up onto Autopista 22 or goes straight into Arecibo (about 10 mins). If you are ariving into San Juan try and avoid the evening rush hour as the traffic is terrible (like the driving...). Travel time from San Juan airport to this hotel can be from 1 hour to 3 hours.

The associated restaurant looks at first sight a bit like a "cafe" but actually the service was friendly and the food was very tasty (try the garlic bread strips - which are complimentary - and the coffee). It is also open from 5:30 in the morning to late so availability is good.

Be careful with security in Puerto Rico - don't leave anything valuable in your car. A friend had hers broken into and rifled in plain sight in a relatively busy car park while we were there.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back of the hotel away from the road - and preferably not in the "annex" building above the restaurant as this is next to the road junction where the locals like to rev their bikes and a bright glowing billboard (although the curtains dealt with this fine).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Peter C
Reviewed December 13, 2012

There are not too many choices in the Arecibo area, but El Buen is a good pick. The rooms are clean and spacious, but with nothing fancy. The internet speed is good. The hotel staff was quite friendly and helpful to someone who does not speak Spanish. It also conveniently next door to the companion El Buen Cafe, so there is no problem finding a good place to eat. It can be a little noisy from the street traffic, but not bad.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DawnandPete F
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our family of 3 adults stayed here for one night during a quick 3-day jaunt around Puerto Rico. Although the hotel is right on a major road amidst suburban development, the room was quiet and impeccably clean and comfortable. The restaurant was great for a very affordable breakfast, and the location is perfect for visiting the Rio Camuy Caverns, Arecibo Observatory, and north coast beaches from Isabella east to Punta Mar Chiquita (all of which we very highly recommend!) Our only issue is that the map on hotels.com (which we used to book our stay) showing the hotel's location was inaccurate. It was off by about 2 miles (said it was at PR 2 and PR 130 intersection, which is not true!). After using our phone's GPS, we did find the hotel by driving about 2 miles further east. All in all, El Buen is a very clean, modern, comfortable, reasonably priced, and convenient place to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank scottandelaine
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a friend and I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is a small building and is off of a highway. It's an older building but it is well maintained. The staff was wonderful to us! I've stayed at five star hotels in San Juan and this hotels customer service outshines any service I've had in San Juan. Hands down. The rooms are older and worn but very clean. Housekeeping does a great Job. There is a pool and it is well maintained and very clean. The best part was the resturant across the street. I ate there everyday because the food was so good! The staff there at the resturant was just as hospitable. The only complaint I had was the last night we stayed there was a banquet of some sort and the music was so loud it hit us up on the second floor. We had to be up at 3am to head back home so that was rough bc the music ended at midnite. Other than that our stay was nice and comfortable. I would stay here again during the week bc it is quaint place. Kudos to the staff for making us feel welcome.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Was in Puerto Rico on business for a whole week. Every other hotel was able to provide an invoice except this one. The restaurant was not as I had heard. Not a pleasant experience for both breakfast and dinner. Too much noise also. Do not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business